Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Blog Entries

Default Re: S o t D Thursday 23 July

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    A couple of sprays of the original Poison before my shower. This is one perfume I draw the line at wearing at the gym ! Morning all !
    Ditto for me. I bought a new bottle of Dior Poison but I dislike the violet hand-grenade bottle! LOL!

I also have my EDT bottle with the stopper from way-back-when.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

Ava Luxe Rose de la Luz

Casmir

Hermès
    EAU D'ORANGE VERTE
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 23rd July 2009 at 03:43 PM.

Blog Entries

L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer

Basenotes Institution

Vetiver Pour Elle by Guerlain (first time from a sample)

As wonderful as I expected it to be. Just like the vintage Eau de Cologne, but with this dark, spring-like floral tiptoeing atop. And isn't that bottle just adorable?
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Calycanthus - Acca Kappa
    Wishlist is pointless.

L'Heure Bleue.

Serge Lutens again - Daim Blond
    Currently wearing: Elixir by Penhaligon's

an_oud_girl, love that vision of you skipping through the mall with your sample - priceless!
    coincidentally...
    Scentless this morning, awaiting a lunchtime appointment at a Tom Ford Beauty trunk show. Our local Saks is trying to bring in the Private Blends (or it's the other way around). I know I'm sounding pretty negative here, and of course I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the population of this little community will not be enough to support it. I dunno, that's just my opinion. Those marketing pros or whoever decides these things must know what they're doing...
    Anyway, I will douse myself, a la an_oud_girl , and report back after lunch!

Yay, flu!
    Had been feeling peaky for days, and now the truth comes out. Blegh. Shivering under a fleece blankie while it's 25 degrees out and sunny! It had better not be swine flu.
    On the plus side: I got to read in bed all day, boss everyone around and write rambling blog posts.

I did wear scent: Ligea La Sirena. And then for comparison purposes Oyédo on one arm and Profvmvm Dulcis in Fundo on the other. And basically made myself nauseous while sill having tremendous fun at it.
    Also sent one of my minions to collect Amouage Día and Reflection in sample form, neither of which enchanted me.Was that my wallet breathing a sigh of relief? Nah, I'd never buy anything so outraeously expensive, no matter how great it were. I think. Right?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

From the venerable French jeweler Van Cleef and Arpels: Birmane.

Birmane is a fruity Oriental with a ponderous white-musk base that smells to me not so much Continental as it does cumbersomely New England-ish and perhaps even dowdy as a pudding. Perhaps I bring out musk to a vulgar (or at least an inelegant) degree, but whatever woods notes are said to exist in Birmane are lost on me.

I don't know what I expect from a jeweler (First makes more sense, with its glinting, careening florals), but Birmane is not it. The top contains a pineapple-type note, something I see as daring since it can go so terribly wrong. This note is something like the pineapple in Caron's Acaciosa, where it isn't truly evident as pineapple and is incident only by way of obscuring a bland assortment of smallish flowers (muguet/freesia/budding rose). While Birmane sounds as if it might be sweet, the workmanlike musk lends it a sour edge, as if trying to rein in its Orientalism in favor of rectitude. One of these is evidently healthier than the other. Birmane isn't an "exotic" Oriental and it lacks the leitmotif of voluptuousness most Orientals carry about, some of them shamelessly. I'm not even sure why Birmane exists in this category. It has no spice notation and the demure florals seem more at home in a dainty, traditional scent like Diorissimo. There may be a hint of greenery, some small stem or leaf carefully snipped and pruned and added as hyphen to the arrangement (which one would expect from a precision jeweler, this minute and considered punctuation). Then, the musk--and there is no other word for this--suffocates the whole of it. I suppose there is some sandalwood adding a raw edge to the musk, but if so this simply supports the muskiness and does nothing to add interest.

So now I have complained of a dour perfume and have written a dour review of it. I suppose I thought it might be exuberant, and not at the stuffy remove it is. For something that I imagine was supposed to smell "classy" (a cheap but apt descriptor used, it seems, to glorify the gauche and obvious) it smells instead its opposite--steam and industry.

Hello all

Oud-Girl- You are just so damned cute! I think that is the height of our passion for fragrance, When we go skipping, or bouncing (as I sometimes do), with a lovely sample just as we did when we were children with a new toy. You make me smile.

Veuve, do feel better and try not to oversniff, let the olfactory rest up too.

Once we have a house, I am looking at two more this weekend of the same style, I will have a big old fashioned; weekend at my country-house style get-together. Of course you will all be invited, Potiron, I hope the air-fare will not be too expensive, but I would love to have you. We could make it a huge fragrant get together and I will make my Mousse au chocolat, so ComDiva, Chaya and families will be there I know, SMM will of course be there and hopefully everyone else could carpool across the country. I do love a wonderful gathering.
    Oh an I am listening intently to what the house will tell me, the one I saw said "You're too damned tall for the bedroom chambers!!! But, I would love to have you spend much time reading in the attic by those two big windows." If I could only have just spent all time in the attic...

Chaya, lovey, I do hope the migraine is gone by now. you need to be well.

Today I started off with a spritz of Jacomo Parfum Rare, which is glorious, then went back to sleep. Upon re-rising I applied Clandestine by Guy La Roche, which is also heavenly.

Hope you all have a glorious day, will feel better, skip like a happy child and overall be deliciously smelling bunnies

Love and hugs

ps As the house hunt progresses, I may start an off-topic thread, so I can share more pics and have more feedback from all my lovies.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Basenotes Institution

Finally off to the gym in DSH French Vanilla essence oil . But... the Poison is still there after my shower !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Orion,

I have never smelt Birmane, but I savoured every clause of your beautifully crafted review. So struck was I by it, that I have sent it to an English teacher who once bought a bottle of this scent, because it was going for less than £10 on the bargain table of our local department store. I have already regaled this friend (a No 5 recidivist despite my best efforts to steer her in new directions) with your "non-specific gnarled lumps of things steeped in prune juice" (I am paraphrasing furiously here), so she will be excited to read something more extensive, and not mangled in the re-telling.

Last edited by VM I hate civet; 23rd July 2009 at 05:23 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

This afternoon - Patchoulissime by Keiko Mecheri

SMN Iris

Mini-review:

This is a very worthy entry into the 'iris' category -- it's earthy/rooty but not to the point that Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist takes it. Quite enjoyable, with discreet sillage but good staying power. It's linear but that's what I came to expect from iris/orris fragrances. I do not detect many other notes, iris/orris definitely dominates. Recommended for the iris lovers, along with Chanel La Pausa, Le Labo Iris or Heeley Iris de Nuit.
    Last edited by kess; 23rd July 2009 at 06:47 PM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

My SotA is Pure White Linen by Estee Lauder. It suits me to a T.

p.s. Adding: Veuve Amiot - I hope you feel better soon! Flu in summer sounds awful!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 23rd July 2009 at 06:40 PM.

Germaine Monteil
    L'EAU DE MONTEIL

...back from the Tom Ford Beauty trunk show, spritzed rather than doused - I had to be polite and not grab every bottle I wanted to.

I'm wearing/sampling, in order of preference, Japon Noir, Neroli Portofino, and Arabian Wood.
    Japon Noir may be a full-bottle-wish-list-contender, but must give it more wearings... it's spicy and smoky and only slightly floral... it's reminding me of something else right now but I just can't think of what... I'm really enjoying this...
    Neroli Portofino. Yeah, of course love it - I love everything that says "neroli" on it because I love neroli. Yet, I don't have a single fragrance that says "neroli" on it, perhaps because there are many out there and I want to keep trying the next one before committing. And so it goes... This one is high on the list though - just a very nice balance of citrus and white flower, and an ever so faint creaminess. mmmm, yeah.
    Arabian Wood was absolutely fabulous right out of the bottle and still is on paper, but it's not fabulous on my skin, which took the life right out of it. On my skin at least, it now just smells like woody soap.

Oh my turqoisewater, you sure smell...EXPENSIVE!
    I don't care what anyone says, frags smell different on skin!
    Tang ~ why did the chicken cross the road?

VM--Whee! Listen, that lump of a "review" won't pass muster anywhere but here, where people understand how fragrance can render one not just at a loss for words, but can render them blathering pissed-off idiots all because some jeweler upended a vat of musk into a scent supposed to somehow convey the idea of rubies, elephants, and India.

Anyway, I have once again discovered that the only way to get rid of an offender is to offset it with something else applied to the back of the hands. Champs Elysees worked a treat here and I can barely smell that Birmane now.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Today while out for my walk I passed a mimosa tree in full bloom... the air was scented all around it.

Now I'm wearing Mimosa Pour Moi (which, however much I like it, doesn't smell much like the blossoms, IMO.)

The mimosa I sniffed was this one:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D42%26um%3D1
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 23rd July 2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added link to image of mimosa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Vetiver Pour Elle by Guerlain (first time from a sample)

As wonderful as I expected it to be. Just like the vintage Eau de Cologne, but with this dark, spring-like floral tiptoeing atop. And isn't that bottle just adorable?
    That's bottle is incredible! I love the designs in the glass, so sweet

Peachy, plummy, tutti frutti Il Bacio for today. This fragrance is uplifting for me and so much fun to wear. I know there are florals mixed in there too but it's really the jammy fruits which register with me.

Basenotes Institution

So I broke the blue seal of my vintage Shalimar extrait bottle this evening! It's glorious and deep Shalimar.Today the central valley with it's 100 ++ degree weather may just pass as a bit of heaven because of Shalimar !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Today while out for my walk I passed a mimosa tree in full bloom... the air was scented all around it.

Now I'm wearing Mimosa Pour Moi (which, however much I like it, doesn't smell much like the blossoms, IMO.)

The mimosa I sniffed was this one:
    Yes! That is what we always called a mimosa in Mississippi (I inserted another pic of it). We have those around here in Virginia, too, growing wild by the highways. But that is not the mimosa that is used in perfumery. The perfumery mimosa is a yellow blossomed tree like this... The pink one that we call "mimosa" is actually an acacia (and is also called silk tree to further confuse things), and if you smell a fragrance that has acacia in (e.g., DK Gold) you will recognize those honeyed pink blossoms. I think they are all acacias, actually.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 23rd July 2009 at 11:42 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm so glad everyone enjoyed yesterday's post. When we got to the car, I said to DH, "I can't wait to tell everyone on Basenotes I found the Tom Fords!" I knew you all would understand!

Brielle, I flew out here a couple of times before moving to help future-DH house hunt, but we didn't find anything during those trips. His realtor showed him this house (which was owned by a prominent realtor) and he snatched it right up. It's a pretty good house, but not one I would have chosen. Not the architectural style, the floor plan, the neighborhood. It seemed okay in the email photos, and the housing market was so crazy back then that snatching it up like he did was the right thing to do. One house that we loved and would have bought on the spot had sold before they held the open house (which was a very busy event). Our realtor told the other realtor and owners, "You guys just left $100,000 on the table." So when I flew out again to help future-DH move in, I was a little so-so about it. Although I've done my best to put my stamp on this place, I'm still frustrated by the floor plan (too many walls and small rooms; I'm used to the more open Florida style). However, we have better neighbors now than back then, and most of all-- we have our cats. All our cats were originally strays. I say, "They came with the house." Some were here before we were. They are a joy and comfort to me, almost like children, and I can only think how terrible it might have been for them if we hadn't ended up here where they could find me and enjoy a safe and very loving home. They are now 9 to 11 years old, and the statistics say strays normally don't live beyond five years, tough years to be sure. Anyway, Brielle, I'd love it if you start an Off Topic thread about house hunting. Then we can all go shopping with you!

I can wrap my head around peanut butter and cucumbers, but peanut butter and pickles?! I dunno about that one, rogalal! I can, however, second Lessa's PB and honey on whole grain bread. I grew up in the south on white Wonder bread, but toasted whole grain is the best for PB and honey. It's a very filling, energizing, mid-afternoon snack.

I'm jealous that Silverbullet is in Moss Breches. That's the one scent NM didn't have a tester of last night. I'll betcha they open up a box and make a new one when I go back this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    I'd never buy anything so outraeously expensive, no matter how great it were. I think. Right?
    Bwah, ha ha! If you say so, veuve. If you say so! I hope you feel better soon.

turquoisewater, I tried Neroli Portofino only on paper. DH liked it quite a lot, but I found a slight soapiness in it. Still very beautiful though, I agree.

Like veuve, I'm also sampling Amouage Dia today. I was about to say I prefer it to 25, but now I'm wearing them side by side and I can't choose. I also seem to love 25 much more today than yesterday. They are both very beautiful, and I think I'll just be grateful for the lovely little vials that I have.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous