Code of Conduct

Default What is the Best "aquatic/citrusy" Cologne?

Before registering, I was reading some of the reviews on this site and I see that most of you are quite tired of mainstream aquatic scents, lol... but I just wanna know which one you think is the best?

I've already decided to buy "DG, John Varvatos Artisan, and Diesal Fuel for Life" but I'm trying to buy a aquatic cologne for my two brothers, because the type of scent itself is whats "in" right now. One is going to be a senior in high school and the other is going to be a freshman.

I would just go with Abercrombie Fierce because it smells damn good and gets most ladies attention. The only thing stopping me is that it is really popular. I'm looking for something that smells just as good or better and maybe not as popular.

Everywhere I look, people on the forums say that all aquatics pretty much smell the same, but which one is the best?
    Last edited by Sex Panter; 30th July 2009 at 12:41 AM.

Dependent

Default Re: What is the Best "aquatic/citrusy" Cologne?

Hello and welcome! As far as mainstream aquatics and citrus go, I enjoy them as much as I do for other genres, niche or not. Here are a couple that have served me well, and are IMO best at what they do. Its ok to smell of something popular as long as its enjoyable

Acqua Di Gio - G. Armani
    Cool Water - Davidoff
    L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme - Issey Miyake
    Happy for men - Clinique
    Solo - Loewe
    CK One - Calvin Klein
    Aqua - Bvlgari
    Aqua Marine - Bvlgari
    Last edited by MFJ; 30th July 2009 at 12:48 AM.

Hello, and thanks

I see there is many.

do you have a personal favorite, or is there one in particular that gets the most compliments?
    Last edited by Sex Panter; 30th July 2009 at 12:52 AM.
    I work 60% of the time...

everytime

Dependent

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be Loewe Solo, coz its the least generic smelling. The ones that are sure to garner compliments are Acqua Di Gio and L'eau D'Issey pour homme.
    Also L'eau Par Kenzo pour homme is pleasant but not one of my faves. These are easily accessible and you should be able to get a good testing before you commit to a purchase

My two favorites are
    Versace Man Eau Fraīche and Aqua bvgari they both smell similar to me but i like the Versace better also Versace Homme but the latter not being my thing , too common.

A true aquatic: Creed Erolfa

Some fresh ones:
    Chanel Allure homme Sport
    Live Jazz
    Bulgari Aqua

Nothing wrong with mainstream aquatics! They have their time and place, and if you like em you like em. I've grown kind of tired with them, but I still enjoy wearing one every now and then.. especially on a hot day.

Issey Miyake's L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme is pretty much awesome. It's a fantastic citrusy/floral scent that garners a TON of compliments. Only problem being, it's as common as common can be. I smell it everywhere.

Bulgari Aqua is a fantastic aquatic... it lacks the citrus of many of the other choices, and instead goes straight for a marine scent. It's brother, Aqua Marine, does a much better job in terms of being Marine-y, but I think Aqua is a better scent overall. Both are worth sniffing, though.

I've gotten the most compliments, out of any scent in my wardrobe, for Aqua. I don't quite understand why, but it's a compliment getter for sure. It also lasts forever on my skin.

Cool Water, and Allure Homme Sport are also great and pretty inexpensive. I don't really know if they're the best choices for someone in high school, but they're worth a try.

Live Jazz is FANTASTIC, provided you enjoy the smell of Cilantro. It reminds me, upon application, of a really great fresh salsa. It lasts nicely, and is quite different.

For someone in highschool, Fierce or Acqua Di Gio are givens. Everyone pretty much enjoys them, and they're cheap and easy to find. Pretty boring, though, and everyone and their mom wears them.
    Last edited by alacious; 30th July 2009 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alacious View Post
    Nothing wrong with mainstream aquatics! They have their time and place, and if you like em you like em. I've grown kind of tired with them, but I still enjoy wearing one every now and then.. especially on a hot day.

Issey Miyake's L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme is pretty much awesome. It's a fantastic citrusy/floral scent that garners a TON of compliments. Only problem being, it's as common as common can be. I smell it everywhere.

Bulgari Aqua is a fantastic aquatic... it lacks the citrus of many of the other choices, and instead goes straight for a marine scent. It's brother, Aqua Marine, does a much better job in terms of being Marine-y, but I think Aqua is a better scent overall. Both are worth sniffing, though.

I've gotten the most compliments, out of any scent in my wardrobe, for Aqua. I don't quite understand why, but it's a compliment getter for sure. It also lasts forever on my skin.

Cool Water, and Allure Homme Sport are also great and pretty inexpensive. I don't really know if they're the best choices for someone in high school, but they're worth a try.

Live Jazz is FANTASTIC, provided you enjoy the smell of Cilantro. It reminds me, upon application, of a really great fresh salsa. It lasts nicely, and is quite different.

For someone in highschool, Fierce or Acqua Di Gio are givens. Everyone pretty much enjoys them, and they're cheap and easy to find. Pretty boring, though, and everyone and their mom wears them.

thanks. would you say the bolded could be worn by all ages?

would you say its better than adg?

everytime

Quote Originally Posted by Sex Panter View Post
    thanks. would you say the bolded could be worn by all ages?

would you say its better than adg?
    Perfume is very subjective. But the general consensus here is that Bulgari Aqua is a better frag than adg.

Bulgari Aqua can be worn by all ages.

Halston Unbound For Men. A better clone of AdG for 10-15 bucks.

Review

I think Bvlgari Aqva is everything AdG is and more.. and it can be worn by all ages easily with nobody making any snide "you smell like an old man" remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Perfume is very subjective. But the general consensus here is that Bulgari Aqua is a better frag than adg.

Comparing Aqua and AdG is really comparing apples and oranges (or aquatics and marines, as the case may be).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Comparing Aqua and AdG is really comparing apples and oranges (or aquatics and marines, as the case may be).
    Is there something wrong about my statement earlier ?

Yes. If you'd like to know what's wrong with it, I'll tell you.

Sur la Plage

Where exactly did anyone see JoNnY 4 "compare" these fragrances? He answered the OP's question about which one he thought was better.

BTW - I would also recommend Bulgari Aqua (not Aqua Marine though).
    Last edited by petruccijc; 30th July 2009 at 04:26 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

genvy5,

Trust me u don't need to tell me what's wrong with adg. I don't like it, i guess neither do u. I was just trying not to influence the OP to like/don't like a frag just because a lot of the veterans here don't like it. Like I mentioned "perfume is subjective". Sex Panter should have the freedom to buy whatever aquatic frag he wants for his brother.

petruccijc - Thanks for the support.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 30th July 2009 at 04:16 PM.

First of all, big giggle to the Anchorman shout-out in your username, SP.

I don't know too much about men's frag, but I know that a woman's opinion is often valued on these threads, so here goes....

Cool Water is the definitive men's aquatic for me, and I still think of it as the best. The bonus is that it is now easy to find and has been supplanted by AdG and Fierce in mass popularity, so it's more unique than it would have been 10 years ago.

An unexpected citrus is Eau de Guerlain, which opens with a wonderful burst of lemon and dries down into a traditional cologne smell.

I wouldn't worry too much about the scent you choose being "youthful." The wearers are youthful all on their own, they won't rapidly age before your eyes just because they wear a more manly scent!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

try Bulgari aqua

Getting close to the high end of niche, yet with a youthful touch: Hugh Parsons Blue and the Blu Mediterraneo Range by Acqua di Parma.

Bvlgari Aqua..definitely what you're looking for

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    First of all, big giggle to the Anchorman shout-out in your username, SP.
    It's misspelled for some reason?

Live Jazz is still the best aquatic IMO... unique, good longevity, dynamic (changing) smell from top to bottom, cheap. Also i've never understood asking what age group a cologne is for... or what one ladies love... like there's one scent out there (Sex Panter?) that is the epitome of dick wettage.

Millesime Imperial
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    It's misspelled for some reason?
    I noticed that yesterday

I was laughing as I was typing it and left out the "h" lol

But thanks for all the help.

I think I'm going to go with the Bulgari.

On a separate note...

Anybody experience Versace Man, D&G, and Gucci Envy?

Any opinions on the best one?

If it not too much to ask.

everytime

Is there something wrong about my statement earlier ?
    Well, I just thought that saying one is generally regarded as better than the other is next to meaningless when the scents in question belong to two different categories.

I find AdG to be the better blended scent, imo, but Aqua is definitely more unique and quite interesting. I just don't like it all that much. Too melancholy for a fresher scent - if I want melancholy I'd reach for DC1913 or NR for him.

I wasn't trying to get on your case or single you out or anything though JoNnY. I guess I should have chosen my words more carefully to avoid giving that impression.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Well, I just thought that saying one is generally regarded as better than the other is next to meaningless when the scents in question belong to two different categories.

I find AdG to be the better blended scent, imo, but Aqua is definitely more unique and quite interesting. I just don't like it all that much. Too melancholy for a fresher scent - if I want melancholy I'd reach for DC1913 or NR for him.

I wasn't trying to get on your case or single you out or anything though JoNnY. I guess I should have chosen my words more carefully to avoid giving that impression.
    No harm done SoS. Yours and a few other comments made it seem like I was a adg fan...which i strongly am not.

Sorry Sex Panter for going off topic a few times. Btw your nick rocks.

I figured the missing "h" was a typo.....Although, it has potential to be a joke all its own without the "h", too!

Linky for those poor people who have missed a gem of fragrance humour:

"60% of the time, it works every time"
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Sex Panter View Post

On a separate note...

Anybody experience Versace Man, D&G, and Gucci Envy?

Any opinions on the best one?

If it not too much to ask.
    This is an easy answer for me, but it is all too subjective! Gucci Envy(men) for me. Possibly my first, and top oriental still. Lovely fragrance, contemporary classic IMO

Well, after searching the forums... I came across Perry Ellis 360 Red

I heard its better than AdG and Halston. I haven't heard a negative thing about it at all.

But is it an aquatic? I am curious how it contains a cinnamon note and still is an aquatic

everytime

^^^Another Question:

Does 360 Red and Unbound smell similar enough to each other that you don't really need both?

everytime

Dependent

might wanna ask perfume4life, an ardent fan