Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Bay Rum and why?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trumper

3 10.34%
  • Taylor of Old Bond Street

1 3.45%
  • Clubman

4 13.79%
  • Meehan

3 10.34%
  • Burt Bee

1 3.45%
  • Bigelow

4 13.79%
  • DR Hharris

2 6.90%
  • Ogallala

1 3.45%
  • Dominca

2 6.90%
  • Colonel Ichabod Conk

0 0%
  • St Johns West India Bay Co.

3 10.34%
  • Michelson

1 3.45%
  • St Thomas

0 0%
  • Royall

2 6.90%
  • OTHER

2 6.90%

Thread: Bay Rum Poll

Default Bay Rum Poll

Here we go again.
    What's your favorite Bay Rum?
    And why?

Remember we're not talking about Havana, the scent has got to be primarily, simply--Bay Rum.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: Bay Rum Poll

To me Meehans Bay Rhum, an artisanal brew made in small batches captures the natural aroma of the bay leaf better than any i've tried. I use it as an aftershave as it is exceptionally bracing, and has an excellent overall balance of spices.

I have Clubman and it's too "clovey" for me. I don't care to smell like Christmas punch. Also, another major factor with Bay Rums is longevity.

Having researched Badger & Blade in addition to Basenotes, I have settled on the following 4 Bay Rums to try, all of which reportedly have good longevity and are not predominantly "clovey":

Saint Charles Shave Bay Rum with a Twist (of Lime) (ON ORDER) - NOT LISTED ON POLL
    http://www.saintcharlesshave.com/edt.asp

Meehan
    http://www.bonnydoonfarm.com/catalog/page8.html

Michelsen's
    http://www.caswellmassey.com/Michels...epartmentId=70

Bigelow 032
    http://www.bigelowchemists.com/produ...oducts_id/3904
    Last edited by Moneysuckle; 1st August 2009 at 11:06 AM.

I also have Clubman and it smells strongly of cloves and what smells like cinnamon but is probably other notes overridden by even more cloves. It mixes great with strongly scented suntan lotions like Hawaiian Tropic. It also works very well as a masculine air freshener if mixed with a bit of distilled water in a spray bottle.

I haven't tried any other Bay Rums so I won't vote, other than to say that Clubman isn't quite outstanding, but is great for the price/ml ratio.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Bump - only 6 votes?

I voted for DR Harris, but my real favorite was from Floris, which they have stopped making. I also like St. John's and Royall. Would love to try Burt's Bees, but have never seen any.

Trumper, Dominica and St Johns are my three.
    Unfortunately I can't get the Meehan over here and they won't ship it to me despite repeated entreatments so I haven't tried it. Any US basenotes want to swap a favour ?
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Ogallala, by far.

Because it's freaking amazing. And inexpensive.

Royall, first I smelled and has always stuck with me. Not a fan of Bay Rum otherwise, so I might not be the best critic for this one.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I've been trying to find a good Bay Rum and I hope this thread will shed some light on what's good and what's not.

I sampled Geo F Trumper's Bay Rum and I didn't like it - it was far too clovey. In fact, the only note I could detect was clove.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I voted for Bigelow and really like it a great deal. I had the Clubman one at one point and gave it away. I thought it was really unpleasant. (I like some of the other Pinauds, though.)

I didn't vote.

Bigelow is the only Bay Rum fragrance I have tried. I love it but have nothing to compare it against.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

So my Saint Charles Shave Bay Rum with a Twist came in today. Here's a picture:

So far, I like this much better than Clubman. What I am looking for in a bay rum?

1. Something that I can wear in the Houston heat on its own accord without smelling like Christmas punch.

2. Something I might layer with Montana Parfum d'Homme to get a reasonable facsimile of Aramis Havana.

3. Something with longevity.

The SCS BR has a twist of lime to it. It's a very refreshing scent for tropical summers. I will definitely wear this scent. Longevity-wise, I'm only two hours in, but it's going strong.

Later, I will report back on the Montana layering test.

Cool Re: Bay Rum Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Moneysuckle View Post
    So my Saint Charles Shave Bay Rum with a Twist came in today. Here's a picture:

So far, I like this much better than Clubman. What I am looking for in a bay rum?

1. Something that I can wear in the Houston heat on its own accord without smelling like Christmas punch.

2. Something I might layer with Montana Parfum d'Homme to get a reasonable facsimile of Aramis Havana.

3. Something with longevity.

The SCS BR has a twist of lime to it. It's a very refreshing scent for tropical summers. I will definitely wear this scent. Longevity-wise, I'm only two hours in, but it's going strong.

Later, I will report back on the Montana layering test.
    Well, I don't know about #2 having had luck finding Havana in Santee Alley here in LA, but I'm REALLY in search for the qualities listed on your #1 and #3

The Badger and Blade suggestions of low clove factors have got my attention.
    Please post comparative results with this one!

BtW, I completely forgot that Casswell Massey made Michelsen's!
    If memory serves, I used to like it, then it became harder to find in stores; got their St. Thomas instead which evaporated in about five minutes and was a lightweight all around.

I may not find The Holy Grail, but I am interested in a top notch Bay Rum
    I just looked up some reviews at Amazon.
    As usual, they're confusing.

*sigh*

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Saint Charles Shave BR with a Twist:

Very refreshing summertime scent. Longevity: 3 hours. The twist of lime actually outlasts the bay rum on my skin.

Cool Re: Bay Rum Poll

Update

I found 2 bottles of Burt Bee's Bay Rum. One much darker than the other (and half empty ) I was told it was a sampler and believed them ( but it might have been an earlier un- reformulated version?) In any case, forgive me for speaking ill of the dead but I loathed both of them. Not just drowning the bay rum with heavy spices but spices done wrong. Thick and weirdly sweet. I had to wait a painful half hour to wash the stuff off. I know, there are many BB's fans esp. for their other products, easily found in many drugstores---but I won't shed tears over this one being discontinued.

Found a sample of Michelsen by CM. My memory served me half-right; it is better than St Thomas (also by Caswell-Massey) but I forgot that, while St Thomas evaporated in about 5 min, Michelsen lasted all of 30 min, tops.-At least I didn't get a clove attack!

Oh, well. The Search continues

*sigh*

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 18th August 2009 at 05:06 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Creed BayRhum Vetiver
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445