Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, August 1, 2009 ★★★ Fresh Frags

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance -or- Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Oriental Feb. 2007~Animalic March 2007~Chypre April 2007~ Floral May 2007~Fruity June 2007~ Citrus Sept. 2007~Fougere Oct. 2007~ Amber Nov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ Gourmand Jan. 2008~Oriental Feb. 2008~Animalic March 2008~Chypre April 2008~Floral May 2008~Fruity June 2008~Citrus July 2008~Green Aug. 2008~Fresh/Aquatic Sept. 2008~Opposite Gender or Fougere Oct. 2008 ~ Amber Nov. 2008 ~ Spicy Dec. 2008 ~ Gourmand Jan. 2009 ~ Oriental Feb. 2009 ~ Animalic March 2009 ~ Chypre April 2009 ~ Floral May 2009 ~ Fruity June 2009 ~ Citrus July 2009 ~ Greens

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, August 1, 2009 ★★★ Fresh Frags

OhBoyOhBoy!! :bounce: My favert! (As I say for every SnS)

I can do ALL of my seaside scents....Brezza di Mare...Salt Air...REM (thanks Carlita!) nd I think somebody sent me one of the CBIHPs....maybe Mr. Hulot??
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, August 1, 2009 ★★★ Fresh Frags

Okie dokie. I'm in!

I'll have a go sounds like FUN I'm going to look to see what I can wear tomorrow!

Hm. I wonder....My L'Eau par Kenzo qualifies, but I wonder if my fruitilicious vintage Juba oil qualifies....It's been a long time since I've given that one a spin....
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    OhBoyOhBoy!! :bounce: My favert! (As I say for every SnS)...
    Yup, I love SnS weekends just so I can hear you say that! Love ya, Taolady!

What qualifies as fresh? you mean either like oceany type fresh or like soapy fresh? I think I have one for each of those!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dani California View Post
    What qualifies as fresh? you mean either like oceany type fresh or like soapy fresh? I think I have one for each of those!
    If it feels fresh to you--it's fresh! I like learning how each person perceives a category.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    If it feels fresh to you--it's fresh! I like learning how each person perceives a category.
    Excellent, thank you Quarry! I shall dig out my couple of fragrances I could wear, as I have a couple of ideas.

Ooooh! A bit of a challenge for me as this is a category I usually steer clear of. Which makes it all the more fun.
    My L'Eau de Kenzo would be perfect though - I bought it because the topnotes smell exactly like fresh-cut grass to me. Ooh, or there's my YR Neonatura Souffle, which is beachy fresh. Hmm...
    I think I"m more in the mood for the Neonatura Souffle.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I've chosen Crazy Libellule and the Poppies Presque Nu today. It was sent to me as a gift, but it's become my favorite scent for the gym and anything athletic. It's a light floral with a strong white musk base. Very clean white musks. I don't usually go for the clean laundry smell at all, but this one is perfect for early morning runs and hard workouts. Stays close enough to the skin that I smell it, but the people around me probably won't freak out like the folk at that call center!

The freshest scent I own is EAU DE ROCHAS. I love this on a hot summer's day.
    The citrussy opening is just so uplifting and classy - verbena, grapefuit and mandarin.
    It transports me to the South of France in an instant and really does hint at the tangy smell of
    rock pools.
    This is my favourite stage of the three, the middle hinting at patchouli with wild rose
    and narcissus.and the drydown featuring sandalwood, cinnamon and amber.
    I also use the body lotion and find that this makes the rather fleeting eau de toilette
    last that little bit longer. This is my summer scent of choice and has more of a bite to it
    than "O" de Lancome or Escale a Portofino, which I also use in the warmer months.

I'm in EL PC JWM- because it is EXTREMELY dewy.
    Amouage Refelect ions Women would be a good choice, too- very watery- or Un Jardin Sur la Nil...

Most 'eaus' would fit the bill

CdG Synthetic : SKAI today. It's fresh to me!

As always, this is a difficult category for me.

I have only two aquatics (Set Sail St. Barts and Subtil Pour Homme) and didn't want to wear either of them.

My favorite category is Dry Woods, so I went with a fresh leather scent:

Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir
    by Christian Dior

Top notes: Sicilian Lemon
    Middle notes: Hedione, Aromatic Herbs, Cedar
    Base notes: Chypre Accord, Ambry Leather

Last edited by TwoRoads; 1st August 2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

" top notes of Sea Salt and Bergamot from the Calabrian coast. Freshly picked lemons and limes from the seaside cliffs of Sicily are touched with a whisper of watermelon ..." (Beauty Habit) overlaid with a dash of Demeter Salt Air.

For starters!!

(Love you more Haunani!!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Sur la Plage

I am going with Beth Terry Creative Universe Mare.

Notes include sea salt, avocado, and ginger lily.

Last edited by petruccijc; 1st August 2009 at 12:02 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

My choice for today is the beautiful Sogni del Mare by Antonia's Flowers. The fragrance is based on "living by and dreaming of the sea". "A watery, fruity, floral with notes of Italian bergamot, cassis buds, wild rhubarb, orange and lotus." Quotes are from http://www.antoniasflowers.com/sogni.asp

Lovely fragrance, reasonably priced, long lasting.

My SotD is Profumum's Acqua di Sale!

Notes are: aroma of salt on the skin, myrtle, cedarwood, marine algae (per LuckyScent)
    I love this in the heat of summer, it makes me feel cooler just to smell it. It took me a bit to get past the first impression of this scent, a medicinal blast that is truly not pleasant. But oh, in a few minutes... this hovers on my skin and brings a smile to my face with each sniff. The dry down is a marvelous medley of maritime magnificence.

And now I have reached my daily alliteration quota!

For me the options are limited, fews marines in my collection. But loving a bargain as I do I recently purchased Lilly Pulitzer's Beachy:

Beachy opens with notes of sliced watermelon, sunny citrus, and marine air accord. The heart enchants with jasmine blossom, tiare flower, and lush frangipani. The sun sets on the fragrance with a blend of seas crystals, golden amber and sweet vanilla. (From her website)

Surprisingly pretty the citrus and marine air keep it salty and cool while the florals make it much more me!

This might be my favorite category.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Off to attend the last of three celebrations (daughter and her BF having the same birthday may as well be a national holiday), then to the mall. Will report back later. Hope to try the new Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Exotic.

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    This might be my favorite category.
    Well, if it includes aquatic/watery florals and fragrances that smell like the ocean, this category is at the top of my list, too!

Today I am wearing il Profumo Aria di Mare. A while back, I tested several "marine" fragrances and this emerged as my favorite of the group. Not only do I like the name, "Song of the Sea", but the fragrance seems more natural than many of its ilk. The listed notes (Luckyscent) are ocean notes, bamboo stalk, java tea leaves, floral herbaceous notes, sweet water mint, yellow wild broom, acacia flowers, sand white lily, yellow rose, tiare, and musk. In my opinion, this fragrance is a prettily balanced blend of soft ocean, floral, and herbaceous notes; one of those fragrances that feels "just right" on my skin!

Wasn't sure which way to go for this, either fresh and clean smelling or oceany smelling......so this time went with oceany smelling and have been wearing Nicole Fahri Bleu Azur my only oceany one.

not my fave category

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    For me the options are limited, fews marines in my collection. But loving a bargain as I do I recently purchased Lilly Pulitzer's Beachy:

Beachy opens with notes of sliced watermelon, sunny citrus, and marine air accord. The heart enchants with jasmine blossom, tiare flower, and lush frangipani. The sun sets on the fragrance with a blend of seas crystals, golden amber and sweet vanilla. (From her website)

Surprisingly pretty the citrus and marine air keep it salty and cool while the florals make it much more me!
    IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT.

I had to go and get some.

For me it's not so much about the ozones or marines, but the citrus and light florals. Though, I was very taken with Heeley's Sal Marin.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Blog Entries

I'm wearing DL & co.Thornapple it is a fresh green apple scent with moderate projection. This one would be great if you have a craving for that fresh springtime smell of green hedge apples and goose berries. It's tart and sweet at the same time. http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...orn_apple.html

applewood, vetiver, oakmoss, patchouli
    Last edited by kumquat; 1st August 2009 at 06:53 PM.

Started out this morning with Coty's Aspen for Women The only notes I've been able to find anywhere for this are "marine and aquatic" That is pretty much what I got with perhaps a light floral in there as well.

After much running around switching to Holy Water from La Via del Profumo
    sandalwood, incense, rose, and orange blossom
    This is a wonderful scent when I am getting a bit too frazzled.

I am wearing Olivier Durbano's Turquoise. I would have never picked this up even as a sample, but Luckyscent sent one with my latest purchase of their teas. (I love Luckyscent)

It is exactly as Dimitri describes it in his blog. I would not make it justice, so go an read Dimitri's review.
    Evenstar

I don't really have anything strictly in this category. So yesterday I bought a mini of Davidoff Cool Water Woman at the drugstore. And I tried it. Egads! Guess I took August SnS a bit too literally. But I had never tried Cool Water and wanted to see what it was like anyway. It was very pungent and smelled like Coast Soap, or Irish Spring soap. I thought it smelled quite masculine. I could barely tolerate it - and I can tolerate almost any fragrance. Eventually, it dried down and became less astringent but by then it was just boring. It still has its fans, though, who say that it smells better on some than on others. I like the bottle because I love blue bottles.

Today, I'm wearing Lanvin's Rumeur...which I find dry and cool because of its aldehydes. I get almost no moisture in this scent. It's classfied as a floral woody fragrance, and it's working well for me in the hot & humid weather. I find it airy and fresh. If I hadn't worn this it would have been Estee Lauder's Pure White Linen, with its crispness and its "cool fresh air accord" that is listed in the EL descriptive notes.

Hermes Eau de Merveilles

Notes: elemi, bitter orange, Italian lemon, Indonesian pepper, pink pepper, ambergris accord, oak, cedar, vetiver, balsam of Peru and tears of Siam (from NowSmellThis.com)

I have read that Eau de Merveilles is supposed to have been inspired by ambergris, and with that in mind, thought it would probably be a little "beachy", as in salt and sun on skin. In the opening, I smell orange, cedar, patchouli, tea, and a strange antiseptic note that reminds me very much of Lysol spray, in the original "good for your health, germ killing" scent. To be more precise, the antiseptic note smells like a cross between sage and iodine, but in the context of the rest of the fragrance, is softened and bolstered by other notes that allow it to give a leathery impression. It is a real stretch to imagine EdM as anything close to what ambergris really is, and in fact, it smells nothing like the real thing. However, on a warm day like today, once the weird woody, medicinal, leathery strangeness subsides, the lingering base does smell a bit like ambergris--salty, a tiny bit sweet and with a bitter edge that is a tad like bile. Too bad there is also a sort of shampoo smell in the drydown. On the whole, EdM was far more gourmand than I expected--the cedar, patchouli and sage/iodine accord is quite masculine, with an effect very similar to Angel and its ilk. I give EdM some points for the unusual opening accord, but find that ultimate gourmand weirdness is better satisfied by Tom Ford's Black Orchid. Having said that, I am enjoying EdM today, and find it to be an acceptable warm weather scent, appropriate for both men and women.

Hmmmmm.

I'm having trouble finding a fragrance.

I was thinking Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint (as if I don't already talk about that one enough), but one of the things that makes that one so interesting to me is this odd little buttery foodlike note that, IMO, makes it not utterly in the "fresh" category.

Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale? It's bright and sparkly and gingery. But gingery is more of a bright fiery sparkle than a cold wet one, right? Like 4th of July sparklers, instead of like a fountain.

Le Labo Jasmin 17 is bright and liquid, but it's got an intensity of flavor, like sour lemonade that you're enjoying, but then you're pleased when some of the ice melts and you realize that the lemon was getting just a little too intense. So that seems somehow counter-fresh.

Parfumerie Generale L'Eau Rare Matale. Water and tea and minerals. A scent that smells the way that perfectly clean light-filled water splashing on gritty rocks looks. Hmmm. OK, I'd go with L'Eeau Rare Matale, but I don't have any right now! I packed it for a trip and left it elsewhere; long story.

OK: Fresh Hesperides. Ice cold grapefruit, un-soured just enough that you don't have that please-melt-the-ice-faster thing. A scent that you could gulp down by the glass if it were a drink, or dive into if it were a pool. It's the one that I keep in the fridge for really, really hot days, so I guess it's the one.

Crayfish

Edited to add: Well, hmph. After several hours in Fresh Hesperides, I've discovered: I don't seem to like it any more. A couple of months ago I got a really 'synthetic' feel from my other bottle, but I figured that was the badly stored bottle. Now I'm getting it from this, better stored bottle.

I've worn it happily a couple of times in between those two instances, but this time I disliked it to the point of scrubbing it off. It's starting to look like I may end up giving away two bottles of the stuff.

Hmph.
    Last edited by Crayfish; 3rd August 2009 at 01:02 AM.

happy is the bleu heart<3

I didn't have time yesterday to post here, we had a family get-together that took up my whole day.

I don't really have a lot of fresh or aquatic scents in my collection. OK, probably none actually. A good friend sent me a decant of Beth Terry Creative Universe Mare, so I ended up being scent-twins with petruccijc today by wearing that.

It smells like sea salt and clean breezes to me. I like it except for its longevity. It was gone much too soon. Many of you were wearing interesting sounding scents yesterday ... I will have to check some of them out. My collection could use a nice sea-themed scent.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    OhBoyOhBoy!! :bounce: My favert! (As I say for every SnS)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Yup, I love SnS weekends just so I can hear you say that! Love ya, Taolady!
    Me, too. It's like hearing the theme song to a favorite TV show.

Well, nothing new at our state's most-fragrant mall yesterday. I give up on shopping in-state.

This morning I rummaged through my samples of things fresh, green, or citrus; lingered over Cucumber Baie and veered away; landed on Bel Respiro.

Bel Respiro is not so much fresh and cool as it is, for me, an unemotional fragrance. So it's cold in the not-too-worked-up sense, and oftentimes I don't want a scent to make my mood for me.

As Chaya says, eaus/eaux qualify this category. Mental note: Sample more of 'em.
    Last edited by Quarry; 2nd August 2009 at 03:51 PM.

Totally busy this past weekend but did go with fresh on Saturday, wearing O de Lancome.

Blog Entries

I ended up in a "fresh" scent today-- Occhi Verdi Fleur de Batik from a sample. This came to me from an overseas swap. I did a google search that yielded 27 hits, none in English (unless you count Ebay in Singapore). It appears to be a drugstore scent in mainland Europe.

To me, it smells like shampoo. Not soap or dryer sheet, but definitely a slightly sweet, floral shampoo. Maybe Jhirmack, but I haven't smelled Jhirmack in decades. I can't even begin to describe notes, but I'm pretty sure there's rose and lily of the valley, maybe freesia or jasmine, plus some juicy fruit like mandarin. You'd think I'd be better at this by now! I'd say this is a young girl's perfume. Something for someone in her tweens or thereabouts. It's bright and pretty and considering how cheap it is overseas I'm a little surprised I've never heard of this line before. Anyway, it was a nice, FRESH surprise test wearing for this hot, summer day.

On the actual day of the SnS I wore Mugler Cologne, the ultimate Fresh Scent, imo. I find it both energizing and cooling with the lemon/lime citrus and the "still damp from the shower" soapiness. A very Refreshing Scent is perhaps what I mean to say.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

FINALLY!!! *tearing open my newly arrived package and spritzing with abandon* This is much greener-citrusy-fresh than the lotus-aquatic-fresh I remembered... odd I was so far off, but it is exceptionally lovely.

Memories of rowing out across the lake to the thick patch of waterlilies... they clumped together so thick that your oar could get caught in the leathery stems. Dewy white blooms never smelled quite so floral as the "waterlily" synthetic in perfumes, but they had lighter, less flashy scent... I catch traces of it here, which must be the lotus flowers. Nevertheless, the boldest note is the green mango, and I'd compare it to Kumquat's hedge apple. That sharp citrus green blends just beautifully with the prominent grapefruit. I'm a bit disappointed that the incense and sycamore wood didn't linger past the topnotes. They were too faint to be noticed at any point, along with the aromatic rushes... there isn't any drydown to speak of.

Fleetingly lovely... less than 45 minutes on my skin, but on clothes I've gotten several hours so far. Seems odd to spritz post-dressing, but I'll cheat however I can to keep this on longer. Had I paid full price, I may have been miffed that it didn't change, didn't last, and didn't have the complexity its intriguing note list promised. But for the deal I got, its a perfectly stunning, straightforward, pick-me-up.

And the bottle's just gaaawwwgeous!!
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3