Code of Conduct

Default Eau de Guerlain or Eau de Hermes?

I am thinking of getting a high end eau de cologne and was wondering which one I might get. Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Eau de Guerlain or Eau de Hermes?

Apples and oranges. While Eau de Guerlain might indeed be a high quality eau de Cologne-type fragrance, Eau d'Hermes is nothing of the sort. It is instead a profoundly animalic leather scent with a conspicuous cumin note that many find highly objectionable. (I happen to love it.) For a more traditional eau de Cologne against which to compare the Guerlain you might try Acqua di Parma Colonia, Monsieur Balmain, Iskander, or Eau d'Orange Verte.

Happy hunting!

Eau d'Hermes is definitely not a traditional "Eau de cologne" scent. With that said...

Hermes!
    - E.J.

Sur la Plage

They are very, very different. I personally prefer Eau d'Hermes - it is quite unique and not a traditional EDC.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 2nd August 2009 at 01:21 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

smeller

Everything has been said already.

The only thing those two have in common is the word "eau".

If you really want a traditional eau de cologne, stick with Guerlain... or get Roger & Gallet's Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille and save some money.

Does anyone really need a traditional cologne anymore? I have a giant bottle of Nicolai's Cologne Solange and the thrill it offers while splashing it on is like the one I get wearing penny loafers and a navy blue blazer, preppy nostalgia.
    That said, go for Eau d'Hermes - one of the great creations of Edmond Roudnitska, that has no peer and is not, in any way, traditional like the perfectly made, Eau de Guerlain.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd August 2009 at 02:39 AM.

I saw a review that called Eau de Hermes a good every day substitute for Mouchoir de Monsieur. Is this an accurate description? Is the opening less offensive than MdM?

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I saw a review that called Eau de Hermes a good every day substitute for Mouchoir de Monsieur. Is this an accurate description? Is the opening less offensive than MdM?
    If you dislike the civet in Mouchior de Monsieur's opening you're not liable to enjoy the top notes on Eau d'Hermès either. They're no less animalic - just different. Eau d'Hermès is something that really ought to be sampled before purchase. I don't think the two scents are otherwise equivalent, either. One is a lavender and vanilla centered fougère with a heavy dose of civet, and the other is an animalic leather composition with cumin and citrus.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 2nd August 2009 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I wasn't aware that the opening of MdM was considered offensive, I love it. More indolic bergamont and civet for me!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I wasn't aware that the opening of MdM was considered offensive, I love it. More indolic bergamont and civet for me!
    Me too. I'll take a double helping please!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Does anyone really need a traditional cologne anymore?
    Yes, I do

Last edited by TwoRoads; 2nd August 2009 at 04:42 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

They're both great IMO, but I'd go with the Eau de Guerlain

Eau d'Hermes is indescribably wonderful! I bought it as a blind buy. But, then again, I do a lot of blind buying and I love animalic scents. So it was an educated blind buy.

But i agree with what everyone says above.

Eau de Guerlain is also terrific, but it is a traditional eau de cologne and totally different from EdH.

Eau de Guerlain smells quite nice but doesn't last long. I remember someone describing Eau d'Hermes as "sweaty oranges" and I think that is pretty spot on from what I've smelled. Its on my "to be purchased at a later date" list. Its great.

Is there anyone who didn't like Eau d'Hermes at first, but came to love it later on?

Everytime I'm at a fragrance store, I sample EdH and the first time I could only smell the animalic notes and they scared the sh*t out of me. Second and third time I could get the citrus, but the animalic notes still frighten me a bit.

I did wrist tests only, and to date haven't given it a full wearing. I believe I've read somewhere that it really shouldn't be smelled with the nose to the wrist, but what's to be smelled is it's sillage.

Everything I've read about EdH really intrigues me and I want to like it, but everytime I sample it my nose says no
    Last edited by robbert; 3rd August 2009 at 10:23 AM.

Does anyone really need a traditional cologne anymore?
    Yes, please!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    Is there anyone who didn't like Eau d'Hermes at first, but came to love it later on?

Everytime I'm at a fragrance store, I sample EdH and the first time I could only smell the animalic notes and they scared the sh*t out of me. Second and third time I could get the citrus, but the animalic notes still frighten me a bit.

I did wrist tests only, and to date haven't given it a full wearing. I believe I've read somewhere that it really shouldn't be smelled with the nose to the wrist, but what's to be smelled is it's sillage.

Everything I've read about EdH really intrigues me and I want to like it, but everytime I sample it my nose says no
    Push comes to shove, you've got to follow your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    Yes, please!
    My bad, I was hasty. I need a classic cologne, too!

Eau d'Hermes is definitely an acquired taste, but it is multifaceted. It is definitely not a traditional cologne, probably the only refreshing aspect comes in the fougere drydown (at least that's how it behaves on me). I got it blindly and rather like it but I would not recommend anyone else get it blindly.

I recall trying Eau de Guerlain and found something off putting about it, not sure what. Might have been a bad sample not sure. I'd lean to Eau de Rochas instead.
    In any event, there are plenty of good traditional colognes out there and some modern day ones which are great:
    Thierry Mugler Cologne
    Du Coq
    Imperiale
    Extra Vielle

With the wallop of neroli in there, I'd put Habit Rouge Light in there as well, but I know I'll get shouted down.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Thanks for the help. I'll get one and if I don't like it I can always sell it here!