Code of Conduct

Default Is acqua di parma a young scent?

Would Acqua di Parma (intensa or colonia) smell out of place on a 20 something year old man? It sounds like the scent that I am looking for although I haven't been able to find it at Nordstrom's to smell it for myself.

I am looking for something fresh and understated, any recommendations?

So far I am considering:

AdP colonia or intensa
    Lacoste essential
    Davidoff cool water
    Creed GIT
    Bulgari Aqva

Default Re: Is acqua di parma a young scent?

AdP Colonia would be a bad fit for a young person the same way a Zegna suit would i.e. if it's not worn well or with any confidence. Colonia Assoluta has a more casual character than Colonia or Intensa if you find them too formal.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post
    Would Acqua di Parma (intensa or colonia) smell out of place on a 20 something year old man?...
    No.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 27th July 2009 at 02:21 AM.

Colonia Intensa (my favorite scent at the moment) would work at just about any post 20 age. This one shines about 15 minutes into the experience. It has a cedar meets leather drydown which smells great (IMHO). There is nothing sweet about this scent. It's understated, but not what you'd call "fresh". The original ADP is also beautiful but not very long lasting.

GIT is fresh smelling.

Lacoste Essential is fresh, but very one dimensional. Lasts a long time, but not a favorite. I would call it a young scent.

Cool Water is fresh

Get some samples of the ADP Colonia variations from Http://theperfumedcourt.com . No need to get more than a 1.5ml spray sample. You'll know pretty quickly if you like this one.

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...dPIntensa.aspx
    http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...AASSOLUTA.aspx
    http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...dPColonia.aspx
    Last edited by adonis; 27th July 2009 at 02:33 AM.

Try it! Colonia is certainly a gentleman's eau de cologne style fragrance, an austere citrus with a lovely, dry rose note. And so it's the sort of thing that one associates with well-dressed mature men but that doesn't mean you wouldn't find it a good fit and a great pleasure to wear.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 27th July 2009 at 02:19 AM.

SmellChaser
    Blog Entries

I certainly 20 year old man could easily wear Colonia. It is a wonderful scent. In fact, one of my absolute favorites.

It's a stuffy citrus. A 20 year old possibly could wear it, but I wouldn't think many could pull it off. There's a stuffy note, something that kind of reminds me of musty attics or closets, in the scent and it never really did much for me. The top notes are nice but the dry down is not nearly as good. It all depends on the person and the vibe you're looking to project I guess but I wouldn't think it would be what the typical 20 year old would want to wear. The Colonia would probably work better I would think.

I Love Colonia and Assoluta.....I feel that these are Great scents.....The age question is always a tough one for me.....What's young? What's old? If I like it.....I buy it and wear it.....Gary

Thanks for the input, I am not sure if AdP is what I am looking for but I am going to order some samples and give it a shot.

Any other recommendations for a fresh and understated cologne?

For what its worth, I already own Issey Miyake (smells good, but not understated enough imo), Nautica Voyage (fresh but to synthetic smelling to me), and Chanel Platinum Egoiste (more of a heavier winter scent, I suppose?).

The only question is -- do you like it? Does it smell good on you, to you?
    Forget about age or even gender. Those are all constructs of marketing.
    Don't get stuck in anyone's box!
    Try with an open mind, and wear whatever you like!!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Any other recommendations for a fresh and understated cologne?
    Prada - Infusion d'Homme
    Annick Goutal - Eau d'Hadrien, Mandragore
    Fresh - Bergamot Citrus, or Hesperides
    Azzaro - Pure Cedrat

Gendarme EDP is very fresh and understated. I've seen Gendarme at Nordstrom, Bloomingdales and Sephora
    Last edited by adonis; 27th July 2009 at 05:52 AM.

Colonia, Absoluta, and Intensa are all great scents. My favorite out of the bunch is Inensa.

I think it's a classic scent that is appropriate for any age.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    It's a stuffy citrus. A 20 year old possibly could wear it, but I wouldn't think many could pull it off. There's a stuffy note, something that kind of reminds me of musty attics or closets, in the scent and it never really did much for me. The top notes are nice but the dry down is not nearly as good. It all depends on the person and the vibe you're looking to project I guess but I wouldn't think it would be what the typical 20 year old would want to wear. The Colonia would probably work better I would think.
    I'm with Paul G on this one, but I think he meant Assoluta in the last sentence.

I think it's great. I know several people in their 20s (including myself) who wear / have worn it with great success.

Just because you're younger, doesn't mean you need some lame designer aquatic. Go with what YOU like.

I also think that ADP is great irrespective of the wearer's age.

I was born in the 50's and at times I felt it was too stuffy for me! Maybe because I associated it with my Grandmother's house (must have had uncles who wore it). GIT might be a better fit. If you haven't already, give it a test.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    I'm with Paul G on this one, but I think he meant Assoluta in the last sentence.
    You're correct on that

Would Acqua di Parma (intensa or colonia) smell out of place on a 20 something year old man?
    Yes

Sur la Plage

I would recommend trying Colonia Intensa.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Why exclude Assoluta?

Try out some samples first....you might also want to try Creed MI, or Himalaya

Dependent

Would Acqua di Parma (intensa or colonia) smell out of place on a 20 something year old man?
    No. I'm in my 20s and love colonia and colonia intensa

SmellChaser
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    Why exclude Assoluta?
    In my view, all three of these are "must try". They are all sufficiently different, that it is conceivable that someone could like all, any two, any one, or none. For me, I love Colonia, like Assoluta and don't like Intensa. To each their own!
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 27th July 2009 at 03:53 PM.

SmellChaser
    Blog Entries

Another comment: I have a 17 year old son who has developed an interest in fragrance. His tastes are all over the map. He likes scents like Antidote, Creed's Bois du Portugal, U by Ungaro and Lacoste Essential. As I said, his tastes are all over the map, but whatever he wears he wears with confidence. I can't fault him for that! His opinion on AdP Colonia: smells great and has high quality.

I don't subscribe to the school of thought that all fragrances suit all people as long as they like them (there are plenty of fragrances that I like but I realize don't suit me), I have to say that ADP Colonia would be an excellent choice for a young man. It isn't anything like the popular designer fragrances that are marketed to the college-age crowd, but it is a light, cheerful and extremely elegant fragrance that will definitely make you stand out in a good way. Don't be surprised if other people come up to you and tell you that you have good taste. It's a very sophisticated scent. Wear it with confidence.

AdP Colonia is heaven sent. If it fits you and your lifestyle then age makes no difference.