Code of Conduct

Default Davidoff Adventure - it has gotta be olfactory fatigue.

I wore this again yesterday and I am baffled from the things I read and hear. Two sprays of this lasted over 16 hours on me. It gets *quite* woody with a fairly strong vetiver and cedar and what smells like sandalwood in the base, along with some musk and the remnants of a spicy pimento note.

The scent is faint and sort of ethereal in the way (the drydown of) TdH or the Les Nez scents or Bulgari Pour Homme tend to be. I only catch whiffs of it here and there rather than a constant nose assault typical of any Montale, but it's definitely present and strongly so for 6-8 hours.

I really don't understand how this can fade in < 1 hour as so many have claimed. The potency of the basenotes is intense - I just can't fathom them disappearing so quickly; it's as hard for me to imagine as the IFRA actually coming up with sensible restrictions.

So, my question is: Does anyone else get good or very good longevity from Adventure?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 26th July 2009 at 05:51 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Davidoff Adventure - it's gotta be olfactory fatigue.

I'm the only one?

Yay, i'm an anomaly!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm the only one?

Yay, i'm an anomaly!
    I had the chance to sample this last year and the bottle was going for cheap as well ( ~$20). Now, after your praise for this, I am regretting not sampling it.

I wore Davidoff Adventure to work about a week ago. After about 2 hours, I could no longer detect it on myself. But, at the end of an 8 hour work day, I had dinner with my boss that evening and she said the fragrance was very much "there", albeit subtlely so.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 26th July 2009 at 02:49 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I haven't tried Adventure on skin before but i'm impressed with the longevity SoS gets from most of his frags even with 2 sprays. Maybe he's got a highly sensitive sense of smell or perfect ph skin..maybe both.

SoS - How is the longevity and sillage of frags like Clinique Happy, ck one and ck be on you ?

I haven't tried Happy or Be in so long that I'm not sure, although I get really good longevity out of CK One. It's been a long time since I wore that, too, but I remember when I last did I could detect it all day long.

I've got a sample of it around here somewhere. I'll try it again soon and see just how long it lasts and sils for me.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I've found it to have average longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm the only one?

Yay, i'm an anomaly!
    Actually dude I've had the same experience with this smelly.. IDK why everyone says it lasts for 2 hours, that honor goes to Musc Ravageur. Which gives me less then a hour... pssh.. something is wrong with me for sure. lolz.
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Default Re: Davidoff Adventure - it has gotta be olfactory fatigue.

OK SoS, I'll play.....

Admittedly I have not had a FULL wearing of this scent but I have sampled it. Honestly, I got about 4 hours of decent "sniffing time" (i.e. the scent was relevant) from one spritz. This to me is indicative of some decent tenacity.

And, it's a pretty nice scent! Beats the $%^& outta all them CW flankers! (Zzzzzz..wake me when it's different)

Have fun!

You'd be surprised at how many scents that get knocked for having poor longevity here are really due to olfactory fatigue. I've sampled hundreds and hundreds hundreds of scents, and maybe three of them have truly poor longevity.

Same amazement here. Scents seem to last ages for me, with very little spraying. Good thing too, because I find almost any scent, no matter how delightful, repulsive in large quantities. So if it does that for me, but not for others, it has to be one of 4 solutions.
    1. I have an extraordinarily sharp sniffing apparatus. Flattering, but unlikely.
    2. The infamous skin chemistry/PH/oiliness/other personal factors. Can't argue with that, but can't prove it either. Seems like a cop-out.
    3. (Chronic) Overspraying, leading to burning out of the nose.
    4. Others having a very different standard for what defines "presence" of a scent, and having a much higher tolerance before they are overwhelmed. Partially related to solution 1.

Feel free to amend my hypothesis.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 26th July 2009 at 11:18 AM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Same amazement here. Scents seem to last ages for me, with very little spraying. Good thing too, because I find almost any scent, no matter how delightful, repulsive in large quantities. So if it does that for me, but not for others, it has to be one of 4 solutions.
    1. I have an extraordinarily sharp sniffing apparatus. Flattering, but unlikely.
    2. The infamous skin chemistry/PH/oiliness/other personal factors. Can't argue with that, but can't prove it either. Seems like a cop-out.
    3. (Chronic) Overspraying, leading to burning out of the nose.
    4. Others having a very different standard for what defines "presence" of a scent, and having a much higher tolerance before they are overwhelmed. Partially related to solution 1.

Feel free to amend my hypothesis.
    I have read somewhere that women have a better sense of smell compared to men. So your extraordinarily sharp sniffing apparatus might be true. However the burning out of a nose only happens IMHO when a person uses the same frag for 3 days straight.