Code of Conduct

Default Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire

Looks like VCA has come out with their own "exclusives" that are going to be available at Neiman Marcus in September. Reading the notes, looks like there might be at least 3 of the 6 that can be worn by men: Bois d'Iris, Orchidee Vanille, and Cologne Noire.

185 bucks a pop for EdPs, with the perfumer's formulation number (oooh...aaah )! See below:

The bottles remind me of Terre d'Hermes, don't you think?

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire

Slightly similar to Terre d'hermes............but nicer.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

They look and sound interesting.....I hope that they are better than the D&G Collection.....They did nothing for me.
    Thanks for the pictures and info.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    They look and sound interesting.....I hope that they are better than the D&G Collection.....They did nothing for me.
    Thanks for the pictures and info.
    Gary
    I "like" (using that word loosely) The Lovers and Wheel of Fortune in the D&G Anthology collection. Good longevity, but damn, it smells really synthetic in a bad way.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Thanks iMaverick for the info. But why cannot Van Cleef & Arpels release these as just part of their regular ( and seemingly limited) line ? Maybe have them released over a period of 8 years or so and make a come back as a major player in the fragrance industry.

Blog Entries

These are out now - I saw them for sale today at the NM in San Francisco. Didn't sniff them, though...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Sniffed a few at NM a couple of days ago. The Gardenia is my fav so far.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Wow, thanks for the tip. Who's the nose or noses behind these? I can't wait to give them a sniff.

Interesting.....too bad I wont be near a NM for quite awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Wow, thanks for the tip. Who's the nose or noses behind these? I can't wait to give them a sniff.
    I'm not familiar who these noses are except for Mark Buxton. I saw their names on the NowSmellThis website.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Too expensive for me.

Hopefully the quality of the juice justifies the price...unlike some niche frags/houses.

Agreed, the prices are pretty steep, considering for a little more you can get a jumbo bottle of Les Exclusif. I don't catch much of it in the news, but are niche scents the total buzz right now, or is the thought of uber luxury that's giving a glint of desire in the consumer's eye?

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Was speaking to an sa in Kendals in Manchester today and they are awaiting delivery of them.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Sniffed the entire line at NM recently (and saw a sample pack on ebay)-- these are STRONG, long lasting and quite nice. Compared to other recent releases, I found them all to be quite dense and more like parfum strength. I put three tiny amounts on skin: the Cologne Noire, the Muguet and the Orchidee Vanille. The Cologne Noire and Orchidee Vanille were still on my skin the following morning.
    ~~Huge fan of Hermes, Jean Claude Ellena and Patricia Nicolai!~~
    http://niche-perfume-reviews.blogspot.com/ - my perfume notes

I was expecting more--much MORE, from the line. If one says "extraordinaire", I'm definitely expecting it, and it fell short on creativity. Granted, fine raw materials were used, but you can hardly smell any craftsmanship. A lot of them smelled linear and overly sweet when it wasn't necessary.

Cologne Noire smelled familiar to me--it reminded me a lot of KL Kapsule Light.

The only one that piqued my interest was Bois d'Iris--at first. It was woody and slightly green, with a gentle but definite note of Iris. But then it went sweet and gourmand like which ruined it for me.

For the price, not worth it. But I doubt any would be a permanent part if the collection. I'm sure they'll take away and add as they go.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post

The only one that piqued my interest was Bois d'Iris--at first. It was woody and slightly green, with a gentle but definite note of Iris. But then it went sweet and gourmand like which ruined it for me.
    I'd LOVE to hear more of Bois d'Iris!

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I'd LOVE to hear more of Bois d'Iris!
    I gotta admit though, it has a beautiful smoky, resinous, and honeyed woody note that reminds me a lot of AG's Myrrhe Ardent, but as the drydown approaches, it falls flat--just this blah note of vanilla. I would consider a purchase, but only when it appears at an online discounter or eBay.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I gotta admit though, it has a beautiful smoky, resinous, and honeyed woody note that reminds me a lot of AG's Myrrhe Ardent, but as the drydown approaches, it falls flat--just this blah note of vanilla. I would consider a purchase, but only when it appears at an online discounter or eBay.
    OH NO!!! You didn't say it reminded you of Myrrhe Ardente (one of my favorite all time perfumes of ALL time BTW )!! So this is definetly going to be on my to-try list! Thanks

I just tried three of the six at Neimans. Very conventional transparent florals, lots of iris, powdery, neroli - think big, cliched early 2000s feminine accords. Nothing unisex so far, there is a heavy debt to their fragrance Murmur and to the iris heavy, Chanel line. Why bother? Stricktly for those who are determined to smell 'pretty'.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th September 2009 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gvillecreative View Post
    Sniffed the entire line at NM recently (and saw a sample pack on ebay)-- these are STRONG, long lasting and quite nice. Compared to other recent releases, I found them all to be quite dense and more like parfum strength. I put three tiny amounts on skin: the Cologne Noire, the Muguet and the Orchidee Vanille. The Cologne Noire and Orchidee Vanille were still on my skin the following morning.
    You have 'homed in' on the two of this collection that I'm interested in.

Would like your opinion on whether or not you feel a guy can wear the Orchidee Vanille without coming across as TOO femme. I think I may have fallen in love with this one.
    Last edited by SoGent; 12th September 2009 at 10:30 PM.

I just finished going through all six of them, and was pretty impressed. Bois d'Iris would be my favourite, and is definitely the most interesting of the lot. When the cooler weather rolls around I'll definitely go and buy it. Dry, sweet warm woods, soft plush iris, very nice.

Orchidee Vanille impressed me too. I'm not a tobacco/rum/vanilla fan really, stuff like Spiritueuse Double Vanille and Havana Vanille are not for me at all, so I was pleased that this was a different take. It began as a less woody Le Labo Vanille 44, the same citrus/vanilla blend except with a few added florals. As it wore the citrus faded and it turned into a lovely toffee-like piece of confectionary, or perhaps more like the top of creme brulee. As far as cosy gourmands go, this was very nice.

Gardenia Petale reminded me a lot of Bond no. 9 Chinatown, except with the volume turned down. It has the same yellow coloured honey sweet vanilla white florals. Very pretty and youthful.

Cologne Noire was nice too, but I prefer Frederic Malle's French Lover or Histoires de Parfum's 1828, which are quite similar if more interesting. Muguet Blanc was perfectly titled, a sparkling clean lilly of the valley, simple and fresh. Lys Carmin was the only one I didn't like, it started off well, a nice milky white floral, but wore into this confused soapy spice closet mess.

I'd say it's certainly worth your while to have a go if you see them in store.

I tried it from sample set (rolls), and found Bois d`Iris to be the best scent in this VCA line.
    It`s not vanilla in drydown though, it`s benjoin (detect those smoky facet on vanilla sweetness?)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Wow, I can't wait to try this one

Where are these being sold?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Neiman Marcus: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...avAction=index

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...t350735&cmCat=

I think they might be exclusive to Neiman Marcus in the US.

Thanks guys. $185 is pretty steep isn't it?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I got a sample of Bois d'Iris from TPC based on the online buzz I've been reading.

It is nice, but not nearly as refined as anything Chanel does with iris. The primary ingredient appears to be Iso E Super which persists for 24 hours after application and gave me a headache both times I wore it. I agree with comments made that the base has vanilla. It may also have benzoin, but the effect is fluffy vanillic. It is like a more feminine Dior Homme. In other words, it has that gray and powdery iris quality with a touch of leather, but rather than the "sweaty" herbal and resin accord, it is clean and vanillc, almost like baby powder for grownups.

I can't justify a purchase, but I do think it smells very nice, and I enjoyed the lingering scent on my sweater a couple days later. If it came in a small bottle for a more reasonable price, then it would be worth considering. For me, none of the modern iris-leather releases have knocked Dior Homme off the mark for great composition and value for money (so far).
    Last edited by Asha; 16th December 2009 at 02:35 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I've got Bois d'Iris, and I've already worn it more than once. It's a very dry iris, with lots of myrrh in the base. It reminds me of Myrrhe Ardente, too. At first the name threw me: I instantly thought they meant the Different Company Bois d'Iris.

I recently decided I'm going to get Lys Carmin also (and remember to pronounce the "s" on "Lys"). At first I thought it might be too strong, but I decided if I went easy on the spray and waited for the first level drydown to go out it would be OK. I'm hoping to pick some up this week.

The Cologne Noire didn't seem to last on my skin; it was great for five minutes, but then dropped below the radar.

I have yet to try the others, but in general, I agree the line is pretty good quality for Van Cleef & Arpels, especially considering how they butchered the Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme in the latest reformulation.

I think the next one of the Extraordinaire line I'll try will be the Orchidée Vanille.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 17th December 2009 at 05:20 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Ahh Asha I found Bois d'Iris far less sharp and sticky than Dior Homme. Shame it gave you a headache though.

And JamieB tell me your thoughts on Lys Carmin, I had a hard time appreciating it. Loved the opening, thought it went a bit downhill after half an hour.

Yes, I would agree with the assessment that Bois d'Iris is "less sticky" than Dior Homme. My thought is that it is clearer or less dense, and without the sweatiness. It is definitely very pretty. If you haven't already, you should also try Mark Buxton's Hot Leather--it is really more of an iris scent than a leather scent. Well done, although it made me appreciate Dior Homme even more
    Last edited by Asha; 16th December 2009 at 01:41 PM.

Eleanore

Hi everybody--I'm new here-but I thought that I'd share my thoughts also. You can get samples of all of them from lucky scent.
    I liked and bought Lys Carmin and Muguet Blanc. They're all lovely--except for Gardenia Petal--it smells like a greenhouse or a very old lady on medication and bad perfume or Fleurissimo. I do agree-they are too expensive.
    Last edited by Eleanore; 14th March 2010 at 02:05 AM.

ALAS!

A little patience finally got me a bottle of Bois d'Iris for half price on CheapBay, still a rare find online. I still cringe at the price! I felt the same way about the priciness of La Prairie's Life Threads--btw, if you're searching for a good chypre that smells chypre in these modern times, you gotta try Platinum.

Back to VCACE--I think Bois d'Iris is the only one with some niche quality attached to it. Wish I could wrap my head around the rest but they smell so ho-hum to me, rather flat without dimension, no surprises.

Oh, and hello, Eleanore! Welcome to the forum, and I wasn't too impressed with Gardenia Petale either--nice in the beginning, it smelled alive and fresh, but it did get rather stuffy and indolic as it progressed. I can imagine it being overapplied by a relative and myself being trapped in a cloud of it in a crowded family party on a hot humid day. *Gasp!*
    Last edited by iMaverick; 3rd March 2010 at 04:14 AM.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

why aren't these listed in the reviews database, anyone?

Bois d'Iris is very similar to Bois d'Argent by Christian Dior.....

Would like to hear more about Orchidee Vanille? I heard it smells good but sits very close to skin. =(

Although I like a few of these, I think my preferred is Cologne Noire

Two years later and still not in the database.....
    anyway, I love and own Bois d'Iris, hate gardenia petale and would love to have the Lys Carmin and Orchidee vanille. They are hard to find and still on the expensive side