Code of Conduct

Question Crown Perfumery blind buy. Any advice?

Tell me what can I expect? Here I go again...

The ghost of Comte d’Orsay (no doubt in the form of an incubus) persuaded me to take yet another gamble (away from the card tables and from the perfume counter) and buy Sandringham EDT from Crown Perfumery totally blind. LOL!

I was egged on by the reviews, esp. the one made by Merbert, who is also female. I could not resist the description of “in-your-face.” (I like very strong scents. This week, I wore Dior’s Poison out to dinner with my husband.)

In particular, I am interested in how the Sandringham muguet/floral notes will play out, as the garconne in me likes to experiment with masculine florals. (I bought MPGs Parfum d’Habit also blind for this very reason, on top of the rumour that they are going out of business.)

I was intrigued by JaimeB’s review. Yes, Sandringham is the royal estate once occupied by Edward VII, the monarch who inspired the scent. Sandringham was bought in 1861 by Queen Victoria as a royal residence for her son, known then as “Bertie,” and his new bride, the beautiful Danish Princess Alexandra. The stately home was purchased from a man of fashion much burdened by debts from high living, and his lovely Irish wife. The man was The Honourable Charles Spencer Cowper (stepson of Prime Minister Lord Palmerston and younger son of Earl Cowper) and his wife Lady Harriet, the remarried widow of none other than Comte d’Orsay himself.

Please advise.
    Last edited by Primrose; 1st August 2009 at 12:41 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Crown Perfumery blind buy. Any advice?

If you like herbal scents which don't take a back seat to anyone, you'll LOVE this. I do! :bounce: It is old-school, very gracious and classy. The muguet note takes a while to appear from the mossy, spicy notes. When it does it is lovely.
    BTW - there is a Crown Perfumery social group here on BN. Check it out!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I suppose you must have read my review of Sandringham. I reread it myself just now, and I believe I can confirm that my impression of this has not changed. I hope that's what you wanted to know.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    If you like herbal scents which don't take a back seat to anyone, you'll LOVE this. I do! :bounce: It is old-school, very gracious and classy. The muguet note takes a while to appear from the mossy, spicy notes. When it does it is lovely.
    BTW - there is a Crown Perfumery social group here on BN. Check it out!
    Thank you, OdysseusM and JaimeB! As seasoned BNers, I respect your impressions.

I DO like herbal scents: sage, vervain, lavender, clove, anise...and I am glad the muguet makes a pronounced appearance.

I do NOT, however, like timid scents. After all, if a scent cannot be detected by the wearer or others, what is the point?

I profess to, how shall we say, "olfactory gallantry." I like almost *all* perfumes!

The Sandringham will arrive any day now, and I will be able to sample this!

Thank you for mentioning the BN Crown group. The prices for some are only $21.95 USD at some sellers! I want to try the women's green floral Crown Bouquet!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Let us know what you think -- and I hope you enjoy it.
    ody
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I used to love this until it turned on me - I now react allergically to it. It's quite assertive, allright, with a good measure of dandyism. You should enjoy it.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 1st August 2009 at 06:30 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

My bottle of Sandringham arrived today and I doused myself with it...no surprise to those who know me.

The scent settled on me as a lovely, gentle lavender, lily and woody scent. Very androgynous and quietly elegant. Very unique and not like most newer scents. Reviewers called it "old world," and this is apropos. (Lavender notes, such as in Arome Trois by Parfums D'Orsay, are enought to send a scent to the "old" category...)

I like this! A blind buy--and I made good on my wager and then some. With a quick wink to the young croupier (and to my lovely inspiring ghost), I leave the tables as a winner!

Thank you all for the input.

So Crown no longer makes this? Quel dommage...
    Last edited by Primrose; 3rd August 2009 at 09:49 PM.

Shameless plug...I'm selling 3 of their scents!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    My bottle of Sandringham arrived today and I doused myself with it...no surprise to those who know me.

The scent settled on me as a lovely, gentle lavender, lily and woody scent. Very androgynous and quietly elegant. Very unique and not like most newer scents. Reviewers called it "old world," and this is apropos. ...
    Interesting. My skin gobbles up top notes. I'm wearing this today, and as with the previous time the lavender, citrus and florals barely register. Within two seconds I'm into a powerful mossy-herbal vibe with great staying power. If this is a dandy, it is a dandy on steroids.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Interesting. My skin gobbles up top notes. I'm wearing this today, and as with the previous time the lavender, citrus and florals barely register. Within two seconds I'm into a powerful mossy-herbal vibe with great staying power. If this is a dandy, it is a dandy on steroids.
    OdysseusM, thank you for the reply! LOL!

A dandy on steroids? Then you most certainly must have seen the marble portrait bust of Comte d'Orsay in London...all broad shoulders and pecs. (The chap was 6'3" and very athletic with "the face of Apollo and the body of Hercules.")

Actually, the Sandringham stays as a soft floral on me. (The citrus indeed fades.) Not a loud, white floral, but the gentle muguet/lavender mixed with woods.

Oddly, the box says it is made in the United Kingdom, but the bottom of the bottle itself says Parma. Hmmm....
    Last edited by Primrose; 4th August 2009 at 04:30 PM.