Code of Conduct

Thread: Amouage Lyric

Default Amouage Lyric

First real wearing of this scent and I must say I am thoroughly enjoying it. I really don't understand all the "it's just rose" comments as I'm getting a nice helping of angelica, galbanum and other greenness still a couple hour of application. Nor does it come across as particularly feminine, to me. Perhaps it is just the soft and roundness of the composition, something that I've noticed with all of the Amouages I've tested; they have that roundness and softness that all natural scents do (although I am under no illusion that Amouage is all natural) .

I find that this one behaves a fair bit differently on open skin than it does on my chest. On open skin it is softer and tamer and all rather muted and the rose is more prominent while on my chest the green and musky elements from angelica & company are fairly prominent, at least equally so with the rose.

The only problem I have with the scent is that it is one of the few where I don't think the scent I"m smelling matches the packaging. Some scents are just perfectly reflected by their bottle - NR for him, Le Roy Soleil, L'Anarchiste, etc. If not the bottle, most scents at least smell the color of their juice (notable exception, Azzaro Visit!) but here I don't get a deep dark red rose. From the appearance of the bottle I'd expect to smell something like C&S's Dark Rose, but this is a far more transparent, green rose that smells as if it is still on the bush. I've heard many say they feel that Lyric Man is a dark and rich scent, and while it is undoubtedly rich I don't feel it is either dark or in any way opulent. I'd almost venture to say it's not even particularly formal, but straddles the line between formal and casual. Does anyone else feel this way about the scent not matching the bottle or the formality of the juice, or am I just crazy?

Either way, I love the scent. It is the most unique rose scent I've come across in that it avoids so many cliches when it comes to the masculine rose (or maybe I'm just so sick of the rose/oud combo thanks to Montale's endless variations on a theme). I have to give Amouage props for not going down the traditionally dark/spicy/pepper or oud path with their rose. Its details are subtle and hence why I think some just perceive rose - the rose is definitely prominent and less encumbered than in other compositions. I think this is because the notes that join the rose here are both fairly natural to the smell of a rose, stem and bush (the green notes) and that they are not rendered with a heavy hand.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 30th July 2009 at 11:54 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Amouage Lyric

a-ha - so you finally made a 180 degree turn on this one, as expected doesnt smell like baby wipes anymore eh?

With Lyric..i fear, once we get used to it, it'd be very difficult to appreciate other rose based fragrances. the simplicity of design is just too poetic...and the quality? well, it's an Amouage.
    Last edited by jenson; 30th July 2009 at 12:45 PM.

Haha, no, no baby wipe quality this time. It's amazing how different the opening is when applying just a tiny swipe or going with a proper application. Jenson, you are getting to know me and my tastes too well - first you recommended White Sea which is now one of my few 5 star scents (along with Lyric who just joined the ranks ) and you totally called the turnaround on Lyric. What should I try next? (please, something not so damned expensive! )

Another thing I noticed is that this scent seems to have therapeutic qualities. I was hit with more work and more stress this morning than I have been in a long time and I took it all in stride, remaining far calmer and more composed than usual. Does that have anything to do with Lyric? Well, I don't know, but it sure didn't hurt. It was almost a joy, in fact, as the stress related rising body temperature caused this to bloom in all its green musky rosiness (oh how I love that angelica note - it has a juniperesque quality but is muskier and green).

On top of that, last night was my first real wearing of it and I met a really fantastic girl whom I got to spend hours getting to know. That doesn't happen often to someone as reclusive and shy as I am. She didn't comment on the scent, and I had only a tiny dab on at the time, but it surely lended me some needed confidence. Granted, this might have had more to do with me taking the stressful morning in stride but I've got to give some of the credit to Lyric.

I like the song that Lyric sings!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 30th July 2009 at 01:55 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Dude..you gotta give yourself 5-6 sprays of Jubilation XXV....it's simply the best Incense based fragrance out there. smells like royalty.

Im yet to try Dia, Gold and Hommage...im sure i would fall for them too..
    Last edited by jenson; 30th July 2009 at 02:17 PM.

I'm not a big fan of Duchaufours work from the little of it I have experience with (Timbuktu is ok, Fleur De Liane is ok until the drydown) but I have a feeling L'Artisan has far more restraints when it comes to material costs. His style seems to be very complex blends with many notes that evolve along a single theme, slowly, but I find that the two I've tried kind of fall apart at the end and come across as overly synthetic. I take it that is not the case at all with XXV?

I'm planning on trying all of the Amouage scents, men's and women's, soon. Despite the early negative reports, I am really looking forward to Epic.

Even with only my limited exposure to the new Silver EDP, Lyric, and Reflection it is easy to tell this is a house apart from the rest. Amouage, along with the old MPG are two houses that seem distinctly separate from the rest when it comes to quality. Perhaps I should include M.Micallef in there as well, although it's hard to say yet. LesNez, too, seems to be far more natural than many. Creed sways wildly from one end of the quality spectrum to the other, and L'Artisan, TDC and others usually seem nicer, more complex and interesting but most often just as synthetic as the rest.

Now I have to ponder, do I order Parfum d'Habit blind, or do I order Lyric and eat ramen noodles for the whole of August? Or maybe I could peddle an unneeded organ and order them both. Hmm.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 30th July 2009 at 02:50 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

@ Jenson, If you try Homage, you will covet it. I recommend staying away unless you want to drop $350 on 12 oz. I'm coveting it as we speak.

Lyric is one of my favorite rose scents as well, I'm glad your opinon on it has changed! It's not dark like Black Aoud, not seductive like Rose 31, but it is projects this nice bright quality, like a rose in the garden early in the morning before the sun gets too hot. A little "green", dewy, and majestic.

If you're looking for Rose opulence, try Homage.

It's weird because of my personality and dress I really thought I'd gravitate towards a darker rose like Black Aoud, Dark Rose, No. 88, Attar (well, Attar isn't so dark but is not as bright as Lyric) etc - and while I like the darker roses none of them ever struck a chord with me the way Lyric has. I find the Montales to be just too rough, in general (although I haven't tried Black Aoud - I've tried many of their other oud/rose combos and found them lacking). Dark Rose by C&S is nice but i'm not super keen on the fruit notes and the rose is obscured a bit much by the bitter oud.. still though, I do like this and it may eventually move into my 'drobe as my darker rose scent.

What other dark rose scents should I try? Soon I'm going to try a full wearing of my M.Micallef Aoud sample, which on a quick test seemed to be a perfectly proportioned and refined-in-a-non-Montale-way oud/rose combo. I haven't tried all that many non-Montale darker roses, and would appreciate all recommendations.

While I look forward to trying more Amouage scents, I'm almost scared to. Not only will they leave me bankrupt - they'll make the majority of my wardrobe seem so pedestrian by comparison. This is one of the few brands that could turn me into a niche snob. Perhaps luckily, I can't afford it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Duchaufours work from the little of it I have experience with (Timbuktu is ok, Fleur De Liane is ok until the drydown) but I have a feeling L'Artisan has far more restraints when it comes to material costs. His style seems to be very complex blends with many notes that evolve along a single theme, slowly, but I find that the two I've tried kind of fall apart at the end and come across as overly synthetic. I take it that is not the case at all with XXV?
    funny...i didnt like Timbuktu myself but, liked Dzhogkha quite a lot though. with XXV..BD has delivered a scent par excellence. it's too good to be real. feel the dusty, coffee like bite in its opening...to it's luxurious plum/dates like frutiy mids to one of the "best" notes of frankincense and patchouli towards base...

Also, im told that the juice in the 30ml bottle (which i have) is inferior to the one that comes in the original package....how cud it possibly get better than this...apparently, it can...

mcjra: you said it buddy. better stay away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    @ Jenson, If you try Homage, you will covet it. I recommend staying away unless you want to drop $350 on 12 oz. I'm coveting it as we speak.
    Hey, if you have a source that can get me 12 ounces of Homage for $350, pleeeease hook me up. :bounce:
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Soon I'm going to try a full wearing of my M.Micallef Aoud sample, which on a quick test seemed to be a perfectly proportioned and refined-in-a-non-Montale-way oud/rose combo.
    Please hurry up and give Micallef Aoud Homme that full wearing. But be warned, once you go Micallef Aoud, you just may never go B(l)ack again
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Hey, if you have a source that can get me 12 ounces of Homage for $350, pleeeease hook me up. :bounce:

lol, yeh! how did i miss that

btw Sos, if you like dark rose based fragrances then you may want to try out ..(you may have already tried em out)
    Les Parfums de Rosine - Poussière de Rose
    Les Parfums de Rosine - Rose d'Homme
    Les Parfums de Rosine - Twill Rose

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Dude..you gotta give yourself 5-6 sprays of Jubilation XXV....it's simply the best Incense based fragrance out there. smells like royalty.

Im yet to try Dia, Gold and Hommage...im sure i would fall for them too..
    Today I have Jubilation on my right hand and Dia on the left. And after many times again. I feel something extremely sharp in Jubilation, which -if I put my nose to my hand- which almost drives me to tears. I don't know what it might be.

As much as I appreciate Jubilation XXV, I feel it lacks in the longevity department, even the juice from the retail bottle does. It must have something to do with Duchaufour's style. Also, Pousseire de Rose is a rather fresh and scrumptious rose, you know, like DC1913, which is a neat citrus-rose combo.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I tried Lyric and Jubilation XXV yesterday. Both are so amazing, but I myself prefer Lyric, a beautiful feminin scent which is totally suitable for a real gentleman. The Lyric is about rose on my skin, very very long... Shine and bright ( completely diffirent from dark rose Montale Black Oud ), free and fly, sparkle and glitter... I've never enjoyed such a beautiful and romantique rose like Lyric. I do love this scent, but IMO, the price is such a big problem for me to get myself one.
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 31st July 2009 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    I tried Lyric and Jubilation XXV yesterday. Both are so amazing, but I myself prefer Lyric, a beautiful feminin scent which is totally suitable for a real gentleman. The Lyric is about rose on my skin, very very long... Shine and bright ( completely diffirent from dark rose Montale Black Oud ), free and fly, sparkle and glitter... I've never tasted such a beautiful and romantique rose like Lyric. I do love this scent, but IMO, the price is such a big problem for me to get myself one.
    Yeah and the small price difference between the 50ml and 100ml is criminal! Okay, if they want to price the 100ml at its current retail price fine. But at least give the 50mls a cheaper price.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Yeah and the small price difference between the 50ml and 100ml is criminal! Okay, if they want to price the 100ml at its current retail price fine. But at least give the 50mls a cheaper price.

I know it kind of stinks..it like why bother with the 50ml at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    As much as I appreciate Jubilation XXV, I feel it lacks in the longevity department, even the juice from the retail bottle does. It must have something to do with Duchaufour's style. Also, Pousseire de Rose is a rather fresh and scrumptious rose, you know, like DC1913, which is a neat citrus-rose combo.

Kind of odd..I have the 30ml travel bottle and have no problems with longevity at all I spray 2-3 times in the morning and will smell it at least 12-15 hours later

it is very strong while DIA for men which I do not own i can barely smell and find it does not project

and still on the fence if I will buy a full bottle or not

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    Kind of odd..I have the 30ml travel bottle and have no problems with longevity at all I spray 2-3 times in the morning and will smell it at least 12-15 hours later

same here. excellent longevity for me as well with 5-6 sprays.
    Last edited by jenson; 30th July 2009 at 10:08 PM.

Ironically you have to have crazy money to justify the 50ml bottle. Who wouldn't spend the extra $45 (or $35 I think it is, for Lyric Woman) for twice as much juice?

A collection of 50ml Amouage really would broadcast that you have more money than you know what to do with.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

You and all those getting superior longevity from XXV are among the priviledged few then, because I have a decant from both the retail bottle and a half full 30ml travel bottle and the difference in the quality of the juice is mind-bogglingly evident. The longevity on both is poor, period.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Funny, I did 180 on this scent as well. for some reason the fresh notes annoyed me at first. I guess it's the angelica which gives it that lightsness or maybe some unlisted ingedient. I was able to get past it and Ive been putting a major dent on my 50ml bottle. I love the heart and basenotes on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Please hurry up and give Micallef Aoud Homme that full wearing. But be warned, once you go Micallef Aoud, you just may never go B(l)ack again
    I will second this rec for Micallef Aoud PH... it's really nice. I also have it on good accord that the Night Oud is very nice too! I might be splurging for White Sea and Night Oud soon!

As for the topic at hand... I really like Lyric, but hesitated to buy a whole bottle and bought Dia instead. Dia, for me, is a near perfect scent, even if it doesn't project much, but when I smell it, it brings such good vibes that I "feel good in my skin" as they say!

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    Funny, I did 180 on this scent as well. for some reason the fresh notes annoyed me at first. I guess it's the angelica which gives it that lightsness or maybe some unlisted ingedient. I was able to get past it and Ive been putting a major dent on my 50ml bottle. I love the heart and basenotes on this one.
    I found the angelica mixed with rose to be absolutely intoxicating from the start. After reading Chandler Burr's comments about it having a cocoa note, I do pick that up too in the early stages although I think it is just an illusion created by the rose mixing with the nutmeg and perhaps the ginger.

I find every stage of the scent utterly captivating and can still smell it faintly twelve hours later. Nothing harsh or synthetic in this drydown. I hope that my impressions of it don't change as I impulsively ordered a 100ml bottle after only one full wear (madness!).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    You and all those getting superior longevity from XXV are among the priviledged few then, because I have a decant from both the retail bottle and a half full 30ml travel bottle and the difference in the quality of the juice is mind-bogglingly evident. The longevity on both is poor, period.
    what is really strange Jubilation lasts such a nice long time on me when i tried Homage it lasted only 6 hours on me..

Figure that one out

I found the angelica mixed with rose to be absolutely intoxicating from the start. After reading Chandler Burr's comments about it having a cocoa note, I do pick that up too in the early stages although I think it is just an illusion created by the rose mixing with the nutmeg and perhaps the ginger.

I find every stage of the scent utterly captivating and can still smell it faintly twelve hours later. Nothing harsh or synthetic in this drydown. I hope that my impressions of it don't change as I impulsively ordered a 100ml bottle after only one full wear (madness!).
    Yeah, Lyric Woman is one fragrance I'm constantly changing my mind about (not if it's good but if it's FBW). I guess I need to be completely certain before splurging on a 100ml bottle.

Yeah, Lyric Woman is one fragrance I'm constantly changing my mind about (not if it's good but if it's FBW). I guess I need to be completely certain before splurging on a 100ml bottle.

Trebor,
    my advice would be: Buy it, if u dont like it , just sell it again!!

lol, my bad, I mean ml

That would be quite a deal though wouldn't it?

I don't get the cocoa I will try and sniff for it next time I wear it. The angelica I was used to was in Bois d'orage or Angelique Encens. The way i percieve it in Lyric is different. It seems creamy and a but soapy (ginger?). maybe it's a mixture of notes that I get thia effect from.

what is really strange Jubilation lasts such a nice long time on me when i tried Homage it lasted only 6 hours on me..

Figure that one out
    I got the same results. No longevity problems with XXV for me. the only thing is that irks me sometimes is that weird fruit note. If that note wasn't there it would be a perfect scent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    Trebor,
    my advice would be: Buy it, if u dont like it , just sell it again!!
    I know but I'd rather not go through the hassle. Blind buys and impulse purchases are things I rarely do now. Besides, I'm still trying to decide between Lyric Woman and Sacrebleu Intense (a sample of which should be with me very soon).
    Last edited by Trebor; 31st July 2009 at 09:49 AM.

If you like Lyric Man I'd strongly suggest giving Lyric Woman a shot - it's unlike anything I've come across in the masculine or feminine rose department (including Hommage). Mind you, if you find Lyric Man feminine and that's uncomfortable for you then it might be a bit of a stretch . . . personally, I have no problem wearing it. It tells it's own story.

Re: XXV, I find it almost an 'oriental gourmand'. I love Dzongkha - the whole meditative, incense temple in Bhutan vibe - and although XXV & Dzongkha are both beautiful and have the same author I find them worlds apart in terms of actual style . . . could never make that connection.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 31st July 2009 at 11:57 AM.

I tried this on the weekend and although I found it "nice", it wasn't very interesting or edgy, which is how I tend to like my perfumes. I thought it was a little boring.

Since then I've been sniffing the sleeve of my shirt, where it was sprayed and I'm really hooked on it. I must say the sillage/longevity is superb and the quality of notes is outstanding. It's also very well blended. Overall, I get a green-bright-sweet rose.

Now, I really want a decant.

Either way, I love the scent. It is the most unique rose scent I've come across.
    I found it pretty close to Aoud Damascus, obviously minus the oud.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 2nd September 2009 at 09:13 AM.

I know but I'd rather not go through the hassle. Blind buys and impulse purchases are things I rarely do now. Besides, I'm still trying to decide between Lyric Woman and Sacrebleu Intense (a sample of which should be with me very soon).
    I understand!
    After a while it gets very hard and tiring all those blind buys and wasted money
    i am still trying to get a sampel of lyric women.