Code of Conduct

Default Cool Water Flankers

Forgive me if this has been done before, but my brain has been fried with the sheer quantity of CW Flankers. "Happy"? "Summer Fizz"? "Ice Summer"? "Wtf"? Are any of these really worth paying attention to, or did Davvy hit it right the first time around?

I never thought looking for a decent Summer frag would be made so difficult by stupid names. That's right, i'm lookin' at you, "Freeze Me."

Default Re: Cool Water Flankers

I could ask the same question about YSL's Opium and Kouros flankers. Why are there so many?

Dependent

I do remember a similar thread months ago, but I myself can't recall which one. I do recall mentioning that I found the CW flankers a little redundant to the consumer, IMO of course. The original is so distinctive and has quite a reputation already, its flankers just seem to dilute the novelty of CW, again IMO. Maybe its purely a marketing strategy to attract a wider consumer spectrum? I do agree with you that the flanker names are a little cheesy...

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I could ask the same question about YSL's Opium and Kouros flankers. Why are there so many?
    Can't argue with that reply.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I do remember a similar thread months ago, but I myself can't recall which one. I do recall mentioning that I found the CW flankers a little redundant to the consumer, IMO of course. The original is so distinctive and has quite a reputation already, its flankers just seem to dilute the novelty of CW, again IMO. Maybe its purely a marketing strategy to attract a wider consumer spectrum? I do agree with you that the flanker names are a little cheesy...
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=227455

I certainly agree it's a way to divert focus from an established product to a new one, while cleverly advertising both at the same time - "Cool Water Freshen Up? Sounds good. Man... Cool Water, that was nice. Maybe I ought to get another bottle of that stuff. I'll get both."

But... there must be a natural tipping point where there are so many, it just becomes confusing. The fact that there are even yearly editions of "updates" but without discontinuing previous ones (or maybe they just made too many and people couldn't shift them all, i'm not sure) make it even harder. "Did I like "2007" or "2008" etc. I mean without something like Basenotes it must be so difficult to even know where to start.
    This whole shebang came about from me getting an increased amount of enjoyment lately from my GIT sample - and i'm not reopening that debate - and me catching a whiff of someone wearing CW on a bus today. After shopping for pizza since that's the sort of rock 'n' roll stuff I do, I went to a local fragrance shop to have a sniff at CW and maybe a couple of the flankers and was overwhelmed. In the end, I gave up and came home.

I like to think of myself as a, y'know, sort of capable and moderately intelligent type, but trying some frags with an increasingly confusing gaggle of names, I felt like i was doing a crossword puzzle with no clues. Admittedly the SA gave me no help, but surely... Maybe i'll just get the original out of sheer laziness.

EDIT - Thanks for the link, SirSlarty!

Sorry for the long post!
    Last edited by JDE; 24th July 2009 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDE View Post
    The fact that there are even yearly editions of "updates" but without discontinuing previous ones (or maybe they just made too many and people couldn't shift them all, i'm not sure) make it even harder.
    I'm pretty sure they do discontinue previeous ones as the flanker releases are always just summer editions for one certain year and I'd be thankful if there were too many still around as I'm desperate to get my hands on 'energising cologne' which is still missing in my collection.

This being said I agree to the other posts.
    I think there are by far more summer versions of CK one and Eternity than Davidoff released Cool Waters.
    Additionally I find most of the flankers absolutely ownworthy (Freeze me as highly chemical smelling and Cool Summer as a 100% copy of Happy Summer being exceptions).

Dependent

Ah yes... thanks SS