Code of Conduct

Default Struggling with the Bonds- Brooklyn vs. Bleecker St.

I recently received New Haarlem by Bond no 9 as a gift. At first, I was blown away by its initial top notes; the beautiful smokiness combined with the sweetness. But after a few wearings, I am finding it is just too much of a gourmand to me and very hard to wear in most settings. So I don't think I will keep it. I also tested Brooklyn which also has a beautiful smoky opening and a generally pleasant drydown. But I'm not sure if it should be my first Bond acquistion. This has brought me to Basenotes and it hasn't received much praise as compared to Bleecker St. which some senior members have made powerful proclamations of. I did spray it once on my wrist, but I had also sprayed other Bonds the last time I was at their counter so it didn't leave much of an impression on me. I know I will have to try both side by side, but I would love general feedback on both these scents. Although I was overwhelmed with New Haarlem's syrupiness, I generally tend to gravitate towards stronger scents. So I'm wondering which of these two , Brooklyn and Bleecker, have more sillage and longevity power. I also own and love Creed's Original Vetiver, so I"m wondering how does Bleecker really compare and relate to it. Thank you.

Default Re: Struggling with the Bonds- Brooklyn vs. Bleecker St.

hello
    Personally
    I think bleecker is way overrated
    my fav from the bonds I have tried is Riverside Drive
    smells special
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Bleecker STREET!!!!!!!
    Haven't tried Brooklyn though. Bleecker has average to above average sillage and surreal longevity. Try it by itself, then make a decision.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Brooklyn sucks, i could name 5 better ones.

With Bleecker included in the 5

Blog Entries

Your perceptions of the scent are on target. And you are correct that most people here perceive New Haarlem as the better scent. I would agree with that. But now you have to be honest with yourself about what you like and don't like.

I like New Haarlem's scent, but it's a bit strong for me, and seems to drift away from what I like as it develops. Among similarly strong scents, I find that I have to really like the full development of the scent, or I will be disappointed. Overall, and particularly among coffee gourmand scents, I liked Thierry Mugler Pure Coffee much better, from top to bottom, so I bought that, and am very happy.

Brooklyn is a bit weak for me. Sillage? Negatory. It took me a while for my nose to "zero in" on the scent, to where I could even smell it on my skin after more than a couple of hours. But now that I can, I find it pleasant, and with sufficient staying power. Admittedly, I have to spray it on rather heavily. It's light - almost like a cologne. I do like SOME light fragrances, as long as I can refresh them periodically during the day. And I really like the woody grapefruit scent of Brooklyn. It is simply very pleasing to me, and fits a nice spot in my wardrobe. It's sort of like my cologne version of Terre d'Hermes, of which I'm a HUGE fan. So THAT is what I bottled on.

I would not buy Brooklyn until you've tested it at least once, preferably more. Especially if you're looking for sillage and longevity.

And I'll agree - Riverside Drive is awesome. And strong, too. Could be a winner for you.

So is the consensus that Bleecker is a stronger and fuller than Brooklyn?

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    hello
    Personally
    I think bleecker is way overrated
    my fav from the bonds I have tried is Riverside Drive
    smells special
    Ill second this, especially about Riverside Drive. But if I had to choose between bleeker or brooklyn, I might go with brooklyn. You dont need mega sillage to make an impression, and you can always spray once more if its an issue. Plus, brooklyn has some citrus elements which I always appreciate.

I own one and have smelled the other. Bleeker wins for me!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

How would Riverside compare to the two mentioned Bonds?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    So is the consensus that Bleecker is a stronger and fuller than Brooklyn?
    Yes, stronger and fuller. Not nearly as much as New Haarlem, IMO, but definitely more than Brooklyn. I may eventually buy Bleecker, but I just prefer Brooklyn's light wood and citrus. Bleecker's scent stands out more, but Brooklyn's seems more natural (more being a very relative term! )

I'm sniffing them right now. I've gotta say, Bleecker Street is damn nice. A little more distinctive and noticeable, like Riverside Drive. Has some very prominent strong citrus and slightly spicy notes. But I'm not sure I'd like smelling it all day and all night, whereas I know for a fact that I can wear Brooklyn 24/3 and not get sick of it, because it's just such a laid back scent.

Blog Entries

Riverside is described by Luca Turin as "leaf zilla". It's a green scent that's like cicadas in a tree playing so loud they turn into mad organ music. People love it, too. But I'll be honest - I cannot wear it more than one day in a row, and then I'm burned on it for a month or so. It's powerful and good. Excellent sillage. I bought it after the first sniff on a recommendation by acceptfacts. Every time I wear it I fall in love with it again.

So, stronger than both Bleecker and Brooklyn. Better sillage and longevity than either, IMO. Gets compliments noooo problem. But it's almost too much of a good thing, if that makes any sense.