Code of Conduct

Default Why wasn't Bertrand Duchaufou invited by Malle?

Supposedly Malle invites best of the best Parfumeurs to create Editions de Parfums, right? I look at the guest list and I see 4 Jean-Claud Ellena, this guy's really that good?

Personally his works mostly don't click with me: Terre d'Hermes I liked for only a short period of time. Declaration didn't nothing for me, Un Jardin après la Mousson is nice and that's it. I am not saying JCE is meh but that's 4 out of 15, come on, give someone else a chance!

By contrast, Bertrand Duchaufour look at the amazing list:

Jubilation XXV (2007)
    Dzongkha (2006)
    Mechant Loup (1997)
    Timbuktu (2004)
    Leaves: Calamus & Mint (2000)
    Red: Harissa & Sequoia (2001)
    Avignon &Kyoto (2002)

Does he deserve a spot in Malle?

Default Re: Why wasn't Bertrand Duchaufou invited by Malle?

I'm assuming his style of creations and usual use of notes didn't fit with what Frederic was/is looking for.

I always thought Malle chose his perfumers in a Survivor-like fashion.
    Mr. Duchaufou isn't the only great nose missing form the FM line-up, what about Richard Fraysse? Just kidding! But seriously, what about Yann Vasnier or Annick Menardo?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th July 2009 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDG View Post
    Supposedly Malle invites best of the best Parfumeurs to create Editions de Parfums, right? I look at the guest list and I see 4 Jean-Claud Ellena, this guy's really that good?

Personally his works mostly don't click with me: Terre d'Hermes I liked for only a short period of time. Declaration didn't nothing for me, Un Jardin après la Mousson is nice and that's it. I am not saying JCE is meh but that's 4 out of 15, come on, give someone else a chance!

By contrast, Bertrand Duchaufour look at the amazing list:

Jubilation XXV (2007)
    Dzongkha (2006)
    Mechant Loup (1997)
    Timbuktu (2004)
    Leaves: Calamus & Mint (2000)
    Red: Harissa & Sequoia (2001)
    Avignon &Kyoto (2002)

Does he deserve a spot in Malle?
    In view of that list, Malle may have the same hypersensitivity to Iso-e-Super I have
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    In view of that list, Malle may have the same hypersensitivity to Iso-e-Super I have
    My thoughts exactly.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Jean-Claud Ellena is that gud ) (with his Vetiver Extraordinaire) . I dont like TdH either.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Jean-Claud Ellena is that gud ) (with his Vetiver Extraordinaire) . I dont like TdH either.
    Ellena didn't do Vetiver Extraordinaire...Ropion did (so confusing keeping all of them straight!)

I think perhaps Malle chooses who he works with based on convenience and chance...the perfumers he knows personally...the perfumers they know...etc. etc. I think they also have to fit with his style. Obviously he has his fav's to work with, but it would be exciting to see what some other notable perfumers could achieve with his budget.

I believe Duchaufou had an exclusive contract with L'Artisan so that may explain it.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

Maybe he did ask Duchaufour and he said no?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I have to agree on the general sentiment with JCE, the vast majority of his works have not moved me, and his "transparent" style I find annoying. That being said, perhaps my favorite scent of all time, is a Frederic Malle and created by JCE, Angeliques sous la Pluie.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I believe Duchaufou had an exclusive contract with L'Artisan so that may explain it.
    He's their in-house perfumer, but I don't think it's an exclusive contract. He recently did all of those Eau d'Italie fragrances, too. It seems to me that his style has little in common with the Malle line as it exists so far, so there is probably a different sensibility at wok. Also, how many fragrances can the man create each year anyway? It seems like he's already pushing the limit.

I wonder if Frederic will add more noses to the list at some point. Of all of the creations in the Editions de Parfums collection, it's my opinion that JCE's are the least innovative.

As to why Mr. Duchaufour wasn't on the list - I have no clue, but some of the suggestions are interesting. I think everybody on the list has worked with Frederic in some capacity before the Editions de Parfums was conceptualized.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why wasn't Bertrand Duchaufour invited by Malle?

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I have to agree on the general sentiment with JCE, the vast majority of his works have not moved me, and his "transparent" style I find annoying. That being said, perhaps my favorite scent of all time, is a Frederic Malle and created by JCE, Angeliques sous la Pluie.
    I may disagree with you on JCE in general, being a fanboy of both the style and the works (and the goddess Iso E Super, too), but I will agree with you about Angeliques. Amazingly good!

However, I do agree that JCE is overrepresented. Annick Menardo or another Giacobetti? I'm on board with that sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I wonder if Frederic will add more noses to the list at some point. Of all of the creations in the Editions de Parfums collection, it's my opinion that JCE's are the least innovative.
    I agree. It seems like JCE saved his best work for The Different Company line (and, to a lesser extent, the Hermessences). Its just too much of a waste for Malle to allow JCE to release a fragrance and a flanker (Bigarade, and Cologne Bigarade) in such a high profile line.
    -

As to why Duchaufour wasn't invited? He's not the only one. I don't see Olivier Cresp, Albert Morillas, and other popular noses in his 'exclusive' list. They can surely replace someone like Ralf Schweiger and Michel Roudnitska. We have to realise that like all other companies, this 'only the best noses' thing is a marketing tool.
    Last edited by zztopp; 25th July 2009 at 09:29 PM.
    -

I say bring in Alberto Morillas and go for some crazy musk laden scent.

Better yet - bring LaPorte out of retirement to create his finest work yet, topping the likes of Ambre Precieux, Santal Noble, etc.

Well, I'd guess LaPorte's style doesn't really mesh with Malle. I'd think Morillas' style would fit though.

Regarding Duchaufour, I've only sniffed Timbuktu and Fleur de Liane. Are they fairly representative of his work?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'd love to see something from Christophe Laudamiel or Francis Kurkdijan.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I'd love to see something from Christophe Laudamiel or Francis Kurkdijan.
    Ditto on the Kurkdjian - he's my favorite nose. I have yet to smell one of his creations that I really don't like.
    Sales thread here

I agree with everything you've said - though bringing someone out of retirement might be difficult though lots of folks I know have retired and ended up going back to work out of sheer boredom.

Duchaufour's works:
    http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...and+duchaufour

My favorites from that list - Paestum Rose, Jubilation XXV, AdP Colonia Assoluta (with JCE), CdG Kyoto, and the L'Artisan fragrances he's created - which are probably some of the best - if not THE best of L'Artisan.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

Better yet - bring LaPorte out of retirement to create his finest work yet, topping the likes of Ambre Precieux, Santal Noble, etc.

Well, I'd guess LaPorte's style doesn't really mesh with Malle. I'd think Morillas' style would fit though.

Regarding Duchaufour, I've only sniffed Timbuktu and Fleur de Liane. Are they fairly representative of his work?

Absolutely - why is there a flanker in such a small collection? I never thought of this before. For Bois d'Orage they simply reformulated to 9% - but didn't create a concentree and leave the 7% on the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I agree. It seems like JCE saved his best work for The Different Company line (and, to a lesser extent, the Hermessences). Its just too much of a waste for Malle to allow JCE to release a fragrance and a flanker (Bigarade, and Cologne Bigarade) in such a high profile line.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

Yea for the idea of bringing Jean Laporte out of retirement! I agree, though, that the Malle collection is not really his venue.