Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Best Reviewers to Follow

I have ready a lot of reviews, and many reviewers have done a lot, but it cannot just be about quantity. Which are the reviewers who you would recommend as giving good balanced advice and reviews. No doubt there are a few gems tucked away by people who haven't done that many.

Default Re: Best Reviewers to Follow

Quantity is no assurance of quality, but you will find that the reviewers who have written so many critiques are very good at it. Its hard to pick out favourites, as I have often enjoyed reading a review written by a virtual unknown. We seem blessed here on Basenotes that there are so many people willing to contribute.

Blog Entries

A good reviewer for me is one whose taste is near mine and whose experience is wider. That might not be the best reviewer for you. I suggest reading the reviews of the fragrances you have or know well. See whose reviews reflect what you like and don't like. Go to the reviewer's Public Profile, find other reviews, etc.

Dependent

As far as BN reviewers, I like Vibert's the most, but there seems to be a problem. For example, he doesn't seem to be able to detect notes that I do, so I suspect we have different sensitivities, and when I read his reviews I have to keep that in mind. It's best to read a lot of reviews and try to get a sense of a "composite" assessment. There are other sites that have a lot of reviews, such as Perfume Emporium, so I'd suggest reading those as well. However, since I find that my tastes still change somewhat, I mostly swap now, because I don't see the point in spending money on something I might not like that much in a month or so.

It is indeed a personal preference, but for experience, balance, clarity and openness,I look to Vibert, foetidus, and odysseusm. Odysseusm is of special importance because we're both Coneheads (lovers of the coniferous scents). If you keep checking up on fragrances that appeal to you (or don't appeal to you!), chances are you'll soon discover those reviewers whose ideas and opinions and style work for you. Just in case--make sure to check the last review on a given page to see whether other reviews appear on following pages. If the order of appearance is last review first, then you could miss out on important reviews if you're limited to just one page.

I can't tell you how much I've learned from all my fellow fragrance lovers.

I always check out Scentimus - whatever he writes on a scent, usually pretty much accords with what I think of it when I finally try it - although this often happens a year later, when I actually come across it.
    Renato

Big Punisher

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    A good reviewer for me is one whose taste is near mine and whose experience is wider.
    Can I nominate this for Most Sensible Suggestion on Basenotes 2009? This is a beautiful insight, beautifully worded.

That being said, Naed Nitram is a giant. And the Baron de Charlus.

I like Naed Nitram for his unique creativity, Vibert for his effort and thoughtfulness to do a great job, Trebor for being a straight shooter and getting to the point, and foetidus for his effort and because his tastes closely parallels mine. I also like odysseum (sp?) because we both love green fragrances!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I think there are reviewers who are clearly "classical" in their approach, comprehensive, with a review from start to finish, a note to note approach with often very fine-tuned perceptions regarding the relationships between notes...foetidus, Vibert (a bit more interpretative)...

with that said, I find myself more and more appreciative of shorter reviews in the school of SirSlanty which have less a need to be so comprehensive in that sense but more about what "hits you." Why? A bit bored reading about openings, more about the sum total effect which in some scents DOES require mention of openings but when it's relevant. In the end it does come down to liking or not liking, does it make me smell good/feel good?

less about talking myself in and out of liking and disliking...

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Can I nominate this for Most Sensible Suggestion on Basenotes 2009? This is a beautiful insight, beautifully worded.

That being said, Naed Nitram is a giant. And the Baron de Charlus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I like Naed Nitram for his unique creativity, Vibert for his effort and thoughtfulness to do a great job, Trebor for being a straight shooter and getting to the point, and foetidus for his effort and because his tastes closely parallels mine. I also like odysseum (sp?) because we both love green fragrances!
    Count me in as a massive Naed Nitram fan :wave:. He ( was/is ?) a nice change of pace in the reviews.

Foetidus.

A good reviewer for me is one whose taste is near mine and whose experience is wider.
    Agreed!

There are several people with whom I almost always agree. I also have a scent-opposite, if he likes something I generally know to stay away from it.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by awayalonealong View Post
    If you keep checking up on fragrances that appeal to you (or don't appeal to you!), chances are you'll soon discover those reviewers whose ideas and opinions and style work for you.
    +1

I'm still new to the fragrance community but once I found Vibert's review of Halston Z-14 (a favorite frag of mine) I knew that I had found a nose I could count on.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Post Re: Best Reviewers to Follow

You, are your own best reviewer. Follow your nose!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

A good reviewer for me is one whose taste is near mine and whose experience is wider. That might not be the best reviewer for you. I suggest reading the reviews of the fragrances you have or know well. See whose reviews reflect what you like and don't like. Go to the reviewer's Public Profile, find other reviews, etc.
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    Foetidus.
    Agreed, hard working reviewer who is usually very fair and balanced with little, or no, ego involvement.

foetidus' reviews are usually excellent and thorough. The only "problem" is that he seems to be too generous, leading to the impression that he has a rotation of well over 1000 frags. I'd be curious to know if some frags that he said he liked and wore once in a while are still in his rotation, or if he "moved on." What about Horizon, for example? How often do you wear that one now? Just curious.

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    You, are your own best reviewer. Follow your nose!
    Thank you...

This is why I never understood those "Which should I buy, X or Y?" threads... You can get 50 replies telling you why X is better for a multitude of reasons, but when you have them on your arm, and Y smells better to you then you will (rightfully so) buy fragrance Y...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    foetidus' reviews are usually excellent and thorough. The only "problem" is that he seems to be too generous, leading to the impression that he has a rotation of well over 1000 frags. I'd be curious to know if some frags that he said he liked and wore once in a while are still in his rotation, or if he "moved on." What about Horizon, for example? How often do you wear that one now? Just curious.

;-)
    You imply that it is not possible to like something if you don't wear it regularly.

That is not logical to me. I like many fragrances that I will seldom, if ever, wear again.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I don't understand that at all, TwoRoads, but that's okay. I'm addressing the actual reviews, where foetidus talks about wearing a frag as if he does so regularly. It just seems impossible with that number in your closet, so I'd like to know about that, so that his reviews will be even more useful to people like myself.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Thank you...

This is why I never understood those "Which should I buy, X or Y?" threads... You can get 50 replies telling you why X is better for a multitude of reasons, but when you have them on your arm, and Y smells better to you then you will (rightfully so) buy fragrance Y...
    Exactly.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't understand that at all, TwoRoads, but that's okay. I'm addressing the actual reviews, where foetidus talks about wearing a frag as if he does so regularly. It just seems impossible with that number in your closet, so I'd like to know about that, so that his reviews will be even more useful to people like myself.
    I'm sure that when he writes his reviews, he probably is wearing that particular fragrance with regularity... That's how he is able to pick out all of the intricacies of that scent...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    There are several people with whom I almost always agree. I also have a scent-opposite, if he likes something I generally know to stay away from it.
    That about sums it up for me.

One thing to watch ourselves for in "following" reviewers is the tendency of some of them to "think their way" out of liking a scent (or into liking it) based on various considerations esp. of individual notes/combos...fine. We all have our prferences and dislikes...they are simply THAT! And we do that.

Don't take objectifying subjective likes/dislikes for some kind of higher truth or an objective truth...esp. when the process of this gets overly emphasized...

Wear what YOU like...because in the end scent is personal and immediate and a summation...

Less and less inclined to the "analytic school," more to reviews in the school of Sir Slanty and yes, many BN newbies...IMO, this is really more about the subjective truth of scent...the experience of it...and while appearing "less sophisticated" of an approach may actually be more sophisticated...

Foetidus is my hero. I don't know if he is too generous or not but I generally make an effort to read his words on a fragrance as they hit the mark for accuracy.

Blog Entries

Thank you.

I also agree that it's possible to like lots of fragrances that I don't wear. Some are fun & some are interesting. Some are references for types and I compare others to them. And most importantly, there are the one's I want to smell on my wife!

Foetidus, Odysseum, and Sir Slarty tend to be names I look for most. It seems they all have the same taste I do and get their point across without being too garrulous.

Oh and matthewfoo too I think there's actually 3 more but I tend to just look at their avatar and not their name
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 3rd August 2009 at 02:45 AM.

;-)
    For an example of "too generous" read his review of Giorgio For Men...when you do the math is it a thumbs up or a neutral?

BTW, I don't always get that impression necessarily but more like he has used the stuff and reviewed it...but frankly, I see what you mean...with certain phrases open to interp....

No one is infallible....but really let's not fail to appreciate his opus...his truly great contribution...
    Last edited by ortho123; 3rd August 2009 at 11:35 AM.