Code of Conduct

Default Please evaluate my wardrobe

In about three months I've been building my wardrobe, mostly blind buys. Now, I'd like to know what categories I'm missing but may enjoy. Please recommend designer fragrances (niches are too expensive here) to complement my wardrobe. I'd like to focus my sampling before getting more scents in September.

Regarding popular scents that don't really impress me:

- A*Men: too strong
    - Bulgari Aqua & Soir

Scents that I currently like and may acquire:

- Aigner White
    - Aramis 900
    - L'Eau d'Issey
    - L'Eau Bleue d'Issey

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by zliang; 20th July 2009 at 04:35 PM.

Default Re: Please evaluate my wardrobe

You dont have any Caron and they are great and reasonable priced.

Third Man
    Yatagan
    L Anarchiste
    ---------------------------------------
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    You dont have any Caron and they are great and reasonable priced.

Third Man
    Yatagan
    L Anarchiste
    Thanks, Basteri. They have been on my to-try list, but haven't found them at my regular sources. I've bought (vintage, I think) Nocturnes de Caron for wife, though, and she loves it.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

My non-exhaustive 2 cents:

Rose - Ungaro III
    Cedar/Woods - Gucci pH
    Carnation - Zino Davidoff
    Leather Lite - F by Ferragamo Black
    Boozy, Spicy, Lite Amber - Escada Homme
    Woody-Lite Oriental - Ted Lapidus pour Lui or TL Altamir (similar to but lighter than TLpLui)
    Citrus - Esencia Loewe
    Because a Guy Should, at least once - Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

dont give up on Bulgari try PH or PH extreme

You definitely need to spice it up a bit...

Caron 3rd Man would be my suggestion (if you can find them, then other choices would be: Parfums de Nicolai New York, and Bois du Portugal Creed). Also, Cartier Must de Cartier would be great. Finally, Guerlain Heritage and Vetiver will give you a good feel of some classic yet current favorites!

There are some gems in there! As you sample and discover other things, you'll know what you want to keep or trim. Good look with your quest!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    My non-exhaustive 2 cents:
    Thanks for the recommendations. Haven't seen Ungaro III, F, VC&A PH, and the TL's here. The original Gucci PH or the 2003 one? I've tried the original one, but need to resample. I don't plan to have boozy scents. I remember liking Esencia Loewe. I'm a bit hesitant to try Paco Rabanne PH because I've got Worth PH and can't stand it, while the reviews say it's a smoother version of PR PH. How about the Eau version?

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    dont give up on Bulgari try PH or PH extreme
    Yes, I like resampling scents. In fact, just retried Bulgari PH Extreme recently and kind of liked it. My wife is not so impressed, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    You definitely need to spice it up a bit...

Caron 3rd Man would be my suggestion (if you can find them, then other choices would be: Parfums de Nicolai New York, and Bois du Portugal Creed). Also, Cartier Must de Cartier would be great. Finally, Guerlain Heritage and Vetiver will give you a good feel of some classic yet current favorites!
    Thanks. PdN and BdP would be out of my budget. I also think that I've got too many formal scents. Must de Cartier was interesting, but not enough to warrant an FB. I've tried Guerlain Vetiver recently and plan to resample. I haven't seen Heritage here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    There are some gems in there! As you sample and discover other things, you'll know what you want to keep or trim. Good look with your quest!
    Thanks. Sampling is one of my favorite activities during weekends.

Dependent

I highly suggest Paco Rabanne PH. At least give it a sampling. Its lovely imo and very raw, green and leafy smelling. Haven't come across another scent that smells quite like it....

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I highly suggest Paco Rabanne PH. At least give it a sampling. Its lovely imo and very raw, green and leafy smelling. Haven't come across another scent that smells quite like it....
    How's the current scent compared to the old splash bottle? Has it been reformulated?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    How's the current scent compared to the old splash bottle? Has it been reformulated?
    I only own and tried the current spray one. I haven't heard much on reformulations, though I have seen the older bottles around, it never crossed my mind to sample for difference... If you could, try both, though the current one is jolly good imo
    Last edited by MFJ; 21st July 2009 at 07:52 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. Haven't seen Ungaro III, F, VC&A PH, and the TL's here. The original Gucci PH or the 2003 one? I've tried the original one, but need to resample. I don't plan to have boozy scents. I remember liking Esencia Loewe. I'm a bit hesitant to try Paco Rabanne PH because I've got Worth PH and can't stand it, while the reviews say it's a smoother version of PR PH. How about the Eau version?
    I meant the 2003 one. But now its mentioned, the original GpH was fantastic. Availability may be a problem at your end though. However, if you can get it, grab it!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I only own and tried the current spray one. I haven't heard much on reformulations, though I have seen the older bottles around, it never crossed my mind to sample for difference... If you could, try both, though the current one is jolly good imo
    I too would recommend that you give PRpH a try. True, its been reformulated. I have used all versions since the 70's and can say that the current formulation is to a large extent true to the original. If you haven't used the original version you would not be missing much.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Suggestions:
    Bois du Portugal or Nicolai New York (expensive)
    Boss Bottled (Marshalls)
    Burberry London (Marshalls)
    Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve (cheap online)
    Armani Remix He (Marshalls)
    Gucci Pour Homme or Tommy Bahama
    Havana when its re-released or Montana Parfum D'Homme (Montana cheap online)
    Jazz (Marshalls)
    Opium (Marshalls)
    Oscar DLR Pour Lui
    Quorum Silver (Marshalls)
    Rochas Man
    Safari (Marshalls)
    Unbound (cheap online)
    Versace Man (Marshalls)

I'm not going to give a recommendation because your wardrobe looks very nice to me. I wouldn't worry about categories and would just go with whatever you find that strikes your fancy.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I meant the 2003 one. But now its mentioned, the original GpH was fantastic. Availability may be a problem at your end though. However, if you can get it, grab it!

I too would recommend that you give PRpH a try. True, its been reformulated. I have used all versions since the 70's and can say that the current formulation is to a large extent true to the original. If you haven't used the original version you would not be missing much.
    Interestingly, the original GpH (which I've sniffed on paper) and the splash version of PRpH are available for me currently. I've even seen Sport de Paco Rabanne. I'll start another thread on PRpH, Sport, and Eau. My main worry is the quality of the juice in the old bottles, especially when I don't know how they're supposed to smell.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    I'm not going to give a recommendation because your wardrobe looks very nice to me. I wouldn't worry about categories and would just go with whatever you find that strikes your fancy.

Have fun!
    Thanks; that's what I've been doing, but over the time I think I have too many scents of the some groups. I'd like to avoid that because I don't plan to have a huge collection. For example, recently I sampled Givenchy Pi Fraiche and liked it, but I don't think I'll go for it as I've got several sweet scents. I prefer to diversity the "vibe."
    Last edited by zliang; 22nd July 2009 at 01:39 AM.