Code of Conduct

Default Vanilla Wood / Woody Vanilla

Can anyone help in my search for a woody vanilla ?

Just a simple vanilla'd wood. Worn maself out on this search.

Default Re: Vanilla Wood / Woody Vanilla

Givenchy Play Intense

Macys has it and it is surpisingly good and longevity is great for me.

A tad of A*Men mixed with some Bulgari Black is how I see it. Very cozy and easy to like IMO.

Notes:
    Top notes: Bergamot and mandarin orange.
    Middle notes: Amyris wood, pink pepper, and coffee wood accord.
    Base notes: Labdanum, tonka bean, vetyver, and patchouli.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 29th July 2009 at 03:44 PM.

Montale Bois Vanille

I don't care for it, because it isn't enough Vanilla and too much wood, but hey it fits what you're looking for to a tee.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

That's an idea - will give it a try.
    Now that I think of it maybe straight vanilla & Bvl black .... hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Givenchy Play Intense

Macys has it and it is surpisingly good and longevity is great for me.

A tad of A*Men mixed with some Bulgari Black is how I see it. Very cozy and easy to like IMO.

Notes:
    Top notes: Bergamot and mandarin orange.
    Middle notes: Amyris wood, pink pepper, and coffee wood accord.
    Base notes: Labdanum, tonka bean, vetyver, and patchouli.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Montale Bois Vanille

I don't care for it, because it isn't enough Vanilla and too much wood, but hey it fits what you're looking for to a tee.

You can also try Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens -- it's the opposite of Montale -- more vanilla and softer woods.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    You can also try Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens -- it's the opposite of Montale -- more vanilla and softer woods.
    True, but the addition of coconut makes it a little more feminine IMO. That's no reason to not sample it though.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

You should sample Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere and Felanilla. Especially the Felanilla. Delicious.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Offrez-Lui by Galimard

Cedar and vanilla in the base of Adidas Victory League. There is also a grass note that is prominent for a while, before the base takes over (and some other notes that are not as strong).

Somebody correct me if I'm off base here but I think L'Occitane Eau de Baux has vanilla in the base. The top is smoky/woody (I think -- only tested it in passing).
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Been looking @ that. How's Felanilla on the femme ?

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    You should sample Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere and Felanilla. Especially the Felanilla. Delicious.
    Last edited by SoGent; 29th July 2009 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Been looking @ that. How's Felanilla on the femme ?
    No problem there. I firmly believe a guy can pull it off, I know I do. It's truly unisex IMO.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Alrighty then .... gonna give it a shot Thanks

No problem there. I firmly believe a guy can pull it off, I know I do. It's truly unisex IMO.

MMMMMMM Cadjmere.... (spoken in the voice of Homer Simpson )

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Seconded. And it is quite wearable by men who like vanilla. Coconut doesn't really compromise it for men IMHO, in the sense that it doesn't make Creed's Virgin Island Water unwearable by men.

Somebody correct me if I'm off base here but I think L'Occitane Eau de Baux has vanilla in the base. The top is smoky/woody (I think -- only tested it in passing).
    You are correct. Along with tonka bean. "Wooded" with cypress. A beautiful scent, IMO.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

huge fan of Montale's Bois Vanille

Pi?

Santal Noble. Le Male if you want something more mainstream. Pi Neo is another option.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Another fan of Montale Bois Vanille. You must try this one. It is fun, cute, and very enjoyable vanille woody scent.

hmm
    I would try Egoiste
    mainly the vintage formulation
    exceptional
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Agreed about what has been said about Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille. It's a very enjoyable, rich coconut vanilla turning to caramel-y vanilla; but I do wish that the woods would kick in a bit more prominently.

L'Eau des Baux, mentioned before, is wonderful and quite original. Highly recommended!

thanks - will give that a try. I picked up on your recommendation of Ambre 114 & that is really good ish. Will see if lightnin strikes twice.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    Another fan of Montale Bois Vanille. You must try this one. It is fun, cute, and very enjoyable vanille woody scent.

Samples of Bois Vanille on the way & looks like another trip to the mall for L'Occitane

Quote Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
    Agreed about what has been said about Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille. It's a very enjoyable, rich coconut vanilla turning to caramel-y vanilla; but I do wish that the woods would kick in a bit more prominently.

L'Eau des Baux, mentioned before, is wonderful and quite original. Highly recommended!

Just saw this at Luckyscent - Vanille Sauvage de Madagascar by La Maison de la Vanille. It's well reviewed and I like the name. Would love to try this as well.

L'Occitane Baux is a nice, simple and dry vanilla scent. It's cheap, and it stays on the skin so damn long :P Not as amazing as Montale Bois Vanille, but it's ok if you wanna buy one

Definitely a +1 for Parfumerie Generale - Felanilla for a great balance of vanilla & woods!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    Pi?
    yes indeed...this to me is the simplest expression of wood and vanilla there is
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Now for the 1st round of eliminations :

Montale Bois Vanille vs SL Un Bois Vanille

Montale = plenty of wood but little if any vanilla + the iris

SL = plenty of vanilla but very little sandalwood or gaiac on the drydown.

This round goes to Un Bois Vanille. It may be easier to spike with a wood tone.

M. Micallef, Note Vanillee is very nice. Opens a bit boozy but the sandalwood and vanilla are the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Definitely a +1 for Parfumerie Generale - Felanilla for a great balance of vanilla & woods!
    Here's a third vote for Felanilla. I'm testing it tonight, and I agree with the guys that it is appropriate for either sex. It's great!

Guerlain Bois de Armenie is a very nice incense and patchouli wood scented vanilla that is more of woods and incense than vanilla, but in the end it is a vanilla scent. After all this is Guerlain!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Vanilla Wood / Woody Vanilla

For a simple and inexpensive yet good quality men's vanilla try Molinard Homme II. Very nice and lasting fragrance by a very old french fragrance house.

I fully intend on sampling all suggestions .... just thot I'd ride this dead horse a little further
    in case in contributed in some way for anyone else.

Habit Rouge EDP

Come to think of it, Vanilla Spice by Lavanila is a nice dry, woody vanilla (I mostly got 'woody', not 'spicy') and quite unisex. The line is available at Sephora; you'll find the fragrances either on the perfume 'wall' or at one of the center aisles, with the body products.

Here are the notes that the company lists for Vanilla Spice - Nutmeg, sandalwood, cardamom, Madagascar vanilla
    Last edited by kess; 7th August 2009 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks Kess . . . . Have noticed that one a few times but blew right by it for some reason.
    Will give it a shot.

Come to think of it, Vanilla Spice by Lavanila is a nice dry, woody vanilla (I mostly got 'woody', not 'spicy') and quite unisex.

Here are the notes that the company lists for Vanilla Spice - Nutmeg, sandalwood, cardamom, Madagascar vanilla

2nd round elimination ends in a tie.
    The two contenders = Indult's Tihota & Ginestet Le Boise.

Opinions :

Le Boise - Absolutely love this one. At the top end the dry cedar / oak note with a slight 'wine' tinge is glorious. Dry and smooth.

Midway of this trip - a little incense begins to seep through and it begins to remind me somewhat of Straight to Heaven & Pure Oud by Kilian.

However, it's downhill from there - not with the scent itself but its lightness meaning no staying power and no sillage.

More intensity and longevity and this would be a keeper. Higher dosage levels MAY help I suppose.

Tihota - This one is an outstanding vanilla fragrance.
    So good, it begins to give Guerlain's SDV a run for its money IMO - the big difference being the inclusion of 'smoke' in SDV, which is the SDV downfall as far as I'm concerned.
    Personally, I'm beginning to think that smoke notes are playing out - at least I hope so. For me, their time has come and gone since so many are / have done it.

I've read that Tihota projects a sort of vanilla cake aura - that IS true but the waft is only slightly so. Not overly sweet and it is pretty linear. For me, the drydown reveals a dry vanilla and leaves an 'amber' note originally present behind.

One note I pick up on is a sort of 'berry' tone which I haven't heard or seen mentioned before. It could just be my skin @ this particular point in time but I can't imagine how.
    Either way, this is good stuff - for a relatively single note vanilla.

One a scale of 1 - 10, I'm giving it an 8 on intensity or strength a 7 in the longevity department as well as a 7 for projection / sillage.

This round ended in a tie simply because I can see uses and merits in both. Completely different animals in my book.

For the purposes of this lil exercise, Tihota would need the inclusion of wood to meet what I'm looking for while Le Boise would need more vanilla & I'm not quite sure which would be easier to 're-characterize'.
    Last edited by SoGent; 9th August 2009 at 06:23 PM.

Blog Entries

PG - Aomassai is this with caramel & a little warm licorice note which makes it a nice 'round' frag.
    Costes, it seems to me is pretty much exactly this.

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Vanilla Wood / Woody Vanilla

I will second the Aomassai suggestion. It is magnificent! I got a sample of this thanks to kumquat and found it awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    PG - Aomassai is this with caramel & a little warm licorice note which makes it a nice 'round' frag.
    Costes, it seems to me is pretty much exactly this.

I 3rd Aomassi, if you end up sampling it just make sure to let it drydown for an hour or so to let the over-the-top caramel topnotes fade and the woody to come through. Other than that it's fantastic.

Thanks to all 3 of you. Aomassai goes on the test list.

Have tried Costes - but looks like I need to break it out & try again for this purpose.

try le labo 44. Its got soft vanilla with woods! To bad it cost so much.

The 3rd chapter in this search is to compare L’Occitane Eau des Baux with Parfumerie Generale Aomassai - 1st trial for each :

L’Occitane Eau des Baux - (cypresswood, tonka bean, vanilla, incense, cardamom and coumarin)

Initial application revealed a fairly heavy vanilla note, dry but nice.
    The transition leads - fairly quickly (10 min.) - to the reported incense note combined with what seems to be the courmarin.
    Meh …. it’s ok but nothing to really swoon over.

This so-so excursion then seems to just drop into the cypresswood note and that’s where it gets a little strange to my nose.

Owning several iterations of deer musk and aoud / musk mixtures and knowing full well
    how ‘urinous’ they can be sometimes - it isn’t something easily forgotten - I was blown
    away by that some urine tone in the bottom end. It isn’t off putting or obnoxious, it just wasn’t something I was expecting.

Thinking about it for a bit, it’s possible that it could be a rotten wood smell or tone. I’ve encountered that scent out in the woods from time to time and it’s the only
    thing my experiences can conjure up. It’s a little odd to me though for sure.

As this one has dried down & settled in, it seems to switch back and forth between
    a ‘smoke’ note and that sort of urine/rotten wood scent, even more odd - between these
    shifts the scent is emitting a type of floral note.

I’m thinking this one needs another test - this just isn’t right somehow. A ‘manly’ scent ? . . . . ummm OK but that sucker hasn’t bathed in a few days and he’s been
    stalking in an old growth forest. Is that me ? Some days but NOT everyday for sure.

An hour later and Baux has settled into a ‘modified’ wood more along the lines of what I am looking for. Very little Vanilla at that point though. Was hoping for more.

Parfumerie Generale Aomassai - (caramel, toasted hazelnuts, licorice, bitter orange, spices, wenge wood, vetiver, balsam wood, incense, dried grasses, resins)

Several people visiting this call for help recommended this one so it had to be given a test. Mtgprox05, however, suggested giving it a good bit of time to get to the ‘good stuff’
    and not immediately be put off by the caramel / toffee top notes. Geez was he right. I don’t mind the overly sweet smell of caramel but good lord NOT something
    I wanna smell like. My goodness that’s strong.

Thankfully the caramel backed off fairly quickly and moved into - what I presume to be - the hazelnut / spice notes. That was kind of interesting and I kinda liked it really
    (hmmmm,maybe I should be looking for a nutty vanilla instead of woods).

Midway into the progression, a strange note began to take over - the licorice / orange maybe ? Not annoying, more like ‘here we are careening down the road chock full
    of caramel / marshmallows / nuts and spices then - ooops, make a hard left at the last
    second’. A little odd & nicely different but the combinations became pretty feminine
    in my estimation.

About an hour into this trip and the ‘woods’ made their appearance perfectly clear.
    Wenge ? Possibly, I wouldn’t know. Balsam - oh yeah, for sure.
    The drydown though - on my skin - seems to end up as a balsam / vanilla combination and I’m torn. Why ? There seems to be a ‘fruit’ note mingled in there somewhere.
    I wouldn’t say it’s the orange. I suppose it could be a licorice remnant as odd as that
    sounds. Ultimately this one is a little bit of a ‘twisted vanilla’ for me and sort of reminds
    me of Sephora fr Mysterieuse which is a vanilla / patchouli.

This one I like but this round goes to Eau des Baux.

Sogent, keep letting the Eau des Baux drydown. A few hours after applying it becomes mostly beautiful vanilla. I don't however, get anything urinous out of it and I'm pretty sensitive to that kind of stuff. (Whew, it is not an easy task to type that much on a PS3, lol)

I am surprised no one has mentioned Rochas Lui. Awesome stuff and very affordable. Wood and vanilla.

4th Chapter is to compare PG's Cadjmere with Felanilla :

Cadjmere - A little odd at first, but a right nice 'nilla. It quickly slides into - what I belive to be - one of the nicest, smoothest sandalwoods I have ever experienced.
    @ the drydown - + an hour later, the sandalwood maintains while the vanilla twists it slightly to add sweetness. I'm liking this one A LOT. The closest to my mind's eye so far. I could definitely live with this one for sure.

Felanilla - ODD . . . . just odd. Fairly heavy vanilla to begin with then quickly moves into one of the strangest, astringently 'floral' (it's the best I could do for a description) that does absolutely nothing for me. I just can't wear this one. If more vanilla were added to Mark Buxton's Hot Leather it would = Felanilla at this point. After about 3 hours, it ultimately ends @ a nice vanilla with a wood tone mix. VERY nice, but since the journey is just as important as the destination to me - this one is a no go.

Obvious winner - Cadjmere & at the top of the list so far.
    Last edited by SoGent; 20th August 2009 at 04:23 AM.