Code of Conduct

Default Czech & Speake Cuba Cologne

I have just received my bottle of Cuba and I have given myself two sprays to the neck and a little spray to each wrist. I have made myself a coffee and have a Cuban Montecristo No 5 Cigar waiting for me in the lounge.

The first notes to hit my nose is the peppermint and herbal fragrance then I can smell a dirty note like someone has pulled a Geranium plant out of the ground. This then shifts to the musky animal note which some people find off-putting as it can smell a little like a fecal note. This then shifts to a sweet tobacco minty smell.

Now these notes did not hit me in a nice ordinary fashion, to tell you the truth this is a scent that is like a riot of different notes. They are constantly shifting and changing and when you think you have got the scent pinned down it shifts its accord.

Boring this scent is not, I like it as its different and there is a lot going on scent wise, you are getting different notes each time you smell it. Now what is interesting is when I went into my lounge I smelled my Cuban Cigar all along the dried tobacco leaves. And it smelled just like that musky animal dirty note, so to me it was like "so thats what that note is" I understand what they were trying to do with that scent accord.

I lit up my cigar and had a enjoyable time smelling the cologne fragrance intermingled with the cigar smell while drinking some coffee. Happy times.

Default Re: Czech & Speake Cuba Cologne

I'm glad you are enjoying it - it certainly is a bold scent and quite unique.

Unfortunately for me it was probably the least enjoyable of my C&S buys. I dont understand why they discontinued Dark Rose, which they only started producing a year before Cuba was introduced. Holy Cow - Dark Rose is back, when did that happen!!!

In terms of C&S I do have a very high level of expectation and although Cuba lives up to this, I'm afraid that we are incompatible.
    Last edited by Gimpee; 30th July 2009 at 02:05 PM.

Cuba is one of my least favourite Czech and Speake creations . The cigar note is too sweet for my liking but its a nice try. At least others are enjoying it.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

I really enjoy this one. It's my only C&S purchase. At first, I thought the notes were chaotic and not harmoniously blended, but after a few tries, I found that I really liked the chaos of it all. It was sort of like the process of learning to like discordant music - at first it seems simply random and weird, but then it becomes complex and even beautiful.

I like the way you arranged your fragrance, beverage and smoke. I suspect you are a bon vivant, a sybarite or another one of those terms which make you.......one of us! Welcome, and thanks for a very enjoyable description of C&S's Cuba.

I actually think it's the best of their current line-up, as 88 and Frankincense & Myrrh are no longer quite what they used to be.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    to tell you the truth this is a scent that is like a riot of different notes. They are constantly shifting and changing and when you think you have got the scent pinned down it shifts its accord.

Boring this scent is not, I like it as its different and there is a lot going on scent wise, you are getting different notes each time you smell it.
    Welcome to BaseNotes, Jack Hunter :wave:

Your review of Cuba hits all the right chords, especially as you relate to it experientially. Cuba was my first C&S, and what an introduction it was!

IMO, its that cheerful riot of notes and the fact that you get different notes each time you smell it that distinguishes it from the much-compared-with Aramis Havana, which is more focused.

I wish you happy times with Cuba, and all the frags you will come across.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Thanks for the welcome guys, collecting colognes and smoking fine cigars are my new hobbies. Now I need to find a good Scotch Malt Whisky.Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Thanks for the welcome guys, collecting colognes and smoking fine cigars are my new hobbies. Now I need to find a good Scotch Malt Whisky.Lol
    Caol Ila 1993, Signatory Vintage Filling .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I recently gave Cuba as a gift to a smoker friend of mine, it works very well with the natutal dirtiness of the tobacco. It even goes up a level when the temperatures are high and I often use it on warm summer evenings.

great review Mr. Hunter ! it;s a fab scent! my favorite part is it's drydown. simply outstanding.

Last edited by DesGrieux; 11th December 2009 at 10:03 PM.

You know after trying other department store fragrances I have come back to this quality scent and I appreciate it all the more. I have smelled a lot of synthetics chemicals in other products.

Well I have been wearing this again and it has been a joy from its exotic composition to the quality ingredients. Sometimes you have to go on a little journey scent wise to fully appreciate what you already have.

I love the mint lime opening and the tobacco musky dry down. This scent really is a GEM, its exotic and has a quality that I have missed from other products.

And I do not have to fight it to like it, as I have with other fragrances. My respect for Czech & Speake has gone up for making this product. I am really enjoying this scent.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 18th August 2009 at 09:46 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I just smelled this for the 1st time today. Love it!

I'm reminded a bit of the dry down of Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain, but replacing the lavender with tobacco and spices. I'm assuming this has civet in it? It's sort of like a very complex bay rum scent, but not quite so potpourri-ish.

It was only one of those teensy samples I got with the C&S sampler pack, that I decanted into an atomizer - now I want to try more. Very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I just smelled this for the 1st time today. Love it!

I'm reminded a bit of the dry down of Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain, but replacing the lavender with tobacco and spices. I'm assuming this has civet in it? It's sort of like a very complex bay rum scent, but not quite so potpourri-ish.

It was only one of those teensy samples I got with the C&S sampler pack, that I decanted into an atomizer - now I want to try more. Very impressed.
    Great that you enjoy this. Cuba must (obviously) work well in a Florida climate . Considering that the last round of formulation has seriously diminished Dark Rose, F&M and even 88, I find this to be my favorite of the current C&S line up. Thankfully I never smelled an older version of it - ignorance is bliss sometimes.
    My Wardrobe

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Great that you enjoy this. Cuba must (obviously) work well in a Florida climate . Considering that the last round of formulation has seriously diminished Dark Rose, F&M and even 88, I find this to be my favorite of the current C&S line up. Thankfully I never smelled an older version of it - ignorance is bliss sometimes.
    Well, today's is unusually dark, windy and gloomy - so it wasn't a typical South Florida day but nonetheless Cuba really got my attention.

There's a tiny part, where the tobacco and mint intermingle that reminds me of smelling a cigarette smokers breath while chewing mint gum. I guess I've kissed my share of guys who smoked and chewed mint gum. Not a particularly glamorous image, but I felt suddenly transported for a few seconds. And then, just like that, the scent morphed into another one of it's various accords. Whoosh! Wow...how fun.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th December 2009 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well, today's is unusually dark, windy and gloomy - so it wasn't a typical South Florida day but nonetheless Cuba really got my attention.

There's a tiny part, where the tobacco and mint intermingle that reminds me of smelling a cigarette smokers breath while chewing mint gum. I guess I've kissed my share of guys who smoked and chewed mint gum. Not a particularly glamorous image, but I felt suddenly transported for a few seconds. And then, just like that, the scent morphed into another one of it's various accords. Whoosh! Wow...how fun.
    Wow, Mike. I'm glad you've finally tried this one! It's by far my favorite of the C&S line ... and yeah, I've kissed my fair share of nice smelling guys who have been smokers, too.

As a proud owner of Havana and Feuilles de Tabac, I must make it a point to sample Cuba soon. You all make it sound so good!
    Edit- except the kissing guys part...yuk
    Last edited by knightowl; 12th December 2009 at 05:26 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    As a proud owner of Havana and Feuilles de Tabac, I must make it a point to sample Cuba soon. You all make it sound so good!
    Edit- except the kissing guys part...yuk
    LOL. Have you ever kissed a woman smoker who chews mint gum? It smells a bit like that.

I like the description I've read here, it really is a shifting prism of accords. And I agree with The Good Life, vintage 88 aside, it's the standout now. And I would really think twice before tracking down a vintage sample of Cuba. I have a feeling though, as wild and crazy as it is, that they have not yet mucked around with this one! I should probably be on the lookout for a 2nd bottle because ... with this scent being the monster it is, they'll surely get around to toning it down if they haven't already!