Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Today I bought ... August 09 purchases...

With every new month, new wonderful acquisitions are in order!

As for me I technically bought two frags yesterday night, but the topic for the July purchases is close so...

Now I'm impatient to receive:

- Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes, 3.3oz in eau de cologne
    - and Ombre Rose de Jean-Charles Brosseau, 3.4 oz Eau de Parfum Spray Edition d'Exception ( Collector Gold Bottle )

Default Re: Today I bought ... August 09 purchases...

I've had Ombre Rose on my mind lately (and a few others). I wore it in the 80's. It's still too early in the month for me to think about any new purchases. I still haven't rec'd last month's cc bill. I may not purchase this month. We'll see how I hold out.

I finished my decant of Ombre Rose a couple of days ago
    I have still some edt but I do like the edp better,and since I found the deluxe edition on Beauty Encounter I couldn't resist ^^

Did the composition of this fragrance changed from the one you wore in the 80's?
    "Notre langage ne vaut rien pour décrire le monde des odeurs."
    [Patrick Süskind]

"Parfois on trouve un vieux flacon qui se souvient
    D'où jaillit toute vive une âme qui revient."

[Baudelaire]

I have some swappage on the way ... Madness Natural Black, Everlast Original 1910, and Fig & Vetiver by Anthousa. All unsniffed which is even better ... I love blind buys! ...
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Guerlain Cologne du 68, it sounded too nice to resist.

Source

An impulse buy which is rare for me. Recommended to me by the Guerlain SA at Neiman Marcus San Francisco. She was just so amazing and knowledgeable.

Aquolina Chocolovers for $7.00 at TJ Maxx. I don't know why...May have been the price.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Wanabelyn: Those SA's at the San Francisco Neimans are pretty incredible. BTW, 68 is just amazing, somehow bright on the top, but drying to that beautiful vanilla in the base. No matter how many times you sniff it during the day, it never smells the same - it goes through so many changes along the way, all of them really nice. It's one of my favorites.

Also, I was at the Geurlain counter today, too. I wonder if we saw eachother....

(there must be a Zen kōan here somewhere: If two basenoters pass by each other at the Neiman Marcus Guerlain counter but they don't realize it, does it make a sound?)

Anyway, I just went nuts and bought Bond No. 9 Chez Bond. Much maligned for its similarity to Green Irish Tweed, I like it way better (sorry, Creed). It just smells sexy to me.

Last edited by rogalal; 2nd August 2009 at 04:32 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I got myself Parfums 06130 Lentisque after using up my sample in record time. I'm entirely taken by it; it's such a soft woody amber-vetiver fragrance. If anyone is interested in trying it, PM me; I've got plenty of it now, as it comes only in 100 ml bottles.

Also I made my first blind buy ever... a 15 ml bottle of Tam Dao (special offer at the perfumed court). I'm prettty excited and... well... a little anxious... but most of all just excited. The bottle should be arriving sometime next week along with samples of the entire CdG Incense line.
    Last edited by potiron; 2nd August 2009 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck View Post
    I finished my decant of Ombre Rose a couple of days ago
    I have still some edt but I do like the edp better,and since I found the deluxe edition on Beauty Encounter I couldn't resist ^^

Did the composition of this fragrance changed from the one you wore in the 80's?
    Gosh, I wish I knew! Hopefully not.

After much sampling, I broke down and bought Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille and Indult Tihota. My change purse is wounded and wimpering. Hubby gets to share my SDV which softens the blow only slightly. No more purchases for the rest of August, ....... maybe even September

Well, I decided I deserved a treat. (I'm easily convinced, so sue me.) So, I was off to ebay and a bottle of original Feminite de Bois EDP is now on its way....so there! At $54 all told, it was pricier than a mere treat, but still, cheaper than therapy.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if this really counts, but, inspired by the thread going on the men's board, I picked up...

Browsing the scents at the L'Occitane boutique and ended up with:

1) Purse spray + refills (a set) of the Notre Flore Jasmin EDP (sale goggles? I hope not)

2) Travel size of the Bergamot Tea

Was also slightly tempted by the Green Tea with Jasmine, but maybe next time.

Also sniffed the new-ish rose (nuits de mai or something like that?) but it's a little too sweet for my liking (the cinnamon is very nice, though).

Basenotes Plus

A 4ml of Beyond Paradise Parfum and some samples of Opium PF.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Blog Entries

I love those SF Neiman Marcus SAs too, though I gotta say the young woman who assisted Kess, Black Cat and I last Tuesday was very sweet and really seemed to know her stuff for being so young. There I go being ageist again. I was I pretty smart cookie at 22ish, I think.

potiron~ I think you'll love Tam Dao. I sure do. It's sits very close so I like to get heavy handed with it. Great price you got, especially for TPC.

rogalal~ If your Old Spice counts, then so does what I just impulse bought-- Rare Rubies by Avon. There is a thread about it on the FFD right now that renewed by interest. I'd noticed in the past that it goes for auction on ebay for quite a bit, more than many designer fragrances, and always lots of bidding. I saw a 15 ml purse spray for $6 buy it now, and decided to snatch it up and see what the fuss is about. It's such a tiny amount that I'm not going to count it toward my budget!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Picked up Penhaligon's Lily & Spice for £30 (half price) BNIBWC (= "with cellophane"!) on Ebay.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

…so there! At $54 all told, it was pricier than a mere treat, but still, cheaper than therapy.
    I saw a 15 ml purse spray for $6 buy it now, and decided to snatch it up and see what the fuss is about. It's such a tiny amount that I'm not going to count it toward my budget!
    I like the way these girls think.

I still haven’t bought anything. I’m just hanging around getting a vicarious thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Wanabelyn: Those SA's at the San Francisco Neimans are pretty incredible. BTW, 68 is just amazing, somehow bright on the top, but drying to that beautiful vanilla in the base. No matter how many times you sniff it during the day, it never smells the same - it goes through so many changes along the way, all of them really nice. It's one of my favorites.

Also, I was at the Geurlain counter today, too. I wonder if we saw eachother....

(there must be a Zen kōan here somewhere: If two basenoters pass by each other at the Neiman Marcus Guerlain counter but they don't realize it, does it make a sound?)

Anyway, I just went nuts and bought Bond No. 9 Chez Bond. Much maligned for its similarity to Green Irish Tweed, I like it way better (sorry, Creed). It just smells sexy to me.

It could be so dangerous if I lived in SF with such amazing SAs around the store.

I was actually there on a Thursday morning, was introduced to the 68 but unfortunately did not end up buying it from the same SA who served me. I didn't think about it again till i saw it when I returned to sydney on Saturday and thought...what the heck I'll buy it!

I'm feeling positive about it now after reading your comments. Sounds multi faceted!

L'Occitane...

Two travel sizes of Notre Flore Jasmin and Myrtle...again! The sale was great.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm trying to defer my spending to the August sniffing extravaganza in San Francisco, so hoping for no full bottles until then.

I bought a set of Parfums DelRae samples -- a steal for $6.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Basenotes Institution

My husband bought me more Opium parfum online yesterday - he is a sweetie.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I bought two bottles of Shiseido's Feminite du Bois online and am now eagerly waiting for them to arrive.

Yesterday I got J Lo's Deseo at a drugstore for a very good price. I like it, smells like beach (which is exactly what I need when it is rainy and cold).
    Last edited by Frenchie Day; 5th August 2009 at 10:54 AM.

Forgot to mention I was at a Gilly Hicks Sydney store for the first time on Friday and came across their fragrances.

Source

The bottles were gorgeous and well made and from the few I picked up and tried they seemed very pleasant and interesting so picked up a sampler set which had a vial of each fragrance.

A cheap thrill.
    Last edited by wannabelyn; 4th August 2009 at 11:44 PM.

Calèche by Hermes and Pi by Givenchy
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

And I just ordered a sample set from Parfums de Rosine, very excited about that because I expect I´ll fall in love with one or two of the rosine
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

MAC Africanimal to match the Naked Honey in the cabinet :-) Ordered it online to save on our stupidly elevated provincial tax (shipping was free). Looooooooooooove a bargain!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

My first Amouage - Lyric!

I broke down and got a bottle of L'Anarchiste ($19 including the shipping) during the Editor's Closet blow out sale. It's scheduled for delivery tomorrow, so I hope I do get it. If anyone ever wants an invite to get on the Editor's Closet sale list, message me with your email address. It's similar to Hautelook if any of you are on that list.

Van Cleef and Arpels First--a forgotten treasure. After I saw it at Saks, I remembered it as an exemplary aldehydic jasmine. It's inexpensive on line, to say the least.

Bought a mini of Chanel No 5 EdT, supposedly vintage. We'll see!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

No scents for me this month so far and only a few samples last month as I'm saving myself for my trip to France at the end of the month. I'm going to visit the Molinard shop and museum in Grasse, and I'm sure I'll come home with some Habanita. Also, there are some really nice L'Occitane shops in Nice where my nose will steer me for sure.

Bought 100ml bottle of Byzance blind on ebay (for a very good price ) - I've been contemplating a purchase for a while, having fallen in love with the bottle. Fortunately I like it very much from the little bit I put on my wrist, just as well as it lasts a looong time on me.

Also got a couple of 1ml testers of Arabian perfume oils/attars to try (got a truly tiny sample of a third free too - plenty to give me a decent wearing though because you only need such a tiny amount).

Basenotes Institution

The thread about Youth Dew prompted me to try two new Youth Dew items . The bath oil - 30 mls and the extrait mini.

I bought Grey Flannel yesterday and I don't like it :'(

but I received Ombre Rose and Eau d'Orange Verte today

Two Guerlain: Vol de Nuit parfum and Apres l'Ondee edt
    I'm a happy lady .

I put in my first order with Demeter last night! Lilac, Kahala Blue Hawaii, Hawaiian Vanilla, and HOTKISS Heart Breaker. I'm very excited to try these, since I'm anxious to see how the quality compares with the price and I've heard such positive things about them.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Two Guerlain: Vol de Nuit parfum and Apres l'Ondee edt
    I'm a happy lady .
    Great taste turquoisewater ! My faves !

I bought some Youth Dew extrait -again - I couldn't resist - great ebay offer.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The discontinued Jacques Bogart Furyo 1.66 oz from xmen's sale
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Bought 3ml of Vetiver (dry type) oil to improve my notes recognition.

Also, the last couple of perfume oils I got samples of came with a tiny sample of an Arabian oil called 'Black Musk' . It's listed as a men's but I absolutely love it so I've just ordered 6ml., I've been wearing just a touch in the evening the last few days. It's a warm, deep 'evening' scent to me. It's described as 'A shadowy concoction of black fragrance notes...rosemary, basil, amber, patchouli, cedar wood, leather, sandalwood, coriander, juniper & oak moss.'

Back on the full-bottle road to debt... Delrae Bois de Paradis

Yesterday I purchased Donna Karan Gold although i accidently ended up with Gold Sparkling instead of just the original Gold, which I think I may have preferred. But Sparkling (which doesn't actually have anything sparkling in it) is nice albeit a bit light.

This came in a pack with Missoni Acqua (warehouse purchase) which is quite nice although very much outside the type of fragrance that I usally go for - quite sharp and cool smelling.

Also tested Tom Ford Black Orchid - loved it...then after 15 minutes I hated it, then after after another half an hour I loved it again. I think I'll go back for it, I found it quite unique and it lasted well over 8 hours on me!
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

I finally caved in and bought a bottle of Serge Lutens Borneo 1835 well i've been eyeing it ever since the early part of June
    Last edited by lightgreen22; 12th August 2009 at 02:54 AM.
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Black Cashmere from a very gracious Basenoter.
    Evenstar

An itsy bitsy bottle of L'aimant parfum

I just received a bottle of Guerlain Terracotta Voile d'Ete and a mini of Balmain Vent Vert parfum (older version).

Well I took advantage of that 25% off coupon and went to town TWICE at Parfum1. (Hey, I'm new to this so I have a lot of catching up to do, lol!)
    So my first order included Lolita Lempicka (original) which I love, Parfum Sacre (blind buy and I love it), and a 3.4 oz tester of Gucci Envy (got all those stars from Turin but I haven't made up my mind about it yet).
    The second package on its way contains several I've not smelled before but they were either really inexpensive or I'd read good reviews by fellow BNers that I just went for it. Oh, the Internet is a dangerous place for my credit card! So that order contains Belle En Rykiel Edp, Badgley Mischka gift set (which was only $2 more than the single bottle so I HAD to buy it), Mauboussin Edp tester, Bal A Versailles Edt tester, and Molinard Ambre Edt.

Oh, and I also ordered the sample pack from L'Artisan Parfumeurs. I don't know if it's my skin or the fragrance, but they don't seem to have good staying power on me. Anyway, I tried Premier Figuier, Safran Troublant, Mure et Musc Extreme, Ambre Extreme, and Tea for Two. My favorite, by far, is Safran Troublant. I've never smelled anything like it! Unfortunately it didn't last long either, but I think I would at least invest in a decant. The reviews were spot on about Tea for Two smelling like cigarette smoke. Not quite my thing but very interesting to smell all the same.

Now I can't wait for the 29th!

Welcome Jen--what a haul!

Regarding L'Artisan--no, you are not the only one who has longevity problems

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Today I bought ... August 09 purchases...

I bought the following today: Visit 3.4oz., Trusardi Uomo 3.4oz., Niki de Saint Phalle 1oz., and Les Perles de Lalique 3.4oz.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 12th August 2009 at 02:40 PM.

Vintage Givenchy III from a wonderful fellow Basenoter.
    It used to be my mother's signature scent until it was discontinued. Now I'm getting it for her as a nostalgic present.

After trying to hold off on new purchases for a few weeks, I went ahead and ordered from Luckyscent:

CDG 2
    CDG Rhubarb
    PDN Eau Turqoise
    PDN Vanille Intense

Also: free samples of Peau de Peche, Mogador and Rien

Obviously, my splurge for the month.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

At the Dutyfree shop after my trip I bought a small bottle of Prada infusion d'iris and a regular bottle of Dolce Vita. When I got home a bottle of Chene from a BN'er was waiting in the mailbox
    Last edited by ineespenes; 12th August 2009 at 07:26 PM.

Well I did it! I finally bought the big atomizer bottle of Habanita parfum! I have been lusting after it for some time but getting it for under 80 dollars shipped was irresistible so what was I to do?

Hooray!
    Last edited by Zibeline; 13th August 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JitterpigJen View Post
    Well I took advantage of that 25% off coupon and went to town TWICE at Parfum1. (Hey, I'm new to this so I have a lot of catching up to do, lol!)
    So my first order included Lolita Lempicka (original) which I love, Parfum Sacre (blind buy and I love it), and a 3.4 oz tester of Gucci Envy (got all those stars from Turin but I haven't made up my mind about it yet).
    The second package on its way contains several I've not smelled before but they were either really inexpensive or I'd read good reviews by fellow BNers that I just went for it. Oh, the Internet is a dangerous place for my credit card! So that order contains Belle En Rykiel Edp, Badgley Mischka gift set (which was only $2 more than the single bottle so I HAD to buy it), Mauboussin Edp tester, Bal A Versailles Edt tester, and Molinard Ambre Edt.

Oh, and I also ordered the sample pack from L'Artisan Parfumeurs. I don't know if it's my skin or the fragrance, but they don't seem to have good staying power on me. Anyway, I tried Premier Figuier, Safran Troublant, Mure et Musc Extreme, Ambre Extreme, and Tea for Two. My favorite, by far, is Safran Troublant. I've never smelled anything like it! Unfortunately it didn't last long either, but I think I would at least invest in a decant. The reviews were spot on about Tea for Two smelling like cigarette smoke. Not quite my thing but very interesting to smell all the same.

Now I can't wait for the 29th!

Welcome!

Wow, JitterpigJen is on a roll! Welcome! :wave:

I just bought a huge bottle of Marc Jacobs Lemon splash at Marshall's for $19.99. How could I resist that? So far, I think it's fairly nice - unisex for sure - and has a lemon rind quality up top, perfect for splishy-splashing, and a sort of clean laundry drydown. That aspect is called "cotton musk". This came out just this year...so it went to the discounters quickly. I also saw cucumber and amber, but this one jumped into my basket. I think I'll enjoy it during the late summer dog days.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 13th August 2009 at 05:18 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I bought a bottle of Fracas parfum - a proper bottle instead of my usual Ebay minis- I am dying to compare the two to see if I have been taken for a ride by those minis all this time.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 14th August 2009 at 09:15 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Samsara EDP
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Cuir de Lancome at TKMaxx. It was a blind buy, but had read the reviews on Basenotes first. Really liking it.
    DONNA

Marc Jacobs Essence, 100 ml

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Figue-Iris 125 ml.
    ~ Anais ~

Blog Entries

Hi all!

It's been a big shopping day for me - today was my day to go to all the stores we'll be visiting for the SF Meet-Up in two weeks and warn them we're coming.

So I did my shopping now and talked to the SA's all over town. Everyone's excited and some are putting together special sample packs for us and others will have some under-the-counter sneak previews for us. This should be quite fun!

At Perfumerie Jacqueline, I sniffed a few. I swear, it's like a museum of rare discontinued perfumes. Through Basenotes and personal experience, I feel like I know a decent amount about perfumes, but I've never heard of probably 75% of their stock. I ended up buying Jean-Charles Brosseau Fruit De Bois, which I'd never heard of before seeing it there.

At the Diptyque boutique, they had a great special on their Miel De Callune candles, so I picked one up. They threw in some samples, including Oyedo, which I haven't tested before.

Then, at Saks, I picked up the Acqua Di Parma Fico di Amalfi I enjoyed a couple of weeks ago. My favorite SA was working, so he threw in a bunch of samples (he knows what keeps me coming back...)

Look forward to seeing everyone in two weeks!
    Last edited by rogalal; 16th August 2009 at 04:12 AM.