Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance and Health

I KNEW Encens & Lavande was good for me, now if I could just get my insurance company to pay for it!

Fragrant plant & fruit scents repress activity of more than 100 genes involved in sustaining stress response

Feeling stressed? Then try savoring the scent of lemon, mango, lavender, or other fragrant plants.

Scientists in Japan have reported the first scientific evidence that inhaling certain fragrances alters gene activity and blood chemistry in ways that can reduce stress levels. Their study was published June 24 in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.*

In the new study, Akio Nakamura and colleagues note that people have inhaled the scent of certain plants since ancient times to help reduce stress, fight inflammation and depression, and induce sleep. Aromatherapy, the use of fragrant plant oils to improve mood and health, has become a popular form of alternative medicine today. And linalool is one of the most widely used substances to soothe away emotional stress. [Note: Linalool is a scented compound present in many foods & flowers including for example tea, orange, grape, mango, lemon, tomato, basil and lavender.]

Until now, however, linalool's exact effects on the body have been a deep mystery.

The scientists exposed lab rats to stressful conditions while inhaling and not inhaling linalool.

• Linalool returned stress-elevated levels of neutrophils and lymphocytes - key parts of the immune system - to near-normal levels.

• Inhaling linalool also reduced the activity of more than 100 genes that go into overdrive in stressful situations.

The findings could form the basis of new blood tests for identifying fragrances that can soothe stress, the researchers say.

* Article: "Stress Repression in Restrained Rats by (R)-(–)-Linalool Inhalation and Gene Expression Profiling of Their Whole Blood Cells" by Akio Nakamura, et al., Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry, Jun 24, 2009.

Source: American Chemical Society news release, Jul 22, 2009

http://www.prohealth.com/library/sho...0&B1=EG072909B

Default Re: Fragrance and Health

anything that has a calming effect will tend to inhibit an excitatory response which will ultimately inhibit hormone release. I adore encens et lavende and I nurture my bell jar with care.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I read about this! Then I went on to read about how scent is tied to the same part of the brain responsible for memory and emotion. It's really interesting

Very interesting read.

If more beneficial health effects could be scientifically proven, maybe we could one day- and I mean it seriously- get our fragrance expenses covered by the Health insurance.

The calming, soothing, and just soul enriching effects are very noticeable when using all natural perfumes. For those who haven't smelled them, it's hard to put into words the differences but they can be felt on an emotional and psychological level.

I do find this effect with some niche frags too - most Amouage, Montale's Original Aoud, The Unicorn Spell, and some others that have obviously use more naturals. There are many cheaper and obviously synthetic brews that lift my mood or make me feel comforted, safe, secure or what have yuo (Prada Amber, M7, NR for him and Fleur Du Male, especially) but they don't seem to have the same therapeutic effect but instead work just by creating a certain aura that alters my mood in a positive way.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 31st July 2009 at 07:23 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    If more beneficial health effects could be scientifically proven, maybe we could one day- and I mean it seriously- get our fragrance expenses covered by the Health insurance.
    Very nice Probably in a hundred years or so...

Yeah this is making sense basically its about those things that has an impact on human mood when it comes to making it better so i agree with you on this because that plays a good role.

Hi Abriel,

It looks like you've bumped several old "will fragrances kill me?" threads. As we probably don't need all of these conversations going at once—especially conversations that ended a couple of years ago—feel free to either start a new discussion that's more up to date, perhaps addressing recent IFRA issues or something similar. But for now, I'm going to go ahead and close up these old threads so they can return to their resting place.

When you use the search engine, take a look at the dates of the posts — that way you're not joining a conversation that ended years ago.