Code of Conduct

Thread: Knize Forest

Default Knize Forest

Is this worth sampling? I've seen it frequently be associated with words like mossy,green,soapy. I wonder how similar is KF to GIT? The latter I've grown out of, so if KF it's the usual run-of-the-mill gentlemanly scent,then it's not my cup of tea. Ten is a major letdown and I hope Forest more of a natural offering, but just how natural can it get?
    Last edited by CDG; 27th July 2009 at 09:50 PM.

Default Re: Knize Forest

This was one of my biggest dissapointments of the year thus far. Yes it is gentlemanly, yes it is green, yes it is soapy, and yes it does smell "good", so why the dissapointment? Because it smells like GIT, and Cool Water, and you get my drift. It's just such an over-saturated genre, that even if it is better than some, or older than some it feels unnessecary. Sure, if this is a genre that you love than it may do you some benefit to seek out a sample, if you aren't a die hard GIT and Cool Water fan, it's not that important. Plus, and this was the true deal breaker for me, I got multiple, comments on how it smelled particularly "old". Never have I gotten those comments from GIT, there's an odd waxiness to KF, that makes it feel rather old world.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I have Knize Forest, and have sampled GIT many times. I really don't see the resemblance, though I often hear the comment. Knize Forest is a distinctive, hard-to-describe green scent. It is not very coniferous, more like a dark green leafy forest with some powdery aspects.
    GIT -- my personal take on it is that it is a bit sweet and somewhat underwhelming. Green Valley is a better green Creed scent, IMO.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Forest is a nice all around green fragrance. It has a rich masculine greens and herbal scent but smells a bit old fashioned in some way to me. I can't put my finger on exactly why but it's not my favorite green scent, but I can see why lots of people like it. It's worth a try but not a blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    This was one of my biggest dissapointments of the year thus far. Yes it is gentlemanly, yes it is green, yes it is soapy, and yes it does smell "good", so why the dissapointment? Because it smells like GIT, and Cool Water,
    Or Garrigue, for that matter ... which I just got samples of today. Even with all the similarities, KF seems to have the darkest opening of the group.

there's an odd waxiness to KF, that makes it feel rather old world.
    The note or accord lurking in the heart notes that leaves you wondering for a while why the devil you bought the stuff? After a few wearings I've come to appreciate it far more than I expected to.

CDG: Knize Forest is a well-made, very "natural" fragrance, but as far as the mood it sets it makes Hinoki seem cheerful in comparison.

For me, Knize Forest, as I sampled it at the original Knize boutique in Vienna, came close to a revelation, since it taught me one precious lesson regarding scents, namely that a conservative, formal, niche frag can actually smell youthful and fresh, without being generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    Or Garrigue, for that matter ... which I just got samples of today. Even with all the similarities, KF seems to have the darkest opening of the group.
    You find Garrigue similar to GIT and KF? Really? Hmmm, I don't find them similar in the least, apart from them both being green and slightly sweet. Garrigue is in the same ballpark as Platinum Egoiste to me.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

You find Garrigue similar to GIT and KF? Really? Hmmm, I don't find them similar in the least, apart from them both being green and slightly sweet. Garrigue is in the same ballpark as Platinum Egoiste to me.
    On a left-wrist/right-wrist test, I do smell the opening similarities between GIT and Garrigue that several reviewers have commented on. Like Cool Water and Knize Forest they both have that fougere+orange+aromatics opening that so many people love.

I still plan on doing more of a full wear with Garrigue - it's in the middle and base where I expect all of these to diverge. Enough to buy a full bottle? Hard to say at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    On a left-wrist/right-wrist test, I do smell the opening similarities between GIT and Garrigue that several reviewers have commented on. Like Cool Water and Knize Forest they both have that fougere+orange+aromatics opening that so many people love.

I still plan on doing more of a full wear with Garrigue - it's in the middle and base where I expect all of these to diverge. Enough to buy a full bottle? Hard to say at this point.
    On the subject of similarity between these fragrances.....which comes out on top between them as the overall best fragrance of the bunch?

Garrigue is in my "immediate interest, must decide soon" category due to stock-lists shrinking...
    Last edited by Bigsugarman; 29th July 2009 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsugarman View Post
    On the subject of similarity between these fragrances.....which come out on top between them as the overall best fragrance of the bunch?
    +1 and add EAU DE CAMPAGNE to discussion

Knize Forest and Creed GIT are from my point of view rather unrelated, apart from belonging to the broad category of "fresh" fragrances (a term to often used by clueless sales assitants). GIT/Cool water starts with the "grey citrus" smell of dihydromyrcenol, violet leafes and the cleaness of ambroxan. GIT becomes more floral after ther first half hour. Both smell more like a walk on a fresh summer day close to the sea.

Knize Forest is all about green notes with a slight musk base. I even smell some kind of "soil". It reminds me of a walk through a fir forest on a frosty winter day. A rather unique scent. Maybe Loewe Esencia catches a part of this vibe.

Knize Forest does have floral notes - but the rosewood/carnation/geranium accord just doesn't come across the same way as the violet in Grey Flannel, an iris/rose (listed for GIT), or the white florals in many feminine frags. I'm thinking that maybe the geranium is cranked up a bit more than standard, keeping things cool and damp. After about 6-8 hours yesterday for the middle florals and aromatics to fade enough to distinguish the lavender/tonka (or maybe I'm getting better at noticing those two a bit better) separately as present and still going.

As developments go, that's closer to MPG Centaure than MPG Garrigue.

Wearing Garrigue (swabbed though, not sprayed) today, the lavender recedes much faster, leaving the aromatics, cedar, and musk. Not arid, but Mediterranean. Since it's not applied that strongly I can't tell how well it really would compare to Platinum Egoiste ... However, I still get the same opening as GIT/KF, although the scent takes a hard left turn after a few minutes.

As to which is better? That's going to depend on your own taste, and the money you're willing to spend.

if smells anything like Esencia de Loewe and GIT it has to be a WINNER!
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    For me, Knize Forest, as I sampled it at the original Knize boutique in Vienna, came close to a revelation, since it taught me one precious lesson regarding scents, namely that a conservative, formal, niche frag can actually smell youthful and fresh, without being generic.
    I agree with Ken Russell. Knize Forest is conservative, formal, and I'd add "classy" -- it has a timeless quality about it.
    If a person is looking for an uber-green/fresh scent, then Sisley's Eau de Campagne, Diptyque's Virgilio, or Miller & Bertaux's Green, green, green, green would be the strongest candidates.

The brochure in my bottle lists the following as elements (some of these differ from the BN pyramid):
    TOP: lavender, bergamot, lemon, juniper, clary sage, verbena
    MID: oregano, spruce, carnation, rose, geranium
    BASE: cedarwood, moss, labdanum, amber, tonka, sandalwood.
    In addition to these elements, I am convinced that there are mint and violet leaf notes.
    I don't find Forest to be piney or coniferous at all. But it is lovely, green, and very satisfying.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Its now available at TPC.