Code of Conduct

Default Dating Guerlain Shalimar

Hey!

I just won 1 oz. of vintage Guerlain Shalimar on eBay.

Can anyone give a estimate of when it was produced?

Here's the link eBay auction that I won

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Dating Guerlain Shalimar

Thanks for your reply.

I have read that site, but I still can't quite figure it out, but I probably will when I get it home

My best guess is somewhere in the 50's 60's?

Yes, I think it prob is pre 1980s. There should be some date stamp on the box so you can take a look at that when it reaches your hands.
    Or you can PM Mr Guerlain to offer some insight.

I believe this packaging was definitely 50s/60s. The member Mr Guerlain would most certainly be able to give you a clearer idea.
    Lovely purchase by the way

Thanks

I've send a private message to Mr. Guerlain.

Can't wait to receive it!

I was actually watching this too yesterday.. the price shot up drastically during the last few hours

By the way, since it's my first vintage Guerlain purchase, what do you guys think about the price?

I know it's stupid, but i've never smelled shalimar. I'm in love with Musc Ravageur and everything about shalimar sounds like it's a perfect fit for me, despite it's marketed as a female fragrance. I believe fragrances aren't bound to genders.

I've read these usually go for 170USD so I think I have gotten a fair deal.

the kind Mr. Guerlain messaged me that this version has been produced from '67 to '83 and thinks it's somewhere from the 70's.

Really happy and can't wait to receive it

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    By the way, since it's my first vintage Guerlain purchase, what do you guys think about the price?

I know it's stupid, but i've never smelled shalimar...
    Wow, you've never smelled Shalimar, so you blind bought vintage parfum? How courageous of you!

I blind bought new Eau de Cologne, and this was the first Shalimar I ever smelled. The EDC has this strong kick in the top notes (bergamot) that really threw me and I really didn't like it the very first time I smelled it. I didn't pay much for it ($30+) so I kept the bottle and retested it in a couple of weeks, and slowly-but-surely I started to like it every day more and more. Now I love it.

Since falling for the EdC, I have tested the Eau de Parfum (intensely animalic...and more powdery) and the parfum. The parfum is strange, since it wears very close to the skin on me. It is not strong in sillage, but it lasts forever. Perhaps I missed the diffusion and overall brightness of the EdC, but the parfum was a little disappointing to me actually. Unlike Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit parfum, which I love!

Nonetheless, if I were to buy vintage Shalimar parfum, I would buy the exact same one you bought. Vintage is always a good choice when it comes to Guerlain vintage fragrances.

Do yourself a favor and give your new parfum at least 3 - 4 wearings before you decide whether you like it or not.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Dependent

its defo very bold to buy a scent uve nvr tried prior at such a price, but i guess the vintage value is reason enough?

And even on a student budget...

Ah well, you only live once and I know that by reading one doesn't know how a fragrance will smell, everything about shalimar reads as if I will like it, plus I love fragrances associated with shalimar.

If after a dozen or so wearings I absolutely detest it, I still have a wonderful girlfriend who is going to smell a whole lot better than Davidoff Cool Water Woman, yuk.

Can't wait

I'm piping in to say I am pretty confident you will love it. Congratulations. It's a luscious scent, more of an experience than a perfume. Enjoy.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Listen, 120 $ for Shalimar extrait from the seventies is a bargain (at least for a European )! I assure you: Shalimar from the seventies has NOTHING to do with the current version - it's ABSOLUTELY divine! VERY resinous, very dark, almost mineral, medicinal vanilla, deep, smoky, buttery incense, temple dust - I could go on! If you like Guerlain, you'll LOVE this one! Please report back.

Dependent

robert, so would you say its a "collector" or "enthusiast" decision. more pleasures looking at or wearing on(taking into acount uve yet to try it). i was talking to another member about itand left me thinking. i would find it hard to bear to wear, but being the cheapo i am , i prob wouldnt go to the extend on spending that much on anything just an ounce. my question is: is it not worthy/waste of time personally for me to harbor thoughts of collecting something for novelty sake which may lead to being labeled: id buy something really ex/rare just so i can show off and kill the big picture of enjoying the juice., im sure i cant be the only one who would love to buy something rare now and then just to satisfy my own displaying pleasures. your purchase is enviable btw. and i've yet to have anything display worthy by many standards.
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th June 2009 at 06:45 AM.

Definitely "enthusiast"

I have no problem whatsoever in opening the seal and testing the juice
    Whilst still respecting the heritage of Guerlain and such, but life is too short to keep this bottle on a shelf and telling people; "Look at this, it's SUPER rare" and then never proceed to wear it.

Shipping is taking long tho

It'll probably any day now, International shipping is totally random with their times.

4 weeks later and the shalimar extrait is still on it's way.

The seller and me assume it's being held up by customs because of the package containing fluids

annoying thing is the post services can't tell where it is and suggest to wait it out. Pretty annoying.

Seller has been nothing but nice tho, responding to mail quickly and contacting USPS.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Cant wait for you go get it. I started cruising the bay for shalimar too, and I like you have never smelled it :P

I'm still waiting on the vintage Guerlain Shalimar (1oz) Extrait that was sent to me from the United States (June 1st).

This is the last week I'm waiting, the seller has already agreed to give me a refund, but we're waiting this week out to see if maybe it will arrive. (crosses fingers).

I can't understand though if it doesn't arrive, where it is now, I mean, they aren't going to destroy vintage Guerlain?!?! Strangest thing is that the USPS can't give a clear answer as to where the package is!
    Last edited by robbert; 13th July 2009 at 02:57 PM.

It's terrible to hear that it hasn't come yet - and that it may be lost somewhere. Such an old beauty! But still keep up the hope, it really should be somewhere and I can't imagine they'd really stop it. Do you know how it was declared? I always ask the seller to write something innocent, like "glass figurine" or something...

He declared it as perfume and liquid, and filled in everything appropiately.

It can't take 6 weeks right? I get mail from the US quite a lot lately and they seem to take 2 to 4 weeks usually.

Is it normal that the USPS can't give the whereabouts of the package? I've never encountered this problem with mail in The Netherlands.

this is very stupid of him to do.
    if it is declared as perfume than it is not allowd to be imported.
    Becuse of the alcohol they consider it as DANGEROUSE GOODS.

look @ this here http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232134
    Last edited by moreda; 14th July 2009 at 02:03 PM.

I did bought some perfumes from Ebay and the seller (from US) declared them as 'parfums' in the declaration form.
    Strange thing was that they were still shipped via air.

within the same country or continet it seems to be ok.
    But not OVERSEA'S..... i think this is the biggest problem with shipping perfumes.

Thats the strange part.. I live in Singapore (South-east Asia)

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    He declared it as perfume and liquid, and filled in everything appropiately.
    Never, ever have a seller declare the item as perfume. I'm sad to say but there's a very good chance your item got seized since it is simply prohibited to ship perfume overseas.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

This is what I want to know - when you ship perfumes overseas - do they X ray packages ? Do they know you are 'lying' when you declare perfume as something else ? I really am not comfortable with sending perfume overseas because I like to know the product will actually get there !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

The parfum still hasn't arrived, so today the seller has kindly refunded the money (including shipping).

I'm very sad I didn't get to smell the shalimar extrait , I probably won't smell it in the near future, because I'm going to art school, living on myself, funds won't allow new perfume.

I'm glad though I've build a decent wardrobe and won't run out perfume any time now.

Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me on the shalimar extrait and I hope I will smell it in the future.

At last!

It has arrived! It dates 1967

I mailed the seller to pay back the money.

I can't believe it took 2 months but finally I have it in my hands

I'm not going to open it yet, as I'm thinking of maybe selling it, but I have not decided on it yet.
    Last edited by robbert; 29th July 2009 at 12:13 PM.

Huh? Why did you buy it if you're going to sell it off immediately?
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Well I'm still in doubt.

Since I've bought it, 2 months ago, I've been accepted to a school for which I'm moving and I'm going to live on myself. Also my girlfriend and I decided to go on a holiday. And my bicycle got stolen this week.

A lot of expenses, but I still haven't decided though on wether to use it, store it, or sell it.
    Last edited by robbert; 31st July 2009 at 05:21 AM.