Code of Conduct

Arrow Oudhs & Attars from Ahmedabad, India.

Firstly, a big hearted thanks to our Bner AK3D who sent me these glorious blends of Attars and Oudhs. Never before have i got a chance to test whats available right here, in India. Thanks for giving me this chance brother! btw, these blends are made by a local perfumer of whom AK3D is a customer.

Dehnul Oudh - AK3D mentioned this is Grade B oudh yet, in his humble opinion, this rates as one of the best out there and most sought after by the international market. i dont smell anything grade B about it. it's an high quality absolute which is brownish/grey in color and is very viscous, thick & resinous.

Now i know what they mean by fecal and i can surely relate to what they meant by - "smells like a man's behind." but luckily, the fecal element fades in 10 minutes and what we have left with is a very barnyardish smell with hints of soapiness. very strange feeling. i feel like i'm standing in a cowshed with a soap bar in hand. dunno why i have the soap in hand, but i sure feel good that i have it with me. i guess what im tryign to tell is, this oudh along with it's barnyardish smell has a very soapy (and i mean a a wet soap bar up your face soapy) accord hovering (lightly) over it making the blend very, very interesting. let an hour pass by and this oudh will just touch you with it's humility. soft, juicy, woody accords reveals hint of sweetness, like sandalwood. by basenotes, the Oudh gets softer and rounder with the barnyardish smell omnipresent with a richer & fuller woody accord.

It's so wonderful to see how "one" note is capable of evoking such depth & complexity in accords and most importantly, it's multifaceted.. no wonder once you taste these quality of oudhs, rest would pale in comparison.

Mukammalt Oudh special: Sweet Jesus..i never thought i'd say this but, this one is capable of knocking Montale off his seat. Just a small dab from the roll-on of this viscous juice (not as vicous as Dehnul Oudh) and you feel you applied a lil too much. very refined & gritty combination of rose and saffron. a combination so gritty that your nose feels like you just smelled chilli powder. there is a certain warmth to it, just like red vetyver..i would term red vetiver as "Hot" ..this blend too is "hot" in that aspect. This one has pretty good staying power and couple of dabs and this should last whole day. Wearing this one is an experience in itself - with the rose getting softer by mids and the saffron still delicious. The surprise factor in this one is sandalwood accord!! intense notes of "real sandalwood oil", simply unbelivable! the combination is darn beautiful as it blends so well with the oudh. The oudh in this one is more of the medicinal kind and not like dehnul oudh which is very woody. all in all, a lovely scent and very easily a must have for me, just like all the blends this great BNER has sent me.

Shamamatul Amber - smells like unwashed body at first, fecal to an extent..but slowly this resinous, vicous juice settles down and glares down at you with it's woodiness. This is no doubt, one of the best quality of Ambers blends that i have encountered. The woody accords have a tinge of green to it with a slight mix of mint like herbs. The mint never comes to the forefront but adds a very unique coolness to this blend. by mid notes a clear note of sandalwood adds lot of sweetness to the ambery drydown. if you are bored of conventional Amber based scent then this is something we all need to sit and take note of. The quality is easily niche and the feel, simply outstanding. A big thumbs up.

Sweet Amber - *sighs* ohh lord...is this one of the most beautiful scent i have ever smelled? Have you ever sniffed a scent with a very and i mean..*read slowly* very delicate, sugary soft & sweet, smell of white florals? Im sure most would've have but then, please do add this one to that list. It's the "ultimate" comforting skin scent. Simply outstanding for close encounters. by mids this blend morphs in a soft cloud like comfort. almost like wearing a Talc. lovely stuff. To give a reference..it smells a lot like Montales White Musk or like a super light version of MoslBuddJewChristHinDao by Elternhaus minus the ambergris...but more like Montales White Musk

Khadim - It's a pretty intense Floral with a spciy, herbal heart and woody base. very refreshing attar.the prime acords of this attar is (more of) Frangipani and Ylang-Ylang the notes are not soft, it's very well blended with mint based (gritty and powdery) herbal accords. think of piper nigrum and the type of intensity it offers in it's opening accords in terms of the mentholated herbal accords. however, Khadim, doesnt end up smellin like vicks vapo-rub (which PN does init's opening)...15 minutes down the line the accords settle down to a powdery, gritty mids of spices. hints of pepper tickle the nose and bit of cloves cool it..i can now very clearly detect notes of lime peel..smells a bit candied and beautifully synthetic. .this phase lasts for a real long time with the intensity being consistent...and thts one of the let down for me in this scent.it's lineartp an extent.
    Khadim comes across as a beautiful alternative to fresh scents. it is a floral based mentholated spicy scent with a very warm and powdery glow. one is bound to get inquiries from passerby's on this one coz it smells unique, would stay strong whole day, doesnt smell dated or unpleasant and projects very well.

Zenat - Zenat is beautiful. a Beautiful attar that is.. attar for the ladies (primarily) and Men. it's a Jasmine, Mogra (a variety of Jasmine) & Ylang-Ylang based floral. It smells primarily of this beautiful flower Mogra with Ylang-Ylang lurking in it's heart..never taking the shine away from Mogra.

Mogra as a flower in itself has a very strong and mind numbingly beautiful smell. It also happens to be my favorite scent when it comes to florals. For anyone who likes the smell of Jasmine, this would be right up your alley. A white floral based attar done remarkably well.
    Last edited by jenson; 20th July 2009 at 11:01 AM.

Default Re: Attars and Oudhs from Ahmedabad, India.

Thanks for the info and reviews, Jenson. I hope to visit Mumbai early next year - may chase you down for more info. In the 70s we used to get a beautiful stick incense in NZ from India called 'Mokra' which I assume is the flower you mention - exquisite scent and I never heard or saw the name again - if it is available in a scent then count me as interested! Cheers.

Default Re: Attars and Oudhs from Ahmedabad, India.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Thanks for the info and reviews, Jenson. I hope to visit Mumbai early next year - may chase you down for more info. In the 70s we used to get a beautiful stick incense in NZ from India called 'Mokra' which I assume is the flower you mention - exquisite scent and I never heard or saw the name again - if it is available in a scent then count me as interested! Cheers.

Thnx for your time Mr. R ! I would be only glad to assist you. but, just so you know, these oudhs are being sent to me from Ahmedabad in Gujarat, almost 500 miles afar but then theres a huge market right here in Bomaby too which i havent explored yet. i guess it's about time

as for the insense, i cud definitely give you some leads to procure high quality Incenses. Mokra defnintely sounds like a Mogra based incense. shudnt be hard to find somethin similar.
    Last edited by jenson; 20th July 2009 at 03:21 PM.

Default Re: Oudhs & Attars from Ahmedabad, India.

Nice review Jenson. Makes me wwant to give these a try.

Great to read these descriptions!

Nice read. Thanks Jenson.

Yes, thanks for the heart-felt descriptions. They are very enjoyable to read.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

i bought a Dehnul Oudh by crown perfumes on ebay for like $5.....i can tell you its excellent! best $5 i have ever spent on perfume. i also have their rose and silver....the rose smells really good but you can tell its a synthetic rose.....not as good as montale highness rose lol ...but along the same lines.

i have a friend that went to jorden and brought me home 4 different 10ml oils.....and one in a pouch...i have only tried the one in the pouch....it was a strong amber.

arabian perfume is fun. ....i wish i had the dough to get one of those $500 ones with aoud rose combo. ,,,,i would do anything to sample one of those.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

you may want to try out the Oudh double super grade from RK Sons (different source and nothing to do with the OP) i just got their .25 ml sample (for some $5-8).. and i think this will last me ages. just a micro dab from it is enough to last whole day and next. pretty good stuff. it's oudh from assam. heres the link http://essentialoilscompany.com/

you have a link that lists the samples? smallest one i see is $90
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!

wow jenson i have been trying to scrub these oils off me for like 20 minutes now and i cant get them off me!!!! lol

my stuff for sale!

omg i spilled misk ghazelle all over myself....i am going to smell like this for a week

my stuff for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    you have a link that lists the samples? smallest one i see is $90
    wow jenson i have been trying to scrub these oils off me for like 20 minutes now and i cant get them off me!!!! lol
    omg i spilled misk ghazelle all over myself....i am going to smell like this for a week
    Haha. Funny seeing the progression.

Also, great article!
    Last edited by supracuhz; 22nd October 2009 at 04:09 AM.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!