Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Reviewers to Follow

I have ready a lot of reviews, and many reviewers have done a lot, but it cannot just be about quantity. Which are the reviewers who you would recommend as giving good balanced advice and reviews. No doubt there are a few gems tucked away by people who haven't done that many.

Default Re: Best Reviewers to Follow

Quantity is no assurance of quality, but you will find that the reviewers who have written so many critiques are very good at it. Its hard to pick out favourites, as I have often enjoyed reading a review written by a virtual unknown. We seem blessed here on Basenotes that there are so many people willing to contribute.

Blog Entries

A good reviewer for me is one whose taste is near mine and whose experience is wider. That might not be the best reviewer for you. I suggest reading the reviews of the fragrances you have or know well. See whose reviews reflect what you like and don't like. Go to the reviewer's Public Profile, find other reviews, etc.

Dependent

As far as BN reviewers, I like Vibert's the most, but there seems to be a problem. For example, he doesn't seem to be able to detect notes that I do, so I suspect we have different sensitivities, and when I read his reviews I have to keep that in mind. It's best to read a lot of reviews and try to get a sense of a "composite" assessment. There are other sites that have a lot of reviews, such as Perfume Emporium, so I'd suggest reading those as well. However, since I find that my tastes still change somewhat, I mostly swap now, because I don't see the point in spending money on something I might not like that much in a month or so.

It is indeed a personal preference, but for experience, balance, clarity and openness,I look to Vibert, foetidus, and odysseusm. Odysseusm is of special importance because we're both Coneheads (lovers of the coniferous scents). If you keep checking up on fragrances that appeal to you (or don't appeal to you!), chances are you'll soon discover those reviewers whose ideas and opinions and style work for you. Just in case--make sure to check the last review on a given page to see whether other reviews appear on following pages. If the order of appearance is last review first, then you could miss out on important reviews if you're limited to just one page.

I can't tell you how much I've learned from all my fellow fragrance lovers.

I always check out Scentimus - whatever he writes on a scent, usually pretty much accords with what I think of it when I finally try it - although this often happens a year later, when I actually come across it.
    Renato

Big Punisher

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    A good reviewer for me is one whose taste is near mine and whose experience is wider.
    Can I nominate this for Most Sensible Suggestion on Basenotes 2009? This is a beautiful insight, beautifully worded.

That being said, Naed Nitram is a giant. And the Baron de Charlus.

I like Naed Nitram for his unique creativity, Vibert for his effort and thoughtfulness to do a great job, Trebor for being a straight shooter and getting to the point, and foetidus for his effort and because his tastes closely parallels mine. I also like odysseum (sp?) because we both love green fragrances!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I think there are reviewers who are clearly "classical" in their approach, comprehensive, with a review from start to finish, a note to note approach with often very fine-tuned perceptions regarding the relationships between notes...foetidus, Vibert (a bit more interpretative)...

with that said, I find myself more and more appreciative of shorter reviews in the school of SirSlanty which have less a need to be so comprehensive in that sense but more about what "hits you." Why? A bit bored reading about openings, more about the sum total effect which in some scents DOES require mention of openings but when it's relevant. In the end it does come down to liking or not liking, does it make me smell good/feel good?

less about talking myself in and out of liking and disliking...

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Can I nominate this for Most Sensible Suggestion on Basenotes 2009? This is a beautiful insight, beautifully worded.

That being said, Naed Nitram is a giant. And the Baron de Charlus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I like Naed Nitram for his unique creativity, Vibert for his effort and thoughtfulness to do a great job, Trebor for being a straight shooter and getting to the point, and foetidus for his effort and because his tastes closely parallels mine. I also like odysseum (sp?) because we both love green fragrances!
    Count me in as a massive Naed Nitram fan :wave:. He ( was/is ?) a nice change of pace in the reviews.

Foetidus.

A good reviewer for me is one whose taste is near mine and whose experience is wider.
    Agreed!

There are several people with whom I almost always agree. I also have a scent-opposite, if he likes something I generally know to stay away from it.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by awayalonealong View Post
    If you keep checking up on fragrances that appeal to you (or don't appeal to you!), chances are you'll soon discover those reviewers whose ideas and opinions and style work for you.
    +1

I'm still new to the fragrance community but once I found Vibert's review of Halston Z-14 (a favorite frag of mine) I knew that I had found a nose I could count on.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Post Re: Best Reviewers to Follow

You, are your own best reviewer. Follow your nose!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

A good reviewer for me is one whose taste is near mine and whose experience is wider. That might not be the best reviewer for you. I suggest reading the reviews of the fragrances you have or know well. See whose reviews reflect what you like and don't like. Go to the reviewer's Public Profile, find other reviews, etc.
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    Foetidus.
    Agreed, hard working reviewer who is usually very fair and balanced with little, or no, ego involvement.

foetidus' reviews are usually excellent and thorough. The only "problem" is that he seems to be too generous, leading to the impression that he has a rotation of well over 1000 frags. I'd be curious to know if some frags that he said he liked and wore once in a while are still in his rotation, or if he "moved on." What about Horizon, for example? How often do you wear that one now? Just curious.

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Thank you...

This is why I never understood those "Which should I buy, X or Y?" threads... You can get 50 replies telling you why X is better for a multitude of reasons, but when you have them on your arm, and Y smells better to you then you will (rightfully so) buy fragrance Y...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    foetidus' reviews are usually excellent and thorough. The only "problem" is that he seems to be too generous, leading to the impression that he has a rotation of well over 1000 frags. I'd be curious to know if some frags that he said he liked and wore once in a while are still in his rotation, or if he "moved on." What about Horizon, for example? How often do you wear that one now? Just curious.

;-)
    You imply that it is not possible to like something if you don't wear it regularly.

That is not logical to me. I like many fragrances that I will seldom, if ever, wear again.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I don't understand that at all, TwoRoads, but that's okay. I'm addressing the actual reviews, where foetidus talks about wearing a frag as if he does so regularly. It just seems impossible with that number in your closet, so I'd like to know about that, so that his reviews will be even more useful to people like myself.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Thank you...

This is why I never understood those "Which should I buy, X or Y?" threads... You can get 50 replies telling you why X is better for a multitude of reasons, but when you have them on your arm, and Y smells better to you then you will (rightfully so) buy fragrance Y...
    Exactly.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't understand that at all, TwoRoads, but that's okay. I'm addressing the actual reviews, where foetidus talks about wearing a frag as if he does so regularly. It just seems impossible with that number in your closet, so I'd like to know about that, so that his reviews will be even more useful to people like myself.
    I'm sure that when he writes his reviews, he probably is wearing that particular fragrance with regularity... That's how he is able to pick out all of the intricacies of that scent...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    There are several people with whom I almost always agree. I also have a scent-opposite, if he likes something I generally know to stay away from it.
    That about sums it up for me.

One thing to watch ourselves for in "following" reviewers is the tendency of some of them to "think their way" out of liking a scent (or into liking it) based on various considerations esp. of individual notes/combos...fine. We all have our prferences and dislikes...they are simply THAT! And we do that.

Don't take objectifying subjective likes/dislikes for some kind of higher truth or an objective truth...esp. when the process of this gets overly emphasized...

Wear what YOU like...because in the end scent is personal and immediate and a summation...

Less and less inclined to the "analytic school," more to reviews in the school of Sir Slanty and yes, many BN newbies...IMO, this is really more about the subjective truth of scent...the experience of it...and while appearing "less sophisticated" of an approach may actually be more sophisticated...

Foetidus is my hero. I don't know if he is too generous or not but I generally make an effort to read his words on a fragrance as they hit the mark for accuracy.

Blog Entries

Thank you.

I also agree that it's possible to like lots of fragrances that I don't wear. Some are fun & some are interesting. Some are references for types and I compare others to them. And most importantly, there are the one's I want to smell on my wife!

Foetidus, Odysseum, and Sir Slarty tend to be names I look for most. It seems they all have the same taste I do and get their point across without being too garrulous.

Oh and matthewfoo too I think there's actually 3 more but I tend to just look at their avatar and not their name
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 3rd August 2009 at 02:45 AM.

;-)
    For an example of "too generous" read his review of Giorgio For Men...when you do the math is it a thumbs up or a neutral?

BTW, I don't always get that impression necessarily but more like he has used the stuff and reviewed it...but frankly, I see what you mean...with certain phrases open to interp....

No one is infallible....but really let's not fail to appreciate his opus...his truly great contribution...
    Last edited by ortho123; 3rd August 2009 at 11:35 AM.

I like the more analytical style of reviewing... A bit about a frag's history, something nice about its innovative qualities, comparisons to other frags perhaps... AND I read reviews to find out what ppl that I believe are more knowledgeable than I am think. Scentemental is the one I usually look for in the reviews AND community section.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

AromiErotici

All the reviewing "styles" are valuable to me when I'm researching a potential purchase. There are truly alot of good reviewers here; so much so that I cannot imagine looking elsewhere for info when it comes to buying a bottle.

We all know the regular reviewers we have more in common with. I take that and usually run with it if it's a blind purchase. There has been very few bad buys on my part doing it this way.

Blog Entries

For me, it was pluran before he took away his reviews. Foetidus is awesome, but he has done so many of them that its hard for me to discern whether I would like something he likes or not.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Not to take this off-track, but many of my favorite noses post their views in this community rather than in the Fragrance Directory.

Edit, for clarification:
    foetidus is my favorite reviewer. I blind-buy many of my fragrances. His opinion, along with that of several other reviewers and community members, weigh heavily with me - especially when those opinions are negative.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 3rd August 2009 at 11:45 PM.

There was a major thread on this about 6 weeks ago. See:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=229033

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Not to take this off-track, but many of my favorite noses post their views in this community rather than in the Fragrance Directory.
    Very true.

To be clear, if foetidus could chime in here and tell us what he's up to with some of these frags (especially the ones he reviewed earliest), it would help many of us have a better idea about how to use his reviews to help us make decisions or understand the frag better (in the event we never sample it). It would be a "win-win situation," IMO.

Best Reviewers to Follow:
    1. Yourself today and yourself in the future. (Re-visit the scents!)
    2. One whose taste is near you that has greater experience
    3. Someone you trust has sampled the scent extensively and is quite familiar with the scent or accustomed to it at the time of review.
    4. People who don't have any self-interests involved in the review.
    5. Neutral bandwagon-immune reviewers.

Worst Reviewers to Follow:
    1. Pretentious 'Creative' flowery reviewers that are winding and take millenia to get to the point. An example:

"The perfume is both classic and very modern with a seeming in-built chameleon-like capacity to adapt to any situation ... In the top notes, you will discover an edgy, unusual sensation that is very "tomorrow". In the base notes you smell the fruity chypres of yore, the ambergris and oakmoss of another era. The perfume thus subtly sandwiches slices of time."

So uh, how does a perfume that manages to subtly sandwich time smell like?

Excerpt from: http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...e_noire_1.html

2. One whose tastes greatly differs from you.
    3. Someone you think didn't sample the scent extensively. (e.g. dab, write, repeat)
    4. From people who write to please others or get +1's.

All in my personal opinion of course.
    Last edited by moltening; 3rd August 2009 at 07:51 PM.

Harry Potter and Gollum. My personal favorites.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

May I also add to the list not 2 "reviewers" of male fragrances per se but 2 female commentators on male fragrances whose clear opinions/valuations of the classics and tradition have been an influence and inspiration and affirmation for me: 3xasif and Brielle...I esp. find refreshing Brielle's sense of not running after everything that's "new." Hasn't Tom Ford's own dialog with tradition already made that point to those who might not otherwise listen?

I frequently find the discussion on threads more useful than actual "reviews."

And may I also add pertuccijc whose clear statement is to "Wear what YOU like."

Again I am increasingly less swept away by seemingly more "objective" summaries of scents where statements about individual note and note combinations contain either obvious self-contradictions or simply exist as statements made more precise/believable through reference to notes/note combinations "perceived." In the end it equals "I just don't like it.' Fine. I'd rather hear just that with simply relevant referentiality. To be evenhanded, such statements are sometimes accompanied by clearer statements of preferences, but IMO, they more often get "read back and into" the summary...the details...and I have become recently aware of that.
    Last edited by ortho123; 4th August 2009 at 01:47 PM.

SirSlarty is excellent.

Blog Entries

When I'm checking the stuff on the shelves at Marshall's/TJMaxx I often just subtract negatives from positives. If I get +10 or higher I'll look for a reviewer who has identified the fragrance category. E.g., right now I have lot of Orientals but almost no Animalicas and I'm trying to better understand Greens.

There are a few whose reviews I enjoy for their knowledge, honesty and passion:
    Brielle
    PurpleBird
    Odysseum

And of course Luca Turin. Yes, some of his reviews don't tell me how the juice actually smells. And his enthusiasms for the unusual go beyond mine. But The Guide is full of useful information.

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    SirSlarty is excellent.
    Agreed. He seems to maintain a keen sense of "beginner's mind" if you know what I mean, in the best way, letting you know what hits him. If this includes ref to notes, fine. If not so much delineation/analysis, that's also fine.

It gets to the point I don't actually care if I agree or disagree with him. He's the kind of reviewer that gives you the green light to connect and then say how you feel about a scent...believe it or not, yourself.

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about this thread and others like it.

Why? Because unlike a discussion about a fragrance where one can say anything about it (e.g., "I like X", "I hate X", "X is my favorite fragrance", "X is abysmal"), when it comes to reviewers we can only speak about what we like. It is impossible to speak as to what we don't like in a direct manner without offending people.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    To be honest, I have mixed feelings about this thread and others like it.

Why? Because unlike a discussion about a fragrance where one can say anything about it (e.g., "I like X", "I hate X", "X is my favorite fragrance", "X is abysmal"), when it comes to reviewers we can only speak about what we like. It is impossible to speak as to what we don't like in a direct manner without offending people.
    There's a difference between stating which reviewers we prefer, even critiquing reviewers we admire and ad hominum attacks. If people's feelings are hurt by that...I am not talking about/defending meanspiritedness here...let's face it among the names mentioned there are a few real giants (in BN circles, even beyond).

Even in great literature there is critique, no author without flaws, or in the case of certain shared practices, room for evaluation. In short, reviews themselves can be reviewed...even our notions about "reviewing." Maybe that's also one of my interests...

Frankly, even when disagreeing or critiquing certain mannerisms or tendencies in any given reviewer, I think that even when "not liking" a great spirit of GRATITUDE should also coexist for the generosity of BN contributors.

BTW, this gratitude also should be extended to the newbies (which I am one)...not only the big names.
    Last edited by ortho123; 5th August 2009 at 01:15 AM.

My up and comer is Somerville Metro Man. He sincerely takes the time to write a descriptive review of the fragrance he tests.

Some are now in the habit of writing very few words with a thumbs down. I believe some (with reviews in the hundreds or thousands) are just padding their stats and not even trying the fragrance other than a sample on paper.

Here's part of a foetidus review; the frag is Nicole Miller for men: "This juxtapositioning of notes is intriguing. There is something extraordinary going on in this fragrance. Amid the exuberance is a powerful darkness. But the energy and the darkness are not conflicting elements, they are opposites within a unity. This is not simply a scent of contrasts — this is a scent of polar opposites — both extremes existing at and in the same time and space. There is no conflict, there is not even a disagreement... This is the doorway; this is Janus. Remarkable scent."

So I think most people can see why I am so curious to know if he still feels that way, and if not, why. If I felt that way about any frag (I don't), I'd wear it at least once a week.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th August 2009 at 03:27 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Here's part of a foetidus review; the frag is Nicole Miller for men: "This juxtapositioning of notes is intriguing. There is something extraordinary going on in this fragrance. Amid the exuberance is a powerful darkness. But the energy and the darkness are not conflicting elements, they are opposites within a unity. This is not simply a scent of contrasts — this is a scent of polar opposites — both extremes existing at and in the same time and space. There is no conflict, there is not even a disagreement... This is the doorway; this is Janus. Remarkable scent."

So I think most people can see why I am so curious to know if he still feels that way, and if not, why. If I felt that way about any frag (I don't), I'd wear it at least once a week.
    I remember that particular review and assessment clearly, as i re-read it just a few days ago when i needed guidance on what to buy as a gift. However, we need to appreciate that a review mostly "freezes in time" what the reviewer feels/thinks/experienced up to the point of review. And because a scent is remarkable does not mean there are not dozens other remarkable scents in one's wardrobe. This could cause a rotation headache

One notices that foetidus actually edits his reviews regularly (like Trebor, Vibert and The Don) - an indication that feelings have changed since the initial review. I believe this is a good indication of integrity and editorial transparency.
    Last edited by perfaddict; 5th August 2009 at 11:38 AM.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Here's part of a foetidus review; the frag is Nicole Miller for men: "This juxtapositioning of notes is intriguing. There is something extraordinary going on in this fragrance. Amid the exuberance is a powerful darkness. But the energy and the darkness are not conflicting elements, they are opposites within a unity. This is not simply a scent of contrasts this is a scent of polar opposites both extremes existing at and in the same time and space. There is no conflict, there is not even a disagreement... This is the doorway; this is Janus. Remarkable scent."

You could always PM him and perhaps he will answer you directly.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I remember that particular review and assessment clearly, as i re-read it just a few days ago when i needed guidance on what to buy as a gift. However, we need to appreciate that a review mostly "freezes in time" what the reviewer feels/thinks/experienced up to the point of review. And because a scent is remarkable does not mean there are not dozens other remarkable scents in one's wardrobe. This could cause a rotation headache

One notices that foetidus actually edits his reviews regularly (like Trebor, Vibert and The Don) - an indication that feelings have changed since the initial review. I believe this is a good indication of integrity and editorial transparency.
    Must every scent reviewed be puchased? Must every "thumbs up" equal a scent in one's rotation? Can I give a "thumbs up" to a scent I appreciate/value but would not wear myself on a fairlly regular basis?

However, if I am giving a "thumbs up" to something I wouldn't wear in a million years (with that sentiment) or even somewhat dislike on others...and if my own positive review contains obvious even multiple contradictions...
    Last edited by ortho123; 5th August 2009 at 10:45 PM.

Here's part of a foetidus review; the frag is Nicole Miller for men: "This juxtapositioning of notes is intriguing. There is something extraordinary going on in this fragrance. Amid the exuberance is a powerful darkness. But the energy and the darkness are not conflicting elements, they are opposites within a unity. This is not simply a scent of contrasts this is a scent of polar opposites both extremes existing at and in the same time and space. There is no conflict, there is not even a disagreement... This is the doorway; this is Janus. Remarkable scent."

Two points:

1. Nicole Miller for Men was discontinued. A reformulated version, introduced several years ago, has not achieved the same reverence as the original. The new NMfM is widely available at discount stores like Marshall's.

2. I agree with scentsitivity. Biglsy, I feel that this line of inquiry should be taken to PMs between you and foetidus. You are trying to start the same sh*t with him that you started with Luca Turin. I, for one, am not "curious to know if he still feels that way." Leave the man alone.

AromiErotici

Being able to edit is a valuable asset since we all have some frags we have changed our minds about one way or the other.

foetidus has some of the most informative reviews on here. Biglsy, you only seem to gravitate toward frags that are cheap in price and subdued on top notes, so why all the drama?

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Being able to edit is a valuable asset since we all have some frags we have changed our minds about one way or the other.

foetidus has some of the most informative reviews on here. Biglsy, you only seem to gravitate toward frags that are cheap in price and subdued on top notes, so why all the drama?
    To read a masterful edit by foetidus check out his second take on English Leather. BTW, foetidus, I think that "indeterminable citrus" is something like orange blossom...I could be wrong...

Let's not forget that the scents also change:reformulations...
    Last edited by ortho123; 6th August 2009 at 01:06 AM.

LT PMed me and we had an interesting exchange of ideas, actually. If you disagree with my assessment, that's fine, but I do not feel comfortable sending PMs, and to be honest, do not like it when someone PMs me with something that can simply be posted on the relevant thread, but "that's life." If anyone thinks that "sh*t" is being "started," I can't help that. It is your attempt to read my mind, for whatever reason, and that kind of thing I just "laugh off." I made it clear that I considered his reviews excellent and thorough, and also that they could be more useful if we knew, in general, if he has a rotation of around 1000 frags or if he has "outgrown" some frags. If he doesn't want to respond here, that is fine, but I think many BNers would like to know, not just me.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th August 2009 at 11:14 PM.

LT PMed me and we had an interesting exchange of ideas, actually. If you disagree with my assessment, that's fine, but I do not feel comfortable sending PMs, and to be honest, do not like it when someone PMs me with something that can simply be posted on the relevant thread, but "that's life." If anyone thinks that "sh*t" is being "started," I can't help that. It is your attempt to read my mind, for whatever reason, and that kind of thing I just "laugh off." I made it clear that I considered his reviews excellent and thorough, and also that they could be more useful if we knew, in general, if he has a rotation of around 1000 frags or if he has "outgrown" some frags. If he doesn't want to respond here, that is fine, but I think many BNers would like to know, not just me.
    I do think you make some good points, and I do see at that same time a great contribution made by foetidus.

For me, the review process has inherent risks, esp. the more analytical it gets. There was a review I was reading earlier by foetidus where he essentially asserts looking for particular notes and not finding them, in a sense acknowleging this predilection. Such an admission is excruciatingly honest. But as I stated, no one is infallible, and I think he would be the first to admit that.

Please forgive my earlier PM. I meant no harm, and will not do it again. I agree that the thread itself remains the best forum, esp. since I have said little different.

I do not think the curiosity regarding "how to use" his reviews has a meaningful context, nor does the extent of his collection or how it is utilized..and I have summarized my sense of "thumbs up" and only certain limitations...

Issues of some cases of overgenerosity I do agree with. They are relatively few? And many of us have at times been too harsh.

Hey, let's take on Anton Chekhov tommorow...or even Dostoevsky..

.A Russian saint said, "Be hard on yourself, easy on other people."

As someone who has worked in psychiatric/medical care and now as a consultant, I have met very few people as patients who are truly hard on themselves...frankly, the abiding characteristic of most even in the midst of their suffering is a lack of humility.

Let's all grow in humility...and happiness...at times ask for forgiveness...forgive each other...and lighten up...
    Last edited by ortho123; 6th August 2009 at 12:16 AM.

I am not attempting to read your mind, I am commenting upon what you actually do - the actions you take and the words you say.

I do think you are the only BNer that wants to know whether foetidus has "a rotation of around 1000 frags or if he has "outgrown" some frags." But in the interest of pseudo-intellectualism, let's open this up for a show of hands.

WOULD ALL THOSE WHO JOIN BIGSLY IN CALLING OUT FOETIDUS, PLEASE RAISE YOUR HAND.

Again, I am not "calling out" anyone, but I can't stop you from seeing the world the way you wish. If others don't see things my way on this point, that's fine, but I live in the USA, where there is this little thing called "freedom of speech." I have been criticized in ways I consider inappropriate or inaccurate on some BN threads, but it's not my newsgroup, and so I just "let it go." If I have said something horrendous on this thread, I am sure one of the moderators will let me know. In the meantime, I will continue to exercise my rights the way I see fit. Some here on BN seem to be highly reactive and super-sensitive, but again, there's nothing I can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ortho123 View Post
    ...frankly, the abiding characteristic of most even in the midst of their suffering is a lack of humility.

Let's all grow in humility...and happiness...at times ask for forgiveness...forgive each other...and lighten up...
    Well said!

I don't always achieve humility but it is something I strive for daily.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 6th August 2009 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post

Wow this has been discussed a lot already hasn't it? I read every review that is listed in the review section and I appreciate each one that people take the time to write. I learn more about fragrances from the reviews than from the Community section or from my own trials of scents - and I test lots of fragrances. The reviews are an invaluable resource. I appreciate every review written. In fact I often wonder why so many members don't write reviews at all? We need to hear your opinions and your views please.

I don't think it is fair to single out "the best reviewer to follow" because there are many excellent reviewers whose analysis and views are important to read, but I wouldn't recommend you follow them. You have to really decide for yourself on these things. But their reviews can give you lots of valuable information and inputs about what scents to look for and what details within a scent to try to find. Some of the best reviewers have conclusions that I absolutely disagree with - but their written record of opinion is so valuable to read and consider.

All this said, my favorites are:
    Foetidus for his well written objective analysis of so many fragrances. His reviews alone would make a wonderful and informative book on fragrance. I also look forward to Vibert's reviews because he is able to sort out notes and uncover the fragrance story better than most anyone else. As much as I appreiate Vibert's reviews, I rarely agree with his conclusions on what he likes and doesn't like. Odysseum seems to be one of the most generous and positive reviewers so I enjoy his reviews greatly. I tend to like what he likes too. Sir Slarty's views are brief and to the point and reflect his immediate opinion - I appreciate that and agree with most all of his conclusions too. JaimeB sure is spot on in his reviews and I enjoy them greatly - he just needs to submit more of them. I also like Trebor for his ability to find what is wrong with everything - Trebor likes very few fragrances but those he does like are gems! PigeonMurderer's reviews are also an excellent view into the newer and edgier fragrances out there - I appreciate his courage to speak up for things in the face of other opposing views!

I appreciate all those who take the time to write reviews. thank you!
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 6th August 2009 at 01:06 AM.