Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Samsara Parfum UPDATED Is my bottle fake?

I love Samsara EDT and Ive found a good price for the parfum on eBay. Has anyone tried the parfum? I've heard a few negative things about it, some have called it 'plasticky' Id be interested in hearing your thoughts.
    Last edited by Candy Perfume Boy; 22nd August 2009 at 01:21 PM.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Default Re: Samsara Parfum

The original version was lovely, it was warmer than the EdT and it did not have that roughness to it. It really focused on the santal de Mysore, which newer versions would be lacking do to restrictions. It was just a really wonderfully warm, enveloping, spicy and exotic scent experience. If this is an older bottle, I would not even hesitate a half second.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

I don't know how old mine is, but I'm a fan of the parfum.

I bought an older bottle on ebay (don't know exactly how old, but it was listed as older and it looked it). The scent is just gorgeous. I haven't tried a newer version, so I can't compare. The edt doesn't do much for me.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

I have my original bottle of EDP from the 80s.Unfortunately the top notes smell funny, but the drydown is divine. I did not take good care of my perfumes in the 80s, I did not know better and had them on display (without boxes).
    Evenstar

The parfum version stays closer to the skin than the edt which leaves more sillage. I don't get a "plastic" note from my bottle. Frankly as both versions are very longlasting, not one more than the other, I would get the extrait simply for its divine presentation more than anything else.

My edt also comes in the older design. I probably have it for more than 12 years and it still smells perfect, maybe even stronger than before.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric View Post
    The parfum version stays closer to the skin than the edt which leaves more sillage. I don't get a "plastic" note from my bottle. Frankly as both versions are very longlasting, not one more than the other, I would get the extrait simply for its divine presentation more than anything else.

My edt also comes in the older design. I probably have it for more than 12 years and it still smells perfect, maybe even stronger than before.
    Is the old style bottle the clear one with the red lid?

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Yes, the new one is all red.

Basenotes Plus

UPDATE: I bought a 30ml bottle of this on eBay and I think the bottle may be off or doesn't contain the right juice. It starts with a weird green opening and goes straight to the vanilla/sandlewood dry-down and does not last long at all. Can I send someone who has the parfum a sample so they can compare it?

I've done a side by side test with the EDP and it smells completely different.

Default Re: Samsara Parfum UPDATED Is my bottle fake?

All three versions - EdT, EdP and P differ significantly. EdT is sharpest and greenest of all three, the pure perfume is heaven on Earth :-) Best of all three, definitely.

Just wanted to add that I also got the older version. And the older version is *way way* more refined and beautiful compared to the new version which I do not like. Completly different indeed. If you can find the older version, buy it!

What would be the reasonable price to buy the parfum (.25 or .5oz)? Some pictures to compare the old and new versions would also be helpful.

I've got this mini of Samsara parfum. Is it the old or new version? The copyright is 1988.

I believe that that is the older version. In my experience, the newer Samsara parfum bottles print the name all spread out, like S A M S A R A. Also, I have heard that the serial number on the bottom will be letters if pre-reformulation, but numbers if after. Both my mini and full-size bottles of Samsara extrait have letter serial numbers, and both are in red bottles. The clear bottles were only used for EdT and EdP, the parfum has always been in all-read bottles as far as I know.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Basenotes Plus

Can I send a dab of my parfum to someone experienced with it so they can determine what's wrong with it?

Libertine - pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    I believe that that is the older version. In my experience, the newer Samsara parfum bottles print the name all spread out, like S A M S A R A.
    Thanks, Mo. I have a couple of other bottles (Shalimar EdT & Sublime EdP) that I'd like to know about.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=238843

I found this thread as a I was obsessing about the various Samsaras--old new, EDT, EDP, parfum...
    How did this mystery end?
    Libertine, did you compare a sample to what you bought?
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Basenotes Plus

The mystery is still a mystery!

I have this bottle- it's the older one. Gorgeous!!! A show stopper of a perfume

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    I've got this mini of Samsara parfum. Is it the old or new version? The copyright is 1988.

WoW! Looks lovely!!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I also managed to track down the older version edt with the Samsara letters closer together in a taller font- and there is just a "smoothness" to the older version with more actual sandalwood...creamy smooth && delicious.

I have the original EdP, bought back in the 80s. It's still good. Samsara was the first perfume that I totally fell head over heels in love with and had to have. I was living in Germany at the time, when I started smelling it on people passing by on the street. I went into Hertie's perfume department and started sniffing everything, trying to find what it was that smelled so good. After dozens of trials - bingo! I finally found it and bought a full bottle on the spot, appalled at how much I was spending. I don't regret it, especially now that Mysore sandalwood is practically non-existent.