Code of Conduct

Default Hypnotic Poison EDT & EDP Review: A Truly Unisex Vanilla Gourmand/Oriental!

I'm usually lazy and not the type to often write up long winding reviews with flowery language, but I felt the need to point out that this is a truly excellent unisex gourmand/oriental, especially in the EDP Intense concentration.

Anyways, this pretty much has nothing to do with the original Poison. The regular EDT version of Hypnotic Poison, made by Annick Menardo who also gave us the wonderful and weird Patchouli 24, Bvlgari Black, and Bois d'Armenie, is a velvety bittersweet vanilla-almond oriental with coumarin, heliotrope, and some oakmoss to stop it from falling into the sweet-toothed-girl category. (Don't get me wrong though, HP *IS* very sweet, but it is so in an intelligent way and not teeny-sweet) I found the EDT to fall short and turn quite thin on the dry-down too quickly as well as being quite bland after a while, but it is still a great wear.

On the other hand, is the EDP Intense aka Hypnotic Poison Elixir, an EU-exclusive rework done by Francois Demachy. (Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir, Dior Homme Cologne, etc) In addition to the extra longevity and sillage along with the original base of HP, there is added notes of salty licorice and star anise. This new element makes the scent more complex, deeper, darker, slightly smokier, and more interesting -- making it formidable competition to heliotrope-heavy niche scents like Cuir Beluga. Overall, compared to the EDT, this is much more satisfying, especially for those of us who are deep into niche territory.

I would advise lovers of gourmand scents who are hesitant to test female fragrances to give this one a try, and if possible, test the EDP as well. People who are not fond of coconut should be wary though as it is much more present in the EDT, but still isn't too much to be a nuisance. (I still don't think it smells like sun-screen!) Nevertheless, both are worth a try and can be had for a reasonable price.

So -- are there any fans out there?
    Last edited by moltening; 29th July 2009 at 07:26 PM.

Default Re: Dior Hypnotic Poison EDT & EDP Intense: A Vanilla Oriental That's Not Just for Wo

Not quite a fan yet, but that can always change I *must* check these out the next time I head to a mall!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Smile Re: Hypnotic Poison EDT & EDP Review: A Truly Unisex Vanilla Gourmand/Oriental!

I agree with your point,I am a boy,I use EDT,not feeling so sweety ,smelling like cherry+almond ,but i am not satisfied with its sillage and living.so short.about 3 hours,manbe,i will buy EDP

Default Re: Hypnotic Poison EDT & EDP Review: A Truly Unisex Vanilla Gourmand/Oriental!

I wear my mom's Hypnotic Poison (EDT) sometimes, and yes I love it, and to be frankly it's a unisex that leans towards feminine side, nevertheless a fragrance that makes you feel very confident.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I've been a member of its fanclub since 1998.

I own and wear both versions with pride!

Welcome 深谷兰 ... cool name, whatever it means!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Hypnotic Poison EDT & EDP Review: A Truly Unisex Vanilla Gourmand/Oriental!

I still haven't smelled the Elixir. I never see it anywhere I see the EdT.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    I still haven't smelled the Elixir. I never see it anywhere I see the EdT.
    Read the original post - the Elixir is exclusive to Europe.

I have never tried the EDP either, but the pure parfum is delicious

I only know the EdP and it's awesome but it's too unisex/femine for me to wear.

Tried Hypnotic Poison and for me it was far to cloying, I feel like Midnight Poison is a better alternative for myself for that reason.

Thanks to Mr. Duc, I blind bought the Elixir, and am so glad I did! It is AWESOME! Too bad the atomizer spray that comes with it is absolute garbage. I just bought an atomizer from Sephora and put it in that, so I can finally spray it on me instead of dab. Will definitely buy it again when it runs out. Yum Yum!
    I'm not your toy.