Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon's Extract of Limes

I tried the recent anthology release today for the first time.

After trying it, I read the reviews of the previous Extract of Limes.

What struck me is what is no longer present. I derive this solely from the reviews.

There are four reviews. Of these take note of the following comments, which I extracted:

odysseusm: The dry-down is creamy sandalwood and light musk, with a lingering hint of lime...
    the_good_life: It’s got that fresh, tangy top note which so gracefully settles into a comforting, highly refined leather note - not unlike the one in Creed’s Royal English Leather, mind you, but more restrained, of course, and making for an enchanting dialogue with the citrus.
    n8nmc: Like all scents from Penhaligon's it has a very english (sandalwood, leather) undertone to this lime rendition.

I would state that my experience would say that the sandalwood, musk or leather notes are no longer present. It starts out with a burst of lime, then neroli emerges and it pretty well disappears after that.

Furthermore, the notes given per Penhaligon's website are as follows:

Head notes: Lime Oil, Lemon Oil, Petit Grain Oil
    Heart notes: Neroli
    Base notes: Extract of Limes has no base notes

I do not know what they would have indicated in previous versions, but I think it is a safe inference that it has changed in removing any basenote reference that the reviewers of previous versions noted.

Just thought I would share that.

Default Re: Penhaligon's Extract of Limes

I tried this last week and agree. In fact, I found this very unsatisfying without the base, as the (synthetic) orange note, which works so well in Castile, now imposes on the lime in an unsatisfactory manner, the basenote anchor missing. I would rather have the pure short-lived lime of Trumper's or the well-balanced rose-orange beauty of Castile, but this doesn't work for me at all.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

That's too bad. I have a vintage vial in a Penhaligon's sample pack of several years ago. It has several discontinued treasures. Don't know why they dumb things down, I supposed that true sandalwood is getting rare and pricey. But that really made the scent into something interesting.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I agree that the vintage was spectacular. I have not smelled the new juice and cannot comment on it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Did you try the others in the collection?

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    That's too bad. I have a vintage vial in a Penhaligon's sample pack of several years ago. It has several discontinued treasures. Don't know why they dumb things down, I supposed that true sandalwood is getting rare and pricey. But that really made the scent into something interesting.
    At its current price it deserves something pricey in it!

Quote Originally Posted by pancks View Post
    Did you try the others in the collection?
    Not yet. I have a sample of the verbana one.

DREADFUL! The older version is spectacular. I still have a bottle and am sniffing it now. It has been my favorite lime for a long time. I haven't smelled the Anthology version yet and am not pleased to hear your review. I would have expected them to change the name if they made a major change to the formulation.
    As to the notes on Penhaligon's sites, they are often more of a suggestion of accords and less a specific ingredientesque list as many pyramids seem to be.

Oh well, we'll see.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.