Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Friday 24 July

It has been a nice few days around the boards as it looks like everyone has settled into the dog days of summer and we’re all finding our smiles. Speaking of dog days.
    It was a red letter day at Stately Somerville Manor yesterday as we took the Wild Poodles of Somerville to Harvard. Rocco and Georgie were admitted to Harvard’s Canine Cognition Lab and tested yesterday. Rocco went first and performed like the champion mooch that he is. He first charmed our testers Britney and Sophia with the sit and lift my paw and look adorable trick. Then he was tested on whether he could find a treat that was hidden and lift a lid and get said treat. I knew our little food-driven counter cruiser would do well and he did. Georgie was next and while he also charmed the testers with his slightly nervous off-kilter charm it didn’t make for good testing as Georgie wasn’t focused on the treat and instead was looking at everything else. After numerous tries we all realized he just didn’t care. So Rocco graduated magna cum bark and Georgie was hanging out in Harvard Sq. saying “I am NOT a performing poodle!”. They both got certificates saying they’ve been to Harvard. We’re such proud parents.

Today I wanted something to go with the rainy day and I’m wearing one of my favorite rainy day scents because it always seems to blossom when the air is saturated.

Aramis 900

Aramis is one of those Houses that it took me a while to explore. One of the main reasons was that the original Aramis was associated with guys who wore too much cologne as I spent many nights choking on some would-be player’s cologne trail and it would invariably be Aramis. Flash-forward to a couple of years ago and I cautiously try Aramis Tuscany and say not bad. I follow this up with a sniff of JHL. Then the SA goes you should try this one it’s by the same person who designed Aramis. Immediately I’m like no chance, but it was too late, because like a trained sniper she’d sprayed the back of my hand. When I pulled it cautiously to my nose I was met with this overwhelmingly strong opening that made me think “Bleahh” but I gave it a moment and this became the scent that really turned my opinion of Aramis the House around. The scent on the back of my hand was the 1973 creation of Bernard Chant, Aramis 900. The opening of 900 is very strong and pushes right to the edge of what indoles can create. When indoles are used in too high a concentration they can come off smelling fecal but as they mellow they open up a wonderful deep green quality to a scent. From the first spray of 900 it comes off just to the wrong side of fecal but it thankfully lasts mere minutes and the deep green character comes through along with a bergamot that gives it a little sparkle. The depth of this green never really lets go and it is joined by a rosewood note which adds a little of both parts of that compound word as I get a little rose and a little wood to balance the green. The base is all chypre as oakmoss, vetiver and patchouli close 900 in standard style. Aramis 900 says on the bottle that it is an “herbal eau de cologne” and for a pyramid which contains no herbs it does come off as exactly what it’s labeled as. Unlike Aramis, 900 does not leave a trail of choking “admirers” in its wake. It is fairly close-wearing for a cologne with the heft it displays. Thankfully, 900 was the scent which has allowed me to put aside the bad memories of my youth and make new friends with an old House.

Have a Fierce Friday everyone.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 24th July 2009 at 11:11 AM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Sur la Plage

Default Re: S o t D Friday 24 July

My SOTD is Escada Casual Friday - for a casual Friday. Hope everyone has a great day!

Notes include Cedar, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Cinnamon, Aniseed, Licorice, Cotton Flower, Cardamom, Cloves, Amber, and Vanilla.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: SotD Friday 24 July

A sample of Caron En Avion today.
    Have a great day
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

Cacharel Liberté. TGIF!

SMM - Love those wild poodles!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 24th July 2009 at 11:38 AM.

Insane amounts of Le Baiser du Dragon. I love it so much I could swim in it.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Cacharel Liberté. TGIF!
    I have got this coming in a swap - you piqued my curiosity, and the thought of looking that good in a white shirt tipped me over the edge.

"So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    I have got this coming in a swap - you piqued my curiosity, and the thought of looking that good in a white shirt tipped me over the edge.

You really will look like that, trust me!

Quote Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post
    Insane amounts of Le Baiser du Dragon. I love it so much I could swim in it.
    I love that! That's my girl!

Congratulations to SMM on his Ivy League pooches!! Great story.

Brielle - think you and I (and maybe Chaya) are the only admirers of Parfum Rare here - but perhaps that's because not many have tried it. A WONderful BNer saw my review of the EDT and graciously sent me the extrait which I will happily send you if you haven't it.

Was up early to shower and spritz to cart my beloved marmalade "Alzee" (named for my late DH who was also a red head with a 'tude)....but Alzee sussed something was up and is still hiding behind the hot water heater.

Oh well.

Fig Almond and Cassis de Tesco is it for me today. On me the very decent fig is nicely supported with a hint of milky nutsiness. Yumsters!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Right, have now applied perfume, to wit:

Anna Sui Flight of Fancy - an ironic gift from Soirdelune. D & G Light Blue with slight fuzz round the edges.

DSH Essenza dell'Ibisco - waiting for any floral notes to punch their way out of the characteristic "house skank" opening, characteristic of many DSH scents.

Amouage Lyric - something too bitter or otherwise off kilter in it for me. Is it a curry condiment of some kind?

David Yurman - whatever was I on when I requested this in a swap? Gives Halle Berry a run for her money in the sweet powdery department. I'll take his jewellery any day, thanks!

Thumbs up Re: SotD Friday 24 July

CREED'S GREEN IRISH TWEED

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Bogart pour Homme this morning
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I love that! That's my girl!
    Thank you very much!

L'Air du Desert Marocain for my favorite day of the week! :bounce:

Enjoy your Friday everyone.

SMM thanks for sharing the story!
    Rocco and Georgie what a treat!

Today I'm in MyQueen,
    I think we might even avoid the rain today.
    Keeping my fingers crossed!

Nope, we've got a major downpour! @ 16:45
    but the morning was lovely! hehe
    Last edited by Agent Provocateur; 24th July 2009 at 08:47 PM.
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

:big wave: to Rocco, Georgie, Alzee and all the BaseNotes furry friends and sidekicks.

I skipped perfume first thing as I was meeting a newly pregnant friend, hurrah! I was going to sample Angel but that would have been a little unfair. I'm now confined to quarters on a wet miserable day in my own pink and happy cloud of Jour de Fete.

I've ignored my Hermes scents too long, so today I'll wear Elixir des Merveilles. I was amost swayed by the post yesterday about SMN Iris to wear that, but I know were the Elixir des Merveilles is, while I'd have to launch a search to find the SMN Iris! Maybe I'll have time to do that tomorrow.

Further to my earlier post, I just added Penhaligon's Lily & Spice - a tiny smidge as I spilt most of my sample - and a squirt of Diptyque Ofresia to the upper torso, both of which are lovely in isolation.

The DSH is a civetfest, the Yurman a choking, furry scrubber, like Boss Orange. If anyone comes across the latter in store at the weekend, DO NOT SMELL IT or it will spoil your day.

All in all I feel a bit sick.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 24th July 2009 at 01:41 PM.

Oh, VM, what a melange of pongs!

Am reporting in with my third try of Bal a Versailles, after scoring a respectably priced bottle at TKMaxx (thanks to an eagle-eyed British BNer here!).

We're getting along really well. Prior to today, I had only ever 'worked with' the EdT, which I found respectable, but somewhat smugly staid -- yes, rather pleased with itself. It irked me somewhat.

It had been mentioned on these boards that the Eau de Cologne (of which I am in possession) is more animalic, and I think I can concur with this assessment. Luckily, I find that a plus, rather than a minus.

To my interest, each sample of the EdC thus far has yielded different results. The first attempt smelt fusty and cardboardy in its topnotes; I began to doubt the provenance and age of the bottle I was testing. My second attempt was stupendously sh*tty -- VM, how can you wear this civet monster?! Cheerfully, it settled down after some time to something sultry and extremely sophisticated. Was cheered when partner walked through door and said instantly: You smell nice (always a bonus).

Today, the BaV is delectable and subdued. One small spritz on each wrist and just a little on the cleavage. I am going to London for a book launch tonight, and plan to ramp it up for the event.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

....thanks Soir! I love hearing how differently frags show themselves in different formulas at different times of day...the elusive wonders of parfumerie...!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Cheerfully, it settled down after some time to something sultry and extremely sophisticated. Was cheered when partner walked through door and said instantly: You smell nice (always a bonus).

Today, the BaV is delectable and subdued. One small spritz on each wrist and just a little on the cleavage. I am going to London for a book launch tonight, and plan to ramp it up for the event.
    I have only ever tried BaV in winter, but I was able to thole the warm civet hum in the background, possibly because the other notes without exception were amongst my favourites. I also found it sultry and sophisticated a few hours in, and even sat opposite a handsome respondent at his dining room table wearing it. This alluring sillage was somewhat offset by a recently cut and swollen lip, which continued to ooze and bleed slightly during our meeting, giving a whole new meaning to the term "lip gloss".

You watch your ramping, now, Soir...you know where it might lead! : - )

Basenotes Institution

Good morning everyone and TGIF !
    This morning I am wearing Beyond Love By Kilian thanks to Arwen_elf - the sweetie she is !
    Lovely tuberose soliflore- gorgeous cool opening. Thanks Arwen!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Testing Fig Tea from Nicolaï.

Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire.

It has taken some time for me to appreciate vetiver. There have been times when I've turned my nose up at it (or, in the case of Guerlain's fruity issue, turned away and scrubbed). I love what vetiver does to the base of Fracas, but I have not liked vetiver in Lutens' haute concentration mix, where the vetiver is as comfortable as scratchy wool. I had a brief run with the damp MPG vetiver and its sweet berried muddiness and then gave up. It took a while to learn that vetiver speaks multiple languages.

Malle's version is no-holds-barred and is the vetiver treatment I appreciate the most. It's in the way the ozone snaps through the scent as if lightning is going to strike. This seems provocative to me in a way the roasted chocolate of the Lutens is not. It tingles and gives a frisson of imminent danger; is a spark far behind? Ozone also gives an effect of coolness and windiness. From time to time I get a big jolt of the sour lemon in the top; this puckers the scent marvelously and gives both the scent and its wearer a sudden, sharp alertness.

The idea that Vetiver Extraordinaire might catch fire is enthralling. This is what causes it to smell a bit like an incense. Also of note is a dirtiness or scrubbiness suggestive of remoteness from the urban plain, and a wonderful, chaparral-like aridity. It's not a gateway vetiver by any means. It might even cause consternation in offices, which is a nice quality. I can only liken it to the experience of accumulating nature's aromatic details after spending a week stretched out in it.

Sensuous by EL, a gift from my husband.

Today I feel like something powdery and girly to off set the grey damp rain.... l'Artisan's Drole de Rose is pretty & soothing....

Ah, my gorgeousnesses...
    SMM- BIG POODLE YAY !
    [I never weary of pet stories...]

Tao- I love you and yours, too...

Congrats, Brielle- such lovely photos.
    I think you'll enjoy having your own place again

Know what the Chinese say about houseguests and FISH ?
    Well...I think we're THERE

In all fairness, I really DON'T think it's cultural.
    A little feedback would be NICE, you know ?

Anyhoo- 4 days migraine, now gone.
    Wore TF combo yesterday of Arabian Wood w/ TV- gorgeous.
    Today, the 'puppies' and I are skanking up the house in Amoureuse-
    Because I simply WANNA, dammit !

Birthday hugs, wishes for healing to the ailing-
    And my love to you good folk !

Basenotes Plus

SMM, I love those wild poodles!

SOTD is DSH Eau de Trianon in the perfume strength. The edt never lasted on my skin, so I wasn't inspired to review it in Sniffa Mag. The perfume is a different matter all together. This is the stunning fragrance I imagined, as I read off the impressive list of notes!
    "Top notes: Bergamot, Esprit de Fleurs d'Orange, Galbanum, Lemon
    Middle notes: Centifolia Rose Absolute, Gallica Rose Otto, Grandiflorum Jasmine, Jonquil, Moroccan Rose Absolute, Orris Concrete, Orris Root, Tuberose Absolute, Violet Leaf Absolute
    Base notes: Ambergris, Atlas Cedarwood, Benzoin, Vanilla Absolute" from www.dshperfumes.com

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Wearing a sample of SMN Garofano from our visit to Aedes last week. I only dabbed it on and am liking the subtle spiciness of it. Sprayed on, it would be too much, I think.

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834

SotD is vintage Jolie Madam by Balmain from a sample
    SotE will be L'Heure Bleue

Day: Quelques Fleurs by Houbigant
    Night: Daim Blond

Yatagan

Boy oh boy, what fun reading all your posts...the poodles, the scrubbers, the houseguests - invited & uninvited. Let's not forget the array of frags today as well!
    Tang's still got me laughing from yesterday's conversation...so I'll spritz on a sample she sent me ~ Cheap & Chic I love love, by Moschino. Thanks!
    Ready for a fun afternoon with the daughter, going to see The Ugly Truth (chic flick) and have some Mexican food for lunch, YUMMMM! Adios muchachas!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 24th July 2009 at 03:44 PM.

Oh, UBU !
    Take ME, please !!!

Un Jardin Apres La Mousson by Hermes
    Last edited by jjl1220; 24th July 2009 at 04:01 PM.

Right now I smell quite a lot of Wet Corgi, due to an unplanned furchild in the pool. He certainly would never get in unless by accident

After shower, I have plans to douse myself in Safran Troublant. And the offending pup may get a spritz too.

Parfumerie Generale L'Oiseau de Nuit

Happy Friday!!!

Diptyque
    L'OMBRE DANS L'EAU

Back from our little getaway and awash in samples already! I wore iPdF's Brezza di Mare most of this week (thank Haunani) even though it was really only hot and sunny once :-(

Now I'm testing

CdG's Champaca, which is green, lemony, and a little bit floral. Nice but I'll have to retest.

Highland Lilac of Rochester is a clean, simple and beautiful lilac (thanks Kumquat!) and I definitely smell a purchase :-)

Naj-Oleari is an interesting spicy floral with a smooth, woody drydown with a truly 80s feel.....

My ankle is still bothering me....how will I work tonight??? If it starts bothering me again, back to the ER, I guess!

SotE.....FM Lys Mediterranee.
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Good afternoon all.

SMM- See, now you can brag about your "little ones" going to Harvard. Loved the story.

Tao- I do adore Parfum Rare so much, and it seems to live up to its moniker; no one has this scent, or has smelt it. I am wearing it again, as I do realize how much joy it brings, and would be over the moon to try the extrait. You are too kind and generous, and I thank you.

Chaya, we will chat about the guest and see what is happening. I am going to start an off-topic thread on the house hunt, so everyone can come along for the ride. It should be interesting.

Today I am, once again, wearing Parfum Rare. It has just enchanted the daylights out of me. i have neglected it for too long, mostly because it is so rare that I probably will never find it again. It was pretty "rare" when it was first out, so it is much more so now.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and weekend, love and hugs xoxox
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Kapsule Light by Karl Lagerfeld
    Evenstar

Mûre et Musc Extrême, again.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Tang's still got me laughing from yesterday's conversation...so I'll spritz on a sample she sent me ~ Cheap & Chic I love love, by Moschino. Thanks!
    Ha! Was the Chic(k) aspect intentional?

Ok, too funny not to share: Yesterday as I was driving through my 4th or 5th small town of the day (pop. 1,100), a white chicken loped across the highway, right in front of me. I had to step on the brakes to avoid running(over) a-fowl. Even for small rural towns in this part of the country, it was a bizarre sight. The chicken was running from a convenience store on the north side of the highway to a convenience store on the south side of the highway, so I guess the punchline is: "Because the gas was cheaper on the other side." I had just gotten off the phone with ubu, but I called her right back to tell her what had happened.

Tonight, Eau de Coq.
    Last edited by tang; 24th July 2009 at 07:39 PM.

Honeysuckle Bird again.

SotD is Profumo "L" again. I sprayed a bit more today, and it is lasting beautifully--still smell roses 5 hours after application

Basenotes Plus

Hello, everyone! Great posts today, as usual. High caliber writing abounds here, for sure.

Sotd is Helmut Lang eau de parfum

Happy Friday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Institution

This afternoon - it's Shalimar EDP . Have a great Friday !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Morning: SMN Ginestra, just perfect for the heat
    Evening: Dior's Bois d'Argent, my favourite honey

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post

Tonight, Eau de Coq.
    Wow - your SOTD is a pun! That's what collecting is all about - always having the one on hand that'll make for the best story or the nicest memory.

It has occured to me that our Basenotes meet-up is coming up quickly and I don't really have much that I'm looking to buy right now. So, I'm trying samples of things that I could buy at the meet-up if I like them. With that in mind, my SOTD today has been my first test of Serge Lutens Datura Noir.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be buying this one...

The top was really really really sweet sweet sweet strong candy - specifically Twizzlers red licorice with a bit of green mixed in to keep it from being too immature (though I think it kind of failed - the first 30 minutes could have easily passed for some sort of teen-aimed doll-themed scent).

Eventually, it turned out to be a really sweet minty tuberose, complete with indoles and a green note (the slow fade from Twizzlers to sweetened tuberose was interesting, if not really my style).

The tuberose has faded into a base of still-very-sweet cinnamon (not the real kind, but the candy/gum kind) over vanilla, which has sort of a cheap Christmas candle vibe.

All that being said, my skin intensifies sweetness, and that could be to blame for the mega-candy aspects of this, but it really does basically smell like the very un-respected Diesel Zero Plus Masculine (cinnamon candy/candle over vanilla) with a decent tuberose added.

Truly, on me, it's saccharine and awful, but it could maybe be quite nice on someone else.

Or I may just be giving this too much credit because it's a Lutens and I don't want to be mean to such a respected house...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Tang, that's very funny

Second day in Daim Blond. I had a sort of reverse craving for it today; nothing else I have seemed to feel right, so I defaulted back to DB for a second day. (And it appears I'm half-day scent twins with Coconut).

Oh and Rogalal; Datura Noir is one of my favourites - very, very sweet, but on me, doesn't appear to go sickly; it becomes a candied tuberose with a hint of coconut and makes me think of proper, old-fashioned perfumes and wine gums and jelly sweets. Weird, I know.

Armani Prive Ambre Soie
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Putting Clive Christian's "X" to the 16 hour test today. Whew is it 7:30am yet.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Miller et Bertaux Green in the morning, some Manoumalia for the afternoon... happy Friday to all!

Fun story, tang!

But looking at this:

First thought was: What's this smiley doing to this poor chicken??

Back on topic: I'm wearing Bond No. 9 West Side.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!
    I hope Veuve is fighting the flu successfully. Get better soon, Veuve!

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Mûre et Musc Extrême, again.

Ha! Was the Chic(k) aspect intentional?

Ok, too funny not to share: Yesterday as I was driving through my 4th or 5th small town of the day (pop. 1,100), a white chicken loped across the highway, right in front of me. I had to step on the brakes to avoid running(over) a-fowl. Even for small rural towns in this part of the country, it was a bizarre sight. The chicken was running from a convenience store on the north side of the highway to a convenience store on the south side of the highway, so I guess the punchline is: "Because the gas was cheaper on the other side." I had just gotten off the phone with ubu, but I called her right back to tell her what had happened.

Tonight, Eau de Coq.

Eau de Coq ~ I'M SCREAMING!!!! Hysterical stuff, this whole chicken thing has me in an uproar!

I've heard airfare to NY LaGuardia is dirt cheap, maybe tang and I will plan a search & rescue for Chaya...we'll fight off chickens along the way...kidnap her, and head straight for the theatre! Or, if we make good time, grab ComDiva, Brielle and SMM as we swiftly swoop through the East Coast - oops, let's not forget Ruggles Hey, now that I think of it maybe Diva, Therese and tdem could join us too! What a hot clucking time we'd have! Is Mexican good for you guys?
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 24th July 2009 at 10:20 PM.

Ormonde Jayne Frangipani. If I could only have two perfumes from my wardrobe to wear from now on I'd have to go for this and Neil Morris' Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Eau de Coq ~ I'M SCREAMING!!!! Hysterical stuff, this whole chicken thing has me in an uproar!

I've heard airfare to NY LaGuardia is dirt cheap, maybe tang and I will plan a search & rescue for Chaya...we'll fight off chickens along the way...kidnap her, and head straight for the theatre! Or, if we make good time, grab ComDiva, Brielle and SMM as we swiftly swoop through the East Coast - oops, let's not forget Ruggles What a hot time we'd have! Is Mexican good for you guys?
    Now I am in the mood for enchiladas, chicken enchiladas that is. With a lot of mole poblana sauce on them.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Etat Libre d'Orange
    JASMIN ET CIGARETTE

Givenchy Amarige Mariage from a sample.