Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I've had a sample of it but for some god-forsaken reason haven't given it a full wearing. It sounds just like the kind of thing I'd love. Also.. it's at Kohl's and I have a $20 gift card there. Things are looking good!
    It smells much more expensive that it actualy is.. I hope they will not discontinud it. Great stuff!

I dunno, I somehow always smelt urine in its intro but never really hated that. The dramatic transition into a leather base is what makes it unique. That shift is kinda strange. The first phase is somewhat generic and so is the second, but that transition is cool.
    No an earth-shattering scent, but rather a lovely one. I used to layer it with Oud oil back in the day, so that no-one would recognize it--a trick that's quite hip here in the Gulf.
    Currently wearing: Intense Cafe by Montale

I wanted to like this one...I really did. Some really great notes in there and well constructed. It's just that it came off too syrupy on me and I just couldn't enjoy it. I didn't mind the sweetness, it's just I wish it wasn't as syrupy. Great bottle, great notes, just wish I enjoyed it more.

The opening + midphase is too extreme in this frag. The drydown, however, is very pleasant.
    Applied lightly, I could see myself wearing it in 10+ years (27 now).

For now, I prefer Burberry's London to clench my desire for boozy notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius32 View Post
    The opening + midphase is too extreme in this frag. The drydown, however, is very pleasant.
    Applied lightly, I could see myself wearing it in 10+ years (27 now).

For now, I prefer Burberry's London to clench my desire for boozy notes.
    IMO Burberry London doesn`t reach Michel to the ankles.. -But I am 36, so that explanes it.. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Yep. I wear it and love it - more during cooler weather though.
    Yes... and hell yes!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Classy, sexy, masculine stuff. One of my favourites. Somone know how many stars this got in "the bibel"? (Turin)

Yeah, I have a set of samples and it gets some wears in cold weather. Not a huge fan, but it's decent enough.

Any tips on identifying deep vintage?

One of the best fragrances ever made and certainly in top 5 tobacco colognes. It is really disappointing that it was reformulated with the tobacco removed and watered down with less intensity.

Vintage should have a real strong opening - some people have said it's almost like gasoline and has made them cough.

The good stuff:

MKC34.jpg

Avoid:

2b62a015267a9e2bcd755f8fab55df7a3404282e41b9509748ab89090abb7e98.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post
    Any tips on identifying deep vintage?
    “Deep vintage” will just say Michael on the front. There is also a vintage version that says Michael Kors on the front. Bottles with the full name were released later on, after the bottles with just “Michael” on the front. For both versions of vintage the name is written horizontally. The non-vintage and different version has it written vertically. Also, all vintage boxes (both “deep” vintage and regular vintage) open from the side with a smaller box fitting into the whole. The new stuff opens like a normal box. I don’t know if there’s a difference between deep vintage and regular vintage as far as smell. I have regular and it’s excellent. But there’s a huge difference between the vintage and the new version that was created in 2013. It’s basically a completely different fragrance, and not as good.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

If you're willing to go for smaller bottles, there are a lot of 1 oz bottles of the vintage floating on eBay for good prices.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Still own a 75ml vintage (Givenchy parfums version) and it is a very well crafted plum-tobacco fragrance imo.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

I love this fragrance. Like Buysblind, I have yet to try the version that just says Michael horizontally across the top front. I have heard it's the same as the predecessor, just different packaging. Although I would still like to see for myself, I think prices are still reasonable but on the higher end (though sometimes you can find a deal), and I may consider doing this in the future, but I already have 1 and a half bottles of MK vintage, if the deep vintage is the same and costs more, I will be disappointed.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

Prior to the 2014 version, the Michael Kors was the same as the Michael, with no reformulation. I've never tried either so I don't know from experience, just what I've read.
    The 2014 doesn't deserve to be dissed, it's a great fragrance as well. Maybe not on the same level as Michael but still a great one.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Prior to the 2014 version, the Michael Kors was the same as the Michael, with no reformulation. I've never tried either so I don't know from experience, just what I've read.
    The 2014 doesn't deserve to be dissed, it's a great fragrance as well. Maybe not on the same level as Michael but still a great one.
    I can maybe see liking the 2014 version if that the was first version you tried, but the reformulation just doesn't make any sense.

I can understanding watering it down, so more people like it since some found vintage Kors to be too harsh - more of a powerhouse type fragrance, but removing the tobacco and plum altogether is just a bad decision and changes the fragrance too much to the point that new Kors is notihng special and if you can find vintage Kors on ebay, that's what you should be buying.

I really feel Kors had one of the best fragrances ever on their hands, but they fucked it up - when maybe all they needed to do is market it better. Most fragrance enthusiasts never even tried it until after the fact when they kept hearing about how great vintage Kors was and so they bought it online with sites that still had stock or on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I can maybe see liking the 2014 version if that the was first version you tried, but the reformulation just doesn't make any sense.

I can understanding watering it down, so more people like it since some found vintage Kors to be too harsh - more of a powerhouse type fragrance, but removing the tobacco and plum altogether is just a bad decision and changes the fragrance too much to the point that new Kors is notihng special and if you can find vintage Kors on ebay, that's what you should be buying.

I really feel Kors had one of the best fragrances ever on their hands, but they fucked it up - when maybe all they needed to do is market it better. Most fragrance enthusiasts never even tried it until after the fact when they kept hearing about how great vintage Kors was and so they bought it online with sites that still had stock or on ebay.
    I totally agree with what you're saying. Possibly if I had Michael first then I went out and bought the 2014 Michael Kors, I would be pissed off.
    Unfortunately for me, I've only tried the 2014. Which I love. Based on this, I CANNOT WAIT to get my hands and some of the original.

I tried the 2014 Michael Kors. One of the first samples I bought actually. Had owned only 3 fragrances at the time, so quite important. Liked it, but only wear it for a short time.

I do think the original is overhyped. It's all over ebay and although decent, and marginally 'better', I'd actually put them on a par with each other overall. There's something 'nicer' about the 2014 version.

Just my opinion, don't shout me down...but I do get the sense that expectations can get skewed when it's just people who love a scent recommending it, it's good to add a 'meh' response once in a while. Again, just my opinion. They're both pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I tried the 2014 Michael Kors. One of the first samples I bought actually. Had owned only 3 fragrances at the time, so quite important. Liked it, but only wear it for a short time.

I do think the original is overhyped. It's all over ebay and although decent, and marginally 'better', I'd actually put them on a par with each other overall. There's something 'nicer' about the 2014 version.

Just my opinion, don't shout me down...but I do get the sense that expectations can get skewed when it's just people who love a scent recommending it, it's good to add a 'meh' response once in a while. Again, just my opinion. They're both pretty good.
    When you say 'nicer' perhaps that is what some are referring to when they say that it was reformulated to be a more approachable scent. Maybe the 2014 is more approachable but the first time I tried it, I didn't like it. But some of it got on my coat, so I kept smelling it for literally days and days afterward. I ended up loving it and had to go back and get the bottle, after I remembered what it was that I had sprayed on myself that day.

Basenotes Junkie

I just picked up a vintage bottle last month. Love it!!
    "And I am a weapon of massive consumption
    and its not my fault its how I'm program to function"
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

This stuff was soooo good. Think I may need to pick up a vintage bottle!

Reformulation distinctions are often overemphasized by our crowd. I wanna sample the 2014 version one of these days.

The original has an animalic current that gives it a sensuality and intrigue, elevating it above your typical "gourmand tobacco" to something truly impressive. By most accounts, that animalic element isn't really present in the reformulated version.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Reformulation distinctions are often overemphasized by our crowd. I wanna sample the 2014 version one of these days.

The original has an animalic current that gives it a sensuality and intrigue. By most accounts, that isn't really present in the reformulated version.
    Money is tight with travel baseball going on at the moment for my son, but it's tops on my list of picking up a bottle.
    Brooks, just grab a bottle of the 2014 from Marshall's or something for $30. If you don't like it, I'm happy to buy it from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Money is tight with travel baseball going on at the moment for my son, but it's tops on my list of picking up a bottle.
    Brooks, just grab a bottle of the 2014 from Marshall's or something for $30. If you don't like it, I'm happy to buy it from you.
    I'll hold you to that!

It's cheap enough, I just don't want another bottle of something I'm not absolutely crazy about on my shelf.

Current Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I'll hold you to that!

It's cheap enough, I just don't want another bottle of something I'm not absolutely crazy about on my shelf.
    I'd sell you one of my bottles but since it's discontinued, I'm hesitant to part ways with them. I have a 3.4 oz and a 1 oz backup at the moment.

Well, I stopped by Marshalls (I was already out shopping while posting in this thread) and bought some post-2014 juice. The differences between the original and reformulation has *not* been overstated, IMO.

It's not just watered-down (though that's certainly the case; this is much weaker than the original), but the heart of the original fragrance has been altered to the point where the vintage and 2014 versions are, for all intents and purposes, fairly different fragrances, albeit ones that share an accord. The dirty animalic tobacco and deep plum of the original is mostly gone, leaving only something of that boozy-fruity heart.

Which isn't to say that the 2014 edition is unpleasant, but it isn't a helpful guide for understanding what folks like me love about the original Givenchy-produced release. There's no guarantee that if you like the 2014 you'll like the original.

If you are one of the more passionate fans of the 2014 version, I recommend you seek out the underrated Vera Wang for Men (which has no signed perfumer but was likely done by Fremont, who also did Michael for Men); it's a lot like the 2014 MK release--in fact, the 2014 MK release has as much in common with the Vera Wang release as it does with the original Michael for Men--but the Vera Wang is more vibrant and nuanced, with more emphasis on the citrus elements.

Current Favorites

Thanks, man. The Vera Wang for Men, that's another I've been wanting to look into.
    Sorry if I persuaded you into Marshall's and set you up for disappointment. Like I said, I'll take it off your hands.
    I have heard in the past that the older versus the 2014 are very different, almost two separate fragrances, so that's what I'm expecting.
    Last edited by Danny Mitchell; 14th June 2019 at 06:02 PM.

I agree it's wrong to think of the two Michael Kors fragrances as one scent reformulated. They're different enough from each other to be considered two different scents. In my opinion, though, whilst the original is better...it's not massively so. Just want to clarify that though.

Vera Wang for Men is a lot fresher than the 2014 MKFM I always thought. Tom Ford For Men was a much better comparison and although not identical, it's a much closer fit to the Vera Wang.

Although not identical, I always felt like Michael Kors for Men was similar to another fragrance which come out around the same time - Boss The Scent. Similar sort of style with Michael Kors being a bit more old school and masculine perhaps with the tobacco. I got quite a lot of booziness from both of them, although not sure if either officially lists any alcohol as a note. Perhaps I'm misremembering but that was always how I associated them...

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I own it because I got it cheap, but was never a big fan of it. However, it was very popular here at Basenotes when it first came out.

Oddly enough, it was only sold in a few stores down here in Australia at the time, but recently it's had a big push in all the major department stores.
    Renato

Hmmm - I haven't worn it in the ten years since I wrote that post.
    Might try it again next decade.
    Regards,
    Renato

Vera Wang for Men is a lot fresher than the 2014 MKFM I always thought.
    You're not wrong. Vera Wang puts significantly more emphasis on the citrus.

But wearing MK2014 today immediately brought it to mind.

Current Favorites

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast