Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pasig
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Hi! After sampling some frags this past few weeks, i have managed to buy some EDTs to add in my wardrobe (Bulgari Blu,Lacoste Essentials, RSVP,D&G PH). Now im clueless on what to buy next, not that i just wanted a new one to join my wardrobe family. I just cant find a fragrance that really suit my preference. A frag with a good silage, longeviy that can give me at most 8 hours without having to reapply every lunch time

    if you'd notice in my wardrobe, all of the frags i have are all somewhat sweet. Can i get more suggestions on what i can buy?

    I have sampled Bulgari Aqua PH and loved it but i would want to sample Kenzo PH.
    Another i'm looking for a frag that has some musk on it without making me look like older than my age (25).

    Hope to hear some suggestions. Thanks in Advance

  2. #2
    JoNnY 4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Petaling Jaya
    Posts
    1,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Yeah most of the frags u currently have are kind of sweet. I would suggest you try YSL's fragrance range for men. Most of their frags cater for more mature taste (subjective of course) and not to mention their frags are really long lasting with good to powerful sillage.

  3. #3
    mr. reasonable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Terre d'Hermes
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Bulgari Black & The Verte
    Dior Homme
    Kenzo Power
    Acqua di Parma Colonia

    All relatively easy to find and will take you in new directions - and the YSL line as mentioned above. Chanel Pour Monsieur worth a look.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pasig
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Thanks for the replies guys. been wearing a sample from Fahrenheit and absolutely love it, BUT an officemate already beat me to it to make it his signature scent. I asked sir matthewfoo and he suggested Narcisso Rodriguez for him would somewhat have almost the same greeness the former.



    @Jonny4
    ill be blind buying an M7 or RG whichever would be more easier to find, a friend will buy it another country,its hard to find cheap ones here.

    at @mr. reasonable

    Terre d'Hermes -WIll see if it is available
    Gucci Pour Homme - i know it is
    Bulgari Black & The Verte - Black is easy to find, Verte,i would look on that.
    Dior Homme - somewhat similar to Fahrenheit32, will look into it
    Kenzo Power - is it better than the too synthetic Kenzo PH
    Acqua di Parma Colonia - ill have to look for that if its localy available

  5. #5
    JoNnY 4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Petaling Jaya
    Posts
    1,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Between RG and M7, i think RG would be a safer blind buy.

    The drydown of Fahrenheit is slightly similar to NR for Him. But i prefer Fahrenheit over NR.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pasig
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Thanks JonNy. My fave Frag shop have no stock for NR. Being the sweet tooth that i am i bought Fahrenheit 32 just yesterday and i love it im just waiting for my RG to be brought to me and the NR to be replenished with stocks. any more recommendations sirs? Thanks!
    Last edited by mralviar; 3rd August 2009 at 05:09 AM.

  7. #7
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,224
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Quote Originally Posted by mralviar View Post
    Thanks JonNy. My fave Frag shop have no stock for NR. Being the sweet tooth that i am i bought Fahrenheit 32 just yesterday and i love it im just waiting for my RG to be brought to me and the NR to be replenished with stocks. any more recommendations sirs? Thanks!
    Congrats on your purchase What types would you prefer to try?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Hello mralviar,

    "@Jonny4
    ill be blind buying an M7 or RG whichever would be more easier to find, a friend will buy it another country,its hard to find cheap ones here."


    Ditto on easier blind buy for Rive Gauche. I've been having a hard time finding affordable frags here in the PH as well (I'm from the Pasig area also hehe). I do suggest though you watch out for the bazaar sales that Rustans Marketing or Luxasia joins, and get your name on the mailing lists (I can PM to you if you like) for I think Prestige. These are the big 3 distis here in the PH (last one is L'Oreal, but they rarely hold sales outside the counters, only at their Ortigas office 2x a year, lucky if you can catch it).

    I've only recently discovered the treasure trove of frags at Cash & Carry (gray market?hmmm...) and they're not half bad, majority selection are designer frags, and cheap too, some are half the price vs retail.

    P.S. there's M7 at Marionnaud at MOA I think. It's also a good place to test frags since it's open shelving

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pasig
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Congrats on your purchase What types would you prefer to try?
    Thanks for the recommendation on NR sir im looking particularly anything that would lead my nose away from sweet, creamy notes or any frag the opposite of the ones in my wardrobe. sample of previously loved frags -Ho Hang Club, Fahrenheit. and as always sir Good Silliage and last long enough that i wont have to go and re-squirt at lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by funhuntr View Post
    Hello mralviar,

    "@Jonny4
    ill be blind buying an M7 or RG whichever would be more easier to find, a friend will buy it another country,its hard to find cheap ones here."


    Ditto on easier blind buy for Rive Gauche. I've been having a hard time finding affordable frags here in the PH as well (I'm from the Pasig area also hehe). I do suggest though you watch out for the bazaar sales that Rustans Marketing or Luxasia joins, and get your name on the mailing lists (I can PM to you if you like) for I think Prestige. These are the big 3 distis here in the PH (last one is L'Oreal, but they rarely hold sales outside the counters, only at their Ortigas office 2x a year, lucky if you can catch it).

    I've only recently discovered the treasure trove of frags at Cash & Carry (gray market?hmmm...) and they're not half bad, majority selection are designer frags, and cheap too, some are half the price vs retail.

    P.S. there's M7 at Marionnaud at MOA I think. It's also a good place to test frags since it's open shelving
    That is were ive been buying my frags, that palce is my Frag heaven. My wife though doesn't want to go there because she can see I have begun leaning my interest on fragrances.

    On the mailing list please do send my the link. Thanks Glad to know you're from PH too
    Last edited by mralviar; 3rd August 2009 at 06:47 AM.

  10. #10
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,224
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Quote Originally Posted by mralviar View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation on NR sir im looking particularly anything that would lead my nose away from sweet, creamy notes or any frag the opposite of the ones in my wardrobe. sample of previously loved frags -Ho Hang Club, Fahrenheit.
    Your welcome. I would suggest seeking out some older designer/mainstream classics, that I see isn't common in your wardrobe. They smell great and are definitely a breath of fresh air from the influx of contemporary scents. Try sampling these:

    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Maxims Pour Homme
    Montana (red box)
    CK Obsession for Men
    Dunhill Edition
    Aigner Private Number for men
    Zino Davidoff
    Lancome Sagamore
    Caron Pour Un Homme
    Caron Third Man
    Caron Yatagan

  11. #11

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Being that you're a bit of a sweet tooth, I would suggest Baldessarini. It's sweet, but not too sweet. Sophisticatedly sweet. And can be found for a good price.

    And definitely check out the Yves Saint Laurent line, as others have suggested.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 3rd August 2009 at 01:39 PM.

  12. #12
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    If you're trying to broaden your horizons and wean yourself off of your sweet tooth, I'd suggest sampling some of the following:

    Encre Noire (smoky, pleasantly bitter vetiver)
    L'Anarchiste (oranges, spices, cedar and musk)
    Eau de Guerlain (rich citrus)
    Un Jardin en Méditerranée (green woody citrus)
    Monsieur Blamain (lemon and creamy sandalwood)
    Diesel Fuel for Life pour Homme (uplifting medium-weight fougère)
    Tuscany (spicy citrus fougère)
    Bvlgari Aqva (possibly the best of the conventional designer aquatics)
    Devin (grassy-green, "outdoorsy" leather)

    I also second the recommendations of Acqua di Parma Colonia (or Colonia Assoluta) and Eau Sauvage

  13. #13

    TwoRoads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,963
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Heritage
    Antidote
    1776 Russian Leather
    Jean Pascal
    Pinaud Special Reserve
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 4th August 2009 at 01:51 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pasig
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Your welcome. I would suggest seeking out some older designer/mainstream classics, that I see isn't common in your wardrobe. They smell great and are definitely a breath of fresh air from the influx of contemporary scents. Try sampling these:

    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Maxims Pour Homme
    Montana (red box)
    CK Obsession for Men
    Dunhill Edition
    Aigner Private Number for men
    Zino Davidoff
    Lancome Sagamore
    Caron Pour Un Homme
    Caron Third Man
    Caron Yatagan
    Thanks sir matthew. I'll be sampling some locally available frags you mentioned (CK,Dunhill, Davidoff,Dior [I believe they are somewhat relative in smell with Fahrenheit 32?] ) as for the others, ill be hoping i'll find them in the stores. BTW ill be adding Third Man in my Blind Buy list.

    Quote Originally Posted by Djamison66 View Post
    Being that you're a bit of a sweet tooth, I would suggest Baldessarini. It's sweet, but not too sweet. Sophisticatedly sweet. And can be found for a good price.

    And definitely check out the Yves Saint Laurent line, as others have suggested.
    Id look into Baldessarini, is it the one with a white container, if yes then it has promising notes that i might like
    Hope ill have be lucky enough to sniff some of the other YSL frags in the future,thanks for the suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    If you're trying to broaden your horizons and wean yourself off of your sweet tooth, I'd suggest sampling some of the following:

    Encre Noire (smoky, pleasantly bitter vetiver)
    L'Anarchiste (oranges, spices, cedar and musk)
    Eau de Guerlain (rich citrus)
    Un Jardin en Méditerranée (green woody citrus)
    Monsieur Blamain (lemon and creamy sandalwood)
    Diesel Fuel for Life pour Homme (uplifting medium-weight fougère)
    Tuscany (spicy citrus fougère)
    Bvlgari Aqva (possibly the best of the conventional designer aquatics)
    Devin (grassy-green, "outdoorsy" leather)

    I also second the recommendations of Acqua di Parma Colonia (or Colonia Assoluta) and Eau Sauvage
    I'm almost down in to my last ml on my test vial of Bulgari Aqva, i love its smell but i want to try Kenzo PH first if id like it better than the former.
    as for the other frags you mentioned, i'll be crossing my fingers and hope that id find some frags for test/sale.

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Heritage
    Antidote
    1776 Russian Leather
    Jean Pascal
    Pinaud Special Reserve
    Thanks for the Suggestions. I'd look on those frags in the directory after work I'm guessing in the names they're not that easy to find in here

  15. #15
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,224
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Quote Originally Posted by mralviar View Post
    Thanks sir matthew. I'll be sampling some locally available frags you mentioned (CK,Dunhill, Davidoff,Dior [I believe they are somewhat relative in smell with Fahrenheit 32?] ) as for the others, ill be hoping i'll find them in the stores. BTW ill be adding Third Man in my Blind Buy list.
    Just call me matt! Anyways, NO they are nothing like Fahrenheit 32, which is why I suggested them for a change as you mentioned the want to steer away from sweet, creamy etc. They are heavier classics that are less contemporary/modern smelling than the ones you already have in your wardrobe - which I think is growing nicely. For more contemporary, I'd 2nd Lalique Encre Noire if its easily available in Philippines and Guerlain Heritage. Also do try out Aramis, esp 900, and Tuscany. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by MFJ; 4th August 2009 at 02:44 AM.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pasig
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    sorry matt, i usually mess up with my encoding when im at the office. The one that i am pertaining to was Dior Homme Thanks again!

  17. #17
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,224
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    My answer still stands then, they are nothing like DH

  18. #18
    TimothyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Davao, Philippines
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Hey, I'm from the Philippines too, (Davao) and I make it a point to go to cash & carry whenever I'm in manila to sample and buy a few scents. do a read up on the many many reviews here in BN, and You'll be sure to purchase tons of blind buys When you hit C&C (kasi yung iba, sorry sir, wlang tester) you'll end up thinking I don't need a tester, I can imagine the scent in my head, I know I do. hehe.

    If you like fahrenheit, Give "Grey Flannel" a try, it has the same prominent Violet note in the scent and is close to having the same longevity and sillage as fahrenheit.

    oh, and give Estee Lauder's pleasure, I always thought of it as a really nice,sweet and fresh fragrance.

    P.S. Let me know if you're into swaps, I might have a few bottles you're interested in.

  19. #19
    TimothyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Davao, Philippines
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Oh btw, if you thought Cash & Carry is cheap, give Ebay a whirl. It's about half as cheap as C&C, 1/4 the price than retail. the only down side is it takes a few weeks before the frag you order arrives. but then again, I Love the suspense. I'm still waiting on 13 bottles to come in. -_-

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pasig
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    My answer still stands then, they are nothing like DH
    then i'd be adding DH to my Blind buy list again. Thanks again matt

    Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    Hey, I'm from the Philippines too, (Davao) and I make it a point to go to cash & carry whenever I'm in manila to sample and buy a few scents. do a read up on the many many reviews here in BN, and You'll be sure to purchase tons of blind buys When you hit C&C (kasi yung iba, sorry sir, wlang tester) you'll end up thinking I don't need a tester, I can imagine the scent in my head, I know I do. hehe.

    If you like fahrenheit, Give "Grey Flannel" a try, it has the same prominent Violet note in the scent and is close to having the same longevity and sillage as fahrenheit.

    oh, and give Estee Lauder's pleasure, I always thought of it as a really nice,sweet and fresh fragrance.

    P.S. Let me know if you're into swaps, I might have a few bottles you're interested in.
    hey, actually it's C&C where i go to when i cannot find hard to find treasures in malls. but yeah, if you plan going there be sure you have done your homework before buying. My main turn-off ther is their lack of testers but you can buy perfumes there per ML which i find a good alternative

    PS:

    Ive seen some Creeds there

  21. #21
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,224
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Quote Originally Posted by mralviar View Post
    then i'd be adding DH to my Blind buy list again. Thanks again matt
    welcome, but I honestly didn't like DH too much and won't suggest you do a blind on it. If you like powdery sweet, you may like it though.
    Last edited by MFJ; 4th August 2009 at 03:57 AM.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pasig
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    oh,ok matt. thanks again

  23. #23
    Markx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United Arab Emirates
    Posts
    101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Recommendations for a new frag in my wardrobe

    Nina Ricci Memoire d'Homme
    XS Black
    Boss Soul

Similar Threads

  1. Help! Looking for a frag' (m/unisex) with coconut, BUT ...
    By Sybarite in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 19th December 2013, 08:03 PM
  2. Forest frag = found
    By LedByMyNose in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 1st January 2009, 10:54 PM
  3. my 21 (!) samples and 1 frag arrived
    By Roc_Xel in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 15th July 2008, 08:50 PM
  4. Fragrance Wardrobe Highlander
    By Somerville Metro Man in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 4th March 2008, 06:29 PM
  5. Need help with wardrobe!
    By big_b in forum Community Centre Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th February 2008, 04:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •