Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    shamu1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Shore, Mass.
    Posts
    2,348
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    A few days ago, I got a bottle of Giorgio For Men, after reading all the positive reviews on BN. Although it's not bad, it doesn't smell to me to be the same fragrance everyone else is raving about. First, it doesn't smell like a "powerhouse" scent - longevity and sillage are decent, but certainly not nuclear like it's described (e.g. "it will kill small animals and babies if overapplied..."). Second, it's been described as a patchouli-based scent, but I smell very little patchouli - it seems pushed into the background.

    The bottle I got was the Elizabeth Arden re-release, not the GBH original release. Was this reformulated when EA took over? I'm reading all different views on this - many say it's the same scent, some say it was reformulated. I'm wondering if I got a stale or skunked bottle. Any feedback would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    I do not know much about this scent in general. I have worn V.I.P. Special Reserve and it's definitely good to go. I assume that the Giorgio for Men version, regardless of formulation ,would not be a strong as V.I.P.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    The new release is very strong IMO. I used two sprays to the chest and got overwhelming sillage for more than 16 hours. Nuclear frag strength in my experience. This one seemed to blossom on the skin. The initial application didn't seem that harmful, but after seveeral hours, I felt like COLOGNE GUY in a big way.

  4. #4
    shamu1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Shore, Mass.
    Posts
    2,348
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I do not know much about this scent in general. I have worn V.I.P. Special Reserve and it's definitely good to go. I assume that the Giorgio for Men version, regardless of formulation ,would not be a strong as V.I.P.
    Has V.I.P. been re-released by EA? I've never tried V.I.P..

    I'm not saying that I don't like the Giorgio. In fact, I'm wearing it this morning (this will be the third full-day wearing for me), and I have to say it's growing on me. I guess my issue is that it's not what I expected. A few BN'ers described it as almost a clone of Givenchy Gentleman (vintage), but I don't smell any similarity at all. Whereas GG was a patchouli warhead, I find Giorgio to be almost a floral oriental, where the vanilla base is very prominent, but the patchouli is really hardly noticeable. I smell more of a carnation note up front. I'm really wondering if my nose is "off".

  5. #5
    shamu1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Shore, Mass.
    Posts
    2,348
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    The new release is very strong IMO. I used two sprays to the chest and got overwhelming sillage for more than 16 hours. Nuclear frag strength in my experience. This one seemed to blossom on the skin. The initial application didn't seem that harmful, but after seveeral hours, I felt like COLOGNE GUY in a big way.
    It's funny you say that. When I posted this thread this morning, it was before I had taken a shower and sprayed on the Giorgio. Because my two prior applications seemed to give me just average longevity (I had only used 3 sprays before), I decided to apply 8 sprays this morning on my arms, chest and hands this morning. It's now 2.5 hours later, and I'm also feeling like "Cologne Guy", so I may have to retract what I said on my initial post!

    I must say that I'm enjoying this fragrance more, although it doesn't smell anything like Givenchy Gentleman to me at all.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    It's funny you say that. When I posted this thread this morning, it was before I had taken a shower and sprayed on the Giorgio. Because my two prior applications seemed to give me just average longevity (I had only used 3 sprays before), I decided to apply 8 sprays this morning on my arms, chest and hands this morning. It's now 2.5 hours later, and I'm also feeling like "Cologne Guy", so I may have to retract what I said on my initial post!

    I must say that I'm enjoying this fragrance more, although it doesn't smell anything like Givenchy Gentleman to me at all.
    Yea, I think no more than 2 sprays to the chest under your shirt. TwoRoads if you read this, Can you chime in on your application method for your favorite? Oh, by the way, I just bought a bottle of this today. I sold my Ice*Men and Givenchy Gentleman to finance it. I just think the mild honeyed moss character suits me more than Givenchy Gentleman. I don't get alot of similarities between the two frags either.

  7. #7
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    I think the re-realease is just as good as the original. I also never saw any similarities to Givenchy Gentleman.

    I never put on 2 sprays of anything - it would be 5-6 sprays.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  8. #8

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think the re-realease is just as good as the original. I also never saw any similarities to Givenchy Gentleman.

    I never put on 2 sprays of anything - it would be 5-6 sprays.
    Put down that sprayer now!

  9. #9
    shamu1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Shore, Mass.
    Posts
    2,348
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    Glad to hear I'm not the only one to fail to see the GG similarity.

    By the way, by the end of my 8-spray day of Giorgio, I now can certainly see why people call it an "80s powerscent"! I really have gotten to like this scent, but I'll definitely tone down the application to four or 5 sprays. That vanilla/musk base was just too overbearing after a couple of hours.

  10. #10

    TwoRoads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,963
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Yea, I think no more than 2 sprays to the chest under your shirt. TwoRoads if you read this, Can you chime in on your application method for your favorite? Oh, by the way, I just bought a bottle of this today. I sold my Ice*Men and Givenchy Gentleman to finance it. I just think the mild honeyed moss character suits me more than Givenchy Gentleman. I don't get alot of similarities between the two frags either.
    Several times over the last few days I ended up discarding partially prepared replies to this thread - work kept interfering with my hobby.

    I am glad the comparison to Givenchy Gentleman has been put to rest. Givenchy Gentleman is a great fragrance but it is in a completely different fragrance family than my beloved Giorgio for Men.

    For twenty years I used three shots to the chest under my shirt. Since discovering Basenotes, I sometimes add a teeny spritz to the underside of my forearms.

    Jock_With_Scents, welcome aboard the Good Ship Giorgio!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  11. #11

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Several times over the last few days I ended up discarding partially prepared replies to this thread - work kept interfering with my hobby.

    I am glad the comparison to Givenchy Gentleman has been put to rest. Givenchy Gentleman is a great fragrance but it is in a completely different fragrance family than my beloved Giorgio for Men.

    For twenty years I used three shots to the chest under my shirt. Since discovering Basenotes, I sometimes add a teeny spritz to the underside of my forearms.

    Jock_With_Scents, welcome aboard the Good Ship Giorgio!
    Thanks, I am glad to be in the club. I will give your application method a test drive on Monday morning when I make it my SOTD. Everyone here probably knows that I am highly sensitive about wearing what I perceive to be 'dated' fragrances (my little obsession I guess), but I don't perceive Giorgio for Men as dated at all even though it is now 25 years old as a fragrance on the market.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 25th July 2009 at 11:24 AM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    Giorgio was created to be a bold scent- no matter the application two or six sprays it is a scent that leaves a lingering cloud.

    I do wish VIP would have been limited released it is so much more floral/powdery - a good spin on the original.

  13. #13

    TwoRoads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,963
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Thanks, I am glad to be in the club. I will give your application method a test drive on Monday morning when I make it my SOTD. Everyone here probably knows that I am highly sensitive about wearing what I perceive to be 'dated' fragrances (my little obsession I guess), but I don't perceive Giorgio for Men as dated at all even though it is now 25 years old as a fragrance on the market.
    I should clarify that I mean three quick (medium) sprays not full stroke shots.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  14. #14
    jenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Posts
    5,903
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I am glad the comparison to Givenchy Gentleman has been put to rest. Givenchy Gentleman is a great fragrance but it is in a completely different fragrance family than my beloved Giorgio for Men.
    ahhh... ok

  15. #15
    shamu1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Shore, Mass.
    Posts
    2,348
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Giorgio For Men - EA re-release

    TwoRoads and Jock With Scents, I can certainly now understand why you admire Giorgio For Men. I've now worn it every other day for two weeks consistently and I like it more every time I wear it. I wear it every other day because I've found that I get olfactory fatigue with this one very easily if I wear it two days in a row. I agree that Giorgio definitely does blossom on skin, and not just in intensity but in the way it evolves over time. It's truly a beautiful fragrance that puts my mind at ease during its duration.

Similar Threads

  1. Replacing Giorgio for Men (R.I.P.)
    By TwoRoads in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 29th December 2013, 02:36 AM
  2. Giorgio Beverly Hills for men - it was unique..
    By scentimus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 14th August 2008, 04:55 AM
  3. Opinions on Giorgio VIP and Giorgio For Men
    By godzilla in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29th May 2006, 05:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •