Code of Conduct

Default fine particles forming a dense white cloud which lies suspended towards the base...

well, i tried to sum up my question in the thread title...did you guys ever notice fine particles forming a dense white cloud floating towards the base of any of your scents...? i have noticed this in three of the fragrances that i have. These are...

Patricia de Nicolai New York
    Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Profumum Fumidus

i do not detect any change in smell. I showed these two bottles to my Dad, who is a Scientist, Heading the Research and development dept. in a Agro-Chemical based company. according to him, it's either a precipitate or could have happened due to some error in the filteration process. ofcourse for confirmed results one would have to run a analysis.

Anyone here who could shed some light on this matter? especially in terms of how it effects the smell of the scent? they smell perfect to me, i just have to stir it up a bit before i use it...

Default Re: fine particles forming a dense white cloud which lies suspended towards the base.

Could just be debris from the natural materials use...I know they usually put perfumes through a filter, but sometimes things can grow (maybe?).

I wouldn't worry about it either way. Could also just be dust that got inside somehow.

Default Re: fine particles forming a dense white cloud which lies suspended towards the base.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Could just be debris from the natural materials use...I know they usually put perfumes through a filter, but sometimes things can grow (maybe?).

I wouldn't worry about it either way. Could also just be dust that got inside somehow.
    Even if the white cloud comes alive I think the alcohol will kill it before it crawls out of the bottle. I agree with you though, sofresh - it's probably just denser oils sinking to the bottom while less dense oils rise to the top. Jenson, maybe if you give them a shake it'll clear up a little? Hope it works out!

Bump.

I was just about to start a new thread asking if anyone had seen this happen!

My Burberry Touch has done exactly this...what looks like a cloud of largish dust particles, which were definitely not there when I bought it, yet no change in smell as far as I can tell. So far Touch is the only one...I've been storing it in the light, but only very indirect shadowed lamplight. Temperature has been reasonably under control.

I think it's a precipitate, that one of the compounds in there isn't quite soluble enough in the ethanol, and is depositing as flecks of solid. The cause of the supersaturation could be that there's a very small leak somewhere that lets ethanol vapors out, slowly raising the concentration of all the smelly solute compounds over time. (I'm unfortunately guilty of being a chemist).

I can forsee two consequences:

1. As this one compound becomes less concentrated in solution, the juice starts to lose a little of the strength of this one compound's smell, so something may feel like it's missing from the scent. Though that would probably take a while.

2. The more significant problem, which I think is more likely to happen, is that some of those little bastards will find their way up the straw and into the spray mechanism, clogging it at one narrow point or another, even if only partially.

It looks like someone mentioned this a while ago. http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ht=precipitate