Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, August 1, 2009 ★★★ Fresh Frags

Hermes Eau de Merveilles

Notes: elemi, bitter orange, Italian lemon, Indonesian pepper, pink pepper, ambergris accord, oak, cedar, vetiver, balsam of Peru and tears of Siam (from NowSmellThis.com)

I have read that Eau de Merveilles is supposed to have been inspired by ambergris, and with that in mind, thought it would probably be a little "beachy", as in salt and sun on skin. In the opening, I smell orange, cedar, patchouli, tea, and a strange antiseptic note that reminds me very much of Lysol spray, in the original "good for your health, germ killing" scent. To be more precise, the antiseptic note smells like a cross between sage and iodine, but in the context of the rest of the fragrance, is softened and bolstered by other notes that allow it to give a leathery impression. It is a real stretch to imagine EdM as anything close to what ambergris really is, and in fact, it smells nothing like the real thing. However, on a warm day like today, once the weird woody, medicinal, leathery strangeness subsides, the lingering base does smell a bit like ambergris--salty, a tiny bit sweet and with a bitter edge that is a tad like bile. Too bad there is also a sort of shampoo smell in the drydown. On the whole, EdM was far more gourmand than I expected--the cedar, patchouli and sage/iodine accord is quite masculine, with an effect very similar to Angel and its ilk. I give EdM some points for the unusual opening accord, but find that ultimate gourmand weirdness is better satisfied by Tom Ford's Black Orchid. Having said that, I am enjoying EdM today, and find it to be an acceptable warm weather scent, appropriate for both men and women.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, August 1, 2009 ★★★ Fresh Frags

Hmmmmm.

I'm having trouble finding a fragrance.

I was thinking Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint (as if I don't already talk about that one enough), but one of the things that makes that one so interesting to me is this odd little buttery foodlike note that, IMO, makes it not utterly in the "fresh" category.

Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale? It's bright and sparkly and gingery. But gingery is more of a bright fiery sparkle than a cold wet one, right? Like 4th of July sparklers, instead of like a fountain.

Le Labo Jasmin 17 is bright and liquid, but it's got an intensity of flavor, like sour lemonade that you're enjoying, but then you're pleased when some of the ice melts and you realize that the lemon was getting just a little too intense. So that seems somehow counter-fresh.

Parfumerie Generale L'Eau Rare Matale. Water and tea and minerals. A scent that smells the way that perfectly clean light-filled water splashing on gritty rocks looks. Hmmm. OK, I'd go with L'Eeau Rare Matale, but I don't have any right now! I packed it for a trip and left it elsewhere; long story.

OK: Fresh Hesperides. Ice cold grapefruit, un-soured just enough that you don't have that please-melt-the-ice-faster thing. A scent that you could gulp down by the glass if it were a drink, or dive into if it were a pool. It's the one that I keep in the fridge for really, really hot days, so I guess it's the one.

Crayfish

Edited to add: Well, hmph. After several hours in Fresh Hesperides, I've discovered: I don't seem to like it any more. A couple of months ago I got a really 'synthetic' feel from my other bottle, but I figured that was the badly stored bottle. Now I'm getting it from this, better stored bottle.

I've worn it happily a couple of times in between those two instances, but this time I disliked it to the point of scrubbing it off. It's starting to look like I may end up giving away two bottles of the stuff.

Hmph.
    Last edited by Crayfish; 3rd August 2009 at 02:02 AM.

A bleu <3 is a happy <3

I didn't have time yesterday to post here, we had a family get-together that took up my whole day.

I don't really have a lot of fresh or aquatic scents in my collection. OK, probably none actually. A good friend sent me a decant of Beth Terry Creative Universe Mare, so I ended up being scent-twins with petruccijc today by wearing that.

It smells like sea salt and clean breezes to me. I like it except for its longevity. It was gone much too soon. Many of you were wearing interesting sounding scents yesterday ... I will have to check some of them out. My collection could use a nice sea-themed scent.
    I've trademarked the color bleu
    Currently wearing: Ostara by Penhaligon's

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    OhBoyOhBoy!! :bounce: My favert! (As I say for every SnS)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Yup, I love SnS weekends just so I can hear you say that! Love ya, Taolady!
    Me, too. It's like hearing the theme song to a favorite TV show.

Well, nothing new at our state's most-fragrant mall yesterday. I give up on shopping in-state.

This morning I rummaged through my samples of things fresh, green, or citrus; lingered over Cucumber Baie and veered away; landed on Bel Respiro.

Bel Respiro is not so much fresh and cool as it is, for me, an unemotional fragrance. So it's cold in the not-too-worked-up sense, and oftentimes I don't want a scent to make my mood for me.

As Chaya says, eaus/eaux qualify this category. Mental note: Sample more of 'em.
    Last edited by Quarry; 2nd August 2009 at 04:51 PM.
    Surrender to Denver Basenotes Meet-Up 💜 April 8 💙 Special guests Patty White & Dawn Spencer Hurwitz 💚 CLICK HERE

Totally busy this past weekend but did go with fresh on Saturday, wearing O de Lancome.

Blog Entries

I ended up in a "fresh" scent today-- Occhi Verdi Fleur de Batik from a sample. This came to me from an overseas swap. I did a google search that yielded 27 hits, none in English (unless you count Ebay in Singapore). It appears to be a drugstore scent in mainland Europe.

To me, it smells like shampoo. Not soap or dryer sheet, but definitely a slightly sweet, floral shampoo. Maybe Jhirmack, but I haven't smelled Jhirmack in decades. I can't even begin to describe notes, but I'm pretty sure there's rose and lily of the valley, maybe freesia or jasmine, plus some juicy fruit like mandarin. You'd think I'd be better at this by now! I'd say this is a young girl's perfume. Something for someone in her tweens or thereabouts. It's bright and pretty and considering how cheap it is overseas I'm a little surprised I've never heard of this line before. Anyway, it was a nice, FRESH surprise test wearing for this hot, summer day.

On the actual day of the SnS I wore Mugler Cologne, the ultimate Fresh Scent, imo. I find it both energizing and cooling with the lemon/lime citrus and the "still damp from the shower" soapiness. A very Refreshing Scent is perhaps what I mean to say.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

FINALLY!!! *tearing open my newly arrived package and spritzing with abandon* This is much greener-citrusy-fresh than the lotus-aquatic-fresh I remembered... odd I was so far off, but it is exceptionally lovely.

Memories of rowing out across the lake to the thick patch of waterlilies... they clumped together so thick that your oar could get caught in the leathery stems. Dewy white blooms never smelled quite so floral as the "waterlily" synthetic in perfumes, but they had lighter, less flashy scent... I catch traces of it here, which must be the lotus flowers. Nevertheless, the boldest note is the green mango, and I'd compare it to Kumquat's hedge apple. That sharp citrus green blends just beautifully with the prominent grapefruit. I'm a bit disappointed that the incense and sycamore wood didn't linger past the topnotes. They were too faint to be noticed at any point, along with the aromatic rushes... there isn't any drydown to speak of.

Fleetingly lovely... less than 45 minutes on my skin, but on clothes I've gotten several hours so far. Seems odd to spritz post-dressing, but I'll cheat however I can to keep this on longer. Had I paid full price, I may have been miffed that it didn't change, didn't last, and didn't have the complexity its intriguing note list promised. But for the deal I got, its a perfectly stunning, straightforward, pick-me-up.

And the bottle's just gaaawwwgeous!!
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3