Default Jalaine, your opinions!

Hi I would like to try some the following fragrances from the Jalaine line:

Patchouli

Vanilla

Vetiver

Silk

Gardenia

Citrus Dream

However even the samples are quite pricey (shipping to UK, customs etc....), are they worth the get? I have read the reviews and they look appealing but I wonder whether the amount would last, even though it is oil based.

I have done a forum search but I feel this requires a new thread. Opinions on Longevity, method of application to make it last and general feeling about this fragrance house. Much appreciated.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jalaine, your opinions!

Silk smelled like vanilla cake to me. If you do not like gourmand type fragrances, you will probably not like this one.

Post Thanks / Like

I've enjoyed most of them, and I also highly recommend Amber, which is dark and resinous rather than sweet like some ambers can be. The oils are long lasting, and 100% natural, if that's important to you.

You can buy a set of 9 samples for Jalaine's web site (In addition to those you listed, the sample set also includes Green Tea, Amber and Ocean). Cost is $19 + shipping, and vials arrive fuller than .25 ml advertized (I got about .3 to .4 ml in each vial). This is a great deal considering that TPC sells a sample set of 7 for $48, but I'm not sure what int'l shipping is. US shipping was pretty reasonable, my total came up to $22 if I recall correctly.

In short, I do recommend that you try them!
    Last edited by kess; 13th June 2009 at 02:59 PM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    I've enjoyed most of them, and I also highly recommend Amber, which is dark and resinous rather than sweet like some ambers can be. The oils are long lasting, and 100% natural, if that's important to you.

You can buy a set of 9 samples for Jalaine's web site (In addition to those you listed, the sample set also includes Green Tea, Amber and Ocean). Cost is $19 + shipping, and vials arrive fuller than .25 ml advertized (I got about .3 to .4 ml in each vial). This is a great deal considering that TPC sells a sample set of 7 for $48, but I'm not sure what int'l shipping is. US shipping was pretty reasonable, my total came up to $22 if I recall correctly.

In short, I do recommend that you try them!
    There doesn't seem to be any sample arrangement on the website other than to buy a full bottle
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Post Thanks / Like

Silk was too heavy and cloying by far, to my snout.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    There doesn't seem to be any sample arrangement on the website other than to buy a full bottle
    http://www.jalainefragrances.com/jal...ragrances.html

You can't buy individual samples on the website. On the bottom right hand corner of the page is the set of 9 samples that kess mentioned. They come in a small mesh pouch. I'm not sure what international shipping costs are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post

You can't buy individual samples on the website. On the bottom right hand corner of the page is the set of 9 samples that kess mentioned. They come in a small mesh pouch. I'm not sure what international shipping costs are.
    oh yeh sorry my web page browser is set up differently and I missed it, thanks.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 13th June 2009 at 09:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend Patchouli. I share a bottle with my Wife. It's worth the money. You only need a dab at a time. I don't think the rest of the line warrants the high cost.

Wow, i was tempting to order from LS but i am glad that i opened this thread. Do anybody knows how long does it take to reach the U.S.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    Wow, i was tempting to order from LS but i am glad that i opened this thread. Do anybody knows how long does it take to reach the U.S.
    Jalaine is based in New York, shipped via USPS - 2-3 days

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Jalaine is based in New York, shipped via USPS - 2-3 days

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Jalaine, your opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I highly recommend Patchouli. I share a bottle with my Wife. It's worth the money. You only need a dab at a time. I don't think the rest of the line warrants the high cost.
    point noted, thank you. I will nonetheless try to sample the others just for completeness sake. The fragrances look delicious!!!

I ordered Sunday and today it's Thursday and still nothing has come in the mail, the tracking still have not shown any progress . Is this normal i only live in Ga.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    I ordered Sunday and today it's Thursday and still nothing has come in the mail, the tracking still have not shown any progress . Is this normal i only live in Ga.
    I've ordered two sets of samples in the last few months with no problem - in fact most samples were overfilled. If you placed the order Sun, they probably didn't get it until Mon and its not unreasonable to give a couple days processing at least. The entire 'operation.l is probably one person, maybe twwo. They're honest 100% so you need not worry. I rarely even notice something hasn't arrived until at least 7-10 days after ordering.

As for the oils themselves they are remarkable. I love the Silk, Vetiver, and Vanilla. Don't expect EdTs because they very much behave like oils (requiring body heat to project, low sillage great longevity).

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    I've ordered two sets of samples in the last few months with no problem - in fact most samples were overfilled. If you placed the order Sun, they probably didn't get it until Mon and its not unreasonable to give a couple days processing at least. The entire 'operation.l is probably one person, maybe twwo. They're honest 100% so you need not worry. I rarely even notice something hasn't arrived until at least 7-10 days after ordering.

As for the oils themselves they are remarkable. I love the Silk, Vetiver, and Vanilla. Don't expect EdTs because they very much behave like oils (requiring body heat to project, low sillage great longevity).
    Thank you.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend Vetiver and Patchouli. I wear Citrus Dreams often too, but a guy may find it a little too sweet.

I don't display my fragrances so I choose to buy the refills and save $$$. But the top of the plastic dabber often gets all wonky and I end up needing to pour it all into a new (but still much cheaper) bottle. Another thing I've noticed over the years is the scent varies a little from batch to batch. It's still one of my favorite lines though.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm quite pleased to have seen this thread - I've been eyeing samples of the line for a while now. I just ordered the sample pack - I'm a bit obsessive about displaying, so I really hope one of them does it for me because the bottles are great!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I'm quite pleased to have seen this thread - I've been eyeing samples of the line for a while now. I just ordered the sample pack - I'm a bit obsessive about displaying, so I really hope one of them does it for me because the bottles are great!
    I didn't notice how great the bottles were until I saw this:
    http://www.nathanbranch.com/2008/08/...e-vetiver.html

I will have to own that one of these days.

AromiErotici

6ml for $150 ??? Refill 6ml for $90 ??? Are you serious?

AromiErotici

Can anyone justify these prices to me? I am not shy when looking and buying vintage masculines that go into my collection, but these prices even scare the crap out of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Can anyone justify these prices to me? I am not shy when looking and buying vintage masculines that go into my collection, but these prices even scare the crap out of me.
    well, Amouage sells 12 ml of Homage for $350 -- I guess you justify it the same way as you justify Jalaine's prices (or you don't).

Also, Jalaine uses all natural ingredients which must add to the cost.

I'm not defending their pricing, believe me, I've not made the jump beyond the sample pack (at least not yet). But if it sells, it sells.
    Last edited by kess; 19th June 2009 at 07:17 AM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    To start with, these prices are not excessive for either high end oils or even rare extraits (the retail cost of the Caron extrait I purchased two weeks ago was $100/7.5ml). Rare Arabian oils can cost well over $150/ml+ ..... so basically we're talking about a different market segment, genre, and art form of perfumery.

Jalaine oils themselves are high quality, expensive ingredient perfumes. A single dab from the end of a Q-tip is all you need for a day's application, and the .25ml samples themselves yield a 2-3 full wears. The fragrance develops very slowly over many hours. A 6ml bottle is roughly equal to 30 - 40ml of EdP vis a vis number of wears, perhaps even more. The $60 bottle is well worth the money (I intend to buy at least one and then keep others in the refill bottles), it is thick cut crystal/glass that refracts light in a very unique way. The bottle almost looks like it's glowing in the right light.

On a side note, there are many ways to explore vintages (which is really a wholly distinct subject as Jalaine is not vintage) without dropping tons of cash. I recently snagged a mint vintage Pour Monsieur on ebay for $30. Sometimes gambles on ebay don't pay off, but often they do. Unfortunately there simply aren't that many vintage masculines to collect because perfumes weren't marketed to men until the latter end of the 20th century. Luckily many vintage feminines are more 'masculine' by todays standards then what passes as masculine today and thus there are many scents to explore, even for those uncomfortable with feminine notes.

Ultimately the issue of 'justifying cost' really is a red-herring because, as with most products, it comes down to what we personally value and wish to spend our money on. We could all transport ourselves in old Honda Civics but some choose new BMWs. I personally would prefer 6ml of Jalaine Vetiver or Silk at $90 then 3 or 4 modern masculine designers for the same total cost, but that's just me and others may choose differently.

Where does it say that these are all natural?

I'm 99% sure they aren't.. with their listing of Egyptian musks and such.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 19th June 2009 at 09:05 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post

A note for everyone who doesn't live in the USA, I contacted Jalaine and was informed that they don't ship outside the US which is very disappointing, I was really looking forward to ordering the sample pack.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

I didn't say they were all natural, just high quality (perhaps someone else did?).

I'd be glad to help someone get a sample set of country, just PM me and we can make shipping arrangements.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    To start with, these prices are not excessive for either high end oils or even rare extraits (the retail cost of the Caron extrait I purchased two weeks ago was $100/7.5ml). Rare Arabian oils can cost well over $150/ml+ ..... so basically we're talking about a different market segment, genre, and art form of perfumery.

Jalaine oils themselves are high quality, expensive ingredient perfumes. A single dab from the end of a Q-tip is all you need for a day's application, and the .25ml samples themselves yield a 2-3 full wears. The fragrance develops very slowly over many hours. A 6ml bottle is roughly equal to 30 - 40ml of EdP vis a vis number of wears, perhaps even more. The $60 bottle is well worth the money (I intend to buy at least one and then keep others in the refill bottles), it is thick cut crystal/glass that refracts light in a very unique way. The bottle almost looks like it's glowing in the right light.

On a side note, there are many ways to explore vintages (which is really a wholly distinct subject as Jalaine is not vintage) without dropping tons of cash. I recently snagged a mint vintage Pour Monsieur on ebay for $30. Sometimes gambles on ebay don't pay off, but often they do. Unfortunately there simply aren't that many vintage masculines to collect because perfumes weren't marketed to men until the latter end of the 20th century. Luckily many vintage feminines are more 'masculine' by todays standards then what passes as masculine today and thus there are many scents to explore, even for those uncomfortable with feminine notes.

Ultimately the issue of 'justifying cost' really is a red-herring because, as with most products, it comes down to what we personally value and wish to spend our money on. We could all transport ourselves in old Honda Civics but some choose new BMWs. I personally would prefer 6ml of Jalaine Vetiver or Silk at $90 then 3 or 4 modern masculine designers for the same total cost, but that's just me and others may choose differently.
    Using a Q-tip's worth for a days application and 6ml equaling roughly 30-40ml of EDP sounds good, but that doesn't fly on my skin. I am sure some folks will actually get longevity from a very minimal amount, but there's some of us that have dry, absorbing skin. I have been through this with Musk Ghazelle and some other concentrated oils.

As good as the patchouli sounds, I would have to pass since the prices / amounts are prohibitive. I'd have to resort to mixing it with lotion and that's not something I want to do with juice as expensive as this.

Post Thanks / Like

i emailed them to ask if they use natural ingredients, vs synthetic, and they emailed me back to say they have 100% natural ingredients. i guess i have to take their word for it.

if this does not add up or someone has info to the contrary, please let me know!

here's my exchange with them:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

-----Original Message-----
    From: info@jalainefragrances.com [mailto:info@jalainefragrances.com]
    Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 4:02 AM
    Subject: Re: question about ingredients

all natural. thanks!

> Hi --
    >
    > I am wondering if you are using 'natural' or 'synthetic' ingredients. If
    > you use both, what's the typical proportion of natural vs synthetic?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    >
    >
    Last edited by kess; 19th June 2009 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    i emailed them to ask if they use natural ingredients, vs synthetic, and they emailed me back to say they have 100% natural ingredients. i guess i have to take their word for it.

if this does not add up or someone has info to the contrary, please let me know!

here's my exchange with them:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

-----Original Message-----
    From: info@jalainefragrances.com [mailto:info@jalainefragrances.com]
    Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 4:02 AM
    Subject: Re: question about ingredients

all natural. thanks!

> Hi --
    >
    > I am wondering if you are using 'natural' or 'synthetic' ingredients. If
    > you use both, what's the typical proportion of natural vs synthetic?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    >
    >
    There's just no way that is true. First of all, if it were true, I'd think it would be mentioned (as it is a selling point, and *does* help justify the high prices) somewhere on their atrocious website - http://www.jalainefragrances.com/jal...ragrances.html but it isn't.

Secondly, mouse over "Amber" for instance and you'll get a fragrance description.. "Moroccan amber and hints of 3 different white musks." There aren't three varieites of natural white musk available. There aren't any natural white musks occuring.. this is from wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_musk)

"White musk, in the perfume industry, refers to a group of synthetic molecules that replaces natural, animal musk."

I'd refuse to buy from them simply for outright lying to their customers. Combined with their ridiculous pricing.. well, I've no respect for Jalaine as a house.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

I've tested Jalaine Patchouli, Vetiver and Amber and all three are closely related. They smell very rich and deep and wear close to the skin like natural oils normally do. All three seem to be built upon a framework of amber and musks - sweet floral musks or vanilla with a bit of sandalwood. The Amber was bit cloying to me due to the addition of these sweet musks but it does have a depth that is very attractive.

Jalaine Patchouli is a rich amber and sweet musk base plus a bit of patchouli for an oriental slant to the Jalaine house notes. Vetiver is a more grounded forest floor base to the Jalaine sweet notes but with a bit of earthiness woven in. None really show off the notes that they are titled with due to the strength of the base blend, which is a very nice fragrance but it is also very dominant. In the case of either Vetiver or Patchouli if I were blind sniffing these fragrances I would never guess that they were named after their title notes - they are just too hidden in the mix. I like the smell of the Jalaine oil but realize they are Jalaine house notes first and the title note is usually very much secondary.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 19th June 2009 at 03:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, people get really up in arms over things! I really doubt they're lying... their description on the site is not a formula, but rather just a description.

As for the price - they're oils, not EDT or other, so the game is different... in many others, you're paying for the same amount of oil + alcohol solvent.
    I get huge longevity and projection from Amouage Homage when I wear just a few swipes, but that's not for everyone. Just because some skin reacts differently than others doesn't mean something is inherently overpriced.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Wow, people get really up in arms over things! I really doubt they're lying... their description on the site is not a formula, but rather just a description.

As for the price - they're oils, not EDT or other, so the game is different... in many others, you're paying for the same amount of oil + alcohol solvent.
    I get huge longevity and projection from Amouage Homage when I wear just a few swipes, but that's not for everyone. Just because some skin reacts differently than others doesn't mean something is inherently overpriced.
    It is overpriced for me and my skin type, but I say that without malice. "A few swipes" for you is more than likely very different for me.

They sound like they smell awesome, but I guess if I am going to shell out large sums for a desired fragrance, I'll stick to more conventional applications.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Jalaine, your opinions!

There's just no way that is true. First of all, if it were true, I'd think it would be mentioned (as it is a selling point, and *does* help justify the high prices) somewhere on their atrocious website - http://www.jalainefragrances.com/jal...ragrances.html but it isn't.

Secondly, mouse over "Amber" for instance and you'll get a fragrance description.. "Moroccan amber and hints of 3 different white musks." There aren't three varieites of natural white musk available. There aren't any natural white musks occuring.. this is from wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_musk)

"White musk, in the perfume industry, refers to a group of synthetic molecules that replaces natural, animal musk."

I'd refuse to buy from them simply for outright lying to their customers. Combined with their ridiculous pricing.. well, I've no respect for Jalaine as a house.
    With all due respect I think you're overreacting in a couple of respects. A perfumer (or perhaps scentemental) will know better then I, but since most animal musks are banned/no longer used the failure to associate a musk as a non-natural ingredient is hardly a boldfaced lie. Further I assume when I hear 'all natural' it means the use of real absolutes/oils/extractions as opposed to synthetic accords like Iso E, etc and not the use of natural musk. If there is fudging its probably in the list of notes, which every house does to some extent. Quite frankly I don't care or necessarily value 'all natural' and find the best scents sre those that blend naturals and synthetics, but I digress....

What I'm not grasping is the unwillingness to try a houses' entire line (or to pronounce disrespect for the house) because they didn't spend their budget on a fancy website or other marketing-related issues. You mention liking certain Creeds in your signature..... Creed has been outright lying to customers about their house history and their fragrances' histories for years. Further their prices could be thought of as absurd as well ($190 for 75ml of Bois de Cedrat? Are you serious?). Regardless you have seen past Creed doing what you accuse Jalaine of doing because you like the fragrances, and that's what it is really all about - its not about marketing, note lists, websites, etc [please I'm not seeking to start a mind numbing Creed discussion].

As for price, $15/ml is absolutely in line for oils/extraits and not outrageous in the slightest. Similarly sized extraits from popular houses are similarly priced. Caron 7.5ml are $100, Chanel 7.5ml are $90, Hermes 7.5ml range from $120-210, and Guerlain 7.5ml are $110-125. As mentioned before Amouage Hommage is $350/12ml and well thought of on this site. Pricing of extraits takes getting used to if you don't own many.

Ultimately my point is you can't judge without trying them first. Who knows? You may just find one so good that its a value relative to how much you like it.

With regard to the 'skin type' issue others mentioned affecting oil/extrait application: can't say I know much about it, but it's unfortunate that an entire genre of perfumery is shut out because of dry skin......guess I'm lucky with my normal/slightly oily skin type.
    Last edited by shermanirving; 19th June 2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

their sample program sounds very tempting. Thanks to Kess for providin the link.

SOS: whats up buddy where's the love
    Last edited by jenson; 19th June 2009 at 03:18 PM.

Well i received my samples today i did a quick test on Vetiver ,Patchouli and whiped some silk from a broken vial. They are very nice smelling and very unique but wear toooo close to my skin to justify a purchase. However i did say a quick test .

but since most animal musks are banned/no longer used the failure to associate a musk as a non-natural ingredient is hardly a boldfaced lie.
    How is it not? Call a spade a spade. If you are using synthetically derived musks, you are using synthetics, NOT all natural ingredients. So if you use a ton of synthetics recreating the headspace accord of a flower, does that scent suddenly become "all natural"?

And regarding Creed - well, as far as I can tell their history is indeed full of holes and lies. And I respect them much less for that. I tried their scents before I knew or cared about their history and fell for Erolfa. I'm not saying the Jalaine's are not good or even great fragrances.. I'm saying that claiming something is all natural when it clearly isn't combined with (and likely used to justify) their absurd pricing, just crosses my line of what is acceptable.

Yes, it may be hypocritical to accept Creed doing it, but they don't claim to be all-natural (and I'm not arguing that all-natural is better) and their prices are not nearly as absurd given that all Creeds are EDPs. Even one of the more highly priced all natural houses - Ayala Moriel - is considerably cheaper than Jalaine at $110 for 9ml. And she is all natural, and I know the costs involved using all natural ingredients, and I can at least respect her pricing, even if it's more than I would spend for the amount received.

Instead of justifying this behavior we should all be outraged at it (including Creed's behavior) and perhaps, at least in the case of the small artisans, we could make some impact (it seems to have worked with Michael Storer, for instance.. not that he was lying, but that the feedback of perfumistas led to reformulations of scents that were not well received).
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 20th June 2009 at 04:51 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered the sample pack and payed via paypal - without contacting them. WeŽll see if it arrives.

US$ 22.75 to Sweden.

A note for everyone who doesn't live in the USA, I contacted Jalaine and was informed that they don't ship outside the US which is very disappointing, I was really looking forward to ordering the sample pack.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

I wore Vetyver today , it's nice but be ready to look real oily or shiny as they seems to just sit on top of the skin.... mine at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    I just ordered the sample pack and payed via paypal - without contacting them. WeŽll see if it arrives.

US$ 22.75 to Sweden.
    Yes please let us ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Money refunded.

They are sorry and donŽt ship to Sweden.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pelle

US$ 22.75 to Sweden.
    Yes please let us ASAP.
    Yes please let us ASAP.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Post Thanks / Like

I was afraid of this, but Pelle what you can do is log onto the First in Fragrance website and go to the Jalaine page. They sell most of the Jalaine scents (delivered from Germany) but if you look carefully, some of the scents can be gotten via a sample: Green Tea, Patchouli, Amber.

Here you go
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/index.php?cPath=23_46

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Money refunded.

They are sorry and donŽt ship to Sweden.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pelle

US$ 22.75 to Sweden.
    Yes please let us ASAP.