Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Underrated designers frags for men

Hi all. I just purchased Issey Miyake's Bleue last week. I think it is one of the most underrated designers frags for men. One can forget about the citrus top notes as it only lasts for 10 seconds on my skin. After that, it turns to a dried flower/leaves/woody scent----- airy yet woody. It reminds me of the smell of dried chrysanthemum flower. On a hot summer days, we always drink chrysanthemum tea. Fragrant yet airy (the tea drink). Lastly it turns to a soft ambery scent. I think that IM Bleue can easily fits for summer days despite the woody characteristic. Longevity is about 5 hours on my skin. I love it to the max.

So it makes me wonder whether could you all list down any underrated designers mens frags for me to try in the future. I do feel that Azzaro Now for men is another underrated scent.

Default Re: Underrated designers frags for men

Quote Originally Posted by archaic View Post
    Hi all. I just purchased Issey Miyake's Bleue last week. I think it is one of the most underrated designers frags for men.
    Ohh it's my favorite! smells absolutely mesmerising. lovely use of spices and woods. easily one of the best scent out there.

Others, which imho are underrated -

Azzaro Pure Vetiver
    Luciano Soprani Uomo & Sulky
    Loewe Agua de Loewe & Para Hombre
    Adolfo Dominiguez Vetiver Hombre
    Burberry Brit
    Faconnable Face a Face
    Hugo Boss Soul
    +
    many more...

Long time no see archaic. Yeah i totally get the chrysanthemum tea reference. Although i don't have much love for Bleue the last time i tried it months ago because it reminded me of Vicks Vapor Rub. I feel the urge to give it another go. Some of the underrated frags are IMO:
    - Solo Loewe (and others in the Loewe Mens range).
    - Versace Pour Homme (wait till the drydown)
    - YSL L'Homme (needs a few wearing to see its beauty).
    - Z Zegna Extreme
    - YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration (I just realised how rare this is in Malaysia).

btw, If u know of any good deals on frags in Msia pls let me know.

Totally agree about Issey Blue, as I call it. Very underrated. I brought it home on a sample card ages ago, thinking it was so-so. I put it in a box on the dresser, as I usually do, and rediscovered it a few days later. I couldn't believe it was the same fragrance I'd initially almost dismissed. I immediately went out to buy a 75ml bottle.
    Do not go by initial impressions with this one! Unctious and delicious.

Givenchy Blue Label.

Knee jerk reactions based on how commonly used or popular it is, exaggerated notions of the "superiority" of the Red Label (Johnny Walkerism in reverse, lol), wearabilty that makes it an easy neutral despite statements of it being "well done" and clear longevity, and of course revenge for the aquatics category itself as the summa cum neutral though yes indeed, it "distinguishes itself."

BTW, I am not the biggest fan of aquatics..someone who frequently wears Aramis and Halston Z-14...

Cacharel pour l'Homme - An absolute nutmeg feast

Top Notes
    Lavender, Lemon, Bergamot .

Middle Notes
    Nutmeg, Geranium, Carnation.

Base Notes

Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Vetiver, Musk .

.... QUORUM SILVER ....

its nothing like it big brutal brother , which is as notorious re: love/hate as Kouros
    If you like frags in the Envy & Carven Homme type , then give this one a wearing if you can get it .. its sublime !

Paul Smith Story
    Burberry Touch
    and...

Terre d'Hermes,

....j/k on the TdH

Eau Fresh - Bogart

When I got this yesterday I was like - oh my where have you been? Soapy, pine, citrus, some spice, really well balanced and put together. Paco Rabanne fans would most likely enjoy this.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

AromiErotici

Ricci Club Haute is one of my all time favs.

A great warm-weather designer scent that I think is very underrated is

Juicy Couture Dirty English

If you were to look at the note list of; peppered mandarin, blue cypress, Calabrian bergamot, caraway, cardamom pods, marjoram, black leather, “Santal Fatal” accord (a mix of sandalwood, Atlas cedar and vetiver), agarwood, ebony wood, black moss absolute, and amber musk; you might think this would be a too heavy scent to wear in the summer.
    I find the spicy citrus and the woody accord in the heart lend a different fresh and clean experience than many of the scents out there. I love it on a hot summer day.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    Paul Smith Story
    Burberry Touch
    Definitely agree on those two. Especially Story, which I find to be far more natural smelling and interesting than Mugler cologne despite them having a number of similarities.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Definitely agree on those two. Especially Story, which I find to be far more natural smelling and interesting than Mugler cologne despite them having a number of similarities.
    I couldn't agree more. Story is much better than mugler cologne.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sur la Plage

Lanvin Arpege pour Homme - I highly recommend picking this up at Marshalls/TJ Maxx if you see it (~ $12.99).
    Last edited by petruccijc; 31st July 2009 at 04:38 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I will second and third;

Givenchy Blue Label
    Paul Smith Story (my SOTD)
    Cacheral pour l'Homme (my SOTD yesterday!)

Got to add;

Hugh Parsons Blue
    Herrera Sensual Vetiver

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Dependent

Mario Valentino's Ocean Rain is highly underrated and undermentioned. Love it.

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours
    Lanvin Vetyver
    Lacoste Booster

Last edited by scentemental; 31st July 2009 at 05:13 PM.

RL Safari for me
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Carven Homme. Never fails to get alot of compliments. Not so easy to find.
    My motto for life: "If you have to choose, choose BOTH."

Vuarnet Duo Homme

Kouros Cologne Sport, the perfect update of a very dated fragrance. Sexy, animalic and tenacious.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st July 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Nicole Farhi Pour Homme
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Lanvin L'Homme

A great warm-weather designer scent that I think is very underrated is

Juicy Couture Dirty English

If you were to look at the note list of; peppered mandarin, blue cypress, Calabrian bergamot, caraway, cardamom pods, marjoram, black leather, “Santal Fatal” accord (a mix of sandalwood, Atlas cedar and vetiver), agarwood, ebony wood, black moss absolute, and amber musk; you might think this would be a too heavy scent to wear in the summer.
    I find the spicy citrus and the woody accord in the heart lend a different fresh and clean experience than many of the scents out there. I love it on a hot summer day.
    Dirty English is one of my favorite cooler-weather scents, but I havent dared to try it in the heat yet. Maybe I will try next week.

And I second DE being underrated, as well as Hugo XY (best mint I've tried as of yet), and Ed Hardy Love and Luck. If people can forget the notion that EH is a trendy brand and that Christian Audigier is a sub-par designer, the scent is probably my favorite fresh/fruity scents in my wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    .... QUORUM SILVER ....

its nothing like it big brutal brother , which is as notorious re: love/hate as Kouros
    If you like frags in the Envy & Carven Homme type , then give this one a wearing if you can get it .. its sublime !
    I second that...big time!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

YSL Live Jazz

John Varvatos Artisan

L'eau D'issey Bleue

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Long time no see archaic. Yeah i totally get the chrysanthemum tea reference. Although i don't have much love for Bleue the last time i tried it months ago because it reminded me of Vicks Vapor Rub. I feel the urge to give it another go. Some of the underrated frags are IMO:
    - Solo Loewe (and others in the Loewe Mens range).
    - Versace Pour Homme (wait till the drydown)
    - YSL L'Homme (needs a few wearing to see its beauty).
    - Z Zegna Extreme
    - YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration (I just realised how rare this is in Malaysia).

btw, If u know of any good deals on frags in Msia pls let me know.
    ahhh for the Loewe range...you can find it @Plaza Low Yat, near the main escalator somewhere at level 1 or 2. This little shop also sells Byblos products.

I do love z zegna extreme's rose definition. i find it more masculine than burberry brit (powdery velvety rose) tho. z zegna extreme's rose feels woody and herbacious with a hint of spice. very Arabesque.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    Paul Smith Story
    yesss PS Story is wayyy underrated. i love PS Story more than my Mugler Cologne LOL
    Last edited by archaic; 1st August 2009 at 03:19 AM.

Too many to mention, but one that doesn't get much attention here is Green Jeans. I wore it several days ago and was very impressed by the rich yet subtle pine drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by MassMenace View Post
    YSL Live Jazz

John Varvatos Artisan

L'eau D'issey Bleue
    i love all 3. hahaha. so what if it is heavily synthetic... (as quoted in some of the reviews). as long as it makes me feel happy and dandy all day long, i'm ok with it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Too many to mention, but one that doesn't get much attention here is Green Jeans. I wore it several days ago and was very impressed by the rich yet subtle pine drydown.
    hehe i thought Versace Green Jeans was discontinued. and yessss green jeans feels like a walk in pine forest.

The one that comes to my mind immediately and it's because it gets absolutely no love here:
    Roberto Cavalli Man

-Bergamot, ginger, lemon
    -Cedarwood, leather, lavender
    -Sandalwood, myrrh, musk

I love how fresh and fizzy it is in the opening and how soft and creamy in the base.
    RM

Versace Black Jeans and the aforementioned Green Jeans. My interest in them diminished after wearing them constantly for years.

Black Jeans can go head-to-head with many niche fragrances out there and win, in my opinion.. it's bold, masculine and has excellent longevity and sillage.

I have to disagree with Versace Green Jeans, that stuff is pretty vile!
    What about Metal Jeans??

not just underrated but never mentioned !!
    Derrick Black by Orlane

It's funny that I've been accused of being too sensitive, yet Green Jeans is rather mild for me, even with two sprays. Then, once the drydown fully sets in, it's quite sedate, but there is a rich pine accord that is great. However, it's sometimes so faint that I have to wave my hand to waft it up to my nose. I wonder if this has to do with certain notes bothering people. I have problems with lavender and geranium, unless they are quite subdued, and the anise bombs are unbearable to me (like Body Kouros), but others don't even seem to smell the lavender. As a newbie, the lavender just came across as a kind of "background noise," from what I remember.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st August 2009 at 06:09 AM.

Hi archaic, Just got into this hobby and finding it devilish hard to find anything other then the latest designer frags in KL. Any suggestions where to look for fragrances in malaysia?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Lanvin Arpege pour Homme - I highly recommend picking this up at Marshalls/TJ Maxx if you see it (~ $12.99).

I strongly second L'Arpege Homme, with a megaphone.

It's not particularly unique, but it is, quite simply, an exceelent fragrance if you like iris and anise in your fragrances. Like petruccijc said, look for it at TJMaxx - I got a 3.4 oz. bottle on clearance for $10. The scent has excellent longevity too (8 - 12 hrs. on my dry skin).

Gucci PH II is very underrated. I feel people dismiss it because it's very easy to wear and a designer frag. It would be one of the more popular niche frags if it weren't designer. It shares a lot with L'Artisan's Tea for Two.

Personally, I don't understand Versace's Black Jeans.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by teohha View Post
    Hi archaic, Just got into this hobby and finding it devilish hard to find anything other then the latest designer frags in KL. Any suggestions where to look for fragrances in malaysia?
    Hi there. Nice to see another Malaysian on Basenotes. Pls PM me if u interested on anything about frags in Malaysia. We could help each other

I struggle to see what turns people off about Black Jeans, quite frankly. Not that you aren't entitled to your opinion! I can somewhat understand Green Jeans, as the opening reminds me a bit of "Pine Sol"..

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Gucci PH II is very underrated. I feel people dismiss it because it's very easy to wear and a designer frag. It would be one of the more popular niche frags if it weren't designer. It shares a lot with L'Artisan's Tea for Two.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I struggle to see what turns people off about Black Jeans, quite frankly. Not that you aren't entitled to your opinion! I can somewhat understand Green Jeans, as the opening reminds me a bit of "Pine Sol"..
    Well, it's what I call the 'cooked cabbage' note. Perhaps you agree that it's very similar to Rive Gauche PH? What Give Gauche PH is lacking, that's exactly the part I don't like about Black Jeans.

Not sure if they qualify as designer, but both of these are very underrated...

Laura Tonatto - Albi
    Laura Tonatto - Iss

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I strongly second L'Arpege Homme, with a megaphone.

It's not particularly unique, but it is, quite simply, an exceelent fragrance if you like iris and anise in your fragrances. Like petruccijc said, look for it at TJMaxx - I got a 3.4 oz. bottle on clearance for $10. The scent has excellent longevity too (8 - 12 hrs. on my dry skin).
    This is one where some people feel the need to "think their way out of." Even foetidus does this in his review (while waxing poetic about Unbound).

I'd like to come up with a fragrance called "Inbound." Or another, "Rebound."
    Last edited by ortho123; 1st August 2009 at 03:16 PM.

Cooked cabbage? Really? I'll have to pull out my sample again. I remember Black Jeans to be mainly spicy/dry with floral top notes. It's quite complex, especially for a designer fragrance. What I don't get is the sandalwood - whatsoever. It's supposedly in there but I think it's hidden by some of the other strong notes.

But I definitely agree that it shares similarities with RG, and I'd rather wear RG than Black Jeans only because Black Jeans brings back memories of the late 90's.

Well, it's what I call the 'cooked cabbage' note. Perhaps you agree that it's very similar to Rive Gauche PH? What Give Gauche PH is lacking, that's exactly the part I don't like about Black Jeans.

Blog Entries

Zino Davidoff
    Dlish Clean Men
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

+1 to Dirty English. I just found a 15ml of it at Target on clearance and I love it already.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

My vote goes to Royal Copenhagen (including the Musk). $$$-level quality (ingredients, blending, sillage and longevity) for drugstore $s.

Considering Royal Copenhagen is a certified Purveyor to Her Majesty The Queen of Denmark, the pricing and distribution of this frag baffles me. I was glad to see it on display at Bloomingdales.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I am sort of glad Gucci II is underrated. I love it so much, i don't want snyone else to smell like me. I also think Narciso Rodriguez for him is also underrated. Unfortunatly, many places are discontinuing NR for him. I have been told my several Sephora locations that t hey will no longer be carrying NR for him. I have also been told by several Nordstrom SAs that once they run out of NR for him, they will not be getting more in stock, however some locations will be getting the NR for him EDP. I hope they do not stop carrying NR for him. I have bought enough to last me a lifetime, but I still wish they sold it, so I can use it liberally.

Ah, Narciso Rodriguez for him, another one I don't get.

Too grassy for me, as if you're walking with a pocket full of freshly mown grass. I can understand however why people might like it. It's pretty unique.

I think most of the Dunhills are underrated. By myself as well as others. They sit in my wardrobe largely ignored until I suddenly get an urge to use one. that happened last night with Desire. It's the kind of frag that's not to everyone's taste, but it surrounds you in a wonderful cloud that sticks around for ever. Fresh is another that I should reach for more than I do.

wow...so many recommendations. hehe gotta check them out very soon. hehehe

I have heard you a few times mention your dislike for Black Jeans, but clearly you do have a scent association with BJ and "cooked cabbage" I don't get that at all, but then again our experiences are different.

I am somewhat in disagreement with the similarity to Rive Gauche pour Homme, as far as smell is concerned. Black Jeans to me is also really dry and RG pH is creamy and somewhat powdery at times. Maybe there is something there in BJ that somehow makes it similar to RG pH...is it structure or the way the notes come about...I'm not sure. I'll give it another sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Cooked cabbage? Really? I'll have to pull out my sample again. I remember Black Jeans to be mainly spicy/dry with floral top notes. It's quite complex, especially for a designer fragrance. What I don't get is the sandalwood - whatsoever. It's supposedly in there but I think it's hidden by some of the other strong notes.

But I definitely agree that it shares similarities with RG, and I'd rather wear RG than Black Jeans only because Black Jeans brings back memories of the late 90's.
    Those "...spicy/dry with floral top notes..." are just amazing to me. And yes Black Jeans is a complex scent, which is a nice surprise as I find the vast majority of men's fragrances to be quite linear ( whether niche or designer). Downside for me is the lack of longevity

As far as you not being able to get any sandalwood out of BJ, I believe the reason is that sandalwood in many if not most fragrances just easily blends in with the notes and accords around it. I always thought of sandalwood being more functional in a fragrance rather than for its very own scent. Maybe its a stabilizer in a fragrance, not sure. Or perhaps allows the middle notes to keep persisting for a longer period of time.

Black Jeans is only "underrated" if you like it, right? There was a harsh note that I simply could not tolerate in it. I sampled it 3 times, separated by a month or more, then I gave up on it, but it is certainly not a simple frag.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archaic View Post
    yesss PS Story is wayyy underrated. i love PS Story more than my Mugler Cologne LOL
    That's odd. I'm the other way around. I gave away what was left of my TM Cologne to a friend who wanted something subtle for work and he's never worn cologne before. I bought Story to replace it. After several months of wearing it, I gave in, sold it, and ended up buying a new bottle of TM. I just wasn't diggin' the sharp grapefruit beginning in Story and TM just seemed to have better staying power on me.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 2nd August 2009 at 05:01 AM.

I agree with this. I think lots of people are quick to dismiss it because it's a designer frag that came out in the last couple years, it's the follow up to a much hyped and loved scent here, and the juice is blue. That usually equals death on basenotes. However, I think it smells fantastic and if this was released by L'Artisan or some other respected niche brand many more people would be singing its praises.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Yeah, I'll give my props to GPH II as well even though I don't personally like it, but that's just because I don't get on well with whatever synthetic is used in so many designer tobacco notes. I must be hyperosmic to it.

The frag has an interesting dichotomous personality where the watery and woody coexist for quite some time.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    That's odd. I'm the other way around. I gave away what was left of my TM Cologne to a friend who wanted something subtle for work and he's never worn cologne before. I bought Story to replace it. After several months of wearing it, I gave in, sold it, and ended up buying a new bottle of TM. I just wasn't diggin' the sharp grapefruit beginning in Story and TM just seemed to have better staying power on me.

true that TM has wayyyyy much better staying power than Story but on my skin, TM starts with a healthy dose of neroli (which is gooooood) then it turns to a vetiver-ish powdery notes. very prominent tho. too prominent. but then again..... i used like 10 squirts on my chest. LOL LOL LOL i've become the cologne guy all day long. LOLOLOLOL

Another vote for Paul Smith Story...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Derrick Black by Orlane
    Never tried it, but... believe it or not, Derrick (not Black, not Silver) was the fragrance that got me hooked on perfumes when I was 15 or 16, I think! I had a mini which I treasured, since it was impossible to find a bottle in Belgium. It still is, as far as I know. I wonder if I'd still enjoy it after all this time. I should perhaps take a trip down memory lane and buy some from ebay...

Another underrated fragrance, in my book, is my SOTD: Annayake UNDŌ.
    Live simply, Love fully.
    http://twitter.com/_flannelman — PM me for facebook

Versace PH
    Boss Soul
    Gucci PH 2
    Azzaro Onyx/Black Silver
    Azzaro Chrome Legend
    Joop Thrill man
    Joop PH
    Lancome Hypnose Man
    Givenchy Pi Neo

all quite underrated.
    Last edited by Zgb; 2nd August 2009 at 10:33 AM.

Not really a "designer" but an interesting study in how a scent gets caught in the crosshairs...without any of the customary provisos regarding application (go light on the trigger)...or for being being too linear or whatever...and yes, "longevity issues'...

Aspen For Men...most frequently shot down for being too similar of course to either CW or GIT...whilst there are Creeds and even Tom Fords which get treated far more mercificully in that department...

BTW, when applied as a close to skin scent (because of lonegvity and using that flaw) 1 shot or 2...this stuff is a fine sport scent...that avoids the whole obsession with lavender/pakmoss/conifer...lightly applied this stuff adds up to mostly "mint" wintergreen....

whether you like this one or not study the few reviews for some of the mechanisms of being shot down...or taken down a notch even while being recommended...