Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which of these disappointed you (you can choose several) ?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Encre Noire

15 13.51%
  • Envy

20 18.02%
  • Pi

36 32.43%
  • Jaipur

10 9.01%
  • L'Instant

14 12.61%
  • Le Male

32 28.83%
  • Rochas Man

9 8.11%
  • A*Men

24 21.62%
  • Rive Gauche

17 15.32%
  • M7

11 9.91%
  • Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

19 17.12%
  • Original Vetiver by Creed

14 12.61%
  • Allure

23 20.72%
  • Magnetism

15 13.51%
  • Dior Homme

21 18.92%
  • Gucci Pour Homme (2003)

19 17.12%
  • Michael for Men (Kors)

13 11.71%
  • Bvlgari Black

31 27.93%
  • Terre d'Hermes

31 27.93%
  • Bvlgari Pour Homme

19 17.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Which recent frags disappointed you terribly ?

Okay, here is the poll for recent frags (since the late 1990s). Because I mistakenly thought M7 was several years older, I will include it in this poll too. The idea is this, and you can choose more than one: Which frags did you think would be great, but they disappointed you terribly. Mostly, you read online reviews (here and elsewhere), read BN posts about it, and perhaps read a review by Luca Turin or Chandler Burr. I am excluding "niche," except for a couple of recent Creeds. All are the men's versions, though Bvlgari Black is "unisex." I didn't include frags like Joop! Homme because it got so many bad reviews here, and if it disappointed you, you certainly can't blame BNers. LOL.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 29th September 2009 at 03:35 AM.

Default Re: Which recent frags disappointed you terribly ?

I always expect nothing. I don't get hyped or dismayed of scents because of what I hear on here or elsewhere.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

I was lead to believe Jaipur Homme was a superior version Burberry London. Not only did Jaipur Homme fail to do anything for me - it was weak, soapy, and over-sweet - it was absolutely nothing like London, which I quite liked.

Terre de Hermes... yes, it seems to have inspired much Basenoter beat poetry about rocks, stars, and humanity's place in the world, but for me it was a disappointing citrus.

Dior Homme is merely bland. Iris Silver Mist it sure isn't.

I like Tabarome but had to choose that one above others. With the name and tobacco supposedly being one of the notes, I was shocked to smell none and IMO it is quite unisex. I already have enough unisex crap. I was hoping for a man's frag and to me this aint it. Maybe the "original" is better, or so the price it commands would imply.

I'm almost always disappointed in Creed.

I really liked the vegetal ginger in Tabaróme Millésime, but it just didn't last long enough to be bottle worthy to me. Instead of the Vintage version, you can try Havana or Jazz Prestige. I have JP, but I don't really like the notes/structure of these, though JP would be my pick from among the 3.

I've come around on Dior Homme and think it is at least good. My first few samplings were more "articulated." Now, it comes across more "creamy." I wish I knew why.

Encre Noire and Envy have been the biggest disappointments to me. I tried at least 3 full wearings for each. EN is "headache in a bottle" to me, and Envy gets nauseating after a while. I was hoping for the rich vegetal quality of TM's top notes in EN, but instead it was like getting stabbed in the nose. Envy has a sweet/synthetic quality that I just haven't been able to "get around" in order to enjoy it.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 29th September 2009 at 04:21 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Givenchy Pi. Benzoin overdose.

Dependent

Allure Homme

Bvlgari PH

I generally like everything else on that list that I have tried but Bvlgari has never has clicked.

Le male was the very first perfume i run across on the internet, sites and boards discussing beauty and frags etc. I had somewhat high expectations but smelling it smashed thoses pretty thoroughly..
    Terre and Gucci didnt work fo rme either...the rest i like.

Bvlgari Black continues to disappoint me, year after year.

Allure Homme followed very closely by Rive Gauche.

Narciso Rodriguez... Smells like my grandparents house, which smells like dog, after 4-5 hours. The first few hours are good though.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Basenotes Plus

Terre de Hermes and Bvlgari Black.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 29th September 2009 at 06:16 AM.

Dior Homme. I have tried several times, but I just don't understand its appeal

Creeds never failed to disappoint me! I just don't get them or get what's so special about them.

Magnetism, L'Instant, Rive Gauche and Dior Homme.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Magnetism, Tabaróme Millésime, Pi, Envy and Encre Noir(used to lovel EN, but then it turned horrid towards basenotes on my skin)

Gucci PH and Bulgari Black

Bvlgari Pour Homme. Because it`s not my type of fragrance-family. Is to aqua/water/tea/fresh/casual for my taste.

Nothing marked. This selection is from a period where I had developed more of a routine to sample perfumes. I now know that I will find maybe one cologne bottle worthy in twenty or thirty sampled (and maybe even liked). When I approach perfumes with a low or average level of expectations what could I be disappointed by ?
    I developed a dislike for Terre d'H after first full wearings. It now causes me to sneeze. I bought Bulgary Black blind based on one great review mainly. I didn't like what I smelled, but I find it rather unique. Neither am disappointed, nor full of praise. I tested Dior Homme as one of the first and disliked it immediately. I don't think I 'missed getting it'. What's heaven for some can be hell for others - that's a fact.
    Last edited by narcus; 29th September 2009 at 11:30 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Terre d'Hermes - the only one I had high expectations for (based on the reviews).

Le Male, Rive Gauche, and Bvlgari PH. I don't really quite understand why so many people were disappointed with Terre d'Hermes...is it because of the Hermes brand name? Also, I like Dior Homme and think people should give it more of a chance.

Envy and Terre d'Hermes hands down.

I don't really have high expectations of anything released in the perfume industry these days. Call me jaded, but all the hype around these mediocre fragrances had made me wary of getting my hopes up. Now I just accept that 90+% of the releases will be derivative, uninspiring, and/or poorly conceived.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I really don't get the hate for TdH. It is not a masterpiece but I have teste it against several non-parfumisti and it is sure hit for them. That doesn't mean anything of course but I cannot see anything dissapointing in it.

Terre d'Hermes ... was my greatest disappointment ! (Orange Furniture Polish !) ....
    (But I think it is also mostly because I am just soooo bored with citrus in men's fragrances !)

And unfortunately the Creeds for me somehow always manage to be one disappointment after another ! Especially the two mentioned ! ... At least they are consistent !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 2nd October 2009 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Givenchy Pi. Benzoin overdose.
    Halleluja !!! Diamondflame ! ... You are one of the very first I have heard to correctly describe "Pi" as a benzoin overdose ... As opposed to the much more usual erroneous "vanilla overdose" ! ....

(You deserve one large "gold star" on the forehead for that one ! (LOL)

In my opinion, AMen and Gucci pour Homme left me hoping for more and also having the sensation that I do not get enough class, creativity and sillage for my cash.

Cool Re: Which recent frags disappointed you terribly ?

Encre Noire.

I'm terribly disappointed that, despite all the positive reviews, I can't afford to buy it.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 29th September 2009 at 04:46 PM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Ken_Russell
    In my opinion, AMen and Gucci pour Homme left me hoping for more and also having the sensation that I do not get enough class, creativity and sillage for my cash.
    Of course not enough "class" and "creativity" is entirely your own opinion (which of course you are completely and entirely entitled to ! ) ....

.... But not enough "sillage" out of A*Men ??? That I find really really hard to believe

Hell, ... A*Men is renowned for it's near nuclear sillage ! (LOL)

Pi, Le Male and Michael for Men.

Glad to see Rochas Man with not much disappointed as I'm wearing it right now lol, and I like it.

Hah, Pi and TdH is leading the pack atm

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Yes, a score around 7 seems to be very good. And I'm also very surprised about Pi.

L' Artisan - Côte d'Amour

I thought I would like this based on the listed notes, but I think it smells nothing like it says and is one of my least favorite frags I have ever tried.

I never expected much from 90s scents, hence I am not dissapointed--though Terre de Hermes is decent.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I never expected much from 90s scents, hence I am not dissapointed--though Terre de Hermes is decent.
    Haha the 90's rocked!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Envy and Terre d'Hermes hands down.
    Terre d'Hermes is perhaps the greatest neutral ever conceived. Fans of Gray's "Elegy Written In A Country Church-Yard" need look no further...except substitute here abandoned orange grove.

Axe Fever Body Spray is a a superior scent.

Ultimately I don't get my hopes up for any one fragrance enough to get what you'd call 'disappointed' - and certainly not 'disappointed terribly' if I don't like it. I sample and try so many fragrances of all types, sources, etc. and probably 2% or less end up as full bottles on the shelf.

I've read that Terre d'Hermes is the #1 selling men's fragrance in France, which is no small statement. Seems to be a good seller here in the US, and I know everywhere I go that carries it the SAs always push it (and they do so in a way that's like "hey... this is the really good stuff that people who know fragrance like."). Naturally when something is so popular and widespread there's going to be plenty of people who try it, don't like it, and wonder what all the fuss is about. Personally I think it's OK... I have a bottle that doesn't get a ton of wear (maybe 2-3x over the whole summer), but the parfum addresses what I didn't like about the EdT so it's on the 'really want' list.

Quote Originally Posted by heynow View Post
    Ultimately I don't get my hopes up for any one fragrance enough to get what you'd call 'disappointed' - and certainly not 'disappointed terribly' if I don't like it. I sample and try so many fragrances of all types, sources, etc. and probably 2% or less end up as full bottles on the shelf.

I've read that Terre d'Hermes is the #1 selling men's fragrance in France, which is no small statement. Seems to be a good seller here in the US, and I know everywhere I go that carries it the SAs always push it (and they do so in a way that's like "hey... this is the really good stuff that people who know fragrance like."). Naturally when something is so popular and widespread there's going to be plenty of people who try it, don't like it, and wonder what all the fuss is about. Personally I think it's OK... I have a bottle that doesn't get a ton of wear (maybe 2-3x over the whole summer), but the parfum addresses what I didn't like about the EdT so it's on the 'really want' list.
    I'm afraid that even the parfum version of "Terre d'Hermes" left me just marginally less disappointed. ... Habit Rouge is yet another fragrance that is also "lauded by the masses", and which I also do not understand what all the fuss is about ??? ... Both of them, to me, are just very basic, "safe", and with nothing particularly distinctive or interesting about them. Which is exactly how they need to be, to be of appeal to a majority section of the public. ... I mean, I think they are both perfectly fine somewhat inoffensive everyday "office" type fragrances. Which is probably why they are both "no.1 selling" fragrances. ... But also probably why they just leave me cold !

One thing that I have learned from being on BN. Is that the fragrances I tend to be most attracted to, seem to mostly be the ones either hated by the majority. Or those with very strong love/hate opposing reviews. (Which I usually take as an excellent sign. And the mark of a potentially very good fragrance). I've found those are the ones that tend to be most interesting, original, and distinctive ! ... So I pretty much know now that if a frag is considered fantastic by "the masses", there is a pretty good chance that I will probably disagree !

So the fact that a fragrance is a "no.1 seller", I usually take more as a warning rather than as a good sign !
    For as we know "good taste" hardly ever lies with the majority, but rather much more likely in the minority ! ...

(Besides a good seller has usually much more to do with massive advertising than quality or excellence !)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 2nd October 2009 at 07:36 PM.

I couldnt stand PI. It was a scrubber for me

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    One thing that I have learned from being on BN. Is that the fragrances I tend to be attracted by are mostly the ones either hated by the majority. Or those with very strong love/hate opposing reviews. (Which I usually take as a good sign). I've found those are the ones that tend to be most interesting and distinctive ! ... So I pretty much know now that if a frag is considered fantastic by many, there is a good chances I probably won't agree !

So the fact that a fragrance is a "no.1 selling" fragrance, I usually take that as more of a warning rather than as a good sign !
    For as we know "good taste" hardly ever lies with the majority, but rather in the minority ! ...

(Besides a good seller has usually much more to do with massive advertising than quality or excellence !)
    To some extent this is exactly my point. Many people above comment to the effect of "I don't get what all the fuss is about with TdH." I'm positing that the reason there's so much 'fuss' is because it's so widespreadly popular, especially within the collector world. Like every other fragrance it's going to have fans and detractors. I would dare to guess that as a generally matter that the French general public has slightly better taste then the US public when it comes to fragrance (just a guess). As I said above, personally I think it's a darn good citrus, and if I'm going to smell something on random people in a crowd I'm glad it's TdH and not AdG. I don't think I've ever seen any marketing in popular media in the US but I don't know about France.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I'm almost always disappointed in Creed.
    I am with Asha on Creed. I test with an open mind -as I am always ready to try /buy a Creed but I am mostly always disappointed. A shame.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

One thing that I have learned from being on BN. Is that the fragrances I tend to be attracted by are mostly the ones either hated by the majority. Or those with very strong love/hate opposing reviews. (Which I usually take as a good sign). I've found those are the ones that tend to be most interesting and distinctive ! ... So I pretty much know now that if a frag is considered fantastic by many, there is a good chances I probably won't agree !
    Surely you didn't need to come to Basenotes to learn this about yourself, as it's a mere truism for arts lovers in general.

I tell you, I guess I'm winding down a little on my expectations of colognes. My zeal is running a little cooler. After sampling a handful of niche legends here lately, and not being impressed with any of them, even with adequate cash in hand, I was a little let down. Harder to wow, I guess.

Last wow was Terre d'Hermes. Cologne is becoming more of an accessory and less of an object of desire!

I still like 'em, but the love is waning.

Frip ... Surely you didn't need to come to Basenotes to learn this about yourself, as it's a mere truism for arts lovers in general.
    Absolutely, I agree that it is very much a "truism of arts lovers in general". And you are correct that I had known this of myself before in regard to other areas, such as the arts, fashion etc. etc. ...
    But it was only since I have had a chance to learn about others likes and dislikes as regards to fragrance, here on BN.( Of which there was no other way of knowing before).
    That I have come to realise this of my fragrance preferences !

To some extent this is exactly my point. Many people above comment to the effect of "I don't get what all the fuss is about with TdH." I'm positing that the reason there's so much 'fuss' is because it's so widespreadly popular, especially within the collector world. Like every other fragrance it's going to have fans and detractors. I would dare to guess that as a generally matter that the French general public has slightly better taste then the US public when it comes to fragrance (just a guess). As I said above, personally I think it's a darn good citrus, and if I'm going to smell something on random people in a crowd I'm glad it's TdH and not AdG. I don't think I've ever seen any marketing in popular media in the US but I don't know about France.
    Terre d'Hermes was picked up and pushed onto the public by just about every single men's fashion, and men's Health magazines, and lauded as "the fragrance to have, if you were anyone". Which is why I believe it has done so incredibly well, and purchased by so many, whether they actually liked the fragrance or not. Just because they were told that it was the fashionable fragrance to have .

And, of course, there are also all the many others who purchased the frag because they actually liked the fragrance for what it is! ... But I'm pretty sure that it would not be "the no1 seller" that it has become, had it not been pushed so hard by all these many various recommendations lauding it as the fashionable fragrance to own. As I have seen in it "talked up" in just about every single publication I've read. ...
    (You know the type of comment : The fragrance loved by "people in the know" (*taps side of nose*) ... "Anyone who knows anything about high end fragrances, love Terre d'Hermes" ... "The best kept secret of fragrance connoisseurs" ... etc. etc.

That's the type of "bull" I mean ! ... And I'm not exaggerating , I've read all of the above, and way more all in the same vein!
    Last edited by Sybarite; 3rd October 2009 at 02:44 AM.

Pi: The fragrance for the math teacher from hell.
    Jaipur: I just don't get all the reactions, in either EdT or EdP. Even on one of my friends, and it's the only cologne he wears.
    Envy: Old Spice v2.0. Why get it when v1.0 is just as good and far cheaper?
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

from top to buttom

Pi (no explanation needed)
    L'Instant (sickening note)
    Bvlgari Black (barely wearable)
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Original Vetiver by Creed (I guess I expected a little more for the price)

Lol @ pi and tdh getting dumped on. I actually wore pi today. It didn't move me like it has in the past, but I recall several wearings where I found it quite satisfying.

Envy has never disappointed me. When I first smelled it in the store, I didn't like it on me at all. I later bought a sample and gave it a full wearing. Loved it! Gucci by Gucci is crap. Tdh is hugely overrated. Le Male is lovely, but it's too popular.

Terre d'Hermes was picked up and pushed onto the public by just about every single men's fashion magazine, and lauded as "the fragrance to have", if you were "anyone". Which is why I believe it has done so incredibly well, and purchased by so many, whether they actually liked the fragrance or not. Just because they were told that it was the fashionable fragrance to have .

And, of course, there are also all the many others who purchased the frag because they actually liked the fragrance for what it is! ... But I'm pretty sure that it would not be "the no1 seller" that it has become, had it not been pushed so hard by all these many various recommendations lauding it as the fashionable fragrance to own. As I have seen in just about every single publication I've read.
    Ahhh.. makes sense. Seeing as though I don't read fashion mags that's probably why I missed the ads/recs. By popular media I was referring to very large-scale publications (I.e. Time Magazine, the NYT) in which I see AdG ads, but that's really besides the point. Like I said, every scent is going to have its fans and detractors, with TdH no exception. Unlike massively popular scents like AdG, Sean John etc. I feel there a whole lot worse scents that have been embraced by the public then a JCE/Hermes. I like - don't love - TdH for what it is and will likely by the parfum soon. To each their own...not trying to fight over whether something was marketed in popular media.

Ahhh.. makes sense. Seeing as though I don't read fashion mags that's probably why I missed the ads/recs.

Unlike massively popular scents like AdG, Sean John etc. I feel there a whole lot worse scents that have been embraced by the public then a JCE/Hermes. I like - don't love - TdH for what it is and will likely by the parfum soon.
    +1 I totally agree!

Ahhh.. makes sense. Seeing as though I don't read fashion mags that's probably why I missed the ads/recs. By popular media I was referring to very large-scale publications (I.e. Time Magazine, the NYT) in which I see AdG ads, but that's really besides the point. Like I said, every scent is going to have its fans and detractors, with TdH no exception. Unlike massively popular scents like AdG, Sean John etc. I feel there a whole lot worse scents that have been embraced by the public then a JCE/Hermes. I like - don't love - TdH for what it is and will likely by the parfum soon. To each their own...not trying to fight over whether something was marketed in popular media.
    Nope , absolutely. (I'm really not trying top pick a fight, honest ! ) ... And I totally agree with you that Td'H is definitely a major improvement on all the "AdG's" etc. out there, and far far more pleasant ! ... And if one is looking for a citrus/vetiver frag one could do far worse. I do not actually think it's a bad fragrance as such ~ Not at all, in fact ! ... I just think that it is rather far too overrated. I just think it aint as special and "innovative" as it's been made out to be. That's all !

I couldn't include L'Anarchiste in this poll (only 20 allowed), so I created a thread just for it, because I think it might better represent the "BN disappointment factor" (because it's not "pushed" the way T'dH and some others are). The link to that thread is: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=237029