Code of Conduct

Default Are your scents varied or similar?

I've just today noticed that 70% of my scents have some variant of citrus in them (Varvatos Artisan, Jo Malone Lime/Basil/Mandarin, Polo Purple Label, Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer, and others) whereas 20% are some clean/aquatic (Bvlgari Aqva, Green Irish Tweed, Bvlgari PH Extreme, Prada Infusion d'Homme, etc.) with 10% being sorta my "odd' scents with gourmands mixed in.

But I'm drawn to citrus scents... they work well on my skin. Am I wrong to have such a skew in my collection? Am I the only one? Just wondering...

Default Re: Are your scents varied or similar?

If your happy doing what you've been doing - then just continue. I like a huge variety so I can pick the SOTD to match one of my many moods of the day.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    I'm drawn to citrus scents... they work well on my skin. Am I wrong to have such a skew in my collection? Am I the only one? Just wondering...
    I too am drawn to citrus as I find them to be really pleasant to the nose and hard not to like. So you are DEFINITELY not the only one

When i started off my plan was to build a wardrobe with a variety of frags from different categories. Almost 7 months later i just buy whatever i like. Although i try to get frags that smell too similar. Strangely i still can't shake off my love for fresh, citrus and aquatic frags.

I try to have a good range different scents....but seem to have alot of Vetyver scents!

Mine unfortunately are a lot alike. As with everything else I'm quite picky so my summer frags usually consist of a lot of greens and spices and whatnot. Then for fall and winter a lot of deep, rich amber and woody notes with some spice. I'm trying to broaden my horizons so maybe in the future I'll find more types that I like

I went thru and cross referenced with the Michael Edwards categories and found I have a LOT of Woody Orientals . . . probably a hangover from the 70s when Patchouli and Sandalwood Oils filled the air in NZ. The last few years, and paricularly since arriving here, I have been exploring other styles - most recently floral, particularly rose, which until recently I would not have even looked at (being a guy 'n all). No. 88, Black Aoud and more recently Hommage, AdP Profumo and Lyric Woman have all opened my mind - the journey continues.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 29th July 2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling - not a strong point

Basenotes Institution

Variety is the spice of life, as they say. Therefore my life is very spicy.

About half of them quite similar, but with a few bits and pieces standing out.

The majority of mine seem to be deep & dark so I guess I'm becoming a one trick pony.
    It's kinda pizzin me off.

Off-Scenter

My wardrobe is highly varied and eclectic, and I like to have at least one good representative of each of the major fragrance types on hand. That said, I do keep a lot of leathers and very few aquatics.

Sur la Plage

Quite varied - all over the map.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 29th July 2009 at 07:28 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Ha, "eclectic" - a perfect description for my wardrobe (thanks to Vibert - now I know "eclectic" exists in English, too).

All the scents have one thing in common, though: They're too expensive. :-)

My scents are all varied

I have a large variety.

Life's too short to have too many similar fragrances. Citrus, woody, orientals, vetiver, gourmands...I want a variety of them all! My moods change, the weather changes, occasions are different. Why shouldn't my fragrances?
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 29th July 2009 at 06:41 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Wow... some rather cool answers. Just wish that I could say that all varieties were applicable to what I liked on me though. However, I have a lot to learn. A ton to experience.

Varied as can be! Hopefully it will continue to do so!

Varied.

Although I think I lean toward citrus scents as well.

I don't think it is wrong to have a bias toward a certain style of scent.

I would just say keep an open mind and try things outside what you feel "safe" with. One might find some fragrances work for you which would otherwise be ignored.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 29th July 2009 at 07:07 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Varied representation of many types to match season / occasion.

I have tried, and enjoy a variety of fragrances, but most of my wardrobe leans toward barbershop-type scents such as Rive Gauche. Those are the ones I enjoy most.

According to a friend they all smell weird or like smoke.

Not too much variety here. A lot of my scents have the Incense/Amber/Woods/Musk theme going.

Oh, and spices, too. I adore Lorenzo Villoresi's style quite a bit.
    Last edited by Amit; 29th July 2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: forgot to add

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

some of the scents I have either rosewood or carnation since I am drawn to colognewith these notes.

but most is varied for sure

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Eclectic...and also all over the place.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Originally was gonna buy like one from each category... a few months later about 90% are sweet orientals.

I had a better balance in the past where as now I'm mostly buying colognes, citrus chypres, or aromatic fougeres. Haven't bought an oriental or a gourmand for months.

I started off buying what I liked, and found myself with a cupboard full of fougeres. So I deliberately set out to test and buy scents from Grant's Fragrance Selector - even if they weren't what I'd immediately go for.
    Later on I came across the men's H&R Chart, and would check any scent against it before purchasing, making sure the scents were scattered across the columns.

As a result, I don't wear fougeres all that often nowadays.

Here's the chart if you haven't seen it.
    http://redirectingat.com/?id=500X800..._Genealogy.pdf

Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 30th July 2009 at 09:48 AM.

Mine is quite varied. I try to find the best representation of each family.

I just keep things that smell good to me and when they don't anymore; I sell them.

I actually try to have a varied collection of around 30 scents.

If I sense that I have accumulated too many aquatic/fresh scents, I sell a few, or they just gather dust.

I never have many orientals; not my favorite scent family.

Gourmands are my least favorite...I just sold Rochas Man...again. Sweet scents don't belong in my 'drobe, other than John Varvatos and Dior Homme, which are slightly sweet.

My current dispersion:

Fresh/Aquatic Scents: 50% (Creed SMW & GIT, GIO)

Chypre/Woody/Green Types: 35% (TF Italian Cypress, TDH, Paco Rabanne, Bond Central Park)

Oriental Scents: 15% (Code, Attitude, Varvatos, Dior Homme)

There ya go!

I have a ton of aquatic and fresh scents, because I usually end up wearing them for three fourths of the year. One of these days I'm going to have to cut down everything except my very favourites - my frag cabinet is starting to get very full! Then I'll be sure to balance my wardrobe.

Varied.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

24% Dry Woods (Leather/Tobacco)
    21% Woody Oriental
    20% Aromatic (Fougere)
    9% Woods
    8% Citrus
    7% Mossy Woods (Chypre)
    5% Soft Oriental (Amber)
    4% Oriental
    1% Soft Floral & Floral
    1% Green & Water
    0% Fruity & Floral Oriental
    _____
    100%
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 31st July 2009 at 04:39 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Nice one TwoRoads - specifics are good! Inspired me to dig back into where I did that exercise. This was a few months ago and it did point me towards exploring some other genres - fougere, citrus and floral particularly.

Green 3 %
    Water 3 %
    Mossy Woods 4 %
    Aromatic Fougeres 5%
    Citrus 9%
    Oriental 13 %
    Dry Woods 13 %
    Floral 13 %
    Woods 15 %
    Woody Oriental 22 %

My Wardrobe:
    90% of Stuff I Enjoy
    10% of Stuff I'm Trying to Offload or Swap

Pretty varied but leaning toward brutish heavy hitters...

All over the place. However, I've definitely moved away from powerhouses and more into the citrus/fougere side the past year.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

A lot of orientals, but from here on I'm trying to get 1 or 2 frags that are the best of a genre. Will take me a while though

I prefer deep, rich, warm, resinous, leathery, smoky, spicy, vanillic, ambery fragrances. I can also go for something really green.

I really enjoy most types of scents, but I'm not wild about ozonic/fresh/aquatic with a musky detergent drydown...

Very varied. When I got started I was mostly into Orientals, but then Chypres, Florals and all kinds of subgroups started to creep into my wardrobe...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

My collection is somewhat varied ... too many florals if anything.
    Not sure how to categorize my scents but would say I have two unisex fruities (one creamy, one dry), a sweet fruity floral, unsweet greenish florals, and an oriental. I suppose. It seems I need more wood and spice.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Varied, i believe, but with a bias AGAINST aquatics and FOR the classics.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Similar, biased towards classics. I have some contemporary ones but I found out they are blended around classic concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Not too much variety here. A lot of my scents have the Incense/Amber/Woods/Musk theme going.

Oh, and spices, too. I adore Lorenzo Villoresi's style quite a bit.
    What he said.

They are extremely varied in type. And yet, they share a commonality of not being completely abstract accords. I need to be able to identify at least one or two of the ingredients/notes. And those notes have to be from nature and of very high quality. The zenith of this idea would be the simple and luxurious Amouage Homage, the nadir: Beyond Paradise for Men. This is probably why I have so much trouble with Fougeres, the perfect blending of lavender, coumarin and oak moss creates an accord that is so hermetic that I feel like I'm being suffocated by it. On the other hand, a rich, high quality oriental, like Vol de Nuit for example, that is mainly a base of labdanum, amber, incense and vanilla always feels organic to me, as the notes sort of melt into each other.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 8th August 2009 at 05:09 PM.

Need green scents in my life.

I have a definite bias towards green and clean/citrus scents. It's definitely the category where overlap is the least likely to make me not buy something. With the heavier stuff, the orientals, the really thick ambers, etc, I tend to go "eh, I've already got X" and not buy another. With the greens, cleans, and citruses, I feel like I can always use another (perhaps because they tend to be the most office-friendly, so I wear them 5 days a week, whereas my orientals and whatnot tend to only get play on nights out and the weekends and whatnot).

Post Re: Are your scents varied or similar?

I am all over the board, as I enjoy many different notes, and many different Perfumers interpretations of the notes, and the direction they are able to take them.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

i wont put them into categories, but most of my scents are pretty easy-wearing. I dont think I have anything rude, obnoxious, or very attention-getting in my drobe. I like it like that though.