Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Natural perfume sampling group

I had received natural perfume samples from generous Basenoters - Ajne (Kumquat) and Profumo.it (Aiona) -- many thanks! Given that natural perfumes are hard to source, I had an idea -- what if we do a small sampling 'ring'. This will give an opportunity for a small group (there's enough for 5 people I think) to sample natural perfumes that are otherwise hard to obtain or costly to sample. So we need 4-5 people.

Once we have the people, I can mail the package out to the next person. A few ground rules: you can keep the samples up to 5 days to test. Optional: If you love something, feel free to keep one or two samples, but please replace them with an equal number of samples of 100% natural fragrances -- any house goes. Or just send on the samples as you received them to the next person on the list. The final person will mail the 'reshuffled' samples to me.

Here are the samples I have on hand:

Ajne:
    Désir
    Espoir
    Printemps
    Savoir

Profumo.it:
    African Queen Black Panther
    African Queen Pink Panther
    Castoreum
    Mona Lisa
    Karo Karounde

Red Flower:
    Ambrette

Honoré des Prés
    Bonté’s Bloom

Who would like to join? Please respond to this thread if you are interested!
    Last edited by kess; 26th July 2009 at 02:55 AM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Default Re: Natural perfume sampling group - now forming

I am very interested in joining this. I don't have any fragrances to add (yet.. wish I had one of my own completed/perfected!) but I could add a small amount of a raw material or two if anyone is particularly interested in one.

Thanks for this awesome opportunity.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Institution

Please sign me up too.

TIA

I would also like to be included if it doesn't matter that I am in Switzerland. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    I would also like to be included if it doesn't matter that I am in Switzerland. Thx
    Alicka -- that's no problem, you'll probably be the last 'leg' of the trip, once we are done with the US.

Just need one or two more people to join.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

I'd be interested in this as well. I have a blend of my own cooking, but if that isn't ready I can always share some samples from a friend who creates some fabulous natural perfumes.

Hi Kess ... Thanx for the excellent idea, and opportunity to share natural scents ... Yes please do add me to the list ... (That is if UK is OK ) ??? ... I may even have one of my very own ready to add to the pile ... finger's crossed ! (But no promises yet !)

Great idea!

Is there any room left? I could add a sample or two from Roxana Illuminated Perfume.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Default Re: Natural perfume sampling group

Thanks to everyone who signed up! Since the US participants are in the Midwest/Central US, we'll just go by the order of people signing up.

BlackCat, sorry, I'll have to put you on the "wait list" of sorts -- since I originally planned on 5 ppl, to be on the safe side; at the end of the round, if there are samples left etc, Sybarite can send to you, and then you to back to me. Hope that's okay!

So itinerary will be:
    US
    1. SculptureOfSoul
    2. Twolf
    3. Outlandish

Switzerland
    4. Alicka61

UK
    5. Sybarite

Waitlist/backup
    US - Blackcat

I'll get the package ready over the weekend, and will mail on Monday.

Once again, thanx Kess ! ... Shall be looking forward to our little shared parcel. ...

Hell, me never being much of a "planner". I don't even remember when last I planned for something so far in advance (LOL)

And Blackcat ... Depending on how the samples reach me. I shall do my utmost to be as "frugal" as I possibly can. So that I may still try pass on to you ! ...
    ~ (I'm a sucker for cats, I am ... They can get just about anything out of me (LOL)

And I am hoping, of course, that there shall be much animated discussion on the frags meanwhile. ... So as to keep us, those lagging behind in the EU, entertained meanwhile ... whilst in an-ti-ci-pa-tion !

No worries! That'll teach me to be slow on the draw.

Seriously, I appreciate the waitlist and Sybarite's kind offer.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Okay, shipped package to SoS today (had to stay home with a sick child yesterday so did not get to the post office).

As I packed Ajne samples I realized they are pretty small to begin with. Ajne stuff is potent so hopefully there will be enough for a sniff for everyone. But apologies in advance, especially to Alicka and Sybarite, if some samples do not reach you.

Anyone know, by any chance, where along the chain we have gotten to with these samples ???

I mean I was obviously expecting them to take a long while to get to me. But now after two whole months I am starting to feel like I will never get to see them ??? ... Has someone along the line just decided to keep them ??? ... Or did they all just "dry up" before they had a chance to get to me ???

Would this be the case ??? ....

Anyone got any info for me please ????

Basenotes Institution

I was supposed to be the second one after SoS and I have neither heard from him, nor did I receive anything in the mail. Do you guys still need my address (it is a P.O.Box now)?

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I am very interested in joining this. I don't have any fragrances to add (yet.. wish I had one of my own completed/perfected!) but I could add a small amount of a raw material or two if anyone is particularly interested in one.

Thanks for this awesome opportunity.

Oi ... SculptureOfSoul ... what ever did happen to these samples ??? ... Did you ever receive them ???

And if so ... Why did you not pass them on as arranged ???

Do please enlighten us on what is going on ???

Basenotes Institution

Should we PM him for details? You or me? Or kess? (she has not been here on BN since Sept.19, judging by her Public Profile).

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Should we PM him for details? You or me? Or kess? (she has not been here on BN since Sept.19, judging by her Public Profile).
    Yes I think we should definitely ask him. ... And perhaps you, being "second in line", "Twolf", maybe you should ask him !? ... Yep, I think you should PM him for details. For he doesn't seem to be responding to this thread ! ...

Do please come report here when you have heard from him please !

But if you don't want to ... I will !

Basenotes Institution

Will do it right now, darling!

Will do it right now, darling!

Cheers, thanx Twolf ! ... It will be interesting to finally get to the bottom of this mystery ??? For I have been wondering about it for months now ! ...

Basenotes Institution

Just for everyone to know: we had a PM exchange with SoS, he was busy with some family issues -- sometimes life happens to all of us, does not it happen to you? -- and this sampling was put on the back burner, of sorts. He said that he will mail the samples out next week, I gave him my address.

Sorry everyone - I did get tied up in a number of things and had put aside the samples and forgot to get back to them.

I am really sorry for holding up the group. In return for that I'm going to include samples of a handful of natural essences - i've got about 160 oils/absolutes here to choose from.

If there's anything in particular you'd like me to send along, just mention it here in the thread or shoot me a PM and I'll include a sample of it if I have the oil or absolute in question.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd October 2009 at 03:40 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Sounds like a great group, I think we need more of these!

Castoreum:

Castoreum is not quite what I expected. Castoreum comes from the castor sacs of beavers, which are not true glands and as such it is not a glandular component such as the extract of civet is.I expected something dark and extremely potent, perhaps even fecal (a simple and ignorant assumption due to the location of the castor sacs), and while it is dark it is neither extremely potent nor fecal.

Castoreum starts out with a strange top note, to me reminiscent of gasoline but with more body. It's not that unlike the top notes of labdanum essential oil, and calls to mind also the synthetic geranium one finds in the heart of something like 10 Corso Como or even Terre d'Hermes. The aromatic and slightly harsh qualities quickly fade to reveal a smooth and deep scent that made me think of rubber - not the rubber of tires so much but a harder and denser rubber. The scent of a rubber sanding block, perhaps. There is a hint of something animalic or perhaps even a human like nuance that made me think of black cumin oil, although it didn't smell particularly cumin-ish; it simply had that kind of human odor that cumin so often imparts. The next scent that came to mind is leather - not suede or anything soft, but fresh and raw leather. A well worn saddle, imbued also with the scent of the horse rather than a finely tailored pair of shoes.

The texture of the scent is smooth and neither wet, dry, nor creamy. Simply smooth and full bodied.

Testing on skin it quickly became a skin scent although persisted for a long time. As time went on it became dryer but retained its leathery and dark qualities.

Another random association that came to mind while sniffing was the scent of working on a car.. oil, car grease, etc.

While sniffing I was thinking of how one might replicate this using only essential oils and my initial thoughts are as follows:

Castoreum accord:
    1 part valerian root (green/earthy/dirty/musky, 'dark')
    0.5 parts cepes (mushroom) absolute (earthy, dirt, musk, 'dark')
    2 parts patchouli dark oil (green, earthy, smooth texture, 'dark')
    0.5 parts black cumin cold pressed oil (dirty, human nuances)
    4 parts labdanum essential oil (rough then smooth, leathery, gas/geranium/pine like topnote, 'bright')
    1 part labdanum absolute (smooth, leathery)
    0.05 parts cade oil (dark, smoke, leather)

multiplied out to 1 part minimum =

20 parts valerian
    10 parts cepes
    40 parts patchouli
    10 parts black cumin
    80 parts labdanum
    20 parts labdanum abs
    1 part cade oil
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 16th October 2009 at 06:08 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

SoS--could you cross post this in the Castoreum topic of the Note Pad forum?

Will do. More thoughts on many other scents coming soon!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Thanks SoS

Basenotes Institution

Is it coming my way any time soon? ( "Next week" from October 2. was all over with a week or so ago).

Promises.......................................... .....................................

Basenotes Institution

16 days and counting since the last promise.

16 days and counting since the last promise.

Perhaps we should find out who is still interested in being in this group , or who has perhaps decided to drop out ???

"Twolf" (once you finally get these ) , Do you know who you will be mailing them out to , and if they are still interested in getting them or not ???

Basenotes Institution

Syb., as per kess' schedule outlined in Post # 9, I am sending to Outlandish (OK, USA), and she is sending to Switzerland and then they travel on to you to the UK. You are -- if there is anything left -- sending it back to the US, to Blackcat.

All participants are active members and I have seen each of them online at least once this past weekend.