Code of Conduct

Default Besides By Killian, Does Any Other Perfumer Publish Their Formula?

If you go to the By Killian website, an interesting feature is the listing of the Perfumer's Formula.

By formula, it gives the amount in grams of each raw material to compose a kilogram (of fragrant components, not stuff like alcohol, etc).

Go to the website and select any fragrance. Then click on 'To Discover the Perfumer's Formula'. For example, Straight to Heaven lists 9 ingredients in proportions from 5 grams to 300 grams. (See: http://www.bykilian.com/en/les_fragr...ght_to_heaven/ and click the link).

So... what do you think of conveying this information? Wonderful transparency? A gimmick? I would like to believe the former.

Any other houses convey similar levels of detail?

Default Re: Besides By Killian, Does Any Other Perfumer Publish Their Formula?

I've yet to see anyone else do that...but you still couldn't copy Kilian's formula from the info they give you...things like "White Musk", Dried Fruits Accord", and "Cedarwood Accord" are ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I've yet to see anyone else do that...but you still couldn't copy Kilian's formula from the info they give you...things like "White Musk", Dried Fruits Accord", and "Cedarwood Accord" are ambiguous.
    I am not suggesting some novice could copy it.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Sorry...my negativity was directed at the sheer gimmick of it all...it pretty much sums up to reading the ingredients on the side of packaged food...might give you a better insight as to what's inside, but you still wouldn't want to attempt it yourself.

Guerlain's Cologne du 68 has a list of all the notes, granted not measured.
    Evenstar

From the ingredients list of Straight to Heaven, I would have guessed it's a Michael Edwards "Woody Oriental - Crisp." Turns out it's a "Woods, Classical".
    =======
    As a beginner DIY perfumer with decent working knowledge of chemistry, even knowing all those ingredients out of context (in what concentration against alcohol please?) is meaningless.

Plus as someone already pointed above, what the hell is "Dried Fruit Accord?" or "White Musk"?

Eg if you look at White Musk sold by several different companies, and look at the ingredient list for that, you know it contains at least 20 different chemicals. Most of which I'm familiar with, but even the ability to produce a good copy of a "White Musk" would still be beyond me.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I am just curious but can someone come close to the real thing if that formula is used to mix the specified ingredients to recreate a fragrance?