Code of Conduct

Default MPG - Parfum d'Habit, tell me more

Along with Baime I'm also considering this now for a blind buy. I don't know why but this was one MPG I just never really read up on or paid attention to and now that I have I wonder why I've waited so long, it sounds like something right up my alley!

Just how heavy and deep and dark is it? I tend to love dense but smooth green scents such as Yatagan, Grey Flannel, Route du Vetiver and NR for him. The reviews of Parfum d'Habit make it sound like it should appeal to a fan of those scents. How would you compare it to the aforementioned scents as far as density, greenness, masculinity, texture, etc.

Any other thoughts are welcome, thanks!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 27th July 2009 at 10:54 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: MPG - Parfum d'Habit, tell me more

OK, SoS, let's not waste time. I just looked at your wardrobe and you should buy it post haste. The "snooze, you lose" factor is pretty high on this one. It's earthy and great for fans of Yatagan and RdV. (Although, Gray Flannel? Blech.) Check out some of the reviews on this one in the directory. They are accurate and helpful.

Have had this on the radar for at least two years. Will buy a sample soon.

I have lost orientation in all those excellent MPG-reformulations-threads. Therefore my question: Have they attenuated Parfum d'Habit?

If i absolutely love KOUROS, can i stand the "urine" in Parfum d'Habit ?
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

The name says it all with Parfum d' Habit - means fragrance of dress or clothing. If you have ever smelled a very old wool shirt or second generation wool coat where the sweat has soaked into the wool and has aged the boiled wool scent with many days of movement through the forest - that's Parfum d' Habit. It smells of old wool and a bit of forest and eventually becomes a kind of forest leather.

Parfum d' Habit does not smell good when you sniff it, but it does smell distinctive and has the essence of the survivor in it. This is very much an individualist scent. Probably should test it first.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 28th July 2009 at 04:52 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Notes for Pd'H:

Maître Parfumeur & Gantier
    Parfum d'Habit
    (1998)
    Top Notes: Blackcurrant Buds, Bergamot, Petitgrain
    Middle Notes: Leather, Geranium, Patchouli, Incense
    Base Notes: Sandalwood, Ambergris, Vanilla

Personally, I love this scent, especially for evening and dress-up occasions; but I agree that you should sniff before you buy. With this one, it might be a good idea to test both on your skin and on a shirt. It smells rather different on fabric and on skin.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Theres no way in australia that i could test this. Is Santal Noble safer than this ? I have a sample of SN on my way but im scared the stock will run out b4 i cud test this. :- /
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 28th July 2009 at 05:36 AM.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I have smelled both the old and new Santal Noble and despite not having sniffed PdH I think it is safe to say that based on the reviews from many trusted noses that Santal Noble is a much safer blind buy. The reformulated Santal Noble is an extremely safe buy, imo. It's a smooth and slightly creamy woody scent. Gentle. Comforting.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Is there *anything* else out there like Parfum d'Habit?

I'm just not sure what to buy with my limited funds. I might not even get the Route du Vetiver as the new version is just not as satisfying as the old and I feel there are likely vetivers out there that I've not tested that I'd like better (perhaps Turtle Vetiver, for instance).

Would Parfum d'Habit be redundant alongside NR for Him or Yatagan? Is it more masculine than Yatagan (a feat hard to pull off!)?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

@ SoS: despite the fact it is smooth and slightly cream, is it still woody enough ? I like woody without the incense scents (soz for hijacking ur thread abit )
    P.S: whats your comment about longevity and sillage, coz im on the strong side.
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 28th July 2009 at 06:13 AM.

"No Pain, No Gain"

This scent is MPG's most masculine - I wish I'd bought it when I had the chance to get it half price, but I foolishly bought Racine instead (nice scent, lousy staying power).

I've just put some sample of it on my wrist now, and am wondering what kind of nasal cavity could detect "urine" in it.
    Renato

Blog Entries

Based on the MPGs you like, its a safe bet Parfum d'Habit is right up your alley. Its nothing alike Yatagan or Narciso Rodriguez. I can't think of something that resembles Parfum d'Habit. Perhaps L'Artisan Mechant Loup without the honey note?
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

This is by far my favorite fragrance from MPG, and I like most of them. I do think you'll like it based on your wardrobe, but surely it's still better to sample first if you possibly can.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    The name says it all with Parfum d' Habit - means fragrance of dress or clothing. If you have ever smelled a very old wool shirt or second generation wool coat where the sweat has soaked into the wool and has aged the boiled wool scent with many days of movement through the forest - that's Parfum d' Habit. It smells of old wool and a bit of forest and eventually becomes a kind of forest leather.

Parfum d' Habit does not smell good when you sniff it, but it does smell distinctive and has the essence of the survivor in it. This is very much an individualist scent. Probably should test it first.
    I bought Parfum d'Habit just for the heck of it! Blind...without having sampled it! I wanted something with a leather note, having become smitten with Hermes Kelly Caleche. You *do* have to give the scent time to settle on the skin as the top notes are tough to take. Once the fragrance starts to blossom on the skin, the true nature is revealed. Maybe "blossom" is a poor word choice here, because there are no overly floral notes in Parfum d'Habit, giving it the reputation of its masculine character.

The French term "habit" does refer to clothing but specifically more akin to the English word "outfit." This implies a time of day or particular activity, such as "morning dress," "hunting dress," or "evening dress" (what we would call the formality difference between "black tie" and "white tie.")

For instance, Guerlain's "Habit Rouge" refers to the "red habit," the red jacket worn for the hunt. In the 19th century, the well-dressed man's clothing choices were dictated by time of day and activity. Men (as did women) changed "habits" several times a day: for the promenade, for riding/driving (that is, riding horses and driving carriages), hunting (fox/fowl, etc), evening/ballroom. As JaimeB has already noted, he uses Parfum d'Habit for more formal occasions.

Hermes "Amazone," by the way, refers to the woman in a riding habit, which was seen as an sexy icon of spirited womanhood. (Courtesans often advertised themselves in public parks on horseback.) This refers to Hermes having its start as a maker of luxury leather horse harnesses in the 1830s. (An amazone was an equestrienne.)

As this fragrance from MPG is from "Les Caprices du Dandy" collection--the whims of the dandy--this inspiration is fitting.
    Last edited by Primrose; 28th July 2009 at 04:05 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Primrose, just curious - do you have the 90ml old bottle or 100ml new bottle design? I'm just curious if the top notes are still so challenging in the new formulation as it seems like the top notes were often what was changed the most (no doubt to make them more agreeable for the masses). I'm just curious I suppose because I love refined and traditionally pleasing top notes (Bois de Turquie is a great example) as well as challenging and off-putting top notes (L'Anarchiste).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Primrose, just curious - do you have the 90ml old bottle or 100ml new bottle design? I'm just curious if the top notes are still so challenging in the new formulation as it seems like the top notes were often what was changed the most (no doubt to make them more agreeable for the masses). I'm just curious I suppose because I love refined and traditionally pleasing top notes (Bois de Turquie is a great example) as well as challenging and off-putting top notes (L'Anarchiste).
    I have the old 90ml bottle. The top notes, yes, are almost medicinal in power. I can't speak for the new formula.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Off-Scenter

Well, to address some of SOS's specific concerns:

Parfum d'Habit is neither more nor less "macho" than Yatagan. If you're comfortable wearing Yatagan, you'll probably be comfortable wearing Parfum d'Habit.

Parfum d'Habit smells nothing like Yatagan or Narciso Rodriguez for Him, and would not be redundant in a wardrobe that includes these other two.

I can't think of anything that smells quite like Parfum d'Habit. It's something of a one-off scent. The closest thing that comes to mind in terms of mood (though not actual composition,) is perhaps the current version of Bandit EdP.

I have only smelled Parfum d'Habit from the old 90 ml bottle, so I have no idea whether or to what degree the formula has been tampered with.

Hope that's some help!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 28th July 2009 at 09:16 PM.

Sorry to hijack your post here "Sculpture" ... But does anyone know which is the best UK (or EU) online store that actually stocks MPG frags ?

I have been searching and searching ... but to no avail, so far. ...
    Thank you in advance !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 28th July 2009 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks for the info Vibert. I don't think I can resist much longer. Baime sounded interesting but this just sounds so "me."
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Sorry to hijack your post here "Sculpture" ... But does anyone know which is the best UK (or EU) online store that actually stocks MPG frags ?

I have been searching and searching ... but to no avail, so far. ...
    Thank you in advance !
    first-in-fragrance.

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    first-in-fragrance.
    Thanx Ohhmygod ... That one is the same as AZLD not so ? .... But I will still appreciate other/more suggestions please. So keep them coming. ... Hopefully one within the UK ??? Now that would be perfect ! ... It's nice to have options (and hopefully competitive prices too (LOL))

A close comparison is Versus Uomo by Versace, released in 1991 and now discontinued.

Theres no way in australia that i could test this. Is Santal Noble safer than this ? I have a sample of SN on my way but im scared the stock will run out b4 i cud test this. :- /
    I am in Melbourne and I can offer you a spritz (only a small one) of my cherished PdH (original, thanks Renato for a tip! It 's a shame really that you've opted for Racine though. I tried them all in that shop and glad that I picked up PdH).

Cheers
    Last edited by Alex; 29th July 2009 at 12:19 PM.

pm sent.

"No Pain, No Gain"

It makes total sense that this MPG smells completely different on cloth than it does on skin, as JaimeB mentions above.

A direct translation of Parfum d'Habit is "Perfume for Clothes", and was designed to also be sprayed on cloth/material. (jackets, coats etc.) ... Here is an excerpt from one of MPG's "brochures" :

" Parfum d'Habit (Perfume for Clothes) Elegant association of fresh notes, Patchouli, Sandalwood and Vetiver. Perfuming the interior of a coat or jacket will reflect all day long your elegance and refinement ".

Description: Vetyver, leather, patchouli, bergamot, blackcurrant.
    Family: Wood. Unisex Fragrance

(Sounds a little like an Encre Noir with some patchouli thrown in , and a leathery base ???? (LOL)
    This happens to be one that I have never been able to sample yet. (and also Iris Bleu Gris) ... But it certainly sounds like it has the capacity to become my very fave out the whole lot. ... I think I need to go do a blind buy of this one myself too.

Then ....
    A quick question about "Iris Bleu Gris" please ??? (Hope ya guys don't mind ) ... Does it have quite a heavy citrus facet ? For I am so intrigued by it, but it may probably not be for me if it has too strong a presence of hespiridic notes. ... So is the grapefruit and lemon a strong player here ??? (which is more prominent ?) I hate a grapefruit note more often than not ! ...
    Or is it there just very briefly at the "opening" ? ...
    Or even better , does it take a back seat to the other notes ?? Just blending away to the Iris ??? . ...
    Or am I going to get this very tenacious grapefruit or lemon blast that sticks around as much as possible. Until the Iris finally manages to fight it off ???
    Last edited by Sybarite; 30th July 2009 at 09:46 AM.

Iris Bleu Gris is all about iris (the old formulation, at least. I can't speak for the new formulation yet, though I will likely pick up a bottle soon).

The citrus is really just a supporting note and likely there to help meld things together in the opening (although the opening is still a bit "rough" as are so many of the older MPGs). After that it's all about iris - a hint of powder but a very round and full iris unlike some of the airier/colder/ethereal renditions. This is far warmer than most iris renditions. Also, I get a hint of a cinnamon like note in the mids - just a hint but it blends beautifully with the iris. The iris also has a bit of a suede or leathery feel due to its thickness. A great scent - although more formal than casual.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Wow !... Thank you "Sculpture"! ... You have made it sound just absolutely fantastic. You may have just described exactly what I would luv from an Iris frag. (The warmth sounds perfect too (as they are usually rather "cool". ... and even the cinnamon sounds oddly "right" ! ... And well the suede too is just perfection !
    Is it quite a strongly rooty one too ? ... (I do hope so ! )...
    What, in your opinion, lends it it's warmth ???

I would luv to find someone that still stocks the 90ml old bottles. As I actually prefered the old bottle with the "diamond quilting" sort of thing going on. (LOL) ... I think that "belle-laide" French "description" fits them perfectly. With those huge gaudy crystals and all. ... But I really like them anyway.
    I think I may just "bite the bullet" and join you on the "blind buy" spree here (LOL)

Did you buy it, SoS ?

"No Pain, No Gain"

Sorry, after all of this I ended up giving my Amouage Lyric sample a full wearing and absolutely fell head over heels for it which surprised me as I didn't like it much from the wrist test. I ended up splurging on Lyric and couldn't justify the blind buy. I did get to try Baime though (I started a thread about that, too) and while I like it, I like Grain de Plaisir better for the aromatic thing so I'm glad I didn't blind buy it.

If anyone wants to part with or sell a sample of PdH I'd be willing to pay for it. If it's really good I will pick it up for the non-sale price in a few weeks when I've got the money.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Hahaha great. My PdH is on the way to Australia and Alex is sending me a card sprayed with it too, so i should b able to tell u soon how much u missed out (or how lucky u r)
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 4th August 2009 at 09:32 AM.

"No Pain, No Gain"

Hahaha great. My PdH is on the way to Australia and Alex is sending me a card sprayed with it too, so i should b able to tell u soon how much u missed out (or how lucky u r)
    Card posted today. Tell us what you think

Cheers,

I just bought Parfum D'Habit and Eau des Iles from perfumecountry.com or their sister site 99perfume.com and to my surprise I got a vintage 90 ml bottle of Parfum D'Habit but a 100 ml bottle of Eau des Iles. Looking back at their website this is how they are listed. They also have Route de Vetiver 90 ml listed in stock. Also use the coupon code TAKE10 for 10% off.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

If i absolutely love KOUROS, can i stand the "urine" in Parfum d'Habit ?
    The only urine I've ever smelled whilst wearing Parfum d'Habit was being in a public bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    I just bought Parfum D'Habit and Eau des Iles from perfumecountry.com or their sister site 99perfume.com and to my surprise I got a vintage 90 ml bottle of Parfum D'Habit but a 100 ml bottle of Eau des Iles. Looking back at their website this is how they are listed. They also have Route de Vetiver 90 ml listed in stock. Also use the coupon code TAKE10 for 10% off.
    Sorry to sidetrack - I'm not sure they have anymore 90ml Route de Vetiver. I ordered one that arrived banged up from UPS and had leaked. They immediately sent me a replacement (great customer service by the way!), but it was a 100ml on arrival, even though it still said 90ml on the site and invoice.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post

I ordered Route de Vetiver last week, and the one they sent me is 100ml. Perhaps you got lucky with the 90ml of Parfum D'Habit. But then again, its the only Maitre I prefer in 100ml.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Im sorry to say, but Parfum d'Habit is AWESOME STUFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though i can only smell the basenotes but still i find this scent really familiar with me. You missed out, SoS. Special thank to Alex, who is really generous !! I appreciate it.

P/S: after 5 mins, i found this stuff really addicting Hmm is it vintage PdH or new formulation, Alex ?

P/S #2: This one give me a feeling of Drakkar Noir + Kouros + Rive Gauche. PdH doesnt smell like them but i got the same feeling
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 6th August 2009 at 09:57 AM.

"No Pain, No Gain"

P/S: after 5 mins, i found this stuff really addicting Hmm is it vintage PdH or new formulation, Alex ?

P/S #2: This one give me a feeling of Drakkar Noir + Kouros + Rive Gauche. PdH doesnt smell like them but i got the same feeling
    It is an old formulation in 90 ml bottle. I knew you gonna love it mate. Nothing else smells like it.
    A big thanks to Renato who shared his knowledge of where I could get MPG in Melbourne a few years back.

Cheers,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Sorry to sidetrack - I'm not sure they have anymore 90ml Route de Vetiver. I ordered one that arrived banged up from UPS and had leaked. They immediately sent me a replacement (great customer service by the way!), but it was a 100ml on arrival, even though it still said 90ml on the site and invoice.
    Thats a bummer.....Should have just kept it I guess. I bought one from them as well and the bottle had leaked a bit (not much) and had degraded the glue that holds the metal cap in place, and it broke immediately. I thought briefly about sending it back, but decided it wasn't worth the risk, which as it turns out, was justified. Too bad.

Guess what i received today.

"No Pain, No Gain"

Oooh ! You lucky ****** you ! ... And an "old" bottle too ! ... You have me turning slightly bright flourescent green around the edges ! (LOL)

hahaha ^__^ old bottle means the old formulation ?

"No Pain, No Gain"

hahaha ^__^ old bottle means the old formulation ?
    Yep ! Thats's the old formulation alright ! ... Plus I just much prefer the whole design of the bottle too ! ... I know some people here seem to actually prefer the newer formulation of this one in particular (it seems to be the odd one out, in that regard). ... I on the other hand have only sampled the newer bottle reformulation. So I can't really tell which one I prefer, as of yet!
    (And now that ya have the whole bottle ... If ya would like to pass on your recently acquired "old" sample my way, in exchange for a sample of "Or des Indes" perhaps (or anything else in my 'drobe) ??? ... Ya would really make my day ! ... Shoot me a PM !

PM sent. I wonder wheres SoS

"No Pain, No Gain"