Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Man Extreme

Does anyone of you get a Black Orchid resemblance in TFM Extreme???
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: Tom Ford Man Extreme

No!

Basteri it's funny you mention this. Last year, I was speaking with the SA at my local Saks and mentioned my interest in Black Orchid. He asked me if I would like to try something that was sort of a "masculine Black Orchid", the uniqueness of the truffle accord in BO, with a lot of the florals removed. Of course I said yes, and he proceeded to show me Tom Ford Extreme. And yes, I do see the similarities between the two. However, there is (to me at least) an incredibly gross smoked meat accord suffocating everything else in TF Extreme that ruins it for me.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

OK! :-)
    Maybe my nose was as tired as me after 15 hours flight

I smell the nod to Black Orchid when TFE is first sprayed but it disappears very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Basteri it's funny you mention this. Last year, I was speaking with the SA at my local Saks and mentioned my interest in Black Orchid. He asked me if I would like to try something that was sort of a "masculine Black Orchid", the uniqueness of the truffle accord in BO, with a lot of the florals removed. Of course I said yes, and he proceeded to show me Tom Ford Extreme. And yes, I do see the similarities between the two. However, there is (to me at least) an incredibly gross smoked meat accord suffocating everything else in TF Extreme that ruins it for me.
    I agree. I wanted to like TF Extreme so much, but when all's said and done, it's actually a rather unpleasant smell. There are so many beautiful ingredients, but something quite nasty overwhelms them all in the end.

thank you guys.
    When I tried it i also tried white patchouli and there was a lady bathing on black orchid next to me, so I was not sure about my senses. In the plane I kept smelling something very "Black Orchid" where I strayed Extreme, I regretit not buying it right away but now that I am reading you it was not such a bad idea to pass.
    In a different note there was nothing at all that grabbed my attention which made me feel rather uneasy.

I like Tom Ford Extreme...even the bottle looks great...definitely on the lookout to snag a cheap bottle......I don't quite remember if it smells like Black Orchid though....

Basenotes Institution

Like loungeboy mentioned, for just a second when you apply TFE, there is a tiny flash of Black Orchid - thereafter it is definitely different scent.

I had to sell my bottle. It ended up giving me a stomach ache every time I wore it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th July 2009 at 05:11 PM.

Sur la Plage

I agree that there is a brief moment where there is a Black Orchid association - but then quickly changes. I really love Tom Ford Extreme - I am happy to have it in my wardrobe.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

To me they are very different, almost opposites. I don't see any resemblances. ... Extreme is really spicy whereas BO is not at all, with all it's honied florals.

However I do think that they layer very well together, and the final result is quite wonderful. The spices and woods of Extreme "mans up" the flowers of BO a little. And the "flowers" of BO "softens" and sweetens the spices and woods of E.

EDIT Sorry Basteri. ... I have actually just gone and done a side by side comparison. For what you said intrigued me. ... And you (and other's on here) are actually entirely correct. ... My earlier comment was done from memory. But now after having re checked. Yes definitely the first 10 minute of both Ex + BO are very similar indeed ! Whereas after that they start going off on their own path. Differing more and more as they go along. ... Although I will even go as far as to say that there is also something underlying both, just under the surface (possibly a base accord), that they both share. Giving them something that does make them feel like "brother and sister". (Like a signature accord). ...

I can't actually believe that I had not picked up on this before. ... Just goes to shows just how unreliable scent memory is. ... I needed to do a "side by side" comparison to pick it up. ... Though now I will never be able to miss it again. ... It's "accord" or "whatever" is probably going to stick out like a sore thumb now. (LOL)

Actually these similarities are probably the reason why they layer so well !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 29th July 2009 at 06:08 AM.

I definitely see a resemblance to Black Orchid not so much in the notes but in more the style and mood of the fragrances. Both are think sultry affairs. In any case to me Extreme definitely has more in common with Black Orchid than it does with the original Tom Ford for Men.

I own it and love it. I don't get to wear it often but I do think that its a very unique scent. I wish it was EDP instead of EDT.

It always ends up smelling like a hospital to me. Very medicinal and antiseptic.

you guys have mixed feelings about it... on my way home I will have to buy it and give it a full wear, I also love the bottle