Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Been Sampling...

After an initial rush of purchases I slowed down on my newfound fragrance hobby. But now the bug has bit me again, and I've been sampling quite a bit lately. Here's the 8 I've tried over the last two weeks.

Kenneth Cole Reaction - Pretty nice, but didn't blow me away.
    AdG <gasp> - Yes its way too common, and yes I put off trying it for a long time because of that. However I can understand why it's so popular, and it was my wife favorite of everything I've tried. Go figure.
    NOTE: I sampled these first two together (one on each arm), and they actually smelled pretty good together.
    Kenneth Cole Black - Boring, did nothing for me.
    Calvin Klein Man - Horrid. A scrubber for me.
    Mugler Cologne (mentioned in another thread) - very nice, and will add to my wanted list.
    L'eau d'Issey - Has been recommended for me on this board, and now I understand why. Loved it. Mostly aquatic, which is my favorite group, and on me had a very similar finish to the Mugler Cologne. Must purchase in the near future for me.
    Bvlgari Aqva Marine - I can see why some wouldn't like this one. It was quite a different take on the aquatics. As with the general consensus, I didn't like it as good as Aqva (still my current favorite), but I still kind of dug it. May end up getting it too.
    Allure Homme Sport - I was really looking forward to trying this one based on the rave reviews here. Unfortunately though, while it did smell great, it just isn't for me. At least not in warm weather. Most describe it as a fresh summer scent. It was fresh on me, but was too warm for my taste for summer. I may sample again in the winter, but at first test, not my cup of tea.

Anyway, based on my recent experience, what should I sample next? Please stay with designer frags that can be found at department stores. That's where I get to sample, and I probably wouldn't ever spend more that $50 - $60 for one bottle of cologne anyway.

Thanks in advance to all.

Default Re: Been Sampling...

Live Jazz is probably the freshest cologne I've ever smelled. It has good longevity for an aquatic.

Sur la Plage

Some you may want to sample:

Terre d'Hermes
    Armani Code
    Versace pour Homme
    YSL L'Homme
    Tom Ford for Men
    Bulgari Aqua
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

So what's the difference between Allure Homme Sport and Allure Homme Sport Cologne? And which do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    So what's the difference between Allure Homme Sport and Allure Homme Sport Cologne? And which do you prefer?
    I am assuming the difference is between Cologne and EDT so the difference is in their strengths (sillage, longevity). But I don't like either of them.

By the way, I agree that there is a good reason that AdG is as popular as it is. Many have compared Halston's Unbound for men to it - some even prefer it. As far as the rest of the Armani line, besides AdG, I don't care for them at all, not Code, not Diamonds - not until you start looking at the Prives, anyway.

As for what you should try next, I would continue with the Bulgari line. Personally, I like Blu Notte and Pour Homme Soir but Black is one of my favorites.

Also, try Chanel Egoiste (strong powerful stuff - I love it),
    Gucci II pour homme (everyone likes this but me but I still insist that you see for yourself)
    Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue (this is pretty damned good)
    Tommy Hilfiger (also pretty damned good)

I know there are some fragrances that I'm forgetting but between these and the others you'll be busy. I don't know where you live so I have no idea how close you are to any major cities but some of my favorite design houses are Guerlain, Yves Saint Laurent, Chanel and Hermes. If you can sample something from them I certainly would.

Have fun trying!
    Last edited by cbstarker; 24th July 2009 at 03:11 AM.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

He Wood by Dsquared2 -- nice woody scent. Available at dept stores (Nordstrom where I am) or Sephora.

Fresh Cannabis Santal -- light sandalwood; at Sephora

If there's a L'Occitane at your mall, their men's selections are worth sampling - Vetiver, Cedre, Eau de Baux, L'Eau de L'Occitane, -- and are within the "designer" pricing.

Good luck!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Blog Entries

Today's test was Versace Man Eau Fraiche on my arms and Bulgari Blu Notte and YSL L'Homme on sample cards.

The Versace is quite nice, but not nice enough to add to my purchase list I don't think.

I do believe I've identified a note though. I'm sure its an easy one for you pros, but being a newbie it's exciting for me. I noticed that the finish to this Versace was again similar to both the Mugler Cologne and L'eau d'Issey. Looked them up, and all 3 have Musk in the base. I believe that is what has held on so long on my skin for each of them.

As for the other two, didn't really care for Blu Notte, but the YSL was nice. I'll have to try that one on one day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    He Wood by Dsquared2 -- nice woody scent. Available at dept stores (Nordstrom where I am) or Sephora.

Fresh Cannabis Santal -- light sandalwood; at Sephora

If there's a L'Occitane at your mall, their men's selections are worth sampling - Vetiver, Cedre, Eau de Baux, L'Eau de L'Occitane, -- and are within the "designer" pricing.

Good luck!
    Kess (and others) thanks for the tips. I will have to see if I can track down the Fresh Cannabis Santal. I have noticed that many of the scents I favor have sandalwood and/or amber in them. Not having identified sandalwood yet I don't know if its what draws me to them. But it's worth a try.

This hobby is addictive. :-) But you all know that.