Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte -- The Mass Market Exclusif?? Hermessence Wannabe?

Aside from La Nuit de L'Homme I also tested Cristalle Eau Verte since the Chanel boutique was nearby.

I was surprised by this. It starts off very lighthearted and lemony and very pleasant, but unexpectedly unisex. Even the Chanel SA said so. The way I remember the original Cristalle, it seemed to be masculine too in the beginning, but it did have a solid floral heart with a green base anchored by oakmoss. Eau Verte deepens to a floral heart, but the notes of magnolia, jasmine, blah, blah, blah is really not the focus because the composition is abstract and devoid of indoles and had mild ozonic and/or aquatic notes, and something that reminded me of grapefruit and vetiver at the base. Speaking of which, it definitely had a Hermessence feel to it, something like Osmanthe Yunnan or the drydown of Vanille Galante or even Jardin Apres La Mousson without the cumin. If they injected cedar or birch into the scent it would've been the newest Chanel fragrance for men.

It had that transparency that reminded me of the Exclusifs--they could've easily thrown it into the big bottles of the line and demanded more money.

Eau de Toilette Concentree is about right--5 hours into the wearing and I still smell it going strong--so I gather this is a very synthetic frag because usually scents with more natural essences fizzle on me, especially in this summer heat.

This one is definitely worth a sniff!
    Last edited by iMaverick; 22nd July 2009 at 03:43 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Default Re: Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte -- The Mass Market Exclusif?? Hermessence Wannabe?

Nice report, hopefully they'll have this at Duty Free as I'm flying to Frankfurt on Thursday. I love the original, but seldom wear it. Perhaps Sheldrake had his hand in this one?
    Thanks for sharing your experience, it is inspiring.

Default Re: Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte -- The Mass Market Exclusif?? Hermessence Wannabe?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Nice report, hopefully they'll have this at Duty Free as I'm flying to Frankfurt on Thursday.
    Frankfurt! I loved Frankfurt on my visit there! I'm definitely jealous. If they do have it at the Duty Free (they didn't have it at our DFS store), you won't get a discount off the retail price since Chanel perfume prices are fixed if I recall correctly. At least you qualify for a refund off the sales tax I believe. If you will be in Frankfurt Am Main, the Chanel boutique is 2 or 3 blocks away from the train station, and about a block away from the Oper Haus I believe.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 22nd July 2009 at 03:54 AM.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Basenotes Institution

When I tested the Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere, I felt like it was quite unisex as well...so maybe Chanel is starting to de-genderize the flankers of their classic scents, one scent at a time?

Is it very lime prominent (as the title suggests)?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd July 2009 at 04:39 PM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

If you like crunchy green sugary tea, then you will like Cristalle Eau Verte. Your milleage may vary of course, but I thought it was AWFUL, and nothing like Cristalle at all.

A generic green mess.

Lime? Nary a lime to be found, at least not to my nose. And I adore green by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    When I tested the Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere, I felt like it was quite unisex as well...so maybe Chanel is starting to de-genderize the flankers of their classic scents, one scent at a time?

Is it very lime prominent (as the title suggests)?
    As for the lime, I would say yes, though it's been paired with a good amount of orange blossom. The result is this fresh-squeezed smell, smells more orangey to me, though I don't feel it is fizzy as it was commented elsewhere on blogsites. Verte, in this case, doesn't refer to leafy or grassy as one would with N19, but fresh floral green, citrus green, or (subdued) vetiver green. The result is very abstract.

De-genderization...you know, I think this has been the hallmark of Chanel since her first creation of pants for women. It followed through to her perfumes too. Quite evident in N22, N19, Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie--at least by modern standards today.

Jacques Polge, whether it is his intention or not, has always incorporated this de-genderization concept by rather pronounced masculine notes in his womens formulations that he has created or reworked, e.g., N5 EdP and EdT, N19 EdP and EdT, Chance, N5 Eau Premiere (which reminds me of Chance), and of course Les Exclusifs.

With the creation of Eau Verte, you can definitely tell that they are contending grounds with Hermes, and perhaps even Prada's Infusions.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 22nd July 2009 at 07:12 PM.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    ...but I thought it was AWFUL, and nothing like Cristalle at all.
    You're right, it doesn't smell anything like Cristalle at all, except for perhaps the impression of it in the original's opening notes. The proportioning and interpretation is all different, much like what was done with Eau Premiere.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    A generic green mess.
    Generic? Naw, I thought Exclusifs Eau de Cologne was generic--same with Chance. Green mess? That was my thought with Cristalle EdP. I couldn't really get into its middle notes and into the drydown.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 22nd July 2009 at 07:15 PM.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I tried it today at JFK Duty Free. First impressions: it smells like Allure Homme Edition Blanche. Actually, this could be any number of recent, lime topped, mojito masculines. (Guerlain Homme also comes to mind.)
    This is what is referred to as 'a quick one.' It may prove to be popular with the guys, we'll see.
    Next!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th July 2009 at 11:28 AM.