Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Vetiver Pour Elle by Guerlain

As a fan of Vetiver (the Eau de Cologne) by Guerlain, I have been anxiously awaiting the chance to sample Vetiver Pour Elle after reading Turin's glowing review in his book.

I saw a bottle at the Guerlain boutique at The Breakers last year, but I was coated in a bunch of scents so I only smelled it on a tester strip and could hardly even smell anything (I was probably nose fatigued by then) - I was so fascinated at the time by the Philtre D'Amour....

So, I finally dropped some cash & bought a sample of VPE from The Perfumed Court - something I rarely do, but ever so often my curiosity gets the best of me and/or I cannot source a sample from a Basenoter.

VPE is incredibly good. It takes the same pre-reformulation style vetiver of Guerlain - the grassy, slightly salty, woody-oak-barrel-esque vetiver and removes the tobacco and instead drops little tiny floral notes all over it. After it dried on my skin about an hour or so, the floral vibe tends to be less 'flower prominent' and more something akin to a garden of flower bushes right before a thunderstorm blows in: dark, sweet and thick. The combination of the two is powerful and extremely well blended.

Of course my first thought was this: To save money why can't I just find vintage Vetiver Eau de Cologne and then spray a crisp soliflore on top (maybe even one of the Guerlain Aqua Allegoria's) to get the same effect? I'm curious if any Basenoter has tried this and compared it to VPE.

And to think, that according to some comments I've read online, the original Vetiver Pour Elle (in the original duty free bottle), was (according to them) even better than the juice in the new bee bottles, at Guerlain boutiques (and finer stores) now.

Nonetheless, after just one wearing, I'm smitten. Love, love, love. I can see why Mr. Guerlain has a huge supply of this juice in his wardrobe.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Vetiver Pour Elle by Guerlain

Smells fine on my wife.

Sur la Plage

Could someone change the record above me, it seems to be broken.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 24th July 2009 at 04:37 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Oh I cannot believe I walked by this every year for years at Charles de Gaulle when it was around $65 a bottle. I loved it but was usually on my way home loaded down with other purchases and my 2 girls just wanting to get home.

It IS gorgeous! And I bet it is a great masculine as well.

WANT

Mike, I'm so glad to see your report on your first full wearing. I also bought a sample and only gave it a quick try. Liked but didn't love it at first sniff. When I get home from vacation, I'm going to try it again. Crossing fingers, because it sounds truly wonderful!

Oh why oh why can't I be made of money! As everyone probably knows by now, I absolutely adore VpE, and if I wasn't a poor student it would be mine!
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 24th July 2009 at 12:24 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

So far the best Vetiver i have used. Then Wifey tested it, and what Wifey (loves) wants, Wifey KNOWS she will get. Lets just say its now in the OWNED section of my wardrobe now Silly me for not getting two bottles, but there was only one available.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

My bottle is from duty-free launch, and is half-empty.
    I love it, but use it sooooo rare. Just for special occasions.
    I hate to think about the day when I will be forced to buy bee-bottle of it.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

There is one bottle on ebay at the moment , you may have to dig deep for it ...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    There is one bottle on ebay at the moment , you may have to dig deep for it ...
    I know I just saw it last night. Weird coincidence.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Hehe I saw that on eBay, I see a Basenotes bidding war about to take place. I'd quite like to try this, does anyone have a sample they could swap with me?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Didnt the " les Parisiennes" range just go up in price too ? Id love to try it

I used to be on a huge Vetiver kick in the early stages of my fragrance obsession. I kind of outgrew that note soon after. My current wardrobe is completely devoid of any Vetiver prominent fragrance as it stands now, except for a decant of PG's Querelle if that counts.

I might revisit the note soon.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Didnt the " les Parisiennes" range just go up in price too ? Id love to try it
    Not sure. I just called the Guerlain boutique and the price they quoted me is $220.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Not sure. I just called the Guerlain boutique and the price they quoted me is $220.
    It seems as though they have. The Les Parisiennes were $205. Also, the L'Art et la Matiere line are now $230. Wonder if it's the same for EU.

And about VpE. Really love how they swapped the tobacco for florals. I'm also so envious of Mr. Guerlain's huge bee bottle.
    Last edited by teger; 24th July 2009 at 04:29 PM.

Yeah, Guerlain is milking us for all we've got... Meanwhile the only reasonably priced frags they've put out are sh*t.

[/cranky]
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

That's the same price I got from Bergdorf's late last year. I wish I had known about it before the price increase.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    That's the same price I got from Bergdorf's late last year. I wish I had known about it before the price increase.
    BG quoted me $190 about a month ago when I bought it, but they went ahead and charged me the $220 anyway just for the fun of it I guess. I wasn't too happy when I found out, but I love the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    Yeah, Guerlain is milking us for all we've got... Meanwhile the only reasonably priced frags they've put out are sh*t.
    Now I see what people mean by niche houses affecting the strategy of other perfume houses.

Nice post, Mike.

I sampled VpE a couple of days ago at the Guerlain shop in Bergdorf Goodman/NYC and loved it. Unfortunately, I was on a quest for Eau des Fleurs de Cedrat, so I passed on VpE. Perhaps next time...

I definitely prefer VpE to the men's version, as I don't care for the tobacoo note in the latter. As you say, the florals in VpE just make it sing. Wonderful scent!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 27th July 2009 at 02:45 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Well, it's 25 percent less expensive per ml than the current edition, so I guess no need to really cry... You get it beautifully presented as a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Oh I cannot believe I walked by this every year for years at Charles de Gaulle when it was around $65 a bottle. I loved it but was usually on my way home loaded down with other purchases and my 2 girls just wanting to get home.

It IS gorgeous! And I bet it is a great masculine as well.

WANT

This sounds wonderful!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Well, it's 25 percent less expensive per ml than the current edition, so I guess no need to really cry... You get it beautifully presented as a bonus
    How many ml's are the bee bottles? 200 ?

I believe they are 125ml.

Sur la Plage

Bergdorf Goodman told me the Vetiver pour Elle is 2.5 oz. and costs $200. Does that sound right?
    Last edited by petruccijc; 27th July 2009 at 03:46 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Yes Les Parisiennes are 125 ml - it's a special sized bee for this line.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Bergdorf Goodman told me the Vetiver pour Elle is 2.5 oz. and costs $200. Does that sound right?
    It sounds like BG has not raised their prices, since Guerlain did recently. But then you'll probably pay $25 in shipping charges, right?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 27th July 2009 at 04:01 PM.

I remember the SA at Guerlain telling me that some of the bee bottles are different prices...I remember distinctly that Attrape-Coeur was more expensive than the others.

I covet Vetiver Pour Elle...it wasn't sold in the store when I bought Philtre d'Amour.

It sounds like BG has not raised their prices, since Guerlain did recently. But then you'll probably pay $25 in shipping charges, right?
    It sounds to me like BG doesn't quite know what they're selling as they told me it was 6.8 oz for $190, but then they charged me $220 for a 4.2 oz bottle. Shipping was an additional $12.75, I think.

The ebay bottle sold for $150... Must be that ppl consider the original duty-free version to be much better since the bee bottle, which is more than twice as large, can be had for only $70 more.
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Could be a collector's psychology - that issue is rare now, no matter how the juice smells.

The ebay bottle sold for $150... Must be that ppl consider the original duty-free version to be much better since the bee bottle, which is more than twice as large, can be had for only $70 more.

Ahh yes ofcourse, hadn't thought of that (I don't care about bottles all that much).
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Finally tried this one at the Guerlain counter here - it's quite something - I can see what fuss is about. After discount at Harvey Nicks it's USD 200 for the 125 ml . . . same as everywhere else, right?

If I was considering a second vetiver for summer, Vetiver Pour Elle would probably be the one.

So I got my decant of Vetiver pour Elle recently and I must say, I love it.
    This floral scent kisses the feminine boundaries and why not since it's meant for the gals but I have no issues with that.
    I see myself spraying this more often if I have a larger quantity in my stock.

Can anyone please confirm which is the cheapest place (in or outside of the USA) to buy it and how much does it cost? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I finally got to try VpE when I was in Paris last week. I was fully prepared to fall in love with it: I LOVE the men's Vetiver and VpE gets so much rave reviews around here. I was sorely disappointed: sure, it was a good fragrance. But come on, €155 (~ $224) for this!? Appalling sillage and longevity on my skin and the smell of it isn't much better than Grey Vetiver which can be had for about $85. I will be buying a softer vetiver at some point in the future, but it won't be VpE.

Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Basenotes Institution

I finally got to try VpE when I was in Paris last week. I was fully prepared to fall in love with it: I LOVE the men's Vetiver and VpE gets so much rave reviews around here. I was sorely disappointed: sure, it was a good fragrance. But come on, Ä155 (~ $224) for this!? Appalling sillage and longevity on my skin and the smell of it isn't much better than Grey Vetiver which can be had for about $85. I will be buying a softer vetiver at some point in the future, but it won't be VpE.

I had the same experience Merlino, the first time I tested it at the Guerlain boutique at The Breakers in Palm Beach (with Ruggles). But...I got a decant later on and after wearing it a few times...something clicked and I fell in love with it.

This one IMO requires a few wearings to 'get'. Of course, you might end up being bored by it even after subsequent wearings. I just thought I'd share my experience.

Thanks Mike. You might just be right and I have done 180's before... but it's not available here in The Netherlands and I'm not buying from TPC anymore. If you or anyone else would be willing to sell me a decant of say 5ml at a reasonable price that'd be great, though!
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Blog Entries

Red face Re: Vetiver Pour Elle by Guerlain

mtqprox05; As a fellow student I second your below statement.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Oh why oh why can't I be made of money! As everyone probably knows by now, I absolutely adore VpE, and if I wasn't a poor student it would be mine!

Sur la Plage

I would have paid $65 for it (I think that was the price when it was originally released). But it is in no way worth the current price IMO.

And to think, that according to some comments I've read online, the original Vetiver Pour Elle (in the original duty free bottle), was (according to them) even better than the juice in the new bee bottles, at Guerlain boutiques (and finer stores) now.
    It's a beautiful bottle, i remember that bottle with box going for like a yard.5 on eBay. Nuts.

Can anyone A&B it with my current favorite Guerlain, Vetiver Sport?

the smell of it isn't much better than Grey Vetiver which can be had for about $85.
    Really?
    I thought Grey vetiver was stasis-Derivative and below Vetiver Sport and Vetiver Extreme.
    Can you A&B Grey Vetiver to Vetiver pour elle in depth for us?

I had the same experience Merlino, the first time I tested it at the Guerlain boutique at The Breakers in Palm Beach.
    This one IMO requires a few wearings to 'get'. Of course, you might end up being bored by it even after subsequent wearings. I just thought I'd share my experience.
    I agree, for me it took quite a few visits to really smell it. That said, it still underwhelms me.

I just had a sample of this arrive... wonderful, love it. Any idea where I'd buy this online?

Quote Originally Posted by nwatts88 View Post
    I just had a sample of this arrive... wonderful, love it. Any idea where I'd buy this online?
    It looks like Neiman Marcus is still having their online trunkshow for Guerlain which includes VpE:
    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...308cat21290731

It's the only online source that I know of for any of Les Parisiennes, but I'm not sure how shipping would be to Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    It looks like Neiman Marcus is still having their online trunkshow for Guerlain which includes VpE:
    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...308cat21290731

It's the only online source that I know of for any of Les Parisiennes, but I'm not sure how shipping would be to Australia?
    Thanks so much! I can't order through the site, but the FAQ says that if I give them a call international delivery can be organised. I'm tempted to order both this and the Van Cleef & Arpels Bois d'Iris that's exclusive to Neiman Marcus.

Quote Originally Posted by nwatts88 View Post
    Gorgeous stuff! Isn't it?

I got my decant recently and absolutely fell in love with it. Very floral yet it doesn't bother me.
    Longevity is fantastic and so is sillage.
    If money was not a constraint I'd buy a full bee bottle in a heartbeat.
    Considering the impatient person that I am, I may still buy it.

I guess the only way to get it here is to request someone in the US to buy it for you and then ship it out to you.
    Another $30 easily on postage and paypal fees. I'd say it'd cost well over US$250 when it reaches here. That's still $2 per ml, which I think is not too much for this fantastic juice.

Nick, Gupts;

Someone on BN - one of the ladies I think - assured me that Guerlain Vetiver pour Elle was available in DJs in Sydney. So, on-line ordering may not be the only way to get it; however on-line would presumably be cheaper than buying locally.

Oh for sure gupts, really lovely. I'm not that fussed about price. If something is awesome and expensive I'll just save for it.

And thanks Dr Rudi, I'll have a look next time I'm shopping in Sydney.