Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    If you are able to find 2001 promotion, Brooks - I would love to be proven wrong there as well. I am really curious how they tried to sell it if they did indeed try.
    I can find nothing. Doesn't mean it didn't exist, but it probably also wasn't plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Anyway, the point was (meant to be) simple - Michael Kors for Men DID have a visible campaign in the fragrance sense in 2014. But even then, had it had a massive one, it wouldn't have made a vast difference due to what it is.
    Maybe, maybe not? It's always hard to say why one thing catches on and why one thing doesn't.

To my nose, there's nothing especially youthful about MK 2014, but I would say the same about Burberry London or a lot of the John Varvatoses. Not that the Varvatoses were *blockbusters* but they've been well stocked on and off, and Burberry London still seems to be in decent demand despite on-and-off discontinuation.
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

If I had the money, I would buy the formula for 2001 Kors and relaunch it with a full marketing campaign to the general public who buy fragrances at department stores, drug stores and the like. Of course that would take a lot of money I don't even remotely have.
    Good idea. It even has a back story, which niche houses go out of their way to fabricate. I think the Kors and Givenchy stock has increased significantly since the original release. Tbh back in 2001 I don't think I'd heard of Kors. It would have made a really great pillar scent - but has just been messed about with too much

Duplicate.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I really like it, but strictly in cooler weather.
    Indeed. I've been reunited with the original. Getting glimpses of the former glory that I remember being blown away by. But sure it will really shine in cooler climes.
    Thinking its way above most current designers, and would be a hard one to review - lots going on!

I take that on board. I mean ad campaign. Not just advertising materials. As in a proper rollout in magazines, which are barely bought anymore and are often 60-80% advertising anyway. Spots on TV. Targeted internet advertising on social media.

No fragrance or house really does this anymore bar the big sellers. Fragrance advertising hasn't (yet) learnt how to market itself in the internet age - but that's been offset by the huge boom of 'democratised' advertising in the form of sites like this, which push brands/fragrance collecting in general and that, surely, has had a bigger impact on the industry than any individual ad campaign.

Anyway, the point was (meant to be) simple - Michael Kors for Men DID have a visible campaign in the fragrance sense in 2014. But even then, had it had a massive one, it wouldn't have made a vast difference due to what it is.
    Love or hate the fragrances, I think Le Labo do a fantastic job with their online marketing. Some companies have figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I can find nothing. Doesn't mean it didn't exist, but it probably also wasn't plentiful.

Maybe, maybe not? It's always hard to say why one thing catches on and why one thing doesn't.

To my nose, there's nothing especially youthful about MK 2014, but I would say the same about Burberry London or a lot of the John Varvatoses. Not that the Varvatoses were *blockbusters* but they've been well stocked on and off, and Burberry London still seems to be in decent demand despite on-and-off discontinuation.
    Haven't tried the Burberry but it is, to my understanding, a masculine sort-of gourmand? That's still fairly groundbreaking to the masses, in a way.

Simply, MK is a bit old, as you say. It's alright, there are/were times I really liked it. But other times it just smelt like stale aftershave from a different era.

And also, how popular is Burberry London outside fragcomm hype/love? The bottle is definitely distinctive and appealing but I still imagine it wouldn't be a huge seller? I wasn't aware of it until I read it online, and I'm in the UK.

Love or hate the fragrances, I think Le Labo do a fantastic job with their online marketing. Some companies have figured it out.
    Yep, that's probably true. The difficult is for older companies to adapt. Newer companies made in the internet age aren't burdened by history and a confusion as to how to market 'both' worlds successfully.

Haven't tried the Burberry but it is, to my understanding, a masculine sort-of gourmand? That's still fairly groundbreaking to the masses, in a way.
    It is?!

Anyway, maybe you're younger than I am or just have a younger nose, but I don't think MK--either version--smells particularly dated to my nose.

And also, how popular is Burberry London outside fragcomm hype/love? The bottle is definitely distinctive and appealing but I still imagine it wouldn't be a huge seller? I wasn't aware of it until I read it online, and I'm in the UK.
    It has sold well enough, as far as I know. Not a blockbuster but a fragrance with a good, solid run. It's been around for over a decade and disappears off the shelves of my local stores quicker than most of the other stuff.
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

It's hard to tell why a Burberry London manages to stick around and a Michael Kors gets completely forgotten. Burberry possibly has a more recognizable name and also a larger selection of other fragrances. Michael Kors doesn't put out nearly as much.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

To clarify, I do think Burberry London is a better fragrance than MK 2014 (but not the Givenchy-produced Michael 2001). But "quality" and "marketability" rarely go hand-in-hand.

I suspect what kept Michael, in both 2001 and 2014 forms, from connecting with an audience was probably the Michael Kors brand itself. Had it been released under another designer's name, I could imagine it having been a modest success.
    Current Favorites

To clarify, I do think Burberry London is a better fragrance than MK 2014 (but not the Givenchy-produced Michael 2001). But "quality" and "marketability" rarely go hand-in-hand.

I suspect what kept Michael, in both 2001 and 2014 forms, from connecting with an audience was probably the Michael Kors brand itself. Had it been released under another designer's name, I could imagine it having been a modest success.
    Agree with the second paragraph, disagree with the first, haha
    That's a good point, either one of the 2001 or 2014 would have been more successful if Givenchy put it out. Or, hypothetically, if it were a Gucci or a YSL, etc. I have no doubt on that.

Simply, MK is a bit old, as you say. It's alright, there are/were times I really liked it. But other times it just smelt like stale aftershave from a different era.

I think I love Kors BECAUSE it is from a different era. Something classy and sophisticated from the 70's or 80's - we need more of that over much of the modern and trendy garbage that gets released to appeal to young people today. It's like fancier versions of Axe Body Spray in many cases.

I think Burberry London is pretty popular or was as far as fragrances can be for the general public - Walmart sold it, Sephora, etc. If one is going to buy a cologne, they probably came across it and tested it as it was available everywhere. I live in Canada and it's still stocked everywhere when cologne is for sale.

The classic masculines we think of as being part of the 70s and 80s don't really resemble Kors much.

Michael 2001 feels firmly part of the wave of Aughts gourmand tobacco scents, but was just a little ahead of the curve and didn't have the brand power to become a real hit.
    Current Favorites

Absolutely right on the second point. Kors 2001 is a masterpiece that should be timeless and around for decades like a Polo Green, etc, but I think it was unfortunately released by a company that didn't know what to do with it and the company overall caters to women. Released by Armani or D&G in 2001 for example - I think it will still be available today.

The classic masculines we think of as being part of the 70s and 80s don't really resemble Kors much.

Michael 2001 feels firmly part of the wave of Aughts gourmand tobacco scents, but was just a little ahead of the curve and didn't have the brand power to become a real hit.
    I don't entirely agree here, since I have purposely sought out 70's colognes and many have the same vibe. The problem with Kors for some is that it was too intense - even among people here, hence it was called a powerhouse like many 70's and 80's colognes. I remember reviews here stating that Kors literally made them choke at the opening and that it seems like Kors had literal gasoline in it. That's what I mean by 70's and 80's vibe. It wasn't a typical watered down fragrance that came out in 2000+.

I don't entirely agree here, since I have purposely sought out 70's colognes and many have the same vibe. The problem with Kors for some is that it was too intense - even among people here, hence it was called a powerhouse like many 70's and 80's colognes. I remember reviews here stating that Kors literally made them choke at the opening and that it seems like Kors had literal gasoline in it. That's what I mean by 70's and 80's vibe. It wasn't a typical watered down fragrance that came out in 2000+.
    I think you both have a point. Michael was a powerhouse as far as performance goes but the notes are too far removed from the 70's/80's and more of a precursor to what was going to be coming a few years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I think you both have a point. Michael was a powerhouse as far as performance goes but the notes are too far removed from the 70's/80's and more of a precursor to what was going to be coming a few years later.
    Tobacco, leather, woods among other notes were pretty well used in 70's colognes and plum/dried fruits just get the same boozy vibe as those colognes as well. I don't really see Kors 2001 as a modern cologne at all. It may use some more modern notes, but they were still used to achieve an old school powerhouse vibe. D&G Pour Home for example was a more modern take tobacco cologne by comparison.

Tobacco, leather, woods among other notes were pretty well used in 70's colognes and plum/dried fruits just get the same boozy vibe as those colognes as well. I don't really see Kors 2001 as a modern cologne at all. It may use some more modern notes, but they were still used to achieve an old school powerhouse vibe. D&G Pour Home for example was a more modern take tobacco cologne by comparison.
    I suppose. Seems to be the memory of 70's frags is as such, but it was more dominated by Homme type of stuff, herbal and barbershop type stuff. Polo, I always thought, was an outlier but everyone thinks it's the scent of the 70's and 80's. I could be wrong. I was an itty bitty kid back then.

I went ahead a bought 4.2 oz of Michael on ebay. Based on the photo, its still pretty full. Seller said he only used10 sprays of it. Fingers crossed.

What text on the bottle on your version?
    Hope you enjoy!

I look forward to your feedback, Danny.

I already have a one ounce bottle. It was discussed already. I just wanted the 'full size'.

I already have a one ounce bottle. It was discussed already. I just wanted the 'full size'.
    That's a telling show of support for the vintage!
    Current Favorites

That's a telling show of support for the vintage!
    Well I didn't want to get another one ounce backup. I'll go through the tiny bottle in no time. Had to have something bigger.

My 4.2 oz. bottle of Michael arrived over the weekend. Should last me a long long time, along with the 1oz. bottle I have. I enjoy both Michael and the 2014 Michael Kors about the same. The openings are similar and I appreciate the differences in the drydown of both. Too bad MK abandoned both of these as they are both truly unique and one of a kind fragrances that never achieved the status they deserved.

I've said this to Danny, but I don't know if my bottle developed a bit since opening or my perspective just evolved, but I've come around a bit on MK 2014. Not quite as rich or finessed aa the original, but the performance is better than I originally thought and the district "dried fruits" accord that the original and 2014 share is still quite compelling.

The vintage is still widely available so grab that if you can, but when the supply has dried up or when prices go nuts, the revamp will do.
    Current Favorites

I've said this to Danny, but I don't know if my bottle developed a bit since opening or my perspective just evolved, but I've come around a bit on MK 2014. Not quite as rich or finessed aa the original, but the performance is better than I originally thought and the district "dried fruits" accord that the original and 2014 share is still quite compelling.

The vintage is still widely available so grab that if you can, but when the supply has dried up or when prices go nuts, the revamp will do.
    Per the notes listed - I thought the tobacco AND dried fruit/plum factor was missing from the 2014.

If 2001 never existed and 2014 came out today - no preconceived notions - would you want it among your arsenal?

If 2001 never existed and 2014 came out today - no preconceived notions - would you want it among your arsenal?
    Maybe? I'm a sucker for boozy notes and this has a unique accord, so I might've picked it up either way, though I'd be less likely to vigorously proselytize for it.

I mostly am glad to have something in the same vein as the original that I don't have to regard as precious. (My wife says that, of all the scents I own, Michael is the scent that's most "me.")
    Current Favorites

I regards to the 2014, I came around to it after not liking it much when I initially sprayed it. But I'd never known about it's prior product from 2001.

And the vintage is pretty easy to get in the 1oz. bottles. The larger bottles are a little more rare.

I regards to the 2014, I came around to it after not liking it much when I initially sprayed it. But I'd never known about it's prior product from 2001.
    Yeah, as I originally noted, I didn't really like MK vintage when I first tried it, either, and originally intended to swap it.

And the vintage is pretty easy to get in the 1oz. bottles. The larger bottles are a little more rare.
    I saw four or five big vintage bottles on eBay the other day, plus a really nifty shaving set. Prices were all over the map but some were pretty affordable.
    Current Favorites

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast