Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I agree it's wrong to think of the two Michael Kors fragrances as one scent reformulated. They're different enough from each other to be considered two different scents. In my opinion, though, whilst the original is better...it's not massively so. Just want to clarify that though.

Vera Wang for Men is a lot fresher than the 2014 MKFM I always thought. Tom Ford For Men was a much better comparison and although not identical, it's a much closer fit to the Vera Wang.

Although not identical, I always felt like Michael Kors for Men was similar to another fragrance which come out around the same time - Boss The Scent. Similar sort of style with Michael Kors being a bit more old school and masculine perhaps with the tobacco. I got quite a lot of booziness from both of them, although not sure if either officially lists any alcohol as a note. Perhaps I'm misremembering but that was always how I associated them...
    TOM FORD for Men, I like it, but after a half hour the scent is completely gone on me. Lucky if it lasts a half hour. I hope VW performs better than that.

Boss the Scent, which one is that? Either their bottles or their naming scheme all look and sound too similar to me.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I get 2 solid hours from Vera Wang and then it starts to dissipate. But given that you can get it for $14, that's no big complaint.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I get 2 solid hours from Vera Wang and then it starts to dissipate. But given that you can get it for $14, that's no big complaint.
    That's definitely better than paying $100 to spray the Tom Ford and not be able to smell it 20 minutes later. lol

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I tried the 2014 Michael Kors. One of the first samples I bought actually. Had owned only 3 fragrances at the time, so quite important. Liked it, but only wear it for a short time.

I do think the original is overhyped. It's all over ebay and although decent, and marginally 'better', I'd actually put them on a par with each other overall. There's something 'nicer' about the 2014 version.

Just my opinion, don't shout me down...but I do get the sense that expectations can get skewed when it's just people who love a scent recommending it, it's good to add a 'meh' response once in a while. Again, just my opinion. They're both pretty good.
    It's not the same scent. It's not like they made some minimal alternation that most people wouldn't notice - they removed the primary notes altogether in the tobacco and plum, so I am not sure how they could remotely be deemed on par with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    TOM FORD for Men, I like it, but after a half hour the scent is completely gone on me. Lucky if it lasts a half hour. I hope VW performs better than that.

Boss the Scent, which one is that? Either their bottles or their naming scheme all look and sound too similar to me.
    Vera Wang is really nice - I actually recommended it to Brooks. It doesn't have the greatest longevity, however I find that it really comes out strong and lasts longer on very hot day or when there is a humidity. So if you know tomorrow is going to be a very hot day for example, that's the day to really test drive Vera Wang.

Two scents can be different but of equal merit. That's quite easy. Although I did say one was ultimately better than the other...

Longevity on Vera Wang and Tom Ford are both atrocious. Be perpared to absolutely douse yourself in it - 8-10+ sprays. It'll give you a solid 6 hours that way, maybe a touch longer, so really good for work.

Boss The Scent is the original one. No other words on it (Intense? Parfum? No idea what theyve made but something like that). It gets a lot of hate but I think it's pretty good. Not a 'great' fragrance by any means, but interesting, and I think they used a fruit which isn't used in any other perfume, and used it as the main note. Similar vibe but different notes.

So far, tested this one enough to remain with a pleasant experience after each sampling, though just below that elusive and often rather difficultly definable threshold to purchase, own and regularly wear this-it was decent, fresh but also partly gourmand sweet, nice scent yet something might have lacked back then (though results may vary today) before getting this as major and immediate fragrance wardrobe priority

The Michael is at the point where it's cheap but hard to get.
    The 2014 Michael Kors, if you're a fan, I'd recommend getting it from TJ Maxx or Marshals while it's still around. I still see bottles in my area at those places. But I'm guessing another 5 years, it will be an ebay only item as well.

Well I finally decided to order myself a tiny bottle of Michael for Men. I'm wearing it today for the first time, so my opinion may change after repeated wearings.

Keep in mind that I've been wearing the 2014 Michael Kors for Men for several years now and I absolutely love that one.
    There are so many similarities here between the two, suede/leather is present but stronger in the 2001 Michael. Like many have said, there is a tobacco note in the 2001 that is pretty much gone from the 2014. This is what gives the 2001 it's somewhat darker and stronger presence. There is a strong note that smells like honey to me that is dominant in both versions. Based on that note, along with the suede, I would consider the 2014 to be more of a reformulation than a completely different scent.

Both scents project like beasts and last all day. I can't say that I would place one above the other. I can't even say that you need both because there are so many similarities. But if you want your KORS with a stonger tobacco note, go for the 2001. If you want a similar scent that is just as strong but without the tobacco, the 2014 is just fine.

I'm glad you got to try it and glad you enjoy it.

I find more significant quality and performance distinctions between them than you do, but even if I find 2014 a bit disappointing compared to its forebear, I'd rather smell it than the bulk of contemporary designer frags.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I find more significant quality and performance distinctions between them than you do, but even if I find 2014 a bit disappointing compared to its forebear, I'd rather smell it than the bulk of contemporary designer frags.
    Thanks, Brooks. Like I said, it's only my first wear. Unlike many here, though, my first experience usually remains consistent with my long term opinion after multiple wears.
    Thanks for recommending the 2001. I think I may see what you're saying in performance distinctions. The drydown may be less harsh in the original and feels softer and smooth while still remaining extremely masculine, IMO.

Never tried 2014 one, but the original is a gem in the frag world. Everyone I have turned on to it has been forever grateful too. sometimes you can find deals on Ebay with people liquidating old stock of them. It reminds me of a much, much, MUCH better version of Bentley Intense.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Never tried 2014 one, but the original is a gem in the frag world. Everyone I have turned on to it has been forever grateful too. sometimes you can find deals on Ebay with people liquidating old stock of them. It reminds me of a much, much, MUCH better version of Bentley Intense.
    I need more time with it. I'm not getting the same longevity as I get from the 2014.
    I would say the 2014 is the same drydown only without the tobacco, and the longevity may last longer as a result, though not as smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Hmmm. I own and enjoy both, but don't see much similarity between Bentley Intense and Michael for Men 2001 beyond the fact that they're both boozy-rich masculines. Certainly, Bentley Intense has nothing like Michael's prominent "dried fruits" note.

I do think Michael is the much more sophisticated work of perfumery between them (though comparing the 2014 MK vs Bentley Intense, I'd go with the Bentley Intense).

Current Favorites

Hmmm. I own and enjoy both, but don't see much similarity between Bentley Intense and Michael for Men 2001 beyond the fact that they're both boozy-rich masculines. Certainly, Bentley Intense has nothing like Michael's prominent "dried fruits" note.

I do think Michael is the much more sophisticated work of perfumery between them (though comparing the 2014 MK vs Bentley Intense, I'd go with the Bentley Intense).
    After wondering for several months if I should grab myself some Bentley Intense, I think this statement has solidified it.

My experience mirrors yours.
    I found the 2014 version to be a weakened and markedly less rich version of the earlier scent. Decent but not worth buying to me, even if I hadn't already owned the earlier bottle.

I can't say that I would place one above the other. I can't even say that you need both because there are so many similarities. But if you want your KORS with a stonger tobacco note, go for the 2001. If you want a similar scent that is just as strong but without the tobacco, the 2014 is just fine.
    My feelings exactly.

Incidentally, prices on ebay UK have zoomed up for the original Michael for Men. No idea if it's just incidental or this had something to do with it, but it's a bit annoying as I was hoping to pick up a bottle, but not for £40+ a bottle.

Just remember that in the launch, the formulae was grossly botched up. They pulled every stock off the shelf, corrected it to it's glory in full and now its disappeared. Always thought this was a solid one and wished it was a mainstay at the counters.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Freed from BN Institution

I remember not caring for it when I first tried it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Wasn't that fond of it either although wasn't unpleasant.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Yes, I still wear Michael for Men and enjoy it.
    Overcome by Fumes

I wonder how well the 2014 version is actually selling, considering the 2001 version seemed to go under the radar for the general public.

It just makes zero sense to me to create what I think is a masterpiece fragrance in 2001 and decide to reformulate it to a lesser version instead of making pumping some money into actually advertising and promoting the 2001 version, so the general public actually knows it exists like the Varvatos stuff for example.

Has anyone ever comes across an ad for Michael For Men or any kind of promotion? If there was a promotion campaign for Kors 2001, I haven't been able to find it online.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I wonder how well the 2014 version is actually selling, considering the 2001 version seemed to go under the radar for the general public.
    Aren't both versions discontinued now?

Current Favorites

Yes. The 2014 has been gone from the regular retail stores for well over a year now, maybe two. And the 2001 was gone, I assume, when they put out the 2014 version.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I did not care for it either, after first trying it. The 2014 version, that is. I sprayed it on my jacket so the scent lingered for days and days, and I eventually fell in love with it.

I initially didn't like Michael for Men all that much, either (for a little bit of time my bottle of the vintage was up on my swap list). But I changed my mind and I grew to love it.

Current Favorites

It just makes zero sense to me to create what I think is a masterpiece fragrance in 2001 and decide to reformulate it to a lesser version instead of making pumping some money into actually advertising and promoting the 2001 version, so the general public actually knows it exists like the Varvatos stuff for example.

Has anyone ever comes across an ad for Michael For Men or any kind of promotion? If there was a promotion campaign for Kors 2001, I haven't been able to find it online.
    This stuff is leaps and bounds better than Varvatos, and I like Varvatos a lot! Except for it's laughable longevity.
    The only promotions I've seen or was able to track down online were ads for the Extreme Blue cologne, which isn't bad. I need to try it again, actually.

Oh I thought it was still being sold in retail stores, etc. I haven't really followed the 2014 version, since it wasn't the same. But it reinforces my point about marketing and promotion - it seems Kors doesn't do any. You can typically find a photo promotion ad at the very least for fragrances if not an actual commercial or promotion spot, but I haven't come across anything for either versions of Kors.

This stuff is leaps and bounds better than Varvatos, and I like Varvatos a lot! Except for it's laughable longevity.
    The only promotions I've seen or was able to track down online were ads for the Extreme Blue cologne, which isn't bad. I need to try it again, actually.
    Oh of course Kors is better than Varvatos (2001 anyway for me), but I can't even find something like this as a minimal ad:

6b424a44-a913-40aa-a87e-309d01e4ff6b.jpg._CB526612299_.jpg

It is no surprise that Kors goes underneath the general public's radar.

Oh I thought it was still being sold in retail stores, etc. I haven't really followed the 2014 version, since it wasn't the same. But it reinforces my point about marketing and promotion - it seems Kors doesn't do any. You can typically find a photo promotion ad at the very least for fragrances if not an actual commercial or promotion spot, but I haven't come across anything for either versions of Kors.
    They use to promote Extreme Blue to a slight extent. And they do promote their female fragrances far more often than the masculine line.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast