Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Modernism. Craft. Fragrance.

Thoughts that I have had of late.

Art in the 20th century and early 21st century has dealt with rapdid techological changes that have effected the culture greatly. What has suffered has been one of the aspects of art and that is craft. Fragrance is an art and science to which we are devoted. It is time to demand that craft and quality, sensuality and luxury be reunited in the juice that represents taste, culture, education and life.

If you are served a gourmet meal by the finest culinary artist would you rather have it served on paper plates with a dixie cup and platic flatware? Would you rather dine on a over cooked hot dog served on Crystal, Louis IV service and flatware?

Sometimes my muse overworks me I think. But, I don't mind. Those whom the gods love....well, you know the rest. Demand more from your life. Take time to enjoy everything and everyone. If you do not lead, then your decisions are made for you. Eat, drink and make merry for the morrow is guaranteed to no one.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 23rd July 2009 at 11:30 AM.

Default Re: Modernism. Craft. Fragrance.

Back then, 2 out of 100 people could afford good food. Now 98 out of 100 people can afford it, thanks to technology.

Those who are complaining about craftmanship should buy a cooking book and learn to cook themselves from scratch, which is much more fulfilling than overpaying at a designated high end restaurant.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Back then, 2 out of 100 people could afford good food. Now 98 out of 100 people can afford it, thanks to technology.
    ...but choose to eat crap instead, at the invitation of an Orwellian "food" industry. The ironies of democratic capitalism.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Yep. A bag of potato crisps is 0.50 EUR. The same amount of fresh spinach costs 1.50 EUR. No wonder many people choose to eat unhealthy. Go figure.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 24th July 2009 at 12:56 AM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

It seems that there are lots of people embracing the craft aspect of fragrance though, both in development and as "consumers".

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Modernism. Craft. Fragrance.

One of the benefits of niche fragrance houses is that the big houses are begining to take notice of the market share that they are losing while the niche clients are benefiting from increased craftsmanship. I see the niche houses as serving noitce that the consumer is still in charge, a reminder they seem to need. Obviously Hermes has seen the writing on the wall with their niche type line.

"Art in the 20th century and early 21st century has dealt with rapdid techological changes that have effected the culture greatly. What has suffered has been one of the aspects of art and that is craft."

Art has not suffered due to technological advance, if anything the advance in technology has expanded what can be defined as art.

Art is not a craft and craft is not art, nor is craft an aspect of art. Art is produced for the aesthetic appreciation of those who experience the artwork. As such, aesthetic appreciation is art's major function (although not its only function). Craft deals with the production practical items; the product of a craftsman is meant to be used for its designed purpose; although the product of a craftsman may have great aesthetic value. So if perfumery is an art it cannot lose the "craft" aspect of the art (as craft is not an aspect of art) and if perfumery is a craft then saying it is losing the craft aspect of the craft seems nonsensical.

"I see the niche houses as serving noitce that the consumer is still in charge, a reminder they (the big houses) seem to need."

Niche houses pay very little attention to consumer wants so it seems wrong to say that "niche houses serve notice on the big houses that the consumer is in charge" when many of the big designer houses do a lot of consumer research in designing a product. Furthermore, the fact that many big houses are starting to produce "niche lines" points to the fact that they are taking consumer trends into account in designing new product.

Many people who purchase niche fragrances (most of them are not basenoters) buy them because they feed one's ego; niche gives the consumer a feeling of uniqueness, luxury, and exclusivity.
    Last edited by surreality; 24th July 2009 at 05:29 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries

surreality: RE: Art is not a craft and craft is not art, nor is craft an aspect of art. Art is produced for the aesthetic appreciation of those who experience the artwork. As such, aesthetic appreciation is art's major function (although not its only function). Craft deals with the production practical items; the product of a craftsman is meant to be used for its designed purpose; although the product of a craftsman may have great aesthetic value. So if perfumery is an art it cannot lose the "craft" aspect of the art (as craft is not an aspect of art) and if perfumery is a craft then saying it is losing the craft aspect of the craft seems nonsensical.

I would guess you subscribe to the Dadaist philosophy. Respectfully we are in total disagreement. The Schools of art developed from the craft guilds of Europe where painters, scultpurs, etc. were certainly studying members of their craft. To become a master one had to attain a certain level of expertise with the media. Art is the message or statement within the context of the given style of the artist within his school of art association. The artist develops his skill by copying the masters to achieve a level of comptetance in craft, hence craftsmanship. Thereafter the artist develops his own style. The quality of the application of his style is craftsmaship.

Art movements in America have virtually disappeared in the post-modernistic world. There is one German movement that started in 2000. There is a realization that the assumption that art can bring about socio-economic change in the world by it's message no longer holds the level of validity is once may have had.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 24th July 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Blog Entries

What is it about fragrance that so attracts us that we devote the time, effort and money that we do to this interest? Smell used to protect us from eating food gone bad, the presence of dangers and even attraction to females during our long climb up the evolutionary ladder. So, what does it do for us now?
    For many it is one of the many components that says who we are. Your manner of dress, how many times you get a hair cut or for the ladies have their hair done. Is the style of the hair you? Further, the ecoutrements of fashion define us. Adornment with jewely is important. We so value it that we use precious metals and jewels. It says you have class and money. Some jewelry even denotes membership in fraternal or philosophical orders or even level of education.
    Fragrance is yet a further statement of who you are and various fragrances are keyed to gender, weather, season of the year and even special events. The more complex the mind the more the need to evaluate and reevaluate your feelings of self worth by arriving at the sum of the parts that make who you are. We are complex creatures always seeking that ultimate defining combination of components that say here I am, important and unique. I look good, I smell good, I am good and because I am a social animal I want you to know so.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 25th July 2009 at 01:52 AM.

If art is poetry and poetry is metaphor, aesthetics are just a casualty. I think the cult of beauty always produces "art" rather than art. Craft is not art, it's a learned skill. As much as the Arts and Crafts movement has produced beautiful, rarefied objects, in the end, it's just more stuff and ultimately a bit reactionary.
    I don't agree that America hasn't produced any Post-Modern art movements. There is the 'despair' movement that emerged in the early 90's and deals with AIDS, marginalization, late-period capitalism. Artists in this movement include Bob Gober, Nan Goldin, Jack Pierson, Marilyn Minter and Banks Violet.
    As far as being a foodie and appreciating quality goes, most people eat poorly because society forces them to spend so much time commuting/moving, taht it leaves little time to shop and cook - hunt and gather. A healthy sign is the emergence of Asian ethnic street food outlets in western cities as an alternative to corporate devised fast food. I eat Vietnamese baguettes and Mumbian sliders much more often than hot dogs and pizza these days.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th July 2009 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Respectfully we are in total disagreement. The Schools of art developed from the craft guilds of Europe where painters, scultpurs, etc. were certainly studying members of their craft. To become a master one had to attain a certain level of expertise with the media. Art is the message or statement within the context of the given style of the artist within his school of art association. The artist develops his skill by copying the masters to achieve a level of comptetance in craft, hence craftsmanship. Thereafter the artist develops his own style. The quality of the application of his style is craftsmaship.
    I must respectfully disagree. Even if the Schools of Art developed from the Guilds, it does not follow that art is therefore craft or even synomymous with craft. Prose literature developed from epic poetry, but it is not the case that prose is poetry.

You also argue that, “Art is the message or statement within the context of the given style of the artist within his school of art association.” If what you say is true then a person only produces art if he produces works within a given set of guidelines that define his particular style, and if he belongs to recognized school of art, and if that work conveys a message or makes a statement. If so, art would never evolve; new stylistic ways of expression would never come to be accepted as ar. Also if your definition of art is correct, portraiture, which does not convey a message or make a statement, should not be recognized as art. So the Mona Lisa is not art, Rembrandt’s many self portraits are not art, and this is a position that I must reject. Furthermore, contrary to your definition, it seems that artworks precede the school. Expressionist paintings existed before the category of Expressionists or the Expressionist School; it was because there was a body of artwork that possessed many of the same features (for want of a more appropriate word) that the School or genre of Expressionism was created.

I would also argue that the “quality of the application of his style is” artistry or artistic technique and not craftsmanship. To say that the works of Van Gogh or Picasso possess fine craftsmanship, or that Carravaggio or Pollock were fine craftsmen, seems to be a misuse of the terms; if only because that is not how people, especially those experts associated with the artworld, speak about art.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant