Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a non-typical fragrance for 22 year old male

Im new to the fragrance game. Im not looking to become a connoisseur..I just want to find fragrances that fit me well. Then again dont we all..

Im 22 male. I have tried a few fragrances over the past x weeks. Im looking for a fragrance that has a classic manly smell as opposed to a common one. But not a grandad one! Im someone that doesn't like to follow trends. Im a johnny depp kind of person. I just do my own thing. I would love something that not many people would own because its a forgotten classic, or is a fragrance that never caught on for an unknown reason. I am not good at all at detecting different notes, i just know whether i like something or i dont.

The fragrances i have used over the years have been versace blue jeans (nice because it reminds me of the holiday i bought it on..but ive outgrown it now), and Very Sexy for Him by victoria secret (i really like this but it smells a bit too feminine and doesnt last more than a few hours). But now im out of uni and into the big wide world i need a fragrance that accompanies that.

Here's my take on the fragrances i have tried over the past few weeks (samples bought after reading basenotes customer reviews. Thanks guys):

Allure por homme: this lasted the whole day..which wasnt a good thing. I didnt like the smell at all. I get public transport and you smell this on every 5th guy. Definitely wasnt a good start.
    joop jump: too sickly. Smells very common.
    lagerfeld classic: This is what im wearing now. Its a bit too powdery for me..it reminds me of my grandma which definitely isnt good (weird, i know. Maybe because its what was worn by the men my grandma romanced while my grandad was asleep hahah)! It reminds me of a bit of old spice and a bit of armani pour homme. It isnt bad, but isn't something i'd want to become known for.
    armani attitude: I like this a lot, it feels very manly and reminds me of armani pour homme. However it still feels like it has that frat-boy touch to it.
    vetiver extraordinaire: I've never smelt, let alone used, vetiver so i wanted to give it a try. Didnt like it at all. Smelt very leafy. Is this a particular obtrusive vetiver, or do they all have a similar smell?
    polo double black:
    gucci pour homme: Agree completely with the reviews...smelt like pencil shavings. Not one i'd really try again.
    diesel only the brave: Hated it when it first went on..but surprisingly after a while i started to........hate it even more. Really disgusting and common.

I think the kind of person you are also adds to what fragrances work for you. I like my wine, my lager, my espresso, my tobacco, my licorice, my liqour. Thats the kind of guy i am. Although i dont go overboard with my addictions, so im not looking for a typical friday/saturday night fragrance (im sure you know what i mean).

I have bought a few samples that have a tobacco note, but im not expecting to find the perfect fragrance, or even something remotely good for me. Im just interested.

Soooooooooooooooo....with all that said, are there some fragrances that the wonderful basenotes community can recommend to me? I buy samples online so its no big deal what is recommended.

Also another question...i cant find a Lagerfeld KL Pour Homme sample anywhere. If it is similar to lagerfeld classic i will give it a miss. If it is different ill keep hunting for a sample.

Thank

you
    Last edited by mazammit; 28th July 2009 at 10:18 PM.

Default Re: Looking for a non-typical fragrance for 22 year old male

I'm in the same boat as you man, though a tad younger. It seems to me you should check out some Creeds. Start with Green Irish Tweed. I don't know how much it will satisfy your "not smelling like an old man" requirement but if GIT is anything to go by, Creed might have a lot to offer. I've realized I'm into gourmands since I found this forum.

Also, check out bvlgari aqva - It's misledingly bottled and represented - it's a VERY thick masculine kind of a smell. Very impressive and lasting. I do understand it's somewhat common though.

Jil Sander for Man: one of my newest discoveries. Modern, but not generic, long lasting yet discreet, elegant and classy yet easy to wear with any kind of outfit, uncomplicated yet so blissfully fresh and still very distinguished.

Basenotes Institution

The new Gucci for men is gorgeous ! Incensey and smells very masculine .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I second the GIT recommendation or Bond No 9 Chez Bond which is similar to GIT but with a different drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by mazammit View Post
    Im someone that doesn't like to follow trends. Im a johnny depp kind of person. I just do my own thing. I would love something that not many people would own because its a forgotten classic, or is a fragrance that never caught on for an unknown reason. I am not good at all at detecting different notes, i just know whether i like something or i dont.
    That's where The Perfumed Court's sample packs really are helpful - you can pick examples of a broad category and see if you like any of them.

vetiver extraordinaire: I've never smelt, let alone used, vetiver so i wanted to give it a try. Didnt like it at all. Smelt very leafy. Is this a particular obtrusive vetiver, or do they all have a similar smell?
    There are many ways in which vetiver can be used. If you don't like the dark, earthy vetivers, there are still many lighter, grassy vetivers that are quite good.

Some random examples of masculine scents that you won't smell that commonly:

Acqua di Parma: Colonia Intensa
    Comme des Garcons: 2Man
    Guerlain: Vetiver
    Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    Heeley: Sel Marin

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    You're right, I totally forgot about Hermes. I think this is exactly what OP might like. It's very masculine but is kind of a formal scent. Very commanding.
    I enjoy it but I'd like a smell that's a bit more laid back.

Last edited by Vladdypwnz; 29th July 2009 at 02:23 AM.

Manly smell ? YSL Rive Gauche should solve your problem. Its long lasting with good sillage to boot. Not pricey and definitely pleases the ladies.

If you want something that is a little more rare and not found in department stores, try the Etat Libre d' Orange - Tom of Finland collab

It was rated somewhere as the top fragrance that clint eastwood would wear; which I'm guessing is a tribute to its masculinity? I just bought a bottle the other day after trying the sample for a week or so. It is a pretty sweet scent, but has a lot of depth and is unique smelling. It isn't even on the Luckyscent site, but you can call them and ask for a sample or request one when you order something else.

By Killian - Cruel Intentions or Liaisons Dangerous are both pretty masculine and definitely unique. Ohh! and By Killian - Pure Oud, this is an extremely masculine scent that reminds me of cigar humidifier room at first, but evolves into wonderful depth and lasts for a long time. This is also not listed on luckyscents site, but you can call them directly to get a sample.

Humiecki & Graef - Multiple Rouge or Eau Radieuse, great, unique smells that are still fairly under the radar as they aren't even listed on this site yet. You can get these at luckyscent
    Last edited by Silk; 29th July 2009 at 03:51 AM.

For our age group (I'm also 22)- simply wearing an older fragrance -one that's come out a long time ago and not too overplayed- would be pretty non typical. The average cologne shopper would not have stumbled across some of the older ones. I'm not familiar with many men's frags in particular, but I'd suggest maybe trying some oldies but goodies. My all time favie is Samsara (which is women's but some men here wear it) and it was made in 1989 so ... the perfumistas might recognize but not most of my classmates I think. Just a thought. Best luck and so glad you don't wanna be typical. Smart thinking there

Another favorite of mine is Concentree D'Orange Verte by Hermes. Which is unisex. And seems to be pretty popular with some of the men around here. Smells different from the frags I've sniffed on my male peers. They seem to smell musky/spicy/soapy/clean or sweet/fruity/soapy/clean. So something besides that.
    Last edited by misscasey; 29th July 2009 at 06:39 AM.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Thanks for the great replies everyone. I'll be checking every single recommendation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladdypwnz View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you man, though a tad younger. It seems to me you should check out some Creeds. Start with Green Irish Tweed. I don't know how much it will satisfy your "not smelling like an old man" requirement but if GIT is anything to go by, Creed might have a lot to offer. I've realized I'm into gourmands since I found this forum.

Also, check out bvlgari aqva - It's misledingly bottled and represented - it's a VERY thick masculine kind of a smell. Very impressive and lasting. I do understand it's somewhat common though.
    Green Irish Tweed sounds interesting. I'll probably check it out. ..... In fact i just googled it. The packaging and bottle look out of this world.

I will give bvlgari a miss. I have purchased a sample of the bvlgari black (which hasn't arrived yet) but its only to see what all the fuss is about. I've heard the brand name so much that as you say it's obvious a lot of people are wearing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Jil Sander for Man: one of my newest discoveries. Modern, but not generic, long lasting yet discreet, elegant and classy yet easy to wear with any kind of outfit, uncomplicated yet so blissfully fresh and still very distinguished.
    This looks great. I've done a bit of research and the two main ones are the 1981 fragrance (Man Pure), and the new (scent 79). I managed to find a sample of the former on ebay which i purchased, albeit more expensive than other samples. I also have just added the Scent 79 to my Perfumed Court cart. I look forward to experiencing this. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Gucci for men = Gucci Pour Homme? Or are they different. I wasn't keen on the Gucci Pour Homme. Fruity pencil shavings.
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I second the GIT recommendation or Bond No 9 Chez Bond which is similar to GIT but with a different drydown.
    Second recommendation for GIT means a lot to me. Thanks. I look forward to checking it out. Funnily enough the name was putting me off, even though the packaging looked good. However im finding it hard finding samples of Chez Bond. Perfumed Court has a $25 6ml sampler which is too much. I can't find any on ebay either.
    There are many ways in which vetiver can be used. If you don't like the dark, earthy vetivers, there are still many lighter, grassy vetivers that are quite good.
    If the extraordinaire is considered dark and earthy, then i cant imagine liking the lighter grassier ones. Since those were the descriptions i had for the extraordinaire and I didnt like it.
    Some random examples of masculine scents that you won't smell that commonly:

Acqua di Parma: Colonia Intensa
    Comme des Garcons: 2Man
    Guerlain: Vetiver
    Thanks, ill check all those out (even the vetiver!). What sort of scents are they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladdypwnz View Post
    You're right, I totally forgot about Hermes. I think this is exactly what OP might like. It's very masculine but is kind of a formal scent. Very commanding.
    I enjoy it but I'd like a smell that's a bit more laid back.
    I dont need something commanding per se. I am quite a commanding person myself, but not over the top. I wouldnt want a fragrance that it seems im putting ahead of my personality. However ill still check out the Hermes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Manly smell ? YSL Rive Gauche should solve your problem. Its long lasting with good sillage to boot. Not pricey and definitely pleases the ladies.
    Finding a scent to 'please the ladies' is an interesting one. Of course im not looking for one to turn them away, but as i said just above im looking for something that complements my personality. I am confident and i cut to the chase, and i find this goes a good length to 'pleasing the ladies'! No matter though, i'll still try out this fragrance. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    If you want something that is a little more rare and not found in department stores, try the Etat Libre d' Orange - Tom of Finland collab

It was rated somewhere as the top fragrance that clint eastwood would wear; which I'm guessing is a tribute to its masculinity? I just bought a bottle the other day after trying the sample for a week or so. It is a pretty sweet scent, but has a lot of depth and is unique smelling. It isn't even on the Luckyscent site, but you can call them and ask for a sample or request one when you order something else.

By Killian - Cruel Intentions or Liaisons Dangerous are both pretty masculine and definitely unique. Ohh! and By Killian - Pure Oud, this is an extremely masculine scent that reminds me of cigar humidifier room at first, but evolves into wonderful depth and lasts for a long time. This is also not listed on luckyscents site, but you can call them directly to get a sample.

Humiecki & Graef - Multiple Rouge or Eau Radieuse, great, unique smells that are still fairly under the radar as they aren't even listed on this site yet. You can get these at luckyscent
    Good old clint eastwood. Definitely the kind of 'muse' i have in my life. Very blunt, masculine, rugged but knows how to carry himself. Thanks for the other recommendations. They all sound like the kind of fragrances i am going for..relatively unknown and therefore i can make the scent "my own", but also have presence.

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    For our age group (I'm also 22)- simply wearing an older fragrance -one that's come out a long time ago and not too overplayed- would be pretty non typical. The average cologne shopper would not have stumbled across some of the older ones. I'm not familiar with many men's frags in particular, but I'd suggest maybe trying some oldies but goodies. My all time favie is Samsara (which is women's but some men here wear it) and it was made in 1989 so ... the perfumistas might recognize but not most of my classmates I think. Just a thought. Best luck and so glad you don't wanna be typical. Smart thinking there

Another favorite of mine is Concentree D'Orange Verte by Hermes. Which is unisex. And seems to be pretty popular with some of the men around here. Smells different from the frags I've sniffed on my male peers. They seem to smell musky/spicy/soapy/clean or sweet/fruity/soapy/clean. So something besides that.
    Yeah, thats the kind of vein im going for. A classic that isn't overplayed. Im sure there are many classics that faded away or didnt even catch on..and now is the time for me to reintroduce them! I want something that people will instantly recognise as ME. Not smell and think "well we know either Brad, Tom, Josh or Matt is in the room".

Thanks for the other recommendations miss casey, i'll check them all out.

You could check out Creed Tabarome Millesime. It tends to get treated as a bit of a lightweight around here - I think because it lacks the gravitas of some of the more vintage or punchy Creeds. But that's just the point - it's quite versatile, not 'old guy' and it has something a little more distinctive than GIT going for it - it's masculine but also upbeat IMO. I used to wear GIT a lot and when I came across this one it seemed like a nice next step at the time . . .

I similarly find Vetiver Extraordinaire to be strongly grassy and earthy; like the smell of tearing up sod ( I happen to be wearing it as I type this ). It is a very strong and plain vetiver, but not only are there other ways of doing vetiver, different kinds of vetiver can smell very different. If you're trying Malle, I'm assuming you don't mind trying similarly lesser-known fragrance lines.

Here are some different kinds of vetiver, all quite different from the Malle:

Guerlain Vetiver - similar note to the Malle, but much tamer and modified with citrus notes.
    Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental - rich, oriental, slightly foody vetiver, dry and sweet rather than damp and green.
    Comme des Garcons Vetiverru - dusty and dry vetiver, neither earthy not green, but rather woody.
    Profumum Fumidus - heavy-duty earthy vetiver, smoky, earthy, and almost spicy, but not green in the least.

If you're curious about vetiver, those four should give you a good sampling of the variety within the vetiver genre.

"I like my wine, my lager, my espresso, my tobacco, my licorice, my liquor..."

Let me suggest:

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille - rich tobacco and vanilla, which nicely offset each other here.
    Lubin Idole - spices and rum and tobacco and leather, yet subtle.
    Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe - boozey, sweet, and complex animalic amber.

If the extraordinaire is considered dark and earthy, then i cant imagine liking the lighter grassier ones. Since those were the descriptions i had for the extraordinaire and I didnt like it.
    You'd talked about smelling leaves, other reviewers talked about smelling dirt, so I've been thinking it was one of the darker vetivers like l'Occitane Vetyver, Encre Noire, or the "wood" note in Polo Double Black.

Thanks, ill check all those out (even the vetiver!). What sort of scents are they?
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa is a bright, fresh citrus that's probably a great morning wake-up scent.

Comme des Garcons 2Man is a dry, warm, moderately spiced, smoky fragrance that's just not easy to pin down.

Guerlain Vetiver: a semiformal citrus, light vetiver, with a bit of tobacco.

Terre d'Hermes: I've barely tested with one at Sephora. I like the dry citrus/cedar/vetiver aspects, but it doesn't grab me. It still seems "younger" than Hermes Equipage, and lasts longer than d'Orange Vert

Heeley Sel Marin: Atlantic sea spray on a Navy peacoat, or maybe a warm breeze off Albemarle Sound.

Montale Black Aoud (or another aoud/rose if that one is a little too intense. golden is not as loud. but i like loud.) Both the aoud and the rose will be new for someone your age. Don't let the rose scare you, this is James Bond's rose, all man.

Bond no 9 riverside drive is also very interesting.

Please feel free to message me with any questions, I'm not too much older than you, so I've been there.

Solo Loewe.
    Not a lot of people have it (generic mallrat-fratboy scent its not), its not-so-niche (expensive, hard-to-find), but darnit it's good juice.

Saw Encre Noire on this post somewhere...seriously wanted to like this frag but to this noob, it just smells like cut plywood how is that different from pencil shavings?

try Millisime Imperial by Creed....amazing stuff!

My sample of Man Pure by Jil Sander arrived today. Its definitely the sort of thing im looking for, although when it went on it was very incensey. However over time it became smoother. Definitely a positive.

Creed's Millesime Imperial is very nice too - although a tad on the expensive side.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I find that Farenheit by Christian Dior goes really well with the tobacco smell.

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    Creed's Millesime Imperial is very nice too - although a tad on the expensive side.
    I purchased a sample on ebay today. Hopefully it will arrive in the next few days.

Dependent

Versace Blue Jeans is great. That being said, i think you should sample these:

Dior Eau Sauvage
    Dior Fahrenheit
    YSL M7
    Gucci Envy Men
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Virgin Island Water
    Creed Original Santal

These are pretty "non-typical" and great all-round scents IMO

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post

3 Classic scents in contradistinction:

Aramis: 1-2 shots, not joking. IMO, this is as much a business suit scent as a guy on a motorcycle or in a sports/muscle car...don't overdo it!

Azarro Pour Homme

Halston Z-14 (Tom Ford's "Italian Cypress" makes this "cheapo" slightly niche without trying).

I was at a party this weekend with my wife. There was a 62 year old man there my uncle by marriage...wearing Givenchy Blue Label...to put things in perspective...I have since bumped into this scent again...on another guy in his sixties...gift from his daughter? Grandaughter? Who cares?

If aquatics are the new "Old Spice" why not wear the original?
    Last edited by ortho123; 4th August 2009 at 08:46 PM.

Im really loving the Jil Sander Man Pure, except im finding the longevity is not good.

I also received my Creed Millesime Imperial sample. It's not what im looking for. It reminds me a lot of CK One. Or rather, CK one reminds me of creed...whatever. Either way, it's too unisex.

As for Old Spice, i do like the smell but it's so familiar to everyone that its hard to make it your own scent. I smell it on people, and i instantly picture them buying it in the store thinking to themselves "old spice..im gonna get my grown man on".

I'll try out Aramis, Givenchy, Azzaro and Halston. Thanks

The samples arrived the other day. There's a lot of them. I've tried:

Bvlgari Black : Didnt like it at all. It was way too sweet. Reminded me of joop jump.
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla : Was extremely sweet when i sprayed it on. It dried down to something slightly less sweet, but still was disgusting in my opinion.
    Aramis Havana : I LOVED this! Smelt nice when i put it on, and it dried down to a very manly (but not too manly) fragrance. Except apparantly it has phthalates in it..which makes it a no-no. Unfortunately.
    Green Irish Tweed : I didn't realise this was aqua-smelling fragrance. Usually i dont like them, they smell too frat-boy and clichéd, but i really liked this.
    Last edited by mazammit; 10th August 2009 at 02:49 PM.

The first three scents I thought of were:
    - Dzing! by L'Artisan - the smell of a leather jacket
    - Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens - that's how smelled man from old black and white movies - cigarettes!
    - Idole by Lubin - Captain Jack Sparrow would love it!

Depends on how much you can spend, I'm from Poland and don't know much about the prices in your country. I'm sure you will not find around many men smelling like you.

Michael for Men is often to be found at great prices on ebay and is a very high quality AND wearable tobacco frag, but it's nicely blended with other great notes.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post

Right you are! And as a girl I want to advice you COOL WATER GAME - Davidoff. It is unussual smell!!!!
    _____________________________---
    I like funny computer wallpaper
    Last edited by olla86; 31st August 2009 at 07:07 AM.
    Life is good!