Code of Conduct

Default CB I Hate Perfume

Anything bottle-worthy in this line?

Default Re: CB I Hate Perfume

Would you hire someone to cut your grass if he or she is from the I Hate Cutting Grass company?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I have tried many in this line, and posted reviews.
    So far, I have the impression of a very delicate, wispy line of scents. Most of them smell similar to me, with a kind of sweetish-synthetic note. I thought I would like several and yet am consistently underwhelmed. The IDEA of fresh, experience-based scents is great. The execution doesn't deliver on this concept, IMO.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I've tried the absolutes of: Gathering Apples, Eternal Return and November. Each of them were fairly good and much better quality than anything I've smelled from Demeter.

My favorite is Gathering Apples, as it smells exactly like a wooden basket of apples, freshly picked off the tree. Moreover, it smells exactly like my apple picking trip in elementary school. I'm this close to buying a FB of the water spray...

Eternal Return smells pretty darn close to how the ocean smells on a boat trip. I've smelled many ocean scents and this is the best one. Not quite something I feel like wearing but I love smelling it.

November smells a little like a pumpkin pie candle, but there's also supporting notes of burnt leaves and some other stuff. Enjoyable but not FBW in the absolute form. I feel like it would be better in the water perfumes, although I've never tried them. If you like pumpkin pie, then this might be FBW for you.

Each of CB's fragrances are pretty synthetic, but so far I haven't got a chemically vibe from any of them. The line is definitely worth sampling and checking out.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 19th July 2009 at 03:18 AM.

I've enjoyed the half dozen or so I've tried, especially Burning Leaves (which smells just like its name) and Wild Hunt (the most realistic forest scent I've ever experienced). But all of their scents that I've tried have had longevity problems. None have been FBW for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Would you hire someone to cut your grass if he or she is from the I Hate Cutting Grass company?
    LOL! Nice one...

Seriously though, I've come to love Mr. Hulot's Holiday (the water perfume). It's very subtle and it wasn't an immediate "wow" for me-- but it's different from anything else in my collection and very "un-perfumelike", hence the "I HATE PERFUME" thing. I had to give it a few full wearings to understand it.

The scent itself is like coming right out of the shower and stepping onto a quiet beach on a peaceful overcast day.

I've only tried the oilbased ones, but none live up to their promises. They are absolutely
    amazing for a whooping 35 minutes and after that all you get is mush. Don't know if the
    waterbased behaves differently.

I do enjoy Cumming though and would love to own a bottle. It has some problems, but I still
    like it.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Exactly. The one thing Chris Brosius can not be accused of is having misleading name for his line. Count me as NOT being a fan...

They are not designed to last long.

The philosophy of the creator is contrary to most all of the industry. He is certainly very talented, but if you are looking for longevity, look elsewhere.

The water perfumes provide better coverage and last several hours. I own Burning Leaves in both water perfume and absolute versions. It's one of my fall season favorites. Others I consider FBW: Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Patchouli Empire, Wild Hunt, Fire from Heaven, Smoky Tobacco, and Old Leather.

BTW the CB Manifesto explains what he hates about perfume.

Basenotes Institution

I love a handful of them. One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Black March. Amazing scent. It's like Dirt by Demeter but even more evocative and 'dirtier' if you can imagine such a thing.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th July 2009 at 07:29 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post

Each of CB's fragrances are pretty synthetic, but so far I haven't got a chemically vibe from any of them. The line is definitely worth sampling and checking out.
    I thought (not sure why) that CB... was all natural line?
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Didn't CB create Cumming ?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    I thought (not sure why) that CB... was all natural line?
    Oh no.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Didn't CB create Cumming ?
    Yes, and I can see a family resemblance there.
    Also he was involved in the early days of Demeter.

I like the descriptions of many of his scents, and the concepts/moments they are intended to evoke.
    But as I said, the execution in my experience so far has been a similar-smelling, sweetish crowd of scents. I often find a note of cold corncobs in his scents.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Wild Hunt has been on my "to acquire" list forever.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Hey guys,

I just tried Black March, Winter 1979 and Just Breathe. They're utterly disappointing and synthetic-smelling to say the least. I still stand strongly behind Gathering Apples, but I'm through with this line. It was promising at first, but now it's just a slightly better quality Demeter. Oh, Eternal Return is pretty good too, and November is OK, but the only FBW one is Gathering Apples, of the ones I've tried.

I'm still tempted to try Mr Hulo's Holiday and Cumming, since I trust Shift's opinion, but after that, I'm not gonna bother sampling these anymore.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 24th July 2009 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Oh no.
    My bad...

So is CB just over-priced and over-hyped 'Demeter'?
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Well, I say Demeter mostly tries to convey one-note items. Many of their scents smell somewhat like what they meant to suggest. Whether any of those notes grabs you is a matter of taste.
    The CB line tries to convey impressionistic memory moments of some complexity. There I haven't yet found anything really striking or compelling in its execution.
    odysseusm