Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Wild Country by Avon

I am new to the mens fragrance world; but would like to learn more to help others that are new get started. This a review of my first fragrance obtained in my collection.

Wild Country was launched in 1967 by Avon. The first Avon Lady was actually a young door to door salesman named David McConnell, from upstate New York. When he was sixteen, McConnell had begun selling books door-to-door. He resorted to the then-popular advertising Gimmick of offering a free introductory gift (a complimentary vial of rose oil perfume) in exchange for being allowed to make a sales pitch.

Wild Country by Avon is an aromatic fougère for men. Fougère, come from the French word for “fern-like", and is one of the fragrance group into which modern male colognes classified. Perfume-originator of this group is Fougère Royal by the house of Houbigant created in 1882 by Paul Parquet. The perfumer extracted the coumarin and used it in perfumery for the first time. Coumarin can be found in several plants, such as Tonka beans, and it possesses intensive scent of freshly mown grass. Fougère compositions include notes of lavender, geranium, oak moss and wood. Members of the fougère family are especially popular as fragrances for men. Many modern fougère perfumes have various citrus, herbaceous, green, and floral notes included. They all tend to have a sweet/bitter and woody, which consists of a base accord of: Oak moss, Tonka bean. The most common modifiers added to a fougère include vetiver and geranium. Bergamot is often present to add sharpness to the lavender.

Wild Country is a fougère scent that is masculine with aromatic freshness of lavender and oak moss. This cologne captures a rugged essence with a vibrant mix of grasses, spicy coriander, warm, spicy, woody, with a lingering touch of musk, and powdery tones. This classic fragrance could be described as a typical "barbershop scent”. I also get a "baby powder" feel from this. Not something guys might expect from a scent that's supposed to be masculine. Other aromatic fougère in my collection include: Eternity, Stetson's Sierra, Intimately Beckham, Dolce and Gabbana, Brut, Dana's Canoe, and YSL's Rive Gauche,

The overall effect is fresh and clean, but Wild Country is a different take on the citrus aquatic "fresh and clean" scent we typically associate with men's fragrances today. A very comfortable fragrance; the kind of scent I could wear often. It has great longevity, which makes it a terrific bargain from Avon. This one lasted about 6-8 hours on my skin. I would also rate it as a "safe" blind buy; you can also find it for around $15 US. This is the same cologne my father would wear often for work. The four bottles of Wild Country cologne and three bottles of Wild country aftershave I own are Christmas gifts from my parents. Got a swap? Ladies if you are looking for a good Men’s Cologne, this one I am sure you’ll like. This is one of my favorite around the house fragrance, and a warm smell that is also good for Fall or Winter.

Thanks for reading N8 =)
    Last edited by N8Martinez; 7th September 2009 at 05:37 AM. Reason: updated
    "Work is the curse of the Drinking Classes"

Default Re: Wild Country by Avon

wild country is one of the best avon has to offer.

I second black suede

Basenotes Institution

My dad wore this a lot when I was growing up. It makes me think of him, instantly, when I smell it. And yes, it does smell like baby powder on skin - which is why I can't wear it.

This fragrance was the first gift I was able to give my Dad for Father's day! I think I was in fourth grade. I was very proud that I was able to acquire a gift for him all by myself; won a math contest and chose it as my prize. Came in a container shaped like a cowboy boot. Closest fragrance I can think of is Paul Sebastian.

Nice scent, also a fan of Black Suede.
    Last edited by leffleur; 28th July 2009 at 06:00 PM.

Welcome, N8!

Wild Country has been around for a long time and one of Avon's best sellers.

Inexpensive and classic, but many people, as some here, associate this with parents and grandparents. Much like Old Spice.

That's not a bad thing, though.

When one gets into thinking in "age" lines, we get caught up in marketing. "Mouchoir de Monsieur" is a very old fragrance, but I love the scent on men of any age.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thumbs up Re: Wild Country by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Welcome, N8!

Wild Country has been around for a long time and one of Avon's best sellers.

Inexpensive and classic, but many people, as some here, associate this with parents and grandparents. Much like Old Spice.

That's not a bad thing, though.

When one gets into thinking in "age" lines, we get caught up in marketing. "Mouchoir de Monsieur" is a very old fragrance, but I love the scent on men of any age.
    My Grandfather wore Wild Country. I really like it too. I also like Mesmerize also(Hope I spelled it Right)

Quote Originally Posted by leffleur View Post
    Closest fragrance I can think of is Paul Sebastian.
    Do you also find any similarities between Wild Country and Stetson? I always associate them, perhaps because of the similar marketing.

I have 3 avon frags, Mesmerize, WIld Country, and Black Suede. Wild Country is my favorite by far. I havent heard about it before buying, so the pre-formed judgements based on reputation and memories were void. ALl I get is a pretty simple light baby-powder-ish sweet scent thats lasts a long time on my skin.

N8Martinez is right, Wild Country is on the line of Dana's Canoe and YSL's Rive Gauche. I layer it with a patchouly extract, this makes its sillage much better, as well as stronger. I don't get compliments, usually, but when wearing this combo, I do get plenty of them. It might be dated for some, for me this is fine. I came to realize it is one fo the scents on my weekly rotation that I use the most.

Musk is available down here (I know it has been discontinued in the USA), I regard it as Wild Country's stronger version. Amazingly good, too, IMHO, but not for everybody - Avon's SA told me it was too strong for her tastes...

Black Suede is on the line of Versace L'Homme and Dunhill for Men (1934). An excellent value for money, as well as a good option for these, but still, not as good.

Good lesson learned after joining BN: I never imagined Avon offered such good scents for such good prices.
    Last edited by Pollux; 28th July 2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typos

Thumbs up Re: Wild Country by Avon

Welcome to Basenotes N8Martinez !

You may wish to post your review in the review section of basenotes http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121699.html

I agree Wild Country by Avon is a nice everyday fragrance
    Last edited by moonrat; 29th July 2009 at 05:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Someone mentioned trying this frag layered with patchouli oil. Didn't have any but seemed interesting. So I found the most patchouli ladened frag I had "jovan sex appeal". Basically patchouli in a bottle. The benchmark of what patchouli smells like and a spray that, then the wild country over it. Interesting. I'm still waiting for the dry down. That's we're I think it will get even better, but actually I like it. The two smell less dated, and less cheap mixed. I don't mind either alone. I like both frags. Not fans by any means, but they are okay for a rare occasion when I want something different. But this combo I could actually see wearing more often. Try it. Tell me what you think. If you like warm, semi sweet frags.

I really like Wild Country I used to wear the deodorant a lot and I really enjoy it, I sure wouldn't mind getting a bottle of that stuff for some nostalgia.

Blog Entries

It's not bad. I like the dry down. Just very Avon.

Also used the deodorant a few times and thought the smell was nice.

Wild Country is a great bargain scent. Easy to find and afford, and pleasant.

I like their Black Suede Leather.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.