Code of Conduct
    Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Bond No9 Perfume (2009 Holiday release): A review

In Cairomerta's "Harrods" thread, I promised that I was going to review the new Bond No9 holiday oud scent, and have done just that.

Here is an excerpt:

I've always felt it was only a matter of time before NYC perfume giants Bond No9 produced an oud fragrance. Following in the footsteps of many niche houses (and more than a handful of designer ones), Bond No9 have chosen this highly prized ingredient and will be taking us on an Arabian Nights journey into NoHo, just in time for the Christmas.
    This scent - simply named Bond No9 Perfume - is said to feature only four ingredients, the fewest ever used in a Bond No9 release. As I scan the pyramid notes accompanying my sample, I am very enthusiastic: oud extract, rose, tonka beans and musk from the Asian musk deer...

read more here

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bond No9 Perfume (2009 Holiday release): A review

Thanks D. Sounds a little too aldehyde prominent for my tastes but eh...BN9 and I are not the best of friends anyway.

I can't seem to shake the feeling though, that if BN9 is marketing that the scent contains real musk from deers, that PETA is going to have a field day with this, no?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing review Dimitri. Thank you very much. Your words are very descriptive and really give me sense of the scent. I think from what I read from your description is that maybe this is a small step approach that bond is taking in regards to the eastern style perfume. They dont look like they want to jump head first into a strong dirty style oud scent in an effort to not alienate their fan base. Either way it sounds nice. I would love to see how this oud scent compares to the limited edition Harrods oud scent they are currently out with and that is double the price.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Mike I'm sure PETA would hang draw and quarter the whole bunch of them if there was a whisker of musk deer in it. It makes me wonder why they'd even suggest there is, when clearly there's not.
    *scratches head*

It is pretty amazing, and no they don't actually hurt any animals to make the fragrance!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quite puzzled at your review...you literally slam it to pieces but wind up giving it a thumbs up.

Maybe its like how Kurkdjian's overtly synthetic cheesy compositions somehow work..
    -

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

zztop, I look at it through 2 sets of eyes: one being a perfume enthusiast who frankly knows a fair bit about traditional ouds, musks and middle eastern perfume oils; and the other - Bond No9's target consumer who wouldnt know what oud was if it jumped out of their porridge and gave them a haircut.

I think the line where I say "it is an excellent entry point into the mainstream market" is key.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dimi ... Thanx for the review. It is certainly very interesting ! ... Especially how they are hinting at real oud with the "oud extract", to the unsuspecting. ... As if ! (LOL) ...
    Though I am very much intrigued, now that you have mentioned that it actually comes pretty close to the real deal, scent wise. ... I'm certainly looking forward to a sniff. (Personally I'm quite pleased that the rose is taking a back seat here. I am already a little tired of rose/oud scents !)
    I don't suppose you know if it differs very much from the Harrods exclusive release ??? They sound like they could quite possibly be just "variations on a theme".
    Last edited by Sybarite; 25th July 2009 at 07:43 AM.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I agree that some liberties must have been taken at Bond No9 when writing the perfume notes...
    No, I'm afraid I have no idea if they are similar Sybarite as I've not sampled the Harrods scent.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 25th July 2009 at 08:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am getting myself all confused now with these different Bond/Harrods oud releases. ... But apparently according to the advertising for the Harrods swarovski one , they state that , and I quote :
    "Three years in the making, Bond No. 9’s Harrods Special Edition contains as its key ingredient not an oud approximation, but the real thing !"
    Can it possibly be ???? ... I am now really intrigued ! ... Surly they could not advertise as such, if it was not true ???

Post Thanks / Like

I have also just noticed the notes of the Harrods one , and they are actually totally different.
    They are : Black pepper, cumin, amber, myrrh, oud, vetiver (with the oud apparently the real deal !)

Now if they do actually use the real thing, it might just warrant those ridiculous prices !

Post Thanks / Like

It may be a million miles removed from the tanneries of the medina, or the desert soukhs of the Maghreb, but I think it fair to say that for the average American nose, that's probably a good thing.

A good thing indeed .... true Eastern oud combined with true deer musk would place this one into such a finite 'niche' groove that the sales volume would be virtually non-existent. Those who might be interested would likely already have better in their collection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I think the line where I say "it is an excellent entry point into the mainstream market" is key.
    Interesting you say that, considering it will be even more exclusive due to its perfume concentration, price, 'oud' promotion, and perhaps even distribution !

So its sort of like how Guerlain Homme gets a thumbs up by some around here - got it
    -

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Interesting you say that, considering it will be even more exclusive due to its perfume concentration, price, 'oud' promotion, and perhaps even distribution !

So its sort of like how Guerlain Homme gets a thumbs up by some around here - got it
    Ooh look, a critique of my critique!
    Lol, perhaps because Im still rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I dont quite know how Guerlain Homme factors into this conversation suddenly, and the associations you have between the two. Perhaps after I drink my first coffee of the day....
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 26th July 2009 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks for the info Dimitri.....I am a HUGE Bond No.9 fan.....I will give this a test drive.....I also want to sample the Harrods for Men scent.....Bond No.9 is really on a roll.....They have my attention that's for sure.
    Thanks again.....Gary

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken this review down for the time being at the request of Bond, who have asked me to hold off until after the launch of "Success is a Job in NY". Should be back up at the end of August.

Hurrah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I've taken this review down for the time being at the request of Bond, who have asked me to hold off until after the launch of "Success is a Job in NY". Should be back up at the end of August.

Hurrah.
    Wow ... What ???, are they now worried that people will perhaps not purchase "Success" , if they have this one rather to look forward to ??? (LOL) ... How silly !
    (But they could very well be correct, I suppose !)

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks D. Sounds a little too aldehyde prominent for my tastes but eh...BN9 and I are not the best of friends anyway.

I can't seem to shake the feeling though, that if BN9 is marketing that the scent contains real musk from deers, that PETA is going to have a field day with this, no?
    In case anyone missed it, Nathan Branch (a Basenotes member and online perfume/fashion industry blogger) wrote about exactly what I posted about, in this thread - in response to Dimitri's original review/thread.

Read the story about the musk from deers, etc here: http://www.nathanbranch.com/2009/09/...press-rel.html
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thnak You Dimitri.....This is one that I want to sample.....If I like this.....this will be one of my Christmas presents.....Thanks again for the info.
    gary

Look forward to sampling this in the hopefully near future thanks.