Code of Conduct

Default How is Ambre Extreme?

I am looking for an amber scent to buy soon, my local niche shop has about 25 L'Artisans but not the Ambre Extreme. I've tried MPG and L'eau D'Ambre and both are too soft for me. I like more harsh and less sweet ambers. On the Ambre Soie reviews I read that AE is not very sweet by someone and too sweet to another, how is it to you guys? What is the closest amber to it? I've tried Ambre Sultan, MPG, L'eau D'ambre, Ambre Soie, and Ambre Russe.

Default Re: How is Ambre Extreme?

To me, it was sweet, but pleasant. Somehow it didn't step over the line of obnoxiously sweet.

If you are looking for a non-sweet amber, consider Ambre 114 by Histoire de Parfums.

You have to try Histoires de Parfums "Ambre 114" ... I think it is easily the best, and most masculine amber of them all. It's an absolutely magnificent amber !
    (My second favorite after 114, is Tom Ford's Amber Absolute, which is a wonderful "incense-y" and ever so slightly animalic rich amber).

As for Ambre Soir, I actually did not find it ambery enough, to completely satisfy my amber lust. ... I found it had far too much licorice (and an odd disturbing "buttery" note too) and not enough of what makes an amber an amber, for me ! (If you know what I mean by that ???) I was ultimately unfortunately quite disappointed with it ! (It's an ok frag, just not as an amber frag).

As for AExtreme, it is a "harsher" amber, but also most certainly a quite sweet fragrance. ... Ambre 114 is much less sweet, and also much more "masculine". ... Actually, another that is also not as sweet, and also a fantastic amber is Montales Blue Amber ! ...
    I say these are two (3?) "must samples" for anyone looking for a more "masculine" amber frag !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 19th July 2009 at 11:34 AM.

To my nose, Ambre Extreme is pretty much just a much stronger version of L'eau D'Ambre.
    Renato

Ah I just got a good deal on AE for $50 shipped 1.7. I'll give it a blind shot, just hope it satisfies my amber needs.

That's a good price all right. I was going to stick my nose in here and say I've got both Eau d'Ambre and Ambre Extreme and like both, especially the Eau d'Ambre. Ambre Extreme is beautifully smokey I think, and dense and close to the skin.

Both are great stuff. It'll be hard to regret your purchase, Rinosaur. Fill us in on it when you're wearing it.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    To my nose, Ambre Extreme is pretty much just a much stronger version of L'eau D'Ambre.
    Renato
    I agree. I don't find Ambre Extreme to be very "extreme" though - it is too tame for my tastes.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    That's a good price all right. I was going to stick my nose in here and say I've got both Eau d'Ambre and Ambre Extreme and like both, especially the Eau d'Ambre. Ambre Extreme is beautifully smokey I think, and dense and close to the skin.

Both are great stuff. It'll be hard to regret your purchase, Rinosaur. Fill us in on it when you're wearing it.
    --Chris
    Will do.

I see you've tested Ambre Russe. I'm keen to know your thoughts on it.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

You might also like to try Ambre Fetiche by Goutal.

Ambre Russe was very smooth, boozy, and slightly spicy. I did like it alot actually but I thought it was a bit too feminine. Out of the ones I've tried, I like AS and Russe the best. I do look forward to trying Goutal's ambre as well.
    Last edited by rinosaur; 20th July 2009 at 12:13 AM.

Off-Scenter

Whatever it is, it's certainly not extreme. I find it to be a relatively bland, generic amber, entirely lacking in the kind of grit and character that distinguish say, Ambre Sultan, which is, along with the perhaps endangered Ambre Precieux one of my favorite amber scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Renato
    Concur

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    You might also like to try Ambre Fetiche by Goutal.
    I was just about to say that

What varied reactions there are to this fragrance! I think of Ambre Extreme as being amber "straight up" -- just plain amber, and very nicely done. It's my third favorite amber so far, after Ambre Precieux and Blue Amber. I find it less sweet than those two, by the way. And I don't like L'Eau d'Ambre at all. It was thin and unappealing to my nose.

+1

I wasn't impressed with how powder-heavy Ambre Extreme or L'Eau d'Ambre were - especially the latter, which was unbearable to me. Cloying and powdery..

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Whatever it is, it's certainly not extreme. I find it to be a relatively bland, generic amber, entirely lacking in the kind of grit and character that distinguish say, Ambre Sultan, which is, along with the perhaps endangered Ambre Precieux one of my favorite amber scents.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    What varied reactions there are to this fragrance! I think of Ambre Extreme as being amber "straight up" -- just plain amber, and very nicely done.
    Objective review, IMO, along with scentsitivity's in that it stops just short of becoming cloying.

Sillage is moderate, but gets amp-ed up by heat (i live in the equatorial tropics). Longevity is very good, 10+ hours on my skin.

My fave amber is the animalic Amber Absolute by Tom Ford. Ambre Extreme is however very good value for its price.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by rinosaur View Post
    What is the closest amber to it? I've tried Ambre Sultan, MPG, L'eau D'ambre, Ambre Soie, and Ambre Russe.
    I would say MPG Ambre Précieux.

SL Ambre Sultan has a resinous, "burning" quality, but Ambre Précieux and Ambre Extrême are both on the soft, sweetish side.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I find Ambre Extreme to be very similar to Blue Amber by Montale.
    Both are really great ambers in my book.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Well I finally got my bottle. I'm sad to say but I was a bit disappointed by the notorious "Playdoh" note in here, it dies down after 2 hours but it still lingers around. Also it was a bit too powdery as well. Anyways thanks for the replies, I'm still on the hunt :P

Sorry to hear that "Rino" . ... That "playdoh" note kinda bothered me too, though it did finally end up not bothering me quite so much, after a while. ... And if "playdoh" note is an issue, then I would steer clear of Goutal's - Ambre Fetiche too ! ... Which has it in an even much more pronounced way !

Ambre 114 (Histoires de Parfums) is an absolute must , I tell ya ! ...
    And particularly/especially if you either do not mind, or are quite partial, to a little "geranium" in your amber ! .... Though quite a few people don't even pick that note up, at all , in "114". ... Though it's most definitely there !)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 26th July 2009 at 04:45 AM.